Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What exactly are the ethics rules when a lawyer is being paid for by another defendant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lammasu posted:

What exactly are the ethics rules when a lawyer is being paid for by another defendant?

Generally it's to be avoided if you're an ethical attorney who cares about keeping his license.
In theory those concerns can be avoided if everyone signs the right waivers and follows protocols.
This never really works.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
But Trump and his circle have just the best lawyers. Just the best.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
:munch:

DeO already lied; it seems like adding him as a defendant simply includes all those involved with the alleged destruction, or attempted destruction, of evidence under subpoena. Sure one can always flip, but what would be the plea: Guilty of perjury, 3yr prison, versus accessory to destruction of property 1yr prison. (I'm inventing those sentences). Seems less like "flip please" and more like "have another count and it costs us nothing to list another defendant".

(In fact last week I was wondering if they extended the indictment because the WA grand jury wasn't ready. :chef:)

T is on Tollbooth Special claiming the indictment is coming any day, which matches the statement from F Willis, and the schedule that was announced months ago. Last indictment was preceded by T leaking it, so with luck it will be this week.

Tuesdays are good days for indictments; right?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Those guys are probably looking to go to Landsberg prison so they can later reenact Kristallnacht ride the Trump grift train in perpetuity.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Generally it's to be avoided if you're an ethical attorney who cares about keeping his license.
In theory those concerns can be avoided if everyone signs the right waivers and follows protocols.
This never really works.

Trump is leaving a trail of disbarments in his wake, isn't he?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lammasu posted:

Trump is leaving a trail of disbarments in his wake, isn't he?

Yes, several of his former attorneys have been disbarred already.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

gregday posted:

Looking forward to his lawyer arguing that his “Never saw nothing” answer in DOJ interviews is not a lie because actually, it’s a double negative and he saw tons of poo poo.

Posted this in the RWM thread but it works here also

The 6pm guy on WGOP had a novel idea today.

He said there's a possible defense for Trump because "he listened to his lawyers". Guy admitted Giuliani was wrong for the most part but tried to paint Donald as the victim because everything he learned about Dominion machines and all that was his attorneys telling him that and not something that Trump declared on his own. I know that "ineffective counsel" can be a defense except, in this case, we know that's full of poo poo because Trump got on TV and Tweeted crying about rigged elections well before the polls even opened.

The funniest part was the host saying that "You never know, Donald Trump could throw those lawyers under the bus", THe best and brightest ones I imagine. Yeah, radio guy, Trump MIGHT throw someone under a bus if it saves his rear end. It would be a first.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Ineffective counsel is not a defense in criminal matters.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

And if Trump did say that his lawyers essentially told him to break the law then the prosecutors get to pierce the veil using his own statements as probable cause that they're involved in furthering a crime.

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

BiggerBoat posted:

He said there's a possible defense for Trump because "he listened to his lawyers". Guy admitted Giuliani was wrong for the most part but tried to paint Donald as the victim because everything he learned about Dominion machines and all that was his attorneys telling him that and not something that Trump declared on his own. I know that "ineffective counsel" can be a defense except, in this case, we know that's full of poo poo because Trump got on TV and Tweeted crying about rigged elections well before the polls even opened.

The funniest part was the host saying that "You never know, Donald Trump could throw those lawyers under the bus", THe best and brightest ones I imagine. Yeah, radio guy, Trump MIGHT throw someone under a bus if it saves his rear end. It would be a first.

This is not so much Ineffective Assistance of Counsel as it is a sort of play for Reliance on Advice of Counsel. Reliance can sometimes work in a criminal case because it makes it harder for the prosecution to establish the mens rea element of the charges.

