Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Actually, any weapon proficiency gives you access to guns. Its no longer a proficiency thing but an access thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Yeah, Investigator already has martial proficiency, which covers most guns you'd require as long as you have access somehow.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
and 'somehow' just means that your GM is cool with guns being in their game, really

obviously everything is optional based on GM approval but uncommon/rare is really just there as a flag to GMs that 'hey this might have unforeseen consequences, you should actively consider if you're cool with this'

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I'm reading over the Agents of Edgewatch AP because I wanted to run a campaign set in Absalom and I can't believe that (spoilers, if you care) the second chapter has your cop player characters busting a strike. Yikes, lmao. Like the players don't have to bust the strike and can even help the the striking workers have their demands met but they're really just sent in there as strike breakers. It also has some really gross anti-union propoganda: they're Kobolds, but only their leader speaks Common and the AP specifically calls out the rank and file kobolds as repeating the leader's demands in common but having no idea what it actually means. Just some real unfortunate implications.

It's also way gorier that I would expect, with the final chapters in the first two books being about dealing with a H. H. Holmes style serial killer and then a murder cult. Like, nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's not something I would surprise my players with and it is intended as surprise the way the AP is written.

I've only read two of the six books so far and I'm thinking I would be better off just writing my own campaign and maybe stealing some of the encounters. There's one at a zoo that seems neat.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Hmm, make a adventure about fighting fantasy Pinkerton's.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Agents of Edgewatch has a pretty cringe premise. I don't think "being a cop" holds much appeal to very many TTRPG community members

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just do alkenstar so you have a proper gently caress the police campaign

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Syrinxx posted:

Agents of Edgewatch has a pretty cringe premise. I don't think "being a cop" holds much appeal to very many TTRPG community members

Being a cop holds a lot of appeal to a lot of people, that's why so many long-running and successful TV shows are cop shows (and they are also easy to write, to be fair).

However the implementation is everything, and strike-breaking and poo poo like that is not something I personally would want to explore.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Syrinxx posted:

I think it holds appeal to a lot of TTRPG community members, they're just all members that I'd rather never interact with.

Edgewatch also came out at a really unfortunate time (summer of 2020) and Paizo had to immediately put out a free supplement to help people strip the cop stuff out of it.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

"Helping people and having official support for it" is an appealing fantasy to a lot of people. But also fictional violence is exciting so of course when you try to write that idea into a game you're just gonna be a cop and whoops people start thoughtlessly putting crap like strike-breaking in.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm sure there's lots of people tired of being a murderhobo who'd enjoy being a legally sanctioned murderresident.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Scrap Dragon posted:

I'm reading over the Agents of Edgewatch AP because I wanted to run a campaign set in Absalom and I can't believe that (spoilers, if you care) the second chapter has your cop player characters busting a strike. Yikes, lmao. Like the players don't have to bust the strike and can even help the the striking workers have their demands met but they're really just sent in there as strike breakers. It also has some really gross anti-union propoganda: they're Kobolds, but only their leader speaks Common and the AP specifically calls out the rank and file kobolds as repeating the leader's demands in common but having no idea what it actually means. Just some real unfortunate implications.

It's also way gorier that I would expect, with the final chapters in the first two books being about dealing with a H. H. Holmes style serial killer and then a murder cult. Like, nothing inherently wrong with it, but it's not something I would surprise my players with and it is intended as surprise the way the AP is written.

I've only read two of the six books so far and I'm thinking I would be better off just writing my own campaign and maybe stealing some of the encounters. There's one at a zoo that seems neat.

So, safe to assume that Agents of Edgewatch's writer, James L. Sutter, is a chud. Good to know.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dick Burglar posted:

So, safe to assume that Agents of Edgewatch's writer, James L. Sutter, is a chud. Good to know.

No. Not safe to assume that.

Agents of Edgewatch represents... a lot of mistakes, but it definitely does not come from a place of chudbrain for the most part.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Chevy Slyme posted:

No. Not safe to assume that.

Agents of Edgewatch represents... a lot of mistakes, but it definitely does not come from a place of chudbrain for the most part.

