Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Last Celebration posted:

hosed up take imho, Blueblanc is rad.

He's not even in this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arist posted:

Sorry, thought you were talking broadly since you mentioned Cold Steel in that sentence.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh I was, I'm just saying that's cold comfort for Azure lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Azure has the only good main antagonist in the series though!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Tesseraction posted:

Tried the download in the link and it Just Worked, thanks! I'm guessing that the Vita/Evo version doesn't have turbo, though, at least not from my experiment of pressing every button I could.

Yeah that's the biggest flaw. And vita3k doesn't seem to have turbo like most emulators either, but considering it's recent progress(these games didn't work a month ago) here's hoping soon.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Alan Richard was a good antagonist.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Richard was a decent villain, Weissman was fine for what he was, Osborne was cool in the first three CS games and then well lol

Probably the only consistently good Cold Steel villain who’s good for the whole series is Rufus.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Speaking of Weissman, does it ever get explained how Ouroboros is iirc later explained to be an opt-in organization to the extent that one of the Enforcers are pretty much openly allowed to just take an extended leave of absence to be a ninja manservant and oppose the plans of other Anguis while doing do, but no one said “hey, that Enforcer’s been brainwashed into being a child super soldier, that’s kinda hosed”?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Weissmann called no take-backs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Look, if we're talking about the same "main antagonist" in Azure he's only been revealed as such for about fifteen minutes so far for me, lmao

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If this is an argument for Dieter then I agree, although I will agree that Rufus and Osborne (until CS4, anyway) are both pretty good. If the argument is for literally any of the other villains in Azure then lmao absolutely not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I thought Dieter was decent but I dunno about calling him the "main antagonist" given how the game rips the wind out of his sails after you fight him and he is immediately betrayed by the real villains

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Last Celebration posted:

Speaking of Weissman, does it ever get explained how Ouroboros is iirc later explained to be an opt-in organization to the extent that one of the Enforcers are pretty much openly allowed to just take an extended leave of absence to be a ninja manservant and oppose the plans of other Anguis while doing do, but no one said “hey, that Enforcer’s been brainwashed into being a child super soldier, that’s kinda hosed”?

Yes, the answer is "the villains are liars and what they say to make themselves seem better than they are is bullshit." The same with how it gets claimed that Arianrhod is a totally honorable person who never betrayed her principles by simply pretending to not see said blatant child abuse being done in the open by her co-workers.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Last Celebration posted:

Everyone noted that Weissmann was basically skirting the edge of it to the point where everyone was absolutely tired of his poo poo. Said Enforcer technically had the option to refuse but had no other practical choices.

But yes, as Weissmann notes in SC, he never forced anyone to do anything. (He just arranged the situation such that they felt they had no choice but to comply.)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What's your favorite Brave Order quote?

I'm a big fan now of "Slay on sight! Criminal's Raid!"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Junpei posted:

I kinda like the way Lapis yells "No touching!" for Palace Coppelion. I think it's her size relative to how authoritative she's trying to sound.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Artix posted:

If this is an argument for Dieter then I agree, although I will agree that Rufus and Osborne (until CS4, anyway) are both pretty good. If the argument is for literally any of the other villains in Azure then lmao absolutely not.

(endgame Azure spoiler) I was talking about Mariabelle. But her dad is cool too.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cyouni posted:

But yes, as Weissmann notes in SC, he never forced anyone to do anything. (He just arranged the situation such that they felt they had no choice but to comply.)

That's still child abuse. The actual adults in Ouroboros should know that perfectly well, and turning a blind eye and letting him continue as if it has nothing to do with them makes them complicit. The same goes for the other abused children they took in and turned into or used as murderers.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i don't think anyone is disagreeing in that Ouroboros's plans and actions are sketch and evil Stabbey

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Arist posted:

I see someone hasn't played the secret questline

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Junpei posted:

It's still "Shatter! War hammer!"

God knows I've heard it often enough over the past three games and it's somehow never gotten old

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I did that quest, you know what I mean. The riddles are alright but I'm not counting it as an appearance unless I get full Bleublanc action, and he doesn't even appear in disguise in that one.

Kale
May 14, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

(endgame Azure spoiler) I was talking about Mariabelle. But her dad is cool too.

(Endgame spoiler for Azure and CS4 Spoiler]Its weird that characters arc hasn't been touched in a while. She gets made an Anguis in CS4 and then just kind of sits out the next few games completely. I guess they really want Calvard to be Ellroys gig and she'll be relevant again when they do Remeria or a finale arc or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

she'll be relevant when they do the predatory lesbian joke again

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's still child abuse. The actual adults in Ouroboros should know that perfectly well, and turning a blind eye and letting him continue as if it has nothing to do with them makes them complicit. The same goes for the other abused children they took in and turned into or used as murderers.