That assumes, of course, that you were being relatively forthcoming with your lawyer(s) and were acting on a good faith interpretation of their reasoned legal advice. If your actions have already triggered the Crime Fraud exception you may have trouble making that argument.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
It's also bullshit because the only person that told him he could keep classified documents was the jack rear end from Judicial Watch.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
There was a thing about Trump and some of his lawyers making drat sure some of the other lawyers wouldn’t have a full picture of their shenanigans which is not the best optics to be had if you want to play the victim of bad lawyering.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

The way I understand it is that in order for you to claim you relied on counsel you have to give up the documents and other evidence showing you relied on counsel which means no more attorney client privilege. So, uh, yeah, I’d bet money that for every Giuliani telling trump to “ignore the rules, it’s fine”, there’s 8 others going “no that’s illegal you will go to jail”.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

BiggerBoat posted:

That is some sovereign citizen bullshit, there was no evidence that the election was stolen and the only people that were claiming it was were known cranks, advice of council is not running around until you find an coked up, drunk and mentally ill guy that happened to be admitted to the bar to tell you what you want to hear.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michigan prosecutors charge Trump allies in felonies involving voting machines, illegal ‘testing’

quote:

A former Republican attorney general candidate and another supporter of former President Donald Trump have been criminally charged in Michigan in connection with accessing and tampering with voting machines after the 2020 election, according to court records.

Matthew DePerno, a Republican lawyer who was endorsed by Trump in an unsuccessful run for Michigan attorney general last year, was charged with undue possession of a voting machine and conspiracy, according to Oakland County court records.

Daire Rendon, a former Republican state representative, was charged with conspiracy to commit undue possession of a voting machine and false pretenses. A lawyer listed on court documents as representing Rendon could not be immediately reached for comment by phone.

Both were arraigned remotely Tuesday afternoon, according to Richard Lynch, the court administrator for Oakland County’s 6th Circuit.

A special prosecutor, D.J. Hilson, has been reviewing the investigation and considering charges since September. He convened a grand jury in March to determine whether criminal indictments should be issued, according to court documents.

In a statement, Hilson said the charges were authorized by “an independent citizens grand jury,” and that his office did not make any recommendations.

Those charged in Michigan are the latest facing legal consequences for alleged crimes committed after embracing Trump’s lie that the 2020 election was stolen.

The charges come as the former president is investigated for election interference in Georgia. Separately, Trump said in mid-July that he is a target of a federal investigation into efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

DePerno, whose name was incorrectly listed as “DeParno,” in court records, was named as a “prime instigator” in the case. He could not be reached by phone immediately for comment but has previously denied wrongdoing and has accused the state attorney general of “weaponizing her office.”

Five vote tabulators were taken from three counties in Michigan to a hotel room, according to documents released last year by Attorney General Dana Nessel’s office. Investigators found that the tabulators were broken into and “tests” were performed on the equipment. They said that DePerno was there.

Nine individuals, including DePerno and Rendon, were named by Nessel’s office as having been involved in the scheme.

When asked whether the broader investigation continues, Hilson, the special prosecutor said in an email “Still more to come unrelated to the individuals currently charged.”

Because Nessel ran against DePerno in 2022, she secured a special prosecutor who wouldn’t have a conflict of interest in the case and could operate independently.

Charges were slow to come in the case, in part because prosecutors wanted clarification from a judge about what constitutes illegal possession of a voting machine. Some of the defendants argued that local clerks gave them permission to take the machines.

In July, a state judge ruled that it’s a felony to take a machine without a court order or permission directly from the Secretary of State’s office.

That felony is punishable by up to five years in prison.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

🚨 Aw poo poo here we go again 🚨

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

cr0y posted:

He’s probably lying about that too. :(

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1686481710840487936?t=2JEsQFG2309Xs4a_HWmwaA&s=19

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Trump's been indicted over the attempted coup.

e: clarified that this was Trump we were talking about

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

cr0y posted:

WHY DIDNT THEY CHARGE ME FOR MY CRIMES 2.5 YEARS AGO??

