Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boomer coworker had another rant about taxes today. Ya know, this is the only country that punishes people who work hard and rewards people who don't. Back in his day, people used to help each other out. Not like today. Hmm.
I'm trying to convince him that getting another pension will push him to the next tax bracket.

just lie and make poo poo up and act like it's fact, what's he going to do, check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Extra row of tits posted:

We had a big team meeting last night. Everyone is salty.

Highlights:

We now have to have a staff member on the floor at all times, you can’t even pop in and out of a room. Normally our morning tasks are done and dusted by 10:30 at the latest. It’s current 11:00 and we are about 2/3 done.

We now have to attend the morning meetings (because apparently we feel not part of the overall group which is news to us). Absolutely nothing related to us in anyway and it puts us 20 minutes behind at the start of the day.

On night shifts I have been doing a few small jobs that makes life easier for the oncoming morning people. These tasks are not part of my job but I have quiet periods at night. I was slapped on the wrist for not folding the washing (which also isn’t part of the night shift job) and told that a list of overnight jobs is being created for everyone on night shift to do. Nobody seemed to care I was the only one putting in extra effort,

One of my patients always gets up stupidly early, (heavy late stage dementia) management was asking why she wasn’t being showered and prepared for the day to make things quicker in the morning. Unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough on my feet to point out this would leave the floor empty, which we were told we could no do under any circumstances.

We now HAVE to fill in the paperwork as well as the online end of shift report. Doubling the paperwork for something no one ever sees because they would have to work across campus to read it and instead they look up the shift report they can access from anywhere.

The lesson here is: Never try.

It’s nearly 2:00 and we still have two patients to do morning cares for. I’m going to write very salty shift reports.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Yay! Finished the work we normally finish by 10:30 at the latest at 3:00, just in time for the next shift to start.

I’m done, going to start job hunting.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Yay. Got some extra hours by coming in to help prepare for a store visit tomorrow. Unfortunately, most of that time was taken up completing two tasks that someone else started and quit half-way into. All that product I moved onto the aisle from two of these:

...was poo poo that could have been put out a week ago, or any time since then. What's worse is that the poo poo was thrown onto them in no particular order. I just love doing triple the work because someone lacks basic organization skills. I mentioned that to the store manager, who got so upset they told me, "You know what? I'm just gonna stop talking now. But yeah, that's some bullshit."

Fuckit, they fed me while I was there. BBQ sammich from the place down the alley. Too bad they hosed up our order. Basic competency is at a premium in this town.

Our customers have been very specifically telling us how much better the place looks than even a few months ago.

One dude took a look around while I was showing him where something was, saying, "Man, did I walk into the wrong motherfucking store? Everything is filled up, everything has a place, and y'all are actually helping me. We might actually start shopping here again."

A regular pulled me aside yesterday to say, "Y'all are doing a great job! I stopped coming here because it was so nasty. How often am I here now? Every other day? I really appreciate it."

This poo poo ain't difficult to do correctly. Just pay loving attention. It don't have to be perfect, it just has to look good and you can sell the rest by smiling, nodding, and gentley guiding people.

I am inordinately proud of the work we've done in this little tiny store, with not that much hard work put into it. The pay is poo poo, but it really ain't hard work, and it's a perfectly acceptable job to slide back into the workforce with. Bar one person, we are all very over qualified for it and that makes poo poo way easier. Frustrating, since we're used to everyone being held to a higher standard, but most of us are on the same page: Don't kill yourself with the work. Get paid, get out, take the first thing that pays more.

As an aside, the best part of the job is being called "Baby" by older Southern black women. Goddamn if I won't do anything for you if you treat me like that. Less so being dragged around the store by a very drunk, very tiny, and very unpredictable older Southern white woman who is kinda trying not to flirt but definitely is. Welcome to low-end retail in Alabama.

I should really start looking for a better job.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m glad you take pride in your work but giving up in the middle of the job is the correct decision. Retail sucks complete balls no matter where it’s at.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

My job reprimanded me for being late once 16 days ago, while I'm home sick with covid currently with a doctor's note. I don't think this is about the being late once guys, I don't think they like me being home sick with covid.

It's funny cause the same manager writing that reprimand letter was totally ok that I was late since I informed them while & how and when I was on my way.(missed the bus at 5am cause it was Saturday,the next one came in at 5:30)

They're very much betting on me not signing that so that they can fire me

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
it sounds like they're jealous of your covid

Barudak
May 7, 2007

teemolover42069 posted:

it sounds like they're jealous of your covid

Bless them with Board Member N. Urgle's gift.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m glad you take pride in your work but giving up in the middle of the job is the correct decision. Retail sucks complete balls no matter where it’s at.

