Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I think it could be a funny premise for someone outside the family to hear that Kelvin has a boyfriend and when they come to the church to find out more/do a puff piece?/confront the gemstones?, they assume that its BJ. Then they could confront him about his relationship with a Gemstone in a scene where both of them are talking past one another and making assumptions that the other knows what they're talking about. Especially considering BJ's shunning of traditional conservative values, and his general confidence and demeanor I think there's something there and it could lead to an amusing payoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jesse: "Oh, are we doing giggles?"

And....

Judy: "I was doing compliments..."

I love how childish their speech is.

Yeah I don't think they fail kids anymore but the vocabulary is pure proof rich kids get passed to the next grade at the very least

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Jose Oquendo posted:

They do a really great job casting the show, whether it's a known actor or someone most people aren't familiar with.

But, then there's next level poo poo when they get someone really special that totally fits in and gets what McBride and Hill are going for. They got something amazing with Edi in Vice Principals and this show. And who knew Walton Goggins got it as well.

most impressive casting for me was the young versions of the siblings. they were so good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When this season did we see the locusts? I don’t remember them at all.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Golden Bee posted:

When this season did we see the locusts? I don’t remember them at all.

Steve Zahn gets hit with a few of 'em when he runs off with Chuck.

Also, the church from S1 was in Locust Grove. :tinfoil:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
My preferred way to watch the show is that god is real and helps out the Gemstones once per season or so. Edit: he will be played by Steve Little

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

most impressive casting for me was the young versions of the siblings. they were so good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Consummate Professional posted:

My preferred way to watch the show is that god is real and helps out the Gemstones once per season or so. Edit: he will be played by Steve Little

Is there any other way to interpret it :confused:

(Interestingly, this implies that as crass and cynical as the Gemstones are, they're still more true to their faith than the Lissons or Simkins.)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

idk about true to the faith necessarily. I read it more as a "special Providence for fools, drunkards, and children" kind of thing.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I somewhat wish that this was the last season because I thought the final scene was about as perfect a coda as I could imagine. but I also thought this about the S1 ending and we’ve gotten two entertaining seasons of tv beyond that, so what do I know. I’m a little tired of having Jesse (and to a lesser extent, Kelvin and Judy) start each season having forgotten the lessons they learned at the end of the previous one and acting regressively selfish, entitled, and pigheaded, but it’s a minor quibble when the rest of the show is so entertaining. I think my favourite part of S3 was seeing the budding affection Keefe shows BJ - BJ’s face watching Keefe’s fire dance, BJ calling Keefe over from the bushes, the grandiose bow Keefe gives him and Amber, and the proud look BJ gets when Kelvin plants one on Keefe. BJ was in a similar outsider’s position until he got shot in the leg - he knows what it’s like. this was the season BJ became one of my favourites and I am rooting for him to pull a Wambsgans and end up on top of it all, even if they’ve really been setting up Gideon as the do-no-wrong scion

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Consummate Professional posted:

God is real but helping the Gemstones was incidental. The locusts were merely His review of Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It's wild to me that the most crowd-pleasing show McBride and Hill have put out is the one with a man helicoptering his penis in the pathtub.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m sure there are some hourlong videos of jangling keys soundtracked with fart noises waiting for you on YouTube if all you want is moving pictures and a laff

You have accurately described the only two options in the world of comedy. Oh wait, no, you're a moron with the reading comprehension of a five year old.

The show this very thread is about is brilliantly smart, with great characterization and growth, the best costumes in the world and doesn't waste time with bullshit. It doesn't need to spoon feed you with moral lessons or have a "very special episode". It's entertainment, not an after school special, and it's drat good at it.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 1, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Flying Zamboni posted:

God is real but helping the Gemstones was incidental. The locusts were merely His review of Baby Billy's Bible Bonkers.