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Edward Mass posted:

Trump's been indicted over the attempted coup.

e: clarified that this was Trump we were talking about

four charges for obstruction, attempted election fraud, blah blah blah

the coup stuff is folded into the obstruction elements

full indictment: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149.1.0_1.pdf

conspiracy to defraud the us, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights

i think that last one is the reconstruction era law and people are going to be telling you, technically accurately, that it potentially carries the death penalty if anyone died in the attempt (up to five people did)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
it's not quite as much of a slam dunk and nowhere near as funny as "i, donald trump, am showing you, unnamed witness, these illegal documents which are very illegal" but the indictment's still a good read

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Google Jeb Bush posted:

four charges for obstruction, attempted election fraud, blah blah blah

the coup stuff is folded into the obstruction elements

full indictment: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149/gov.uscourts.dcd.258149.1.0_1.pdf

conspiracy to defraud the us, conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding, obstruction of an official proceeding, and conspiracy against rights

i think that last one is the reconstruction era law and people are going to be telling you, technically accurately, that it potentially carries the death penalty if anyone died in the attempt (up to five people did)
lol, lmao.

That's his third indictment, right? There's still at least Georgia and probably some other criming I'm forgetting about. He's been a very hard working crime president.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Somewhere, out there, a lot of people who work for the DoJ are getting absolutely tanked right now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

georgia's on basically the same topic but is state charges, which mostly matters if please god no he wins the election and tries to pardon himself

well, and just in being another bite at the apple in case of perpetual hung juries. I personally tend to side with "jurors hang for political reasons less than you'd think" but the odds certainly ain't zero when it's a trumpist potentially keeping literally Donald Trump out of the federal slammer.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
All I really want is for donny "dj" trump to die in jail. That can't be too much to ask for, can it?

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
For the law-knowers: are the co-conspirators listed in the indictment necessarily also being charged, or is it just "hey we know what you did, assholes"?

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Time to update the crime calendar.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Timmy Age 6 posted:

For the law-knowers: are the co-conspirators listed in the indictment necessarily also being charged, or is it just "hey we know what you did, assholes"?

i don't think anyone knows whether they'll be charged separately but, reading this, i would certainly rather not be in their shoes right now lol

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Google Jeb Bush posted:

it's not quite as much of a slam dunk and nowhere near as funny as "i, donald trump, am showing you, unnamed witness, these illegal documents which are very illegal" but the indictment's still a good read

Nothing will ever be as funny as that

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It's my birthday, an indictment would make it :kiss:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alctel posted:

Nothing will ever be as funny as that
Maybe not but there's some good attempts here

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My goal for my indictment reading is to figure out if Rudy is Co-Conspirator 1, 2, 3, 5, or 6. Money's on 6 but 3 is a strong contender.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Reports are that the case is assigned to Judge Tanya Sue Chutkan, an Obama appointee who has come down like a ton of bricks on the J6ers who have come before here (handing down sentences in excess of what the prosecution was asking for in some cases). Kind of the mirror opposite from that chudge her drew in Florida.

Chutkan is a black woman, so I'm sure Trump will have a lot to say about that.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Live stream is starting. 2min statement, no questions...

ps

Well 3min, but wow what a speaker, a bit nervous at first but shrug. Basically summarized the charges, attack was unprecedented, fueled by lies, targeting a bedrock function of our country; thanked the law enforcements on January 6th, they defended our country, institutions, and principles.

"Investigation of other individuals continues". In this case, "will seek speedy trial... indictment is an allegation... innocent until proven guilty" &c.

PhantomOfTheCopier fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 1, 2023

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I want to know which one Boris Epstyn is

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

My goal for my indictment reading is to figure out if Rudy is Co-Conspirator 1, 2, 3, 5, or 6. Money's on 6 but 3 is a strong contender.

Probably #1

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when they announce that there will be no questions, is it a general rule that the reporters who still shout questions are uninformed, or that they're hoping for a super longshot that provokes a reaction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Git
Aug 21, 2004

wrap it up, trumpailures