Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Wasn't he checking out her chest earlier in the game? At least be consistent, man.

he's thinks she's physically attractive, but is not interested in dating her, and entirely put off by the "do my homework" routine, none of those things are inconsistent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Whoa, that’s the first time I’ve heard anyone actually say that out loud… Kek!

I get it now! He’s so… generic and forgettable, with no sex appeal at all! Nishima must be an NPC!

oh no, she's too online

we have to euthanize her for her own good

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

is "So we’ve arrived at the diner… I’ve heard all about the unlimited fountain drinks at these places…" missing a portrait?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Booky posted:

is "So we’ve arrived at the diner… I’ve heard all about the unlimited fountain drinks at these places…" missing a portrait?

Forgot to mention it but I did fix this, it was a Futaba line.

Speaking of Futaba, her winter coat portrait is wider than most of the other ones, so, you guessed it, I did the same thing I did with Noir and Shadow Okumura's portraits and made hers bigger to compensate.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 141: 10/2-10/3: Shujin Is For Winners (New)

Anon: Calling card YAAAAAAS!

Daytime

They should just execute everyone who causes trouble for society.
Ooh, maybe they could take down my boss!
Politicians who knock the Phantom Thieves are just sore losers.
What about Akechi-kun? Is he too afraid of backlash to comment?

Anon: wonder what’ll happen now
Anon: I’ve been waiting for this
Anon: no more big bang burg, lmao
Anon: No apology yet? :/
Anon: Ooh, a calling card! kekeke

Music: Tokyo Emergency

I’d like to ask them to target some people I know, too. I deal with far too many ignorant fools.

Ah, it’s those ignoramuses who can only insult me after they fail to comprehend my film critiques. Like the Phantom Thieves, I have a policy as well. The masses will never dictate my convictions. Of course, I know I am alone, thinking this way. But such is my destiny, and I humbly accept it.

Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Let’s start off with this: The Pumpkin Ghost Set! Get in the Halloween spirit! 1 Lantern Necklace and 5 Pumpkin Soup! Both items in one set! What a steal! But that’s not all! We’ve got even more to show you! Next up, the Ghost Repellant Set! Don’t like the Halloween spirit? Scare it off with this!

Oh, how nice, they’re offering products for people who love Halloween, but also for people who hate it. Something for everybody.

5 Baptismal Water and 5 Exorcism Water! These will both be in one set! What a steal!

Despite my well-known love of Halloween, I am also an incorrigible coward, so we’ll be picking up the Ghost Repellent Set.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

The hot new trend is for people to send calling cards to each other. This time, I’m looking for a Calling Postcard. I’ll trade you for this Strawberry Daifuku. Obtain the callin’ card in style, all right, my man?

Yeah, sure, whatever. You know, I could get you a genuine one of these instead of some tacky consumerist knockoff.
Why would you have a real one?
Uh, never mind!

Or did you actually obtain the Calling Postcard like the Phantom Thieves themselves!? Would you like to trade that for my Strawberry Daifuku?

Just take it! Take this Strawberry Daifuku from my hands!

Hmm, so this is the Calling Postcard, eh? This fabulous design is quite charming. It almost stole my heart. Thank you. I look forward to next time.

The Strawberry Daifuku fully restores the party’s HP and cures all ailments.

Shut up.

Fiiiiine.

Thank you. Let’s meet in the student council room. We can take the back entrance into school.

I still cannot believe you hang out at school on your days off. Nerd.
Stop calling me a nerd! I saw your score on the finals. You get extremely good grades!
Buuusted.

Priestess Rank 7: Part 118

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

His days and nights are reversed due to his work, so he often sends me a “good morning” late at night…

I don’t like the sound of that. You want some help dealing with this?
I’m surprised you even care.
I’m not a *creep*, Makoto, I’m just a garden-variety scumbag.
…What?
My point is, just because the two of us have some irreconcilable philosophical differences is no reason to let you get perv’d on by some host on the wrong side of twenty-nine. Bullying you in that specific way would be gross. But also, we’re teammates. I got your back.
Well, um… thank you. Anyway, he hasn’t asked me out or anything yet… I’d definitely tell Eiko if he did. He’s been asking about you a lot too.
Hm?
Yeah, he’s actually asked about you a lot. Stuff like “Is your boyfriend well?” or “How healthy is your boyfriend?” or “If you had to rate your boyfriend’s kidneys on a scale from 0-10, how well do they function?” I’m not really sure what that’s about…

…Do you think their relationship could actually be serious? Was I just biased to think that all he wants from Eiko is her money?

I mean, you were definitely suspicious from the outset. But that’s not necessarily a problem. That initial skepticism lets you see things Eiko can’t. For instance, that that host is a massive goddamn creep preying on a high schooler.
You’re right. It may sound far-fetched, but those types of people exist in real life as well… My father used to talk about gang activity all the time. Human trafficking rings, blackmail, illegal immigration… He once told me about gangs of roving men looking for depressed women in Shinjuku, who would be abused and forced to sell their bodies to pay debts…
…Wait, your dad told you all this? H-How old were you when this happened, exactly?
He died three years ago, remember? He was going after one of those gangs when he was hit by a truck.
Oh, is that what happened? I’m not trying to minimize it, but from the way you were talking about it I assumed he got bumped o—