Sure. But, like, find an end point to what you're going to accomplish and don't leave a mess for the next person. Work like you are always going to work after yourself.

I come from the vendor side, where it is most likely going to be you working that way. Expect no help. It's you from beginning to end in any given period.

Speaking of:

Another time, I'm heading up I75 to US301 when I see one of our trailers on the side of the road with the flashers on. Well, let's stop and see.

Turns out, it's a buddy of mine, Top, who let his bearings go for too long. Like, smoke and screetching too long. He's got the tools and the parts to replace them right there, and I help him to find out the bearings are welded onto the axle.

"You have my 20 more mins of my time, Top, I'm already behind and have 12 hours of work ahead. Make a decision."

So, we pull into the community college with his trailer spewing out smoke and flames, load his entire load onto my box truck, then take it all to his first store so he can shuttle it in the bed of his pickup to every other store.

"What do I owe you?"

(This is the important part.)

"Top, just help someone else if you know you can help them. Also, buy me a six-pack some time."

----

A few months later, Top is outside the depot raging at another buddy of ours, Fred, for blocking a door due to hosed bearings on Fred's trailer.

"Motherfucker, I don't give a poo poo if your bearings are hosed! Move that piece of poo poo! I'm already late!"

I stood in the doorway as Top, throwing a little hissy fit, tried to walk inside. Smoking a cigarette with hands at my sides, just eyeballing him. Swear to God, Top locked eyes with me, let his shoulders sink back down, pivoted 180°, apologized to Fred and started pulling out tools and parts to help him fix the poo poo.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeusIgnis posted:

Wasn’t the tax rate even higher “back in his day”?

:science:

The top tax bracket in the US was at least 70% from 1936 to 1980; it topped out at 90% a couple of years. Did the r1% all leave? Hell no.

What actually happened was we fought and won WW2 and the Cold War, rebuilt Europe, got a draw in Korea and paid for a very expensive loss in Vietnam, build the interstate highway system, eradicated several nasty diseases, built tons of colleges, and we put a man on the loving moon.

Then Reagan and his cadre of assholes took power, and everything has been going to poo poo for everyone but the 1% ever since. Gavrilo Princi...

And I'm just gonna stop right there. I get that mad about Reagan, sorry.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

mllaneza posted:

And I'm just gonna stop right there. I get that mad about Reagan, sorry.

Why on earth are you sorry you are mad about Reagan?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

thepopmonster posted:

Why on earth are you sorry you are mad about Reagan?

i'm sorry that it's physically impossible for any one person to be mad enough about reagan

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

madeintaipei posted:

"What do I owe you?"

(This is the important part.)

"Top, just help someone else if you know you can help them. Also, buy me a six-pack some time."

Not quite dumb work poo poo but it’s still dumb work so whatever. Right now I’m helping clean out a 90+ year old’s house as he moves to assisted living. Took half a week of PTO, working half days in the morning to keep my head above water, and from noon - 8 PM (plus 8am - 8pm on the weekends) we’ve just been pulling poo poo out of this guys house. 99.9% of it is going straight into the construction dumpster on the lawn, but we have to touch and sort everything because he was a bit of a hoarder and poo poo like family photos from the 1890s is in among catholic newsletters from the 1980s. Just hot, dusty, sweaty work.

He’s also an rear end in a top hat. His niece (edit: he never married or had kids) is a loving saint and is single handedly making sure he’s taken care of. And the whole time he’s making life hard for her. My mom is an old friend of his niece, and she’s like an aunt to me, which is how I got roped into this because they’re a bunch of mid-70s ladies and needed some muscle.

Anyways we’re talking a load of his stuff over to the assisted living place for him (loving NICE facility too, this dude has good family even if he’s treating them like garbage) and he pulls my mom and me aside and asks how much his nice is paying us. Probably to tell us to gtfo because he’s cheap.

His mind was loving blown when my mom said she’s not getting paid, since you know she’s been best friends with his nice for over fifty loving years now. Dude could just not grasp having a non-blood relationship with someone you cared for (a “friend”, if you will) that you’d be willing to do a huge favor without expecting any kind of payment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently there are people who don't know trying to blackmail your boss during your mid year review with data saved on your work laptop is not a good idea.