I'm sorry I was unaware Ouroboros was registered as a child welfare group

But Ouroboros is less a coherent organization than a group of loosely-aligned factions and individuals that generally answer to the Grandmaster. So long as you don't go against them (what constitutes going against them has yet to be actually determined, because no one's actually been kicked out so much as decided to leave) or violate the one law they've put down, you can call yourself a member.

Kale posted:

(Endgame spoiler for Azure and CS4 Spoiler]Its weird that characters arc hasn't been touched in a while. She gets made an Anguis in CS4 and then just kind of sits out the next few games completely. I guess they really want Calvard to be Ellroys gig and she'll be relevant again when they do Remeria or a finale arc or something.

Same spoiler Note that she was actually made an Anguis at the end of Azure (that's the position she took up), and then she's doing things offscreen in CS3 (Arteria) and onscreen in CS4.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 1, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Junpei posted:

i don't think anyone is disagreeing in that Ouroboros's plans and actions are sketch and evil Stabbey

I'm not sure that's true.

The post I replied to had the tone of giving excuses. "Okay the society hadn't done anything to stop the ongoing abuse for years, but it's okay because no one really liked him and he was totally out of favor." And "the society never technically forced anyone."

And most notably, the text of the games themselves disagrees by repeatedly asserting that Arianrhod never betrayed her principles and was a totally honorable and decent person.

Cyouni posted:

I'm sorry I was unaware Ouroboros was registered as a child welfare group

How on earth is that supposed to be a sensible response? There isn't a binary choice between "be a child welfare group" and "groom vulnerable children to make them murderers useful for our plans." Those are not the only two possible options.

quote:

But Ouroboros is less a coherent organization than a group of loosely-aligned factions and individuals that generally answer to the Grandmaster. So long as you don't go against them (what constitutes going against them has yet to be actually determined, because no one's actually been kicked out so much as decided to leave) or violate the one law they've put down, you can call yourself a member.

Don't give me that "not a coherent organization" stuff. They're not an isolated set of cells which maintain no contact with each other. They're not a motley assortment of small-time criminals in a loose collective which occasionally link up in different combos to knock over banks or pull scams. Ouroboros members work together on big, long-term, resource-intensive plans. They have teleconferences, for Aidios's sake. Dialogue indicates that the Anguis know what the others get up to, and the Enforcers seem to know a lot as well. It's clearly not a case of "gosh we had no idea what he was doing."

You're also contradicting yourself by saying "As long as you don't violate their 'one law,' you're golden" and "Weissman was skirting the edge." You can't be skirting the edge as long as the Grandmaster still employs their services. In Sky the 3rd, Star Door 14, the Grandmaster clearly mourns the loss of Weissman as part of a great price they had to pay, nor did the Grandmaster (or anyone in the society) take action to stop Weissman, so he clearly wasn't THAT deep in her bad books. Not seeing any actual evidence of him being on the edge of punishment or dismissal.

Kale posted:

(Endgame spoiler for Azure and CS4 Spoiler and name spoiler for Kuro)Its weird that characters arc hasn't been touched in a while. She gets made an Anguis in CS4 and then just kind of sits out the next few games completely. I guess they really want Calvard to be Ellroys gig and she'll be relevant again when they do Remeria or a finale arc or something.

Her arc was completed in Azure. (Azure end spoilers)Her whole thing was an attempt to re-create a lost Sept-Terrion which her greedy selfish family considered their own personal property. She did it, and it worked... for a while... then it stopped working because it was a stupid flawed plan which was never going to work in the first place. Her story seems to be done. Now she's just hanging around like a bad smell because good lord, Falcom just cannot let go of their characters.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 2, 2023

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Kale posted:

They barely touched it in azure. The Finale of Azure was really good, but it basically has the same problem as CS4. The rest of the arc didn't do all that much lifting on plot that actually matters and the point where you'd explore her is the same point where the credits start basically, and like any other RPG series once the credits start the book closes violently enough to severe any remaining plot threads lol. I like the idea of Crois as antagonists to give Elie relevance and reason to be here..... but that never happened, so I mostly just like Dieter like another dude said.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mean, I definitely also find Ouroboros incoherent, but maybe not in the way that poster meant

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Ouroborous’s larger goals and whatever are extremely boring but most of its members are kinda funny and I enjoy spending time with them.

So ultimately they’re pretty rad.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yeah if you get zero enjoyment about of Bleublanc, or McBurn? I unno, that's a you problem.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ouroboros used to be fine and there's a couple great characters but they're also heavily involved with the worst parts of the series like the end of Act 2 in CS4.