Music: Confession/Secret

They initially thought it was an accident, but at his funeral I overheard my father’s supervisor mention to my sister that the gang likely hired the driver. They pumped him full of drugs and sent him after my father, killing them both…
How… needlessly complicated.
That incident with my father helped spur on the Shinjuku cleanup operation that pushed that gang back into the shadows.
Well, at least… some good came of it?
……
Yeah, sorry, that’s rough.
I wish I could be more like my father, but I’ve been so passive all this time. That incident is why my sister became a prosecutor, actually. She couldn’t let evil go unpunished… After my father’s death, we were on our own, so all the responsibility fell to her. She’s been bearing it all ever since, and it seems she now resents our father… She said death is no different than surrender…
Okay, on some level I understand your sister resenting your dad because he chose to die pursuing criminals, forcing her into being your guardian at an early age. That tracks logically, even if it kind of sucks. I don’t really get the logic you’re describing, though. Your dad didn’t give up, he was murdered. I guess your sister is just Built Different and simply would not be murdered, though.
I mean, I guess? Can you stop interrupting? I’m almost done.
No promises.
Anyway, I still look up to my father. I was lonely from his long hours at work… but he was tireless. Tenacious, even. Watching him pursue justice every day was incredible.
Sounds like you really looked up to him. Can’t say I relate to idolizing a cop, but he sounds like he was a good man. ACAB still applies, though.
I’m just going to start ignoring you… But that was the life he chose. What have I chosen for myself? What is the life I want to live? I’ve just been following the path my sister laid for me, out of a desire to lighten her burden.
That’s noble in its own way, but I can see how it’d be stifling.
Weren’t we supposed to be talking about Eiko? Oops… But that was productive, nevertheless. I’ve never talked with anyone about my father… But for some reason, I could talk about it with you. And I feel like I understand myself a bit better now too. I’ll only say this once, so… thanks.

I can sense a deep bond of trust from Makoto…

“Maybe I’ll like, skip college n just get married 2 Tsukasa insted.” I guess she’s choosing how she wants to live too. As long as she’s sure she’ll be happy…

Makoto, we just went over this. This guy clearly sucks if for no other reason than he’s dating her.

Oh, another message. Huh…? “U serious abt Hamiru-kun?” “Wanna hav a double wedding?”

……
……
I’m going to delete that message.
Good idea.
We should keep pretending to be a couple for a while though. It’s the only way I can keep tabs on Eiko and Tsukasa. I’ll let you know if anything comes up. Thank you for listening to me today.
Ha! You said you wouldn’t say it again!
loving poo poo! Goddammit!

I just wanted to talk about Eiko, but I got a little off-topic… Thanks for still pretending to be my boyfriend, too. I don’t trust Eiko’s boyfriend yet, so… can we keep this up until I can make a call one way or the other?

Oops, too many periods for a full stop, but not enough for an ellipsis!

I’ll talk to you later. Bye.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

We’re not going to go to the movies with Futaba. No, we have other plans (with Futaba).

This Sunday’s special drink at the jazz club is not a cold hot chocolate made from pouring hot cocoa mix into cold milk, but instead “Tetrakarn Soda.” Unfortunately, Tetrakarn is a marginal skill at best. It can get us out of some real jams, but we’re generally wanting for real estate in our action slots as it is, so it’s probably not worth it to give that skill to anyone.

However, we’re not actually giving this skill to anyone, because it’s time to find out what happens when we bring Futaba to the jazz club on a Sunday! Futaba has no use for combat skills, after all, so either something weird will happen or we’ll just waste a Sunday night. Fingers crossed.

Music: No More What Ifs

But at the same time, I’m kinda hyped! It’s like a dungeon in here!

Even though he seems to complain a lot, he always ends up getting me the things I ask for. That’s why I take care of all the stuff he buys for me. And if something breaks, I try and fix it myself.
I chatted with Futaba for a while…

It’s not bad spending a day outdoors every now and then… My thanks, Maaku!
It looks like spending time in the jazz club has had an effect on Futaba’s heart!

Oh boy, Support Plus 1! She did learn something after all!

As you can see, Support Plus 1 gives us a new option for Futaba’s Moral Support. This first version allows her to cast Masukunda on enemies. And yes, there are more than just this one, as the name helpfully spoils. No points for guessing what the other ones do.

I will mention that it’s not totally settled among the playerbase whether you actually should bother getting Futaba’s Support Plus skills, because it’s somewhat unclear if they “steal” a Moral Support proc that might have gone to a more useful party buff, but I’m just going to get them for the sake of thoroughness. Anyway, our Sunday nights are basically spent for the foreseeable future, because even if we don’t end up grabbing a specific jazz club skill, we’re going to be bringing Futaba that night to get the next Support Plus skill.

But it ended up being pretty fun. Let’s go home, Maaku!

That’s not a saying, Futaba.

Anon: hurry up n apologize, drat!

Early Morning

Yes, please repeat that for the benefit of the cameraman. He got stuck in traffic and missed the beginning of this conversation.

Music: Confession/Secret

(Middle-Aged Teacher) Now, nothing’s been decided as of yet… But at the rate that things are going, Yoshizawa-san’s honor status could possibly be revoked.

Uh, why are you speaking about her in the third person? She’s right in front of you.

Something so serious should, of course, be brought to the attention of both her parents and yourself.

Isn’t revoking her status as an honor student a bit of an overreaction on the school’s part?

Oh, maybe this teacher is talking to Maruki and just ignoring Kasumi here? Weird, either way.

I understand how you feel, but… Well, third place doesn’t really cut it in this case… She needs to attain first-place results for her exceptional status to be worthwhile.

Don’t get me wrong here. Personally, I think her results are impressive, but… I suppose the argument could be made that if she’s going to represent Shujin and receive special treatment, it’s not enough. Please don’t shoot the messenger here, okay? This is necessary to guarantee fairness across the entire student body.

Oh, I’m sorry, is delivering this bad news harshing your mellow??? Yeah, your feelings are the important thing here, dick.

It’s not as if you’ve been expelled or the like. Another meet’s coming soon—please try for the results the school wants to see.
Sir, putting excessive expectations on Yoshizawa-san will only be to her detriment.
Oh, that wasn’t at all my intention! I just wanted to give her a little encouragement.

Oh, gently caress off!

Dr. Maruki, please continue serving the student body as counselor and providing support to Yoshizawa-san. This meeting was merely meant to express how the entire faculty will be supporting her.

The unstated “how” in that sentence is: “We won’t be.”

That’s the reason I had you sit in today, Dr. Maruki.
Supporting her… I see.
At any rate, that’s all I wanted to discuss with you today. Please keep in mind, these changes are all hypothetical—unless Yoshizawa-san doesn’t provide better results.

That’s the opposite of hypothetical!

……
Well, I suppose we should wrap up here.

