Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

saw an early screening of the new tmnt movie last night

im happy studios are being influenced by spiderverse and puss to do more untraditional animation styles. the strongest aspect of this new flick is the art direction.

unfortunately the writing was not influenced by those better movies and it's pretty thin, even for a kid's movie. thought it was pretty meh overall from a narrative perspective which was enough to make me not care about how cool/interesting the animation was.

ah well.

I'm seeing it tonight. It was the spiderverse movies that made me hopeful for this new turtles movie would be good. I'm hoping its still going to be a good time for me. More odd reviews out there though, mostly positive, but the negative ones are kinda 'wtf' ex.: Seth Rogan being a writer and the humor not being more like Superbad's... which was a rated R movie covering subjects I don't think we'll see in a ninja turtle movie for the nickelodeon demographic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Not a hardcore Turtles fan (watched the original cartoon here and there as a kid, played a bunch of the video games, and that’s about it) but I liked Mutant Mayhem a lot, even if the visuals are much stronger than the story. The kids voicing the turtles are really likable and have good chemistry together

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Inkspot posted:

Like that nobody Jon Favreau.

THIS. The worst thing a piece of media can be is not GOOD or BAD. It's BORING.

I got into a conversation with someone who actually wanted to see Manso: The Hands of Fate redone by A-list actors and directed by the likes of Wes Anderson, and I was of the opinion if the script was the same, that such a remake would just be bad - Manos is what it is because nobody involved knew what the hell they were doing, making it a fascinating trainwreck.

but yeah, while there was the initial 'eeew disney remake' and 'Oh god not Tim Burton again' by people who were a little tired of his style, it faded from the public consciousness almost immediately.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Elemental advertising at Fuji TV HQ in Tokyo.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah I enjoyed it. The reviews I've read have been baffling though, mostly pre-release critics at screenings. Like that it wasn't scary. It's a kid's Disney movie based on a kids ride where the ghosts sing to you... were you expecting something more along the lines of IT?

It's another marketing fumble, I think. The Haunted Mansion is a legendary attraction for a reason. It's right there in the theme song, they're grim grinning ghosts. This is not a small thing; the mansion took a pretty long time to get made in no small part because they couldn't figure out how to nail the tone for a haunted house in the Happiest Place on Earth.

The various trailers have them exclusively being menacing, which is very much not the point of the Mansion.

...I really need to get around to seeing this movie, haha.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem was great! Doesn’t hit the same emotional highs of Spider-Verse but makes up for it in straight comedy. I’m a lifelong TMNT fan, and though my kids have never seen any of their shows/movies before this, all of us really liked it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

I got into a conversation with someone who actually wanted to see Manso: The Hands of Fate redone by A-list actors and directed by the likes of Wes Anderson, and I was of the opinion if the script was the same, that such a remake would just be bad - Manos is what it is because nobody involved knew what the hell they were doing, making it a fascinating trainwreck.

Yeah, you can't make a bad movie on purpose, audiences can strangely tell. The true bad greats are ones that (at least some of) the cast & crew were giving it their best and their best was just bad, whether it be to inexperience or just a garbage story/script/etc.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
In true modern fashion, earnestness, even when misguided, wins the day.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was so disappointed when I saw the sequels to Sleepaway Camp.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Why? Sleepaway camp 2 n 3 are a hoot

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, you can't make a bad movie on purpose, audiences can strangely tell. The true bad greats are ones that (at least some of) the cast & crew were giving it their best and their best was just bad, whether it be to inexperience or just a garbage story/script/etc.

Paraphrasing Rich Evans "for a bad movie to be fun to watch, they have to have tried".

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

MacheteZombie posted:

Why? Sleepaway camp 2 n 3 are a hoot

They lacked the bizarre and lovable absurdity of the first and became run-of-the-mill tits slashers.
To be fair, they lacked the star power that is Robert Earl Jones.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

deong posted:

Elemental advertising at Fuji TV HQ in Tokyo.

Someone should really fire the marketing dude for the US cause this kicks the poo poo out of what we got here.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Das Boo posted:

They lacked the bizarre and lovable absurdity of the first and became run-of-the-mill tits slashers.
To be fair, they lacked the star power that is Robert Earl Jones.

Pamela Springsteen is fantastic! I'd say they are more parodies of run of the mill slashers.

Oh we're in the animation thread, I'll drop this, thanks for the reply.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robindaybird posted:

I've also heard it put that Manos basically has more or less a very similar premise to the Rocky Horror Picture Show minus the musical numbers.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Paraphrasing Rich Evans "for a bad movie to be fun to watch, they have to have tried".

Pretty much, yeah. You need misguided effort enough to have something to engage with, and also the audience to be familiar enough with good stuff to know bad stuff when they see it. Something that's bad and not putting in effort is usually just tedious and forgettable, if not outright offensive, unless they hosed up spectacularly enough to have interesting bits.

I'm reminded of the Star Wars Holiday Special, which while interesting in its own way for having such high production values and the original cast of revolutionary classics used for a terrible variety show (also reminded of the Simpsons parody of the Brady Bunch Variety Hour) it's usually said to be very little fun to actually watch because what isn't bafflingly poorly thought out is just generic and dull.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
it can occasionally work, something like Black Dynamite, or most of Mel Brooks' films.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

animated film marketing produce a poster without a smug face challenge (impossible)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I was like, "That face doesn't look so bad" and then my eyes scrolled down to the goat

mystes
May 31, 2006

was the goat outsourced to dreamworks?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

mystes posted:

was the goat outsourced to dreamworks?

The great face schism saw pro-facers driven to Disney and the anti-facers to Sony.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Top Disney execs: "Well people seemed to really like that new Puss In Boots movie from Dreamworks. Elemental wasn't a flop but it was definitely not as well received, so what do they have that we don't?

"The faces they make on the posters?"

"... holy poo poo get this man a raise and tell the boys in marketing, stat!"

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Pixar Invented the Dreamworks face! It's just the Buzz Lightyear face from Toy Story 2.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Its a thought, isnt it?
Whats the first usage of the DreamWorks face in advert? Id imagine it wasnt even dreamworks

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Hihohe posted:

Its a thought, isnt it?
Whats the first usage of the DreamWorks face in advert? Id imagine it wasnt even dreamworks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

(Entertainment Weekly cover, 8/8/1994)

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

animals in animation have become steadily less animal-like and more toy-like as animators themselves have steadily less contact with animals, only toys

real goats have a perpetual :stare: expression that could be very funny if utilised in a design

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The problem with that is that goat eyes are incredibly creepy and would disturb all children in the audience.
Also I am not a fan of 'realistic' portrayals of animals in animated movies. That's mostly why the CGI Lion King sucked so much. It was mostly quasi-realistic big cats opening their mouths without any stylistic freedom and with barely any visible emotion.

mystes
May 31, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

The problem with that is that goat eyes are incredibly creepy and would disturb all children in the audience.
I'm sorry you're racist against goats op

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
One day, a helpless child was gently pushed in a petting zoo by a goat who wanted food. That day, this child lost it's innocence and began to see the bad in other creatures. That child was me! But it was also you and you as this story kept repeating itself over the decades. Goats need to be ostracized for what they did.

Actually, goats themselves are really cute, if a bit stinky and unruly. I love them. But yeah, a highly detailed realistic animated goat seems terrifying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also I am not a fan of 'realistic' portrayals of animals in animated movies. That's mostly why the CGI Lion King sucked so much. It was mostly quasi-realistic big cats opening their mouths without any stylistic freedom and with barely any visible emotion.

And that was entirely intentional. From what I've heard the animators kept trying to make the faces more expressive and appealing through the decades of cartoon tricks they all knew, but the director's vision was "no, Animal Planet :colbert:"

Fuckin maddening

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

a strange fowl posted:

real goats have a perpetual :stare: expression that could be very funny if utilised in a design

You know what? I would love to see an unnerving animal sidekick that startles everyone and might be nefarious. Standing in doorways, showing up in impossible spaces, taking down minor threats through its presence alone... You could even have a part in the climactic fight where the sidekick scares the villain into dropping the macguffin.

It's a fun idea.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

One day, a helpless child was gently pushed in a petting zoo by a goat who wanted food. That day, this child lost it's innocence and began to see the bad in other creatures. That child was me! But it was also you and you as this story kept repeating itself over the decades. Goats need to be ostracized for what they did.

Actually, goats themselves are really cute, if a bit stinky and unruly. I love them. But yeah, a highly detailed realistic animated goat seems terrifying.

:yeah:

mystes
May 31, 2006

If goat not friend then why GOAT?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/dexertonox/status/1686850736418705408?s=46&t=cJ2axWpTEnA8FhAE9gbxhg

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Goats were one of the earliest domesticated animals. I know the horizontal slit eyes are a little off-putting, but it's different when you see them in action.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I appreciate this guy always giving me more reasons to hate him

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Christopher Miller had been blowing up my timeline promoting The Afterparty, is he exempt as part of the DGA?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I don't know if eyes would be that distu....

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

what's even worse is animals have their own body language that lets them emote! That's why we perceive dogs as looking guilty when they're caught with the trash can lid around her necks, or a cat trying to hide their embarrassment after falling off the chair.

The CGI Lion King Did not use any body language - barely any ear movements, tails staying still, hardly any pawing at the ground or curling up the lips - nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Robindaybird posted:

what's even worse is animals have their own body language that lets them emote! That's why we perceive dogs as looking guilty when they're caught with the trash can lid around her necks, or a cat trying to hide their embarrassment after falling off the chair.

The CGI Lion King Did not use any body language - barely any ear movements, tails staying still, hardly any pawing at the ground or curling up the lips - nothing.
while in the original they brought live lion cubs into the studio for the animators to study. that's what i mean by realistic, not photorealistic cgi