Singapore got another angel.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Barudak posted:

Apparently there are people who don't know trying to blackmail your boss during your mid year review with data saved on your work laptop is not a good idea.

Singapore got another angel.

Wait...are we actually talking about Singapore the place or is Singapore a euphemism for being let go off a bridge?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Or is this a “Baraduk has a business meeting in Singapore” thing?

Edit: oh wait no it can’t be that he doesn’t work directly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Singapore has fewer labour protections than Japan, so Barudak's company transfers bad employees to Singapore and fires them as soon as they land so they won't have to pay as much severance or whatever.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Do we know what kind of “landing” these employees get? From the sounds of things, the landing may be rather rough in more ways than one.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Well the company certainly stops paying them for one.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do they like pay them to go back home? Do they pay for relocation? There’s so many questions.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

There I go being to subtle.

I was implying they push the employee out of the airborne plane, and the employee is fired as soon as they land (hit) the ground. What happens to the employee after that is no longer the companies problem.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Orvin posted:

There I go being to subtle.

I was implying they push the employee out of the airborne plane, and the employee is fired as soon as they land (hit) the ground. What happens to the employee after that is no longer the companies problem.

The employees weren't wearing effective PPE, nor were they certified or authorized for HANO* jumps, which is against company policy. For these reasons they were fired shortly after departing the aircraft.

*High Altitude No Opening

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 1, 2023

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I was just assuming the singapore thing is a euphemism. 'where'd [coworkers] go?' 'oh uh...we...transferred them to singapore' *shoves bag full of bloody clothes underneath desk*

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Your former coworkers are all living safe and happy on a farm in upstate Singapore :)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
*in an old timey gangster voice* Singapore. It's where the people who sing go. Capiche?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I thought they went to Sing Sing.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Invalid Validation posted:

Do they like pay them to go back home? Do they pay for relocation? There’s so many questions.

Forget it, Invalid Validation, it's Singapore.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
one of the agents that reports to me got a bad customer survey where they rated her as badly as they could in every category and said in the comments 'racial slurs/harassment close my account'. I listened to the call and it was a totally normal payment call, and they indicated satisfaction with service at the end of the call. I listened to every other call with this customer that we have on file just to try to figure out what the gently caress. I reviewed every memo on the account trying to figure out why the gently caress you would say that . couldn't find a thing. my agent is understandably pissed off.

as best as I can tell the customer was hoping to get special consideration from us by making a complaint like that. I can't parse it any other way. I loving hate to accuse someone of doing a thing like that but I just don't know what else to think. they aren't getting poo poo out of us but a closed account though, we're happy to comply with your request! gently caress you. gently caress. you. enjoy that hit to your credit score you loving dipshit

(I'm also making sure that the survey gets removed from my agent's history and can never be associated with them ever again because what the gently caress. if the dispute comes back against us I'm going to raise hell and figure out the next person up to talk to because absolutely loving not)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

teemolover42069 posted:

one of the agents that reports to me got a bad customer survey where they rated her as badly as they could in every category and said in the comments 'racial slurs/harassment close my account'. I listened to the call and it was a totally normal payment call, and they indicated satisfaction with service at the end of the call. I listened to every other call with this customer that we have on file just to try to figure out what the gently caress. I reviewed every memo on the account trying to figure out why the gently caress you would say that . couldn't find a thing. my agent is understandably pissed off.

as best as I can tell the customer was hoping to get special consideration from us by making a complaint like that. I can't parse it any other way. I loving hate to accuse someone of doing a thing like that but I just don't know what else to think. they aren't getting poo poo out of us but a closed account though, we're happy to comply with your request! gently caress you. gently caress. you. enjoy that hit to your credit score you loving dipshit

(I'm also making sure that the survey gets removed from my agent's history and can never be associated with them ever again because what the gently caress. if the dispute comes back against us I'm going to raise hell and figure out the next person up to talk to because absolutely loving not)

Your employee probably just got pregnant and made the mistake of telling someone. They'll use this to fire them

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Your employee probably just got pregnant and made the mistake of telling someone. They'll use this to fire them

:staredog:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Is your employee a racial minority who doesn't sound like the local majority? When I briefly worked in a call center support that had an international customer base, if you were a woman period or didn't sound basically what they thought a white person should sound like customers would do all sorts of loving bullshit abusive things to the people they were talking to.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Dameius posted:

Is your employee a racial minority who doesn't sound like the local majority? When I briefly worked in a call center support that had an international customer base, if you were a woman period or didn't sound basically what they thought a white person should sound like customers would do all sorts of loving bullshit abusive things to the people they were talking to.

no, she's white. most of the agents that report to me aren't, and one of them(who is black) has gotten three different surveys with points off because of 'tone'. I listened to all those calls and reviewed them with her and she was helpful and did everything right on all three. nothing about her tone sounded in any way off to me on any of them. and all I can figure is it's them being racist.

also had one agent get a detractor survey that said "is this what DEI is doing to [company]?' - I figured out that they meant 'diversity, equality, and inclusion'.