This awful teacher is voiced by David Lodge, fake Igor, by the way.

Didn’t she seem off to you?

Hm? There’s something on the ground.

Yoshizawa must’ve dropped it.

…Shoot, she’s gone. Let’s return it after school. We should at least send her a text so she knows where it is.

Music: Suspicion

(Vice Principal) I truly hope this is what finally drives her to succeed… She needs to push herself beyond third place and bring home some stronger results, and soon.

Trying to motivate her with harsh words is only going to give her more anxiety.
Dr. Maruki, we aren’t running a charity. If she’s going to receive special treatment, she needs to provide adequate results. Praising her until her head swells may be your idea of therapy, but we can’t afford to just butter her up forever.

Fuuuuuuck this!

We took in those sisters to improve Shujin’s standing, but at this rate, we’re only going to end up suffering for it. Not only have we lost one of them, but the other one’s not doing us any good. Talk about a waste of effort…

Oh! It got worse!

Sir!
Oh, ah, pardon me. But there’s no denying—first with Mr. Kamoshida, now the principal’s death—we’ve got our backs to the wall here. If this school doesn’t bounce back soon, even my own rear end will be on the line… …That’ll be all. Excuse me.

Early Morning → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

Stealing hearts? Social reform? Don’t give me this Phantom Thieves nonsense. It’s all so unscientific. I mean, how could they target Big Bang Burger and Okumura Foods? They’re criminals! That artificially consummate flavor… Enough volume to fill a small universe… Are the Phantom Thieves trying to steal the galaxy of junk food from me!? That said… Hamiru-kun. Perhaps you think you understand how vast the universe is, full of countless galaxies, but consider this… If we use “three watermelons in the sun” to visualize a certain matter’s size against the universe’s, what are the melons?

Hah. I expected as much from you. It’s meant to convey the density of stars in the vastness of space. Three bees in the whole of Europe also works. In other words, the universe is essentially empty. There are countless stars in the sky, but the universe is even more vast than that. Even within our own galaxy, the stars are separated by a great distance, despite the sheer volume of them visible.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Close, but yet far… Hehe, you could say the same of our hearts.
Ugh, if he only know the places we’ve been…

Afternoon → After School

Kasumi’s voice is distorted and low-quality. That’s not a criticism of the voice acting, it’s just me describing the way she sounds on this phone call.

I’m sorry, I just now noticed that you tried to reach me. My smartphone seems to be acting up again.

The poor audio must be from her cell phone, then.

You found my good luck charm, right?

Odaiba, in front of the stadium… where we met before.

The call drops.

I couldn’t hear everything, but it seems like she’s at the stadium. She seemed to be acting unusually this morning, too. Do you think something happened?

Me too. When we met her there last time, she did mention that she goes there when she’s depressed.

To Odaiba, right?

I do nothing but cause trouble for Hamiru-senpai, even Dr. Maruki…

(Laid-Back Man) Yeah yeah, just a sec—I’m looking up a spot right now. It’s supposed to be somewhere around here…
Ugh, you’ve gotten us totally lost! I don’t recognize any of these places. What’s that building even supposed to be, anyway?
Uhhh, I think they’re building some kinda convention center? Or was it a research lab? What’s it matter, anyway?

It’s not a lab, it’s a stadium.

Video: Emergence

Music: To Another World

Well, that's... unfortunate.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 13, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
:orb:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Doesn't Palace navigation also require a name?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Doesn't Palace navigation also require a name?

Please hold all questions about the mechanics of this Palace until the relevant explanatory period, which at the rate we're going should be... some time late next year.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You got into Kamoshida's palace by accident the first time around because you happened to have a conversation in which the words "Kamoshida," "school" and "castle" were spoken at some point, it didn't require any targeted effort.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well...the last time a happy fun orb appeared in a Persona game, it happened to be the penultimate boss of the entire game. That's not a good sign for our crew.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The third-person speaking is actually how you politely talk to someone in Japanese. There are words that effectively mean “you”, but using them implies some sort of familiarity. To a stranger, you just speak their name instead; hopefully you remembered how they introduced themselves! Using generic nouns referencing a person of roughly similar sex and age (like obasan for a woman roughly around 30-50) is also permissible, if they haven’t introduced themselves.

So in that scene, people speaking “Yoshizawa-san” are talking to her and should have been translated as such.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Who would have thought Kasumi was a hockey fan.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

that's a lot of camera lenses. ohya are you involved in this poo poo

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

At least the Royal-specific anime cutscenes are more consistent about Joker having glasses.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

You’re right. It may sound far-fetched, but those types of people exist in real life as well… My father used to t alk about gang activity all the time. Human trafficking rings, blackmail, illegal immigration… He once told me about gangs of roving men looking for depressed women in Shinjuku, who would be abused and forced to sell their bodies to pay debts…

An extra space in between a word there

Arist posted:

Okay, on some level I understand your sister resenting your dad because he chose to die pursuing criminals, forcing her into being your guardian at an early age. That tracks logically, even if it kind of sucks. I don’t really get the logic you’re describing, though. Your dad didn’t give up, he was murdered. I guess your sister is just Built Different and simply would not murdered, though.

Missing a "be" there

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 142: 10/3: Mental Gymnastics (New)

Music: Tension

This atmosphere… Is this a Palace!?

Man, I’m in my Halloween duds and you’re bipedal, I don’t know what other possibility there could possibly be.

But, we never activated the Nav…

It’s a possibility. She wasn’t anywhere near us when we slipped into this Palace…

Okay, so how’d we get in here then?

She can’t fight like we do. We have to find her, fast!

Music: ?????

The area heading down past these gates seems suspicious to me. Let’s go, Joker!

Man, what the hell is this place…?

Oh god, there’s birds in here! That’s gonna be a pain to resolve, glad this ain’t my Palace.

Okay, let’s head to the door.

The “Locked Door” is, in fact, locked.

Looks to me like that could be a foothold. Let’s see if there’s a way to climb up!

Not much to say here. Just gotta grapple a couple times and then it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump to the next dialogue trigger.

Was that Yoshizawa!?

