Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Scipiotik posted:

So i'm not loving twisting blades on my rogue, just not meshing after I was a bonespear previously.

What are some other fun builds for someone who is level 30 and has very little free time to play!

Penetrating shot with the aspect that splits it and the imbuement skills is super fun. Use combo points and your basic skill to get vuln, then use penetrating shot and watching things explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Martian Manfucker posted:

Your build is not set up properly if you are wanting to play Blood Lance is the first thing I'm noticing. I don't see your gear rolls on the planner so I'm not sure what you're wearing but that could be part of it too.

The thing about Blood Lance is you are playing for Overpowers. That's it. Vulnerable, crit chance, crit damage, none of that matters (or works, in most cases. There are a few edge cases). All you care about are overpowers, and the way to get the biggest overpowers are: max life, fortify, attack speed and overpower damage %. You can wear any trash gear at low levels as long as it has +max life (on the slots it can roll) and you're good.

To that end, you have a lot of misplaced skills that aren't doing anything for you:

https://d4builds.gg/builds/09c0ca81-4e6a-4d9b-b3a6-9bfdbfe33b9c/

Try this. There's a few things to keep in mind. First being that overpower is not affected by skill ranks in Blood Lance so you only need 1 there. Corpse Explosion is only there for essence and to get you a few extra Blood Orbs now and then (with Embalmer aspect). Corpse Tendrils + Grasping Veins is your big damage window. I know it says crit damage, but this works with overpower for some reason. It's definitely a bug but it works in your favour. This works best with the corpse heart but you may not have it which is fine. Just manually cast it.

Also, you should be trying your best to use Blood Mist not as a defensive, but an offensive spell. It is affected by Rathma's Chosen and does an absolute truckload of damage if you can use it when you have the 12 stacks. Just be near the monsters and they will die very fast.

Basically it will go like this: Walk into a pack/boss with 12 stacks of Rathma's, Blood Mist on 'em. Use tendrils on a corpse it generates and lay into them with Lances. When you run out of essence you can pop some corpses or just spam Hemorrhage, it attacks very very fast and will fill essence up quick. Keep an eye on your Rathma stacks and save them for Blood Mist even if it means running around for a second or two to not accidentally waste it. Repeat. If you've got any questions feel free to ask, I've been enjoying my necro and have put a lot of time into testing out the weird poo poo with overpower.
This is really awesome, thank you! I was starting to try using Blood Mist more offensively but sometimes I pop out of it in the middle of a pack so I still have to work to do there. My items are all trash tier (as in affixes... they're all highest item power possible and best mix of affixes, but nothing special/specialized) so I didnt bother listing out stats/affixes. My plan was to sneak into WT3 so I could tag along on Legion events and do some Helltides to stack up materials for crafting/shift Aspects around and get better equipment that is actually worth investing in, but that seems to be biting me in the butt.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 1, 2023

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Scipiotik posted:

So i'm not loving twisting blades on my rogue, just not meshing after I was a bonespear previously.

What are some other fun builds for someone who is level 30 and has very little free time to play!

Flurry is fun with a rogue -- you can get the most important aspect from one of the dungeons in I think Fractured Peaks, and after that you just want to stack stuff that adds defense or heals on hit so you can wade into mobs and slice and dice.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Scipiotik posted:

I played a combo flurry / rapid fire build for quite a while that was good. It was 90% flurry with rapid fire for single targets and bosses though so not a real ranged build or anything.

Twisting blades feels pretty good to me as long as you always have the aspect that makes blades circle you though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flurry is great. Just a circle (with aspect) of bullshit you spam and it does one of three things on commands based on what you imbue your weapon with.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is really awesome, thank you! I was starting to try using Blood Mist more offensively but sometimes I pop out of it in the middle of a pack so I still have to work to do there. My items are all trash tier (as in affixes... they're all highest item power possible and best mix of affixes, but nothing special/specialized) so I didnt bother listing out stats/affixes. My plan was to sneak into WT3 so I could tag along on Legion events and do some Helltides to stack up materials for crafting/shift Aspects around and get better equipment that is actually worth investing in, but that seems to be biting me in the butt.

I messed up the build link but hopefully this should work?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Martian Manfucker posted:

I messed up the build link but hopefully this should work?