:hai:

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Flying Zamboni posted:

You know, I like that way better.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

that bomb still went off. the gemstones only escaped via their own weird virtues

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

also insinuating it’s providence that the backup bible bonker dancer got his noggin busted

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

god works in mysterious ways

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

panko posted:

also insinuating it’s providence that the backup bible bonker dancer got his noggin busted

We don't know that Bonker Boy's sins.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Not that it matters because the show doesn’t take itself seriously enough for me to care, but I did find it funny that they faced no legal repercussions after doing a kidnapping that the fbi was well aware of, blowing up a parking lot and then building another bomb, that also blew up.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

Not that it matters because the show doesn’t take itself seriously enough for me to care, but I did find it funny that they faced no legal repercussions after doing a kidnapping that the fbi was well aware of, blowing up a parking lot and then building another bomb, that also blew up.

they live in a world where the prosperity gospel is true

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Peter’s under a false name, 100%

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Baby Billy’s tie game during last episode was insane. Those knots were amazing .

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I loved the shot of Jesse in the tornado tank. Truly bonkers

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I havent seen it mentioned here but I loved Eli's thumbs up to Kelvin when he and Keefe came with the matching chairs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I havent seen it mentioned here but I loved Eli's thumbs up to Kelvin when he and Keefe came with the matching chairs.

I was not expecting this show, of all shows, to give me a big wave of "queer/LGBT+ joy", but dammit, it did. :kiddo:

Mob posted:

Keefe riding piggyback on Karl during the end montage was cute

I had to go back and rewind it, I love cool cousin Karl.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

This is a real banger.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've said it before, but when this was featured at the very end of, I think, S01E01, I loved it, and hoped it'd be a regular cut, but... No.

And I think it should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9UV58U9DyU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Had a Gemstone dream. Keef had let fame go to his head and hired body doubles from among the staff. The rest of the dream focused on the functionaries of the organization, but had one good line: “This here is a guaranteed hernia free Pharaoh for the play. He has to pay US if he gets a hernia*.”

Kelvin was out of sorts because one of the brothers from Hanson had died. Nobody knew which brother it was from hearing the name but made the exact same wrong guess (“It was the youngest… Who wrote the songs?”).

* This line would also fit perfectly on “I think you should leave”.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Hanson brother dying and no one having one sweet clue which on it is, even after seeing and hearing them talk about him, would be a great gag for any show.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It really does work for any comedy after 1998

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Obviously the locusts are a biblical allusion, but it is interesting how flying insects played a pivotal role in two of the season finales.

If the Montgomery’s remain on the show next season, I wonder how they’ll explain Peter Montgomery not being in prison for leading a right wing militia and constructing two truck bombs. Keep him a secret with a new identity? Combination of a deal and lying about who made the bombs? Eli using his connections to have the feds turn a blind eye?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
maybe the explosion killed them all and the last scene is in ghostworld and they have to scare off prospective buyers in the next season

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

maybe the explosion killed them all and the last scene is in ghostworld and they have to scare off prospective buyers in the next season

It's clear to me what we got here is your classic Beetlejuice scenario.
Stop saying this is Beetlejuices, Jesse! You wouldn't know nothin' about Beetlejuices even if a sand worm crawled up and bit you on the dick!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I still lose my mind at this bit from Vice Principals:

Lee Russell (Goggins): Look at you, looking like a cystic fibrosis commercial!

Neil Gamby (McBride): Ain't nobody got cystic fibrosis!

Russell: Maybe! Or maybe you just ain't been diagnosed yet!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

can a paraplegic do this?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh whoops I had that one sitting in the chamber

https://i.imgur.com/Vjao8bh.gifv

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKoJ-j2UzM

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

Oh whoops I had that one sitting in the chamber

https://i.imgur.com/Vjao8bh.gifv

Jesse looks like he's trying so hard not to laugh, :lol: Wonder if it was improv? The scene in S1 where Judy says she's gonna run off and shave her cooch was improvised and Mcbride's laugh was legit. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This is gonna be the first weenkend without RG and I have to wonder: is it even a weekend then?