Mona, you’re sure asking a lot of obvious questions. The dialogue was labeled “Kasumi’s Voice”, for crying out loud!

Yeah, stay on guard though!

yippeeeeeeeee

Music: Desire

What…

You dare to spurn our lord’s mercy…

The entity rears back and lets out a guttural scream before transforming violently into a strange new Shadow.

(Shadow’s Voice) Accept yourself… Our lord laments the foolishness birthed from your pain.
What are you talking about?

Yoshizawa!?

Still…

I think we all know what time it is…

Video: Kasumi’s Awakening (Absolutely watch this)

Music: Awakening

Holy poo poo, is this what I think it is!?

Buckle up boys, we’re going full magical girl!!!

Well, Kasumi, you finally awoke to your Persona, and not a moment too soon. Can’t wait to see how things unfold from here.

Kasumi’s Persona is Cendrillon, who, as the awakening itself very unsubtly hinted at, is literally Cinderella, “Cendrillon” being the French adaptation of the folk tale. By the way, that’s pronounced “Sawn-dree-yon,” which is a sick as hell thing to shout while you rip your own face off to summon a ghost.

The story of Cinderella is unimaginably famous and I probably don’t need to explain it at all, but I’ll give some context anyway. The tale itself, involving a young woman forsaken by her wicked stepmother and stepsisters who ascends to the throne of a kingdom by marriage, has thousands of variants across the globe. The story is considered to have originated with the tale of Rhodopis, recounted by the Greek philosopher Strabo, about a Greek slave girl who marries the king of Egypt. The story was adapted into a literary work in Italy by Giambattista Basile in 1634, and another version was published by the Brothers Grimm in 1812, but perhaps the most famous version of the story (well, literary version anyway, I'm not talking about the Disney one) is Charles Perrault’s, published in 1697. Cendrillon’s appearance features some references to the story, with her legs made of glass and her skin presumably darkened by soot (girl, you gotta wash that off ASAP, that’s not considered especially racially sensitive these days). Additionally, the glass slippers in Kasumi’s magical girl transformation sequence, along with the entire sequence itself, are more fairly blatant parallels.

The last thing I’ll say on this is that Cendrillon is a pretty good character design. I really like Shigenori Soejima’s base Persona designs (besides most of the P3 ones, anyway), and this one is a solid B+ at worst for me. Kaguya from P4G might legitimately still be the best design he’s ever made, though (with Kouzeon’s telescope head probably being the funniest).

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 10, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I love Kasumi's stupid magical girl awakening, one of the best :allears:

Cendrillon's glass and soot and princess design is also all around solid.

absolute banger

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I appreciate the idea of the Prince going from house to house checking if their feet fit the glass slippers, until finally he gets to her. Finally, someone with vertical sharp spikes for feet, I feel bad for all the women we crippled by shoving their feet into these "shoes"!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's awfully polite of the Shadows to wait for the heroes to have their rousing speech, take their migraine medication, and then do their dramatic transformation before attacking.

Also, like I said in the YouTube comments, Kasumi seems more like a Sailor Scout going through a goth phase than a Phantom Thief.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Holy poo poo, is this what I think it is!?

Buckle up boys, we’re going full magical girl!!!

What a homage to Sailor Moon

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I literally did not move from the starting point of the Palace for several minutes the first time I heard this as I wanted to just absorb the whole thing.

It's equal parts soothing and disturbing. loving epic.

kebyou
Feb 7, 2023

Gantolandon posted:

The third-person speaking is actually how you politely talk to someone in Japanese. There are words that effectively mean “you”, but using them implies some sort of familiarity. To a stranger, you just speak their name instead; hopefully you remembered how they introduced themselves! Using generic nouns referencing a person of roughly similar sex and age (like obasan for a woman roughly around 30-50) is also permissible, if they haven’t introduced themselves.

So in that scene, people speaking “Yoshizawa-san” are talking to her and should have been translated as such.

Wow poo poo I'm late in replying.
I think it only works if you happen to be strictly the same age group. Using "you" on your superiors is a social death sentence but it only works if you're the superior (e: or you're best buds).
Checking the JPN text, the middle aged teacher doesn't refer to Kasumi has her last name but as 君 (kimi).

kebyou fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 7, 2023

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

absolute banger

Was just gonna say- I really hope those at home are listening, because the music in this dungeon is really good. My favorite of the new tracks, probably, and it just becomes better once... certain context is known, drat it's hard talking around spoilers.

And while I do like the design of our new persona, Cinderella... really doesn't fall into any kind of thief or criminal mode, which kinda annoys me, honestly. I mean, it is a story about surviving abuse, so it does still kinda fit, but only if you squint and say that getting a fancy night on the town with the help of fairy magic is an act of theft.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
She steals into a party intended for the gentry, and makes off with a prince, that's kind of roguish. Okay that's a stretch, but I dunno that I'd say she's less of a gentleman thief than Pope Johanna or the Necronomicon.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It also makes sense that someone who has stated they fundamentally disagree with the concept of the Phantom Thieves wouldn't have a thief/criminal persona.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

She steals into a party intended for the gentry, and makes off with a prince, that's kind of roguish. Okay that's a stretch, but I dunno that I'd say she's less of a gentleman thief than Pope Johanna or the Necronomicon.

She didn't want the prince, though! If anything, he was a nice bonus to wearing something pretty and having fun away from her rear end in a top hat step-family!

I'm only being half serious here; as I'm writing this, I'm remembering other parts of Kasumi's story that make this selection really good. It jus... isn't as elegant as I'd like, writing wise.

(But thenm that's most of persona, so :shrug: )

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

anakha posted:

It also makes sense that someone who has stated they fundamentally disagree with the concept of the Phantom Thieves wouldn't have a thief/criminal persona.

It's this, her Persona isn't a thief like everyone else's because she fundamentally doesn't have the same "heart of rebellion".