Writing a police procedural does not make you a chud, but gross implicit (I'm being generous) racism and encouraging strike-breaking definitely does. You'd have to be Pretty loving Stupid to miss what you're doing.

So, I guess he's either a chud or Pretty loving Stupid.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kinda funny that less than a year after releasing a union busting AP, Paizo workers voted to unionize.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Enos Cabell posted:

Kinda funny that less than a year after releasing a union busting AP, Paizo workers voted to unionize.

They in fact, used the kobold workers striking in edgewatch as a union mascot.

It's definitely just a police procedural that was very clearly written 5 years ago and not 3 years ago, and 'lol kobolds stupid' is, again, another one of those old tropey beats that just kind of went relatively unexamined by a lot of folks until pretty recently.

Agents of Edgewatch isn't good, but I wouldn't read too much into it's authors intentions or politics from it either. It mostly comes across as stupid and naive rather than malicious.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Yeah it’s the same thing as realizing that the antagonists in extinction curse actually have the moral high ground in the dispute but you can’t really negotiate with them because of demons and stuff. Not necessarily written out of intentional propaganda but just a huge blind spot about what you’re ACTUALLY saying

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It doesn't really matter if Sutter is a CHUD or not; Agents of Edgewatch is a mid-tier adventure path with a premise that was totally "wrong place, wrong time" 'd by a political moment and should be stripped for parts.

Not that I think Pathfinder 2e is particularly good to run a cop adventure in anyway, since GUMSHOE exists.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

I seem to recall Sutter apologizing for that part of the adventure and giving up his royalties, so it may just be a case of not thinking through the implications.

Once you get past the first adventure, Agents of Edgewatch turns into more fictional than realistic cop stuff -- stopping an elaborately planned bank robbery, infiltrating a thieves' guild, guarding a witness from the evil conspiracy that wants to silence them, etc. Which is less objectionable than strikebreaking, but of course it's still copaganda.

Even if you set all that aside, though, the end of Agents is terrible. After five adventures' worth of investigation, politics, and conspiracy-unraveling, the sixth adventure is a bunch of extradimensional dungeon crawls filled with planar monsters. The start of the adventure admits straight up you'll probably have to let the players massively retrain their characters and swap their gear out to handle the new enemies. It's as if The Godfather suddenly climaxed with a starship fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Selachian posted:

It's as if The Godfather suddenly climaxed with a starship fight.

Wait hold on this might actually be fun.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Reminds me of the first couple of Ultima games, where you started out (and spent most of the game) traipsing across Ye Olde Fantasy Countryside and ended up finding a laser pistol and going to space in a space shuttle and becoming a space ace before being able to access a time machine to go back in time to stop the Big Bad.

Then Richard Garriott chickened out and got rid of the space stuff after like Ultima 3.

Edited because holy poo poo the denouement of Ultima 1 is even more insane than I remembered.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 2, 2023

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dick Burglar posted:

Reminds me of the first couple of Ultima games, where you started out (and spent most of the game) traipsing across Ye Olde Fantasy Countryside and ended up finding a laser pistol and going to space in a starship.

Then Richard Garriott chickened out and got rid of the space stuff after like Ultima 3.

At the very least we got some Kilrathi from Wing Commander in Ultima 7.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
You only have to read this part from the first book to realize how hosed the whole premise is for Agents of Edgewatch:

quote:

Each guard theoretically receives a modest stipend, but in practice only the top brass see any real compensation; the rank-and-file watch members’ wages are automatically garnished by the city to pay for food, training, uniforms, and lodging in the station’s barracks (regardless of whether the officers actually choose to stay there). The guards’ only actual means of earning liquid cash is by requisitioning possessions and money from any criminals they catch breaking major laws—no trial required. All findings are to be meticulously catalogued so as to prevent abuse of power, and any confiscated goods with identifiable owners must be returned. Absalom’s Grand Council insists that once the festival is over it will revise the budget and convert the Edgewatch to a normal pay structure. In the meantime, the public tolerates the guards’ summary justice, preferring it to the anarchy of an under-policed city.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

drat, their police union suuuucks.

Anyway very funny to realize that it's just describing normal adventurer poo poo you do being rob and loot the poo poo out of people you've taken on the role of judge jury and executioner for.

Unless it has a name tag on it and you want to be magnanimous.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2023

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
One thing that turned me off running Agents of Edgewatch was how the players get equipment seemingly based on confiscation and civil forfeiture.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
It's one thing to Do A Murderhobo because it's RPG convention and you're not thinking about it too deeply. It's another to to explicitly write it into the fiction as how the world works, in loving detail. Somewhere along the line, somebody should have raised their hand and said "uhhh guys this is hosed up."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm well aware. It was just something I found funny.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Okay, so outright just an excuse for why PCs can be cops but also won't get in trouble for looting everything they can off the people they "arrest." Something that could have been played in a kind of darkly funny way, but sounds like it went a little more uncomfortably sincere.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I guess you could play it as a "lawful" evil campaign and act like your Vic Mackey on The Shield or something. Taking advantage of your position but also trying to avoid getting caught. Civil forfeiture is even the major plot point for the season that Glenn Close is in.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

disposablewords posted:

Okay, so outright just an excuse for why PCs can be cops but also won't get in trouble for looting everything they can off the people they "arrest." Something that could have been played in a kind of darkly funny way, but sounds like it went a little more uncomfortably sincere.

It's also a hacky way to give you interesting loot instead of giant sacks of gold without having to explain why your boss is a weirdo who pays his top detectives in a +2 flaming khopesh, a magical cat figurine and two bags of holding. So I get why it turned out like this, but it still makes me cringe.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Seems like a pretty accurate portrayal of cops. Should they have whitewashed policing instead? Wouldn't that be more gross? As is you have a blatantly evil campaign doing cop things.

Also, kobold workers aren't dumb just because they don't know common. Why wouldn't they try to amplify the voice of more fluent speakers who are advocating on their behalf?

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 2, 2023

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

cops that get paid by stealing poo poo doesn't really seem pro-cop

maybe delete the line about the public "preferring" cops steal from them though

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

tbf, the "Public" writ large does feel exactly that way about cops.

Even like people who do actually cognitively realize how lovely the police and cops are, will fall into trap of thinking that they do provide "security", and useful benefit to society.

"The Public" isn't okay with the cops stealing from them, they are okay with the cops stealing from "them"(Others).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's also a hacky way to give you interesting loot instead of giant sacks of gold without having to explain why your boss is a weirdo who pays his top detectives in a +2 flaming khopesh, a magical cat figurine and two bags of holding. So I get why it turned out like this, but it still makes me cringe.

There are also points in the adventures where grateful citizens give you loot for helping them, which is perfectly normal in most D&D-style games but gets awkward when you're supposed to be law enforcement.

I think it's certainly possible to do a fantasy city watch game without getting tangled up in the sins of real-world policing (see: Pratchett, T.), but Agents of Edgewatch ain't it.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Also, the premise is that the PCs aren't members of the usual city watch; they're basically some of the many temporary rent-a-cops hired specifically because of the massive spike in visitors and merchants resulting from the Golarion-equivalent World's Fair taking place during the AP.

The civil forfeiture is still bogus, but that's the context. It's all basically a thin veneer for the PCs basically doing what all PCs typically do, rather than writing up a whole special subsystem for turning loot into salaries. And of course if you want the latter, then I think there's a variant for that in the Gamemastery Guide anyway.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I mean not to get too real world political here but if you're a cop engaging in strike breaking / breaking up protests and protecting wealth and business interests is a big part of the -actual- job?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
boy how about that Kineticist huh what a real cool class can't wait to play one

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I want to play a cop kineticist

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kineticists are excellent.

Will probably end up being in one of my favorite classes (but obviously I need to actually play one in practice first)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I've been toying with a Conrasu Wood Kineticist. Absurd hp total and the racial feats, at 17th level you can heal each party member once per day for 17d8 hp with a 10 minute rest, and yourself for 17d8 hp with every 10 minute rest.