Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh, they're putting reflective material on those windows now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

what's wrong with wearing short shorts

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

but seriously what the gently caress device was that? idk if a better description was a bulky PDA or what, it had a qwerty keypad but was built like a blackberry had sex with a brick

also I only wear long longs tyvm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was sitting next to a guy on the train that was using what looked like a ruggedised blackberry with no joke a terminal window open on it, or maybe something like irc chat? Idk. I can't decide if it was extremely cyberpunk or, because he was wearing short shorts, extremely terrible.

like a motorola MC or something?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

like a motorola MC or something?

no, bigger. I swear to god it looked like he was running a terminal window in it because of how small the text on the screen was and the classic magenta and green on black scheme

is there a military UNIX combat division? it looked like what they'd use

e: ok I think it was this https://www.unihertz.com/products/titan-pocket

Running gently caress knows what

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 18, 2023

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Truman Peyote posted:

hotswap pants

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

no, bigger. I swear to god it looked like he was running a terminal window in it because of how small the text on the screen was and the classic magenta and green on black scheme

is there a military UNIX combat division? it looked like what they'd use

e: ok I think it was this https://www.unihertz.com/products/titan-pocket

Running gently caress knows what

holy poo poo that page immediately started playing ringtones ive never closed a tab so fast

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo that page immediately started playing ringtones ive never closed a tab so fast

idk I guess adblock stopped that for me but also sorry u got hacked jonny

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh i use linux on the desktop, i am protected.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

oh i use linux on the desktop, i am protected.

well then how did you hear anything? checkmate.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a solid swing on the slowest pitch

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

who likes them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

we, i'm told

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Midjack posted:

who likes them?

i was led to believe that we like them

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wDpigy4eFE&pp=ygUVYWltcHNvbnMgc2hvcnQgc2hvcnRz

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
that fuckin grimy saxophone

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

holy hell

as a kid this movie terrified me so i should rewatch it now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HOLY poo poo PISSS (from 1985)

Imagining the STREETHAWK visor view but its snow and trees going past at 300MPH

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
feels like i'm wearing nothing at all!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Looks like a dude you play in an MSX game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alan Smithee posted:

Looks like a dude you play in an MSX game

looks a little bit like kurt hectic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

isn't that the character from Nights: into dreams?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

isn't that the character from Nights: into dreams?

Nights: Into Skis

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

it's actually metal sonic with knuckles bod

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

it's actually metal sonic with knuckles bod

don't post your fetishes here tyvm

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

name av post trifecta

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
google has revealed an AI model that can detect your posts

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's gonna try to hold the soldering iron by the hot part isn't it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

"your monitor is off"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/JL86265528/status/1684352168579461121?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

matt levine posted:

Maybe the most important paper in economics is the one about how people sometimes give themselves painful electric shocks just because that is an option that’s available to them:

For 15 minutes, the team left participants alone in a lab room in which they could push a button and shock themselves if they wanted to. The results were startling: Even though all participants had previously stated that they would pay money to avoid being shocked with electricity, 67% of men and 25% of women chose to inflict it on themselves rather than just sit there quietly and think, the team reports online today in Science.

All of human culture is explained by that result. Anyway, three questions:

Would you let an artificial-intelligence mogul scan your irises with a chrome orb for purposes of his own, if in exchange he gave you $50?
Would you let him do that, if instead of money he gave you some crypto tokens that he made up and that have uncertain value?
Would you let him do that, without the tokens?
When I put it like that it seems like the answer to at least the third question would be “no,” but if you have ever met a human you know the answer is “yeah I guess whatever”:

From Manhattan’s Oculus [6] building to a co-working space in Southern California, Americans are getting their irises scanned by a chrome orb that Sam Altman helped create.

Unlike the roughly 2 million people around the world who’ve completed similar scans in exchange for payment, these US registrants aren’t getting much of value from Worldcoin, the OpenAI chief executive's latest crypto project.

Drawn by a promotional blitz for an undertaking that has raised privacy and ethics concerns, a few orb pilgrims in New York, Los Angeles and Miami hoped they'd get some crypto for their troubles, while others were drawn by Altman himself.

Alex Chung, a user in Los Angeles, planned to make a YouTube video about his experience.

“If I scan my eyes, I can get 25 coins,” he said. When he learned that wasn’t true, he said he hoped to get the tokens “some day in the future.”

Worldcoin's token launched on Monday at $1.70 and jumped as high as $3.58 before falling to around $2.18 on Friday, data compiled by CoinMarketCap showed. … Outside the US, Worldcoin hands out a few of its own crypto tokens, in increments worth about $50, to entice people to share their biometric data. In the US, where Altman has said the crypto regulatory landscape is uncertain, the reasons for signing up are still mostly hypothetical.

“Sam Altman is interesting — he’s not only motivated by money,” said Alberto Simon, who came through a downtown Manhattan store called the Canvas for a scan on Tuesday. “I like random tech stuff.” …

“I don’t think I have any actual use for this right now,” said Ben Deeb, who stopped by to offer up his irises in Los Angeles. “I just like trying out things. Plus, I’m a TV writer on strike. I figured I got the time.”

Nobody is going to turn down getting their eyes scanned by a chrome orb, that is just science. Oh a guy is building a superintelligent AI and also compiling a permanent electronic identification database of all humans, that’s great, that’s not an alarming science-fiction premise at all. I feel like if you made that movie you’d have to have some plausible back story about how the AI convinced people to hand over their iris scans to the AI, but in the real world you don’t.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wheres my free electric shock? this is bullshit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echinopsis posted:

wheres my free electric shock? this is bullshit

I’m surprised it’s not even higher tbh.

the issue with that experiment is that via context the participants know it can’t be that bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah like, you'd have to be paying decent money for the privilege of a worthwhile electric shock

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

just be an ee that has a youtube channel, you can get shocks so bad you brownout the neighborhood and the electric company comes and scolds you

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

and your wife leaves you

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and you think the problem is regulations so you burn your nice yt income to the ground becoming a nut in real time

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
are we talking about electroboom or photonicinduction

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the latter. electroboom hasnt milkshake ducked yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012