It's the same thing as Akechi's Robin Hood not really being a thief the way everyone else's Persona are either, or Futaba's Necronomicon being a source of forbidden knowledge rather than a thief. In that Robin Hood is a heroic figure in his story, whereas everyone else has someone more villainous. Except Morgana I guess. Arsene is a criminal mastermind, Captain Kidd is a vicious pirate, Carmen is a femme fatale who uses and abandons men, Goemon was an attempted assassin, Johanna deceived the church, Milady is an untrustworthy schemer.

Robin Hood is the rightful nobility displaced by a villain whose motivation is as much to get back his nobility as it is to help the poor (and depending on actual interpretation the latter is downplayed). Zorro is outright a defender of those who need protection.

So most of the Phantom Thieves have Persona who are villainised in their own stories/narratives, whereas Robin Hood and Cinderella and Zorro are all the "heroes" of their story. Which fits that they're not persecuted/abused/mistreated by those in power for who they are the way the Thieves are, they're not seen as villains/thugs/harlots etc.

With the Necronomicon being the most different of the lot because it is much more about Futaba's own sense of knowledge than it is about persecution by those in power.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 9, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 143: 10/3-10/4: Born In Cinders (New)

Music: Will Power

Cendrillon’s skillset is based around Bless and Physical moves, as you can see. As for Cendrillon’s Trait, it’s Veil of Midnight, which reduces the chance an ally will be knocked down when they are attacked.

Anyway, this enemy is weak to Bless, so there’s really no challenge at all.

Music: Disquiet

Hey, are you all right?
I can’t… be weak anymore…

Kasumi struggles to stay on her feet, but eventually manages to keep standing with a triumphant-yet-pained-shout.

Whoa! I’m quite impressed, considering how you just awakened to your Persona and all.
Hamiru-senpai… Right?

I could tell from your voice, and your posture. By the way…

Well, of course. This has to be awfully confusing for her.

…Looks like they’ve found us. Time to get out of here, quick. We can explain later.

Right!

This was your location before you entered the Metaverse. We all just came back.
Came… back? Did we go somewhere?
Uh, about that…
Please, tell me anything you might know about what’s going on. I need to know what just happened to me.
I know how you feel, but… What should we do, Maaku?

Seems fair enough to clue her in.

Yeah, you’re right. Okay, I’ll tell you everything from the beginning.
Thank you.

I’m sure it’s not easy to wrap your head around all of this in one go.
Normally I wouldn’t believe any of that, but after seeing it all for myself…

I’ll let that last part slide this time… but isn’t there something else that should be surprising you?

Took you long enough.

Yeah, that’s what I said!

And, I am NOT a cat! I am Morgana!
…I see. Well, since you seem to know a lot more about this than I do, maybe I should call you Morgana-senpai.
Oh, that’s right—Maaku, don’t you have something for her?

You didn’t seem your usual self this morning. Did something happen?
Well… I didn’t get a chance to tell you yet, but… I got third place in the last meet. Of course I’m not happy about it, but it looks like the school is even more displeased. I was summoned to the guidance office this morning. I was warned that the school might revoke my honors status if I don’t improve my results soon. It would be due to my own inability to succeed in gymnastics, so I have to say, it’s not an unfair consequence… But I also overheard the vice principal talking about how I’m a useless waste of effort… And I dragged Dr. Maruki into this mess too, since he was with me when I got the news. That’s what really got to me.
That’s a tough break.
So I ended up coming here—then, all of a sudden, I was in that place we just left…

I feel like whatever happened in there helped me to get over it. I’m going to realize my dream for sure!
Seems like you really are on the up and up now.

I have never heard “on the up and up” used like this.

Oh, that explains it, it’s loving British! :argh:

It sounds like it was pure coincidence, based on what she’s told us.

The Nav?
Well, I suppose that makes the most sense. Hey, do you mind if we take a quick look at your phone? If the Nav’s on there, we’d be able to tell whose Palace that was with the search history.

Why’s that?
The battery’s dead. It’s been acting up for a while now, so that could have something to do with it.
Aw, really? Shouldn’t you get that checked out?

We couldn’t make its ruler our target unless we reached a unanimous decision, anyway.

Ummmm, well, we’re…
You are, aren’t you?

I basically told the Phantom Thieves themselves that I don’t agree with what they’re doing!

Don’t worry about it. With that out of the way… What’s your call, Maaku?

Yoshizawa, of course. Considering how she did back there, don’t you think she’d make a worthy addition to the Phantom Thieves?
So, you mean you want me to join the Phantom Thieves?
In a nutshell, yeah. You’ve awakened to your Persona, you’re aware of the existence of Palaces… And, from the looks of things, you’ve got quite the potential. If you’re willing to join us, we’d be glad to have you.

You don’t have to give us an answer right now. I mean, you probably shouldn’t make any decisions until you learn more about what it is we’re actually doing.

Uh, okay then. Guess they’re not going to painstakingly rewrite the story and reanimate the cutscenes to add Kasumi into the rest of the game. Welp.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

When I awakened to my… Persona, was it? I also realized something… I can’t keep obsessing over my shortcomings in gymnastics like this.

Because you need to focus on your gymnastics.
I’m truly sorry to say no after all you’ve done for me.

With hindsight, this option feels really passive-aggressive.

Thankfully, Kasumi doesn’t seem to mind.

But I think I’d only cause you all more trouble if I were to join up without being totally invested in it. Of course, I won’t say a word about this to anyone.
I’m glad you catch on so quickly. Well, if you ever change your mind about us, just let us know, okay?
Thank you Morgana-senpai. If that ever happens, I’ll get in touch right away!
Yes!
I should extend the same gratitude to you as well, Hamiru-senpai. I swear, one day I will repay you for helping me out in so many ways. Shall we get going? Quite a lot’s happened today, but I have a feeling I’ll try harder than ever before starting tomorrow!
I’m glad to hear it.

After School → Evening

Wait, what!? We lost the whole day!? But we’re in the middle of a deadline!

We ended up saving her, but I don’t think she owes us or anything.

Well, she said she was okay. We’ve just got to keep moving forward on our own path.

Well, let’s at least make the most of this evening, I guess…

Are you loving kidding me!?

I’m concerned about Okumura too, but let’s sleep for tonight.

It’s just the decent thing to do! I just wanted to thank you for today.

No! Please, it’s fine! I’ll have my phone fixed as soon as possible. Please let Morgana-senpai know as well. Anyways, I hope you have a good night.

Yeah, we shouldn’t press the matter. Sooo, how’re we gonna break it to the others?

This is utter chaos.
The public dislike of Okumura has grown exponentially as well. How are you holding up, Haru.
We’ve been receiving anonymous threats almost every day now…
That’s scary…
But our security is tight, so it’s been OK so far.
I believe things will calm down once we finish this, Haru.
And what about us? Are we gonna get all popular and poo poo again?
Let us not concern ourselves with that for now. I only pray that things calm down.

We could do more harm than help if we brought it up at this point—maybe we’ll just stay quiet about Yoshizawa for now.

That seems like a flimsy justification to avoid telling the rest of the team about this! The writers here are really desperate to avoid ripping massive holes in the story with this new character’s presence, which I can respect, sure—but they’re also doing just about the least possible work to integrate this new material, ha.

Anon: Evil needs to die!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Regarding my father… there isn’t anything different about him yet. I can’t help but think about a lot of things when I’m just waiting. Things like, did it go well…?

Thanks. I know that it’s no use being anxious. *giggle* I guess I’ll relax and look after the flowerbed. I haven’t been able to for a while.

(Slightly-Appalled Guy) C’mon, they aren’t gonna murder him. Besides, I’m pretty sure the principal killed himself.
No way, that was the Phantom Thieves sending a message! “Wake up people. It’s time to atone!” Or something like that. I’d kill for that kind of power…

Early Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

(Doting Father) Yeah, I’m sure she did.
What if I never see her again…?
…I think I know who stole his heart.

We’re going to head to the library real quick. We have no need for a book, but I want to show something off.

Thank you for returning Cry of Cthulhu. Would you care to borrow another book? …These are all the books you can check out right now.

We can see that the Milady-relevant book has appeared now that Haru has officially joined, but Kasumi’s book is also here. That’s really all I wanted to show, though.

Now you’re just intentionally trying to piss me off by saying that, aren’t you?
…No idea what you mean.

Do you think you could maybe come with me to see her?

Thank you. It is reassuring to know you’ll be there with me. She’s waiting over at Big Bang Burger. Let’s go.

Makoto, why are we meeting there *now* of all times? You’re gonna ruin my street cred, I can’t have people seeing me patronizing that place.
I think it’s a little late for that. You take the Big Bang Challenge so frequently that half the photos on the wall are of you. They’re not flattering photographs, by the way. You’re extremely bloated in all of them.
I still haven’t been there since this whole firestorm started.
I’m impressed by your self-control.
No, have you already forgotten? I told you in Hawaii—I overdid it with the burgers and now I feel violently nauseous whenever I think about going back.
You mean “nauseated.”
*groan* I’ll go, just shut up.

Priestess Rank 8: Part 119

So, what did you want to talk about?

(Eiko) Um, well… I’ll just right come right out with it: I need cash, and I need it fast.

What!?

I’ll pay you back, honest! Tsukasa just got in some trouble at work and is desperate for money.
Trouble? This trouble wouldn’t be something like, say, dropping an expensive bottle of sake and needing to reimburse the club, would it?
Huh!? How did you know…?
I’ve played any Yakuza game, I am wise to this manner of chicanery. Still, I didn’t think I would hit it dead-on. How shamefully uninspired…

Okay, to be fair, the RGG Studio game that featured basically this exact scam in it was Lost Judgment, which didn’t come out until 2021, but the spirit is still extremely Scumbag From A Yakuza Substory. Normally I try to avoid having the characters make diegetic references to media released after this game is set, 2016, but I’ll make an exception this time.

I agree. He’s definitely lying.
No he’s not! I know you’re all weird about him being a host, but my Tsukasa is so gentle, and honest… He calls me his “princess”! I’m special to him!
Sounds smooth. Smooth enough to be rehearsed, in fact. When’s the last time he actually used your name?
What are you implying…? Don’t accuse Tsukasa of that stuff! You don’t know him! You have no evidence!
Did you even ask anyone at the club about this incident?
N-No, but Tsukasa told me not to talk to them about it! He’s got his pride to think about after all, and he can’t have his girlfriend pleading on his behalf! C’mon, Makoto. You’re the only one I can turn to here. All my other friends are busy with cram school and entrance exams. None of them care enough to help me… And I can’t go to my parents for this… I just need a little money, I swear…
Eiko, you need to break up with him. If this continues, he’s going to keep manipulating you with sweet words until he’s got you doing some suspicious part-time job.
Actually, he already helped me get a job. It’s not suspicious, though. I’m just serving drinks at a bar to help pay for that bottle. Everyone there’s really friendly. The only annoying part is that I have to get a *lot* of ice. So, so much ice. And we don’t use that much for the drinks… Well, whatever. I’ll probably just keep doing it after I graduate. Not like I’m going to college, right?

Eiko…!

Makoto, I know you’re upset, but I don’t think we’re getting anywhere with this. Sometimes, you just gotta let Wile E. Coyote run directly into that cliff face to remind him that he painted the tunnel entrance on there himself.
I’m not giving up! Eiko, you’re being manipulated!

...A smart person like you totally wouldn’t understand what it’s like. You’re just gonna go to a good college, work at a fancy company, and then what? At the end of the day, your life’s gonna be totally boring. I mean, is that seriously how you wanna live?
I… I’m not sure yet. But be that as it may, you should still stay as far away from him as you can.
…So you’re not gonna help me? Ugh, just forget it. I can make it up if I just let some customers take me out on dates after work.