I loving hate customers. when I was still taking calls people thanked me for being white - that is, for not having an accent - every single day. it was infuriating

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure they meant the Dutch East Indies.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Biplane posted:

Your former coworkers are all living safe and happy on a farm in upstate Singapore :)

lol

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

We sent them to Singapore to kick rear end and chew gum, and gave them a whole duffel bag full of Hubba Bubba

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

teemolover42069 posted:

survey bullshit

“The service was perfect! I got everything I needed! I never give 10s because there’s always room for improvement!”

t:mad:

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Dameius posted:

During my brief stint a s a phone banker I had a dude like this. But he refused to talk to me. Demanded he only talk to female bankers. But transfers were roulette, you couldn't pick who got the call. Someone this dude ended duo on my line multiple times over 6 months. Which is unreal considering the thousands of phone bankers.

Every time he would curse up a storm and hang up. I like to imagine I ruined his jerk sesh.

teemolover42069 posted:

no, she's white. most of the agents that report to me aren't, and one of them(who is black) has gotten three different surveys with points off because of 'tone'. I listened to all those calls and reviewed them with her and she was helpful and did everything right on all three. nothing about her tone sounded in any way off to me on any of them. and all I can figure is it's them being racist.

also had one agent get a detractor survey that said "is this what DEI is doing to [company]?' - I figured out that they meant 'diversity, equality, and inclusion'.

I loving hate customers. when I was still taking calls people thanked me for being white - that is, for not having an accent - every single day. it was infuriating

I worked with a few people who affected white voices because of this.

I never had issues, but I was often mistaken for the automated system, so people hang up, hit 0 or yell "agent" at me.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenDoodle posted:

“The service was perfect! I got everything I needed! I never give 10s because there’s always room for improvement!”

t:mad:

some of the worst ones are the ones that are one point off of perfect and the customer says they got great service and gushes about us. just absolutely rage inducing lol. we can't dispute them because they're positive. but they actually take away from the agent's stats because it's not best case scenario.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

teemolover42069 posted:

they actually take away from the agent's stats because it's not best case scenario.

Perhaps the system itself is broken as well as the customers' minds.

RE: Singapore, didn't Barudak say it was a friend's company that did it? I.e. a rival gang?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Machai posted:

Perhaps the system itself is broken as well as the customers' minds.

oh yeah, it drat sure is. the whole customer survey system sucks rear end. it's fine to have the surveys imo, but they shouldn't be something that can effect the agents' long term in the company. they currently do. not in a HUGE way - they're like 10% of the weighting of what factors go into performance-based raises each year. but that's still too much because you can really only do so much to avoid bad surveys. almost every bad survey I always got while I was still on the phones was because customers didn't get approved for credit line increases. that has nothing to do with me, I didn't make that decision, I didn't influence that decision, and I even found ways to make this clear while on the calls. didn't matter, survey comes in, they gave me a bad rating because they were upset about not getting a credit line increase, and it wasn't disputable because the comments 'reflected a topic that was discussed on the call, where the agent had opportunities to influence the cm's perception of the the topic'. gently caress you too, compliance.

An agent recently got a detractor call because she couldn't answer the customer's question. they had done a transaction with amazon and for some reason, amazon split this purchase into two transactions, one for $18 and one for $1100. the card that was on file was expired, but the account number was still valid and the account still active. the $18 transaction was approved, the $1100 transaction wasn't. the customer asked her why one would get approved with the wrong exp date but the other wasn't. this is honestly a good question, one which the cm had good reason to want to know, if only to know that we could answer a question like that, because why the gently caress would you be allowing transactions with the wrong expiration date? it took me five days of asking everyone I could, process owners, department heads, everyone before I could find an answer. this agent had no chance of knowing the answer to this question. she hadn't been trained on something like that, because it's just one of those random weird things that isn't common or important enough to include in standard trainings for frontline agents.

can't dispute that one though, because 'agent had opportunities to influence the cm's perception of the topic.' she had a perfect month of perfect surveys before that one.

:argh: