Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The problem with my 35XX was indeed a low battery (could have sworn it was charged; I guess my son sneaked a few games in!) Got Garlic installed and working fine...

...for everything except PS1. I've tried putting the right bios (scph5501.bin) in the bios folder and the PS1 ROMs folder, but no joy. Either I don't get a PS1 option at all, or the only thing it will let me load is the bios itself, not games. :argh:

Edit: oh, it's folder-level specific, I see - no subfolders. Got it.

Edit 2: kinda sucks that if a ROM has multiple .bin files, each one shows up as a separate item in the menu. Might have to find/make .chd files so it doesn't get unmanageable.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Payndz posted:

The problem with my 35XX was indeed a low battery (could have sworn it was charged; I guess my son sneaked a few games in!) Got Garlic installed and working fine...

...for everything except PS1. I've tried putting the right bios (scph5501.bin) in the bios folder and the PS1 ROMs folder, but no joy. Either I don't get a PS1 option at all, or the only thing it will let me load is the bios itself, not games. :argh:

That sounds to me like the games you're putting in the PS1 ROMs folder are not the right type/extension. Are they .iso, bin/cue, chd, or something else? You might want to check documentation for GarlicOS to see what format it expects to find your PS1 games in.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
You can use chd, pbp, bin/cue, img, mdf, toc, cbn, m3u, or ccd. Make sure they are in the folder labeled "PS" and the file extension must be lowercase. The bios just goes in the catch-all bios folder. If you have Game.CHD, for example, it won't work. Needs to be named Game.chd.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Bloodplay it again posted:

You can use chd, pbp, bin/cue, img, mdf, toc, cbn, m3u, or ccd. Make sure they are in the folder labeled "PS" and the file extension must be lowercase. The bios just goes in the catch-all bios folder. If you have game.CHD, for example, it won't work. Needs to be named game.chd.

Why is everything so loving uptight about this poo poo. There are predefined solutions for file extension parsing, is this just the most tedious of gatekeeping file janitors in charge of these projects?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Grassy Knowles posted:

Why is everything so loving uptight about this poo poo. There are predefined solutions for file extension parsing, is this just the most tedious of gatekeeping file janitors in charge of these projects?
I'm guessing it's just case-insensitive windows code being ported to case-sensitive linux-based systems. They might catch it eventually, but this is all work done by unpaid volunteers, not a major commercial product with hundreds of testers.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Grassy Knowles posted:

Not sure. This is for OnionOS (miyoo mini), but also applies to GarlicOS (rg35xx). It is a list of each supported system and lists supported extensions, directories, and sometimes quirks.

Edit: ^ probably this. Also why phantasy star online 2 runs like rear end on the Steam Deck, I believe.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Assepoester posted:

I'm guessing it's just case-insensitive windows code being ported to case-sensitive linux-based systems. They might catch it eventually, but this is all work done by unpaid volunteers, not a major commercial product with hundreds of testers.

Yeah that’s fair I’m associating these restrictions alongside those of plex and other media-management solutions and that’s not really a valid comparison because of the profit motive

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Odin 2's SOC is apparently a Snapdragon 870, that's not a small upgrade from what I can tell looking at the specs.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Okay this hella cool. Knock off lego pacman arcade set. Its $72 on aliexpress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMqWxpvtl8

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Okay this hella cool. Knock off lego pacman arcade set. Its $72 on aliexpress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEMqWxpvtl8

Got a link to the knock off?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $79.53 36%OFF | NEW 2651pcs Creative Pac Arcade Cabinet Compatible ICONS 10323 Building Blocks Assembly Bricks Toy for Children Christmas Gifts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLUFDjU

Search Jaki 10323 if the link is dead.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 2, 2023

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $79.53 36%OFF | NEW 2651pcs Creative Pac Arcade Cabinet Compatible ICONS 10323 Building Blocks Assembly Bricks Toy for Children Christmas Gifts
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLUFDjU

Search Jaki blocks arcade if the link is dead.
thank u stephenthinkpad

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ugh now I’m looking at Lego again these forums cost me so much more than 10 bucks.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If you're having a problem with a bin/cue game, open the cue up with a text editor and make sure it has the correct bin name in it....