Okay, for real? How are you this naïve, girl?
Wait, Eiko! I didn’t want to tell you this, but Tsukasa has been texting me constantly ever since we had that double date. He keeps asking about my living conditions and if me and my sister need help. Just today he asked if I’m happy with my boyfriend…
…Wait, poo poo, that’s me! Uhhh… Grr! How dare he!
Anyway, he’s not serious about you.
You’re wrong! He’s just so nice that that he worries about my friends for me… Wait, why were you texting him behind my back!?
…I’m sorry, what? You were the one who gave him my number! And I’ve mostly been ignoring his messages besides a polite “ok” or “hahaha” or maybe a “wrong number” if I’m feeling daring!
I can’t believe you’re trying to take Tsukasa for yourself! He’s all I have! You already have everything, with your grades and your looks and your cool boyfriend…
Wow, thanks! I really appreciate you saying so! That said, you’re probably the only person at our entire school who thinks I’m cool. Everyone else either doesn’t know me at all, or knows me too well for that.
Not the point! If you steal Tsukasa from me, I’ll never forgive you, Makoto! Ugh, this was a waste of time! Bye, I guess.

She said Tsukasa is all she has, huh…? Reminds me of those gangs in Shinjuku I told you about. She’s exactly the kind of girl they look for—lonely and depressed, with nowhere to vent… I never told you, but Eiko’s family is rich. Her talented younger brother seems to get all of the attention of her parents, though. That must be why she fell for Tsukasa, who treated her like she was special. Still, asking your girlfriend who is in high school for money is not how a boyfriend should act.

Eiko’s blessed to have both money and a family… yet she’s still trying to break free from them. She’s almost the exact opposite of me. ...But I guess in a sense, watching her now is almost like looking back at my past self. I was so blinded by my own convictions that I never stopped to consider other alternative viewpoints on the world. But… that’s not the right way to live. I want to show her that, just like you did for me.

Way to make this about you, Makoto.

I can sense a deep bond of trust from Makoto…

If you would, I’d appreciate you continuing to help me with this.
Uh, yeah, sure… I have a question. Well, a couple questions, actually.
Yes?
First: we’re sure Tsukasa is taking advantage of Eiko?
What, are you doubting this all of a sudden? Of course he must be.
No, I agree, that question was rhetorical. This one, only slightly less so: You speculated that Tsukasa has multiple girls earlier. How confident are you in that theory?
I obviously can’t say for certain, but the methodology certainly fits and he’s slick and practiced with these obvious lies. There’s no reason to rule it out, at least.
Yeah, okay, fair enough. My real question, then, would have to be: why, exactly, are we not just changing his heart?
Even if I refuse to let this go on, this is Eiko’s business. I’d feel bad stepping in and resolving it on her behalf. It’d be a breach of trust.
Ryuji said something similar about a problem he was having a while back, so I guess I get your logic, but I think you missed my point, which was that Tsukasa is almost certainly doing this to other girls. Even if Eiko catches wise, he’s gonna keep doing this.
Oh, hmm… I see. Well, we don’t know his full name, and given that he’s a host, “Tsukasa” might not even be his real name. We’d be better off solving this ourselves.
This feels like a thin justification to keep butting your nose in instead of just fixing the problem directly. …Oh, whatever, I don’t care. Let’s just get out of here before the burger smell in here does something nefarious to my constitution.

After School → Evening

Their influence has expanded beyond Japan—even foreign nations know about the Phantom Thieves. Some countries are even taking bets about what the Phantom Thieves will do next.
They even knew about us in Hawaii, right? We’ve gotten really famous.

Music: Layer Cake

We’ll be spending time with Iwai. We’re rapidly approaching the Rank 5 Guts stat gate, though, so we’ll need to max that out rather soon to continue this Confidant.

…I got a security escort task for you. This is somethin’ I can only entrust to you. Will you take care of it for me?

The person you’ll be escorting… is Kaoru. Get dinner with him at that diner in Shibuya. Now go. I gotta take care of some business with Tsuda. I’ll be there after I handle that. See ya soon.

Hanged Man Rank 6: Part 118

You know, it’s pretty rare for him to invite people out like this. He must see something in you, Hamiru-san. I doubt he’d ever actually admit it though…

…… By the way, has he ever said anything to you about me?
Oh yeah, he told me all about your top-secret dark past.
Huh…?
*chuckle*
Oh, ha, funny… No, that’s not what I mean… He hates me, right? He told you that, didn’t he? Oh god, he totally hates me! He thinks I’m a burden!
Whoa, slow down there, sport. You’re getting way ahead of yourself. He’s never said anything like that.
Sorry, it’s just that he’s been so stressed lately. I’ve heard him talk about me on the phone occasionally, but he won’t tell me what it’s about. We’re supposed to be a family, but he’s making me really anxious hiding stuff from me… I don’t know if he told you, but he’s not my real dad. He was a friend of my parents who took me in after they died in a car crash.
Oh, is that what he told you?
What?
N-Nothing!
I can’t remember a single thing about my birth parents… but I wonder if my dad even considers me part of his family.
I wouldn’t worry about it. He cares more than you realize.
You really think so? ……

Now that I think about it, um… have you ever seen his tattoo?

Tattoo? Well, I only know about the one tattoo, so unless he’s been holding out on me and he’s got some sick ink somewhere else, I have. It’s pretty hard to miss, kid.
I’m talking about the gecko on his neck.
Okay, thanks for clarifiying, because that tattoo is so prominent that I was confused that you thought I somehow hadn’t seen it.

The truth is, I have a really bad scar in the same spot from my parents’ car crash.

*squinting* Wait, no you don’t.
It’s fine right now, it only acts up when I choose Renegade actions. Anyway, I used to get picked on all the time for it, and my dad would always come home to me crying. He got that tattoo to make me feel better about it. He said it could be the new Iwai family crest. Apparently geckos symbolize protecting your home and family, too… …I had forgotten all about that. I guess maybe he does care…

You two seem like you’re hittin’ it off. What’re you talkin’ about?
We’ve just been talking about our love lives.

Well, aren’t you two a little pair of ladykillers?

No, when I said “love lives” I was actually referring to the popular franchise of idol anime. My actual love life is an unending hellscape and I would never subject a middle schooler to that level of dark energy.
You don’t seem like you should be having that much trouble finding someone who’s into you…
You would be correct, because I’m actually having the opposite problem.