That does indeed work, thank you again!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Scipiotik posted:

Try flurry

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Scipiotik posted:

I had a lot of fun with penetrating shot in S0. It's like having a gun that can change between sniper rifle and shotgun with the press of a button. The sound effect of blowing up a whole corridor with shadow imbue is massively satisfying

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Is flurry still good now that they nerfed the poo poo out of siphoning strikes? I haven't played it since they reduced rogue healing by 80% or whatever.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Substandard posted:

Is flurry still good now that they nerfed the poo poo out of siphoning strikes? I haven't played it since they reduced rogue healing by 80% or whatever.

I’m flurry with poison imbuement and it seems decently tanky; I did the first capstone dungeon at level 43 without issue. Didn’t play rogue prior to the patch so I can’t comment on the difference.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Every survivability / damage issue is a WT4 problem. You will be fine 1-65 with any build you want as long as you put the right aspects on in WT3

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Substandard posted:

Momentum aspect healing went way up and it kind of balances it out

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Free yourself from the boring DPS focus of crit and vuln. I’m running around with 60% move speed from my boots and amulet and am having way more fun even if it takes one more proc to kill enemies.

I should hopefully be able to get my cooldown reduction low enough that I can have constant cataclysm uptime. I have to give up a fair amount of Lucky Hit Chance to make it work, but the bonus is that Cataclysm had a 97% LHC as a skill so that really helps pick up the slack.

:shopkeeper::shopkeeper::shopkeeper:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

For a skill like Cataclysm the lucky hit is spread over the duration so that, on average, you will get 0.97 lucky hits per cataclysm.

Of all the changes that came in the big nerf patch, CDR is the one that makes me the most sad. I just like to press my buttons

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
today i found a cellar that has no enemies in it but can still kill you. on hardcore. lmao (glad i was low-level)

it's a bunch of "ancient mines" or something on the floor. i had no idea what i was looking at. basically traps that trigger when you walk over them and can stunlock you to death

emdash fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 1, 2023

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I don't know if I'm getting zoning issues or the barber just deletes things so quickly that they get erased from the game. 4 treasure goblins vanished into the ether while I was directly on top of them, dropping no loot. Same with that helltide boss with the massive health pool. I had him down to 5% !

This always seems to happen when I move even slightly across the map in the open world. If it's zoning, the game is a lot more slick about when it comes to other player characters. I've followed around groups in helltides but they at least vanish off screen.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Tarnop posted:

For a skill like Cataclysm the lucky hit is spread over the duration so that, on average, you will get 0.97 lucky hits per cataclysm.

Of all the changes that came in the big nerf patch, CDR is the one that makes me the most sad. I just like to press my buttons

If you press your buttons too fast we might lose KPI MAU PPI

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

emdash posted:

today i found a cellar that has no enemies in it but can still kill you. on hardcore. lmao (glad i was low-level)

it's a bunch of "ancient mines" or something on the floor. i had no idea what i was looking at. basically traps that trigger when you walk over them and can stunlock you to death

i found one of these and it took me a long rear end time to figure out, you have to run over the sigil shown, then dash and not get hit by the aoe, it requires way too precise timing to be worth it in hc i imagine

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

faantastic posted:

i found one of these and it took me a long rear end time to figure out, you have to run over the sigil shown, then dash and not get hit by the aoe, it requires way too precise timing to be worth it in hc i imagine
And here I just thought there was some combo I never figured out.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ice Spikes not hitting monsters at close range is messing with me way more than I thought it would lol

This can't be intended, right?

Ice spikes absolutely have some Z height targeting fuckery going on. They consistently miss stuff if you shoot at something on a steep enough downslope, and certain enemies straight up cannot be hit at all. Like the exploding blood bombs some bosses poo poo out, and lunatic fallen seem to be drat near impossible to hit as well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mylan posted:

Ice spikes absolutely have some Z height targeting fuckery going on. They consistently miss stuff if you shoot at something on a steep enough downslope, and certain enemies straight up cannot be hit at all. Like the exploding blood bombs some bosses poo poo out, and lunatic fallen seem to be drat near impossible to hit as well.

That's right, I have noticed the issue with Fallen Lunatics. I always have to wait for them to get in close so I can freeze them.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I beat elias remnant of hatred to unlock torment and then got absolutely curbstomped by the first bear I came across. So now there's this weird limbo I'm in, where WT3 is too easy and WT4 is too ball-crunchingly hard. What do?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I beat elias remnant of hatred to unlock torment and then got absolutely curbstomped by the first bear I came across. So now there's this weird limbo I'm in, where WT3 is too easy and WT4 is too ball-crunchingly hard. What do?

I had the same going from WT2 into WT3. At least in WT3 you can just push nightmare dungeons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well you can:

Run NM dungeons and try to get an ancestral weapon which will increase your DPS by half
Sneak and creep around in Helltides scooping up cinders like a remora
Drop back to WT3 and run helltides and then go back up to WT4 and open your mystery chests
Run regular dungeons to grind reknown and also hopefully get some ancestral drops

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh you can also run the capstone dungeon for high-level gear

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ex post facho posted:

Ancients Oath with a Thorns build suddenly occurs to me..

So I've been building around this with rend and it's surprisingly good even without razorplate. I just stand in one spot in a pack, activate 3 shouts, and Steel Grasp any distance enemy while they kill themselves on thorns and bleed. It's also very fast at the move speed cap with Berserking and a move speed amulet.

Really enjoying it and its survivability in WT4.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Legion events are pretty good because you can sponge XP off other people killing the mobs and then get some loot at the end.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
If you beat the capstone you should be able to handle doing the regular wt4 dungeons for whispers. That's what I've been doing. You'll die occasionally to elites in packs or with annoying affixes

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The tree doesn't seem to drop ancestrals at all though if you are under leveled, so you are just getting drops from whatever you kill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Substandard posted:

Legion events are pretty good because you can sponge XP off other people killing the mobs and then get some loot at the end.

Yeah these are great and happen every 25 minutes (?). Helltides.com is one of many sites that keeps a timer going.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Vic posted:

I have fond memories playing D1 online because it was all cheaters and you knew because you could view other player inventories via your publicly available diablo cheater program. And people would lie about cheating too when you tried to play legit and only used the program to check.

I learned how to type fast in D1 Bnet channel wars, and had both a "legit" character and a hacked char.

My path towards corruption truly began when the other players in my clean game got angry at me for spamming a 255-charge Staff of the Apocalypse, which normally could only roll a handful of charges.
A friendly player dropped it for me and I didn't think overly regarding itemization in those days. :(

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

hawowanlawow posted:

I think ancestral can upgrade another tier?

No, but stats like armor and damage does not stop scaling and ancestral can get higher ilevels than sacred. Rings and amulets get increased resistances but since resistance barely does anything anyway you can run with sacred rings and amulet if you find a good one and not miss out.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
still haven't seen a wrathful malignant invoker lol

I have like 40+ of every other kind in my consumables inventory atm

lol
lmao

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i dunno about other classes but this isnt true for necro. a lot of clutch glyphs get much more powerful with levelling but you can find a board that allows a glyph to proc its enhanced ability very easily without the extended range

it’s not so much that you can’t find it without the extended range in my experience, just that you can pick them up a lot more efficiently. of the common glyphs and boards for barb, iirc only imbiber couldn’t hit the required stats with its default range on the board everyone puts it in. in necro though once i level up i forget which glyph s couple more levels i’ll be able to claw back 5 or 6 points to use elsewhere.

and leveled glyphs are a lot of many builds power, not just the range but the bonus that gets increased

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
found the Butcher in a random cellar and killed him face to face today, feels great man.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's right, I have noticed the issue with Fallen Lunatics. I always have to wait for them to get in close so I can freeze them.

Nooo. It's way more fun to wait and then move an inch to the side. The moment they get close enough the little bastards stop and start to vibrate and you just scoot out the way.

Sometimes I have a little train of them across pootling across a room just exploding to no avail just behind me.

Far easier than bothering to kill them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

harrygomm posted:

it’s not so much that you can’t find it without the extended range in my experience, just that you can pick them up a lot more efficiently. of the common glyphs and boards for barb, iirc only imbiber couldn’t hit the required stats with its default range on the board everyone puts it in. in necro though once i level up i forget which glyph s couple more levels i’ll be able to claw back 5 or 6 points to use elsewhere.

and leveled glyphs are a lot of many builds power, not just the range but the bonus that gets increased
I think the first/default board doesnt have enough... Willpower (?) in 3 range to be able to trigger the extra ability. As a WA Barb I used a bunch of Willpower-dependent Glyphs (not sure if they were optimal though) but I had to leave a dex-based Glyph on the starter board.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

zoux posted:

Yeah these are great and happen every 25 minutes (?). Helltides.com is one of many sites that keeps a timer going.

Legion events are incredibly boring and the drops are usually terrible, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Rexicon1 posted:

If you press your buttons too fast we might lose KPI MAU PPI

get a better gimmick