They were by far the best utilized in Sky 2 as an actual main antagonist even if the game relied way too much on no you didn't actually win at times.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They have genuinely only gotten better.

They all kinda suck in SC.

E: Renne and Bleublanc are cool but this is their weakest appearance.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ouroboros is generally cool and good as characters/plot devices, and I find their weirdly inconsistent function and structure to be interesting rather than frustrating.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The worst part of getting Second Chapter late meant that I could never fully appreciate like one of the funniest gags in the series, Blueblanc in Cold Steel 1 bumming around out in the open with his disguise to just be not wearing his mask that only covers a third of his face anyway, despite being like the most infamous Enforcer in the series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd be fine with Ouroboros if it was all, like, Bleublanc/McBurn/Campanella (but only when he's turning people into peppers). My problem is more that they suck all the air out of the room. They're basically omnipresent in a lot of the games, and I get it, you want to have a villain faction with more "out-there" power sets for later boss fights. But they have basically nothing to do with anything in the plot, very rarely have any personal connection to or investment in anything the heroes are doing (Bell and Sharon are I guess two notable counterexamples), and don't usually even seem to care that much about achieving their goals and mainly show up to act smug and convince the game I lost a boss fight I just won. It's like anti-drama. If they were just a weird boss faction who showed up for a fight or two each game to test the heroes or whatever with no major connection to the story, that'd be weird but I'd prefer it to them being all over the place and nothing seeming to matter. Though the bigger problem for me is probably just that I don't really care for eternally unflappable schemer type-characters and Ouroboros is like 90% those by weight.

TL;DR: I believe Ouroboros are like dogs and just kind of do things arbitrarily

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
"no personal connection" he says as if the Bleublanc/Olivier, Luciola/Scherezard, Renne/Estelle and Tita, Walter/Zin, and Loewe/Joshua set-ups/pairings didn't exist.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Don't give me that "not a coherent organization" stuff. They're not an isolated set of cells which maintain no contact with each other. They're not a motley assortment of small-time criminals in a loose collective which occasionally link up in different combos to knock over banks or pull scams. Ouroboros members work together on big, long-term, resource-intensive plans. They have teleconferences, for Aidios's sake. Dialogue indicates that the Anguis know what the others get up to, and the Enforcers seem to know a lot as well. It's clearly not a case of "gosh we had no idea what he was doing."
They work with each other but are incredibly independent. Like seriously Vita literally goes against them for the entirety of CS3 and 4 and this is treated as perfectly acceptable. It's not a case of "no idea what he's doing" but "are given basically free rein to do their own thing". No one's questioning how Novartis chooses to run the Thirteen Factories, or Arianrhod the Stahlritter - except if it were to possibly interfere with the Grandmaster's one rule, as Novartis is called out against doing with Renne in Star Door 14.

You're also contradicting yourself by saying "As long as you don't violate their 'one law,' you're golden" and "Weissman was skirting the edge." You can't be skirting the edge as long as the Grandmaster still employs their services. In Sky the 3rd, Star Door 14, the Grandmaster clearly mourns the loss of Weissman as part of a great price they had to pay, nor did the Grandmaster (or anyone in the society) take action to stop Weissman, so he clearly wasn't THAT deep in her bad books. Not seeing any actual evidence of him being on the edge of punishment or dismissal.

Read what is said in the exact same door. "But if anyone should take the blame, it's we Anguis who chose to overlook his behavior rather than steer him back on the right track." "No... I half expected that this is what would happen. Yet I chose to leave all of the decisions in his hands. I did so because I believed that to be necessary for this world, but nonetheless...the blame is unequivocally mine." It's quite clear that no one in this conversation thinks the way Weissmann handled things was the correct method. Not to mention that CS4's hidden ending has First Anguis explicitly telling Mariabell to not do what Weissmann did.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Junpei posted:

"no personal connection" he says as if the Bleublanc/Olivier, Luciola/Scherezard, Renne/Estelle and Tita, Walter/Zin, and Loewe/Joshua set-ups/pairings didn't exist.

All of these were meaningfully resolved in Sky 2 and don't matter anymore except for Renne, who was resolved for as much as it's worth in the Crossbell games.

They mean literally nothing and contribute nothing to any of the CS games and while McBurn is funny even he falls off by CS4. Duvalie is the only real consistently good thing related to them in the CS games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Junpei posted:

Lol that's what I get for not playing Sky yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RevolverDivider posted:

All of these were meaningfully resolved in Sky 2

Walter and Zin show up in the Kuro games. heck, Bleublanc and Luciola get something for Olivier and Schera in Reverie-in what by quite a solid opinion among the fanbase so far seems to be one of the VERY good Daydreams!