Anyways, I can’t stay long. I’ve got errands I need to take care of. Figured it’d be nicer to at least drop by instead of tell you over the phone.
What errands? …Or can you not tell me?
What’s that s’posed to mean? It’s just work stuff?

Ain’t that right, assistant?
Yeah, sure, whatever. By the way, you’re paying for this meal.
Oh…? Sure, sounds great. I’ll just get out my walle—
That wasn’t a request. I already swiped it before I left. It’s only fair since you stuck me with the bill last time.
Ha! You little punk! Kaoru, order anything you want. It’ll be a going-away present for my assistant here.
I’m not going anywhere.
I wouldn’t be so sure about that.

By the way, I’m almost done with figurin’ out what happened with that deal we were talkin’ about.

Huh? What are you talking about?

I’m goin’ now to meet with the guy who set it all up. I’ll have to fill you in on the details some other time.

You know, being this cryptic in front of me is kind of a dick move…

Anyways, this is all thanks to you, kid. It’s real nice havin’ a reliable part-timer to help ‘round the shop.
It feels like my bond with Iwai is growing even deeper…

U-Um… You’re not getting yourself into anything dangerous, are you?

‘Course not. Well, I’m outta here. Kaoru, eat as much as you want. Also, when my assistant drops his guard you should steal back my wallet and book it.
CONSTANT VIGILANCE.

See you at home…
Kaoru and I ate dinner together…

With you coverin’ for me, I actually got some good business done, too. Looked like you and Kaoru really hit it off. Glad to see you two get along.

He likes you. I can tell. Hah, well. I figured I was just getting some security, but I guess that’s not all you’re good for. He’s hittin’ that age where he has to figure out a lot. Some of which I’m sure he won’t talk to me about. Well, we’ll talk again later. See you.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah I remembered the actual reason Cinderella doesn't gel with the gentleman thief motif right after I made that post, but I'd figured I'd wait until the next update to bring it up: Kasumi's not interested in being a Phantom Thief. She mentioned not being one way back during the intro scene, and had some horribly liberal things to say when Akechi brought them up.

Which I think is the most elegant way to add a character to a 100-hour story without having to rewrite and rerecord scenes around them. There's no actual contrivance that keeps her from meeting the gang or having to slip off-camera during animated cutscenes; she just doesn't want to be there. Which is mechanically annoying, the player obviously wants the new party member to play around with, but I think her general absence from the main plot makes sense, writing-wise.

She adds a nice contrast to the Phantom Thieves; they aren't just a rag tag gang of every persona user that comes into the vicinity of Joker, they are actually ideologically aligned and united by the mission. I appreciate that Morgana is the only one who gets insistent she should be one, Maaku gets plenty of dialogue options to indicate that he has no intention of pressing the issue.

Arist posted:

That seems like a flimsy justification to avoid telling the rest of the team about this! The writers here are really desperate to avoid ripping massive holes in the story with this new character’s presence, which I can respect, sure—but they’re also doing just about the least possible work to integrate this new material, ha.

nah man that's the obvious call; Joker has a deathly allergy to sharing any information that would call for plot reactivity. Like there's a bunch of minor stuff like what he's doing with other confidants and whether he's dating someone, but dogg doesn't even talk about Akechi even though he's clearly puzzled him out before the reveal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I do kind of wonder if Kasumi not joining up is a reaction to how people didn't like how Marie got implemented for Persona 4 Golden, where she is presented up front early on and the cast does interact with Marie a fair amount. Kasumi is, by contrast, someone Joker almost exclusively interacts with that is segregated into her own side story. I'm honestly trying to recall if anyone else from the party not named Joker interacts with Kasumi prior to this reveal. I want to say...the trash pickup in the park sequence from way earlier in the game?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Morgana's 'gently caress off to bed already' just made me remember how much I loved more free time in Royal, he was the most obnoxious thing in the entire loving base game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe the person who said she disagrees with the Phantom Thieves doesn't want to join the Phantom Thieves.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't believe the person who said she disagrees with the Phantom Thieves doesn't want to join the Phantom Thieves.

On the other hand, she has literal magic powers and just went "who cares, gotta gym harder, suck it nerd"

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What irritates me about this portion of the game is how quickly Joker and Morgana drop the topic of the new palace.

I know there's another palace heist going on but why not bring up 'hey, we saw this new freaky palace in Odaiba, maybe we should check it out later' to the others?

It's like Ryuji's stupidity for the sake of moving the plot forward infected them.

e: removed future stuff

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 11, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I would prefer we not discuss future new stuff even tagged, sorry

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Doesn't Lost Judgment just have a literally direct Persona 5 reference? We're getting a little circular here...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah them not talking about Yoshizawa is a little hamfisted, but not talking about a whole new Palace is even sillier.

I guess “no deadlines, no problems”?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

On the other hand, she has literal magic powers and just went "who cares, gotta gym harder, suck it nerd"

Combined with her completely painless and effortless awakening of Cendrillion, it gave off a serious “too cool for this poo poo” vibe. Sorry, sempai, that cognitive LARP of yours seems fun and easy to get into, but I have to focus on what really matters. Call me when you have problems with some random mooks though, I might spare some time to smash them for you.

Early Yoshizawa gives off serious fanfic self-insert character vibe. No character flaws, her only problem is that jealous people can’t stand she’s not as mediocre as them. Pretty early, the game starts treating her as the default love interest for the main character, which means she gets plenty of showtime other female characters don’t get. Then she butts in into the Phantom Thieves stuff, upstages pretty much everyone else including Joker, then leaves uninterested. I couldn’t stand her at this moment of the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah them not talking about Yoshizawa is a little hamfisted, but not talking about a whole new Palace is even sillier.

I guess “no deadlines, no problems”?

Right now they have the wrap up with Haru to worry about and then the rest of the plot happens and they have other poo poo to worry about. It is somewhat annoying but it does at least make some sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Kinda hard to get a unanimous vote to go after some palace ruler we don't even know who is or what crimes they need Phantom Thief brand Justice dispensed upon. All we know for sure right now is that they have an incredibly twisted world view and know Kasumi.