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I installed onion and then none of my games will launch. They act like they’re going to and then they don’t. What the hell did I do wrong?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

otter posted:

I installed onion and then none of my games will launch. They act like they’re going to and then they don’t. What the hell did I do wrong?

I have a friend with this EXACT issue so if you find out lemme know

sad question
May 30, 2020

Did you install version that supports MM+?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

sad question posted:

Did you install version that supports MM+?

Yes, the 4.2 rc2 or whatever. I’ have a training this morning so I’ll be setting up a new sd card and trying again this morning.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Then the only other time I had that was when launching games for one of the systems that require a BIOS without one. But there's only a handful of those.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

And I had the bios files for sega cd and all that, but it wouldnt run snes.

So I put in my new 256gb card,
formatted it in fat 32,
put the onion files on,
put it in the mini plus
fired it up and installed - everything A-OK.
Put it back in the computer to drop the roms and bios files, and then it starts freaking out on me saying the sd card has a problem.
Now it won't format that card and everything is all gone to hell with it, but I think it has more to do with Parallels than it does anything else. I'll try breaking out a real windows pc later on and seeing if it will reformat the sd card because neither macos or my virtual windows 10 install will.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

otter posted:

And I had the bios files for sega cd and all that, but it wouldnt run snes.

So I put in my new 256gb card,
formatted it in fat 32,
put the onion files on,
put it in the mini plus
fired it up and installed - everything A-OK.
Put it back in the computer to drop the roms and bios files, and then it starts freaking out on me saying the sd card has a problem.
Now it won't format that card and everything is all gone to hell with it, but I think it has more to do with Parallels than it does anything else. I'll try breaking out a real windows pc later on and seeing if it will reformat the sd card because neither macos or my virtual windows 10 install will.

Mac should be able to use the disk partition tool to make a FAT32 drive.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

anything over 64 gb (maybe 32?) and macos is like "yeah fat32 is not a thing". So irritating. You have to use a 3rd party formatter.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Use the official sd card association tool for mac os to format

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Use the official sd card association tool for mac os to format

I always forget that is a thing.
I have it installed too however, I did it in on one of my windows laptops and every time I try to take that sd card back into macos to drop the files on it, it says theres a problem writing to the card with a gba file (bios folder maybe) and it locks up. I think I got a bad SD card from amazon. I just went back and used diskpart to raze it, reformatted it, and now im copying onion back onto it.
For science, I took my 512 gb card, wiped it and reinstalled onion and it works perfectly now.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

otter posted:

anything over 64 gb (maybe 32?) and macos is like "yeah fat32 is not a thing". So irritating. You have to use a 3rd party formatter.
:confused: I just used Disk Utility to FAT32-format two 128Gb cards for my RG35XX with no trouble.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Windows is the one that won’t let you do FAT32 above 32GB Mac has other problems like the invisible spotlight files that mess with formatting sometimes and gives some devices trouble unless you run the terminal commands to delete all of the ._ files

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Payndz posted:

:confused: I just used Disk Utility to FAT32-format two 128Gb cards for my RG35XX with no trouble.

which version of macos?
I'm still on Big Sur, so maybe it's something that got fixed after that. Every time I try to format a card it won't even allow fat32 as an option.

hatty posted:

Windows is the one that won’t let you do FAT32 above 32GB Mac has other problems like the invisible spotlight files that mess with formatting sometimes and gives some devices trouble unless you run the terminal commands to delete all of the ._ files

I recall having issues with the macos even identifying SD cards over a certain size but I can't recall (brain damage from a car wreck) what I was trying to get it to do back when I was doing that. Maybe format it for some other project. It's hazy in my brain.

For what it's worth, onion is installing on the 256gb card. Now, if it will work once i put it back into the windows pc thats the question. It kept throwing errors last time that there was something wrong with it even though disk check showed it was fine.

Double edit: So now that I burned it to the ground and redid it, it works. I copied all the roms and whatnot from the mac to the windows laptop via flash drive and dumped them on there, transferred it that way, no issues now.
When I did it all the first time on this 256gb card it freaked out and kept saying there were problems with my card and it would not run through first aid on the mac side, it just kept having problems.

I was about to say it's all good in the hood, but then I put the sd card back into the mac and it shows the bios folder (where the problems seem to be coming from) as the transparent, ethereal folder as if it's an incomplete transfer.
I put the flash drive back in to try copying the bios folder to that and it's seriously choking the system and it wants to take 26 minutes to do a 600mb file transfer which tells me something is super off with this bios folder (from the original miyoo mini plus sd card, per RGC's instructions)

otter fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 2, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hatty posted:

code:
dot_clean /Volumes/[diskname]

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
It’s not out of the ordinary for the bios files to take a long time to copy over since it’s a ton of small files and not just a few big ones. I’d just let it try and complete. Also are these error messages you’re seeing just the OS complaining about a corrupt SD card or something along those lines? That’s also normal for these things due to separate Linux partitions so you can just ignore them.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

CFox posted:

It’s not out of the ordinary for the bios files to take a long time to copy over since it’s a ton of small files and not just a few big ones. I’d just let it try and complete. Also are these error messages you’re seeing just the OS complaining about a corrupt SD card or something along those lines? That’s also normal for these things due to separate Linux partitions so you can just ignore them.

It was a repeated error that it couldn’t read or write to the area. After that it freezes up and then the Mac won’t detect the disk anymore. So I have to flatten it and start again when I get back home. It’s definitely odd.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Temu refund went through not even two days after I dropped it off at the local post office, so that's good.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the miyoo mini + made me want something a little bigger since i was hitting the outer triggers accidentally... so i put in an order for an analogue pocket.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
the handheld spending wheel continues to turn

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Got my Temu MM+ today and it works fine, but it seems to have stopped updating the rom list for each console? I'm adding new roms and they don't show up in the console's list of games. It worked fine at first. I'm using the latest OnionOS and I swapped out the microSD the console came with, I'm using a 32GB microSD that I've personally verified works and is legit. After I installed OnionOS Windows started giving me its "we found an error on your SD card" message but while having Windows do its scan seems to have stopped the error message it hasn't fixed the problem I'm actually having. How can I get the MM+ to recognize new games I'm putting on the microSD?

E: OK, pressing Select on the console allows me to refresh the game list manually, that solves the main problem. Now to figure out why the thing won't recognize .m3u files for multi-disc games.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 5, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Commander Keene posted:

Got my Temu MM+ today and it works fine, but it seems to have stopped updating the rom list for each console? I'm adding new roms and they don't show up in the console's list of games. It worked fine at first. I'm using the latest OnionOS and I swapped out the microSD the console came with, I'm using a 32GB microSD that I've personally verified works and is legit. After I installed OnionOS Windows started giving me its "we found an error on your SD card" message but while having Windows do its scan seems to have stopped the error message it hasn't fixed the problem I'm actually having. How can I get the MM+ to recognize new games I'm putting on the microSD?

E: OK, pressing Select on the console allows me to refresh the game list manually, that solves the main problem. Now to figure out why the thing won't recognize .m3u files for multi-disc games.

That happens to me every time I put the card in but on my 512gb card it seems fine aside from the error. With the 256 it continues to have issues and I took the card back to windows 10 and did a format, error checked it and no issues. Still won’t show up right on the Mac (shows up in disk utility for a partial second and blips away) but failed a formatting in windows with the same kind of error that MacOS gives so I’m sure it’s a bad card I have.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Commander Keene posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/um39zv/miyoo_mini_onion_os_show_only_m3u_files_for/i81t946/

maybe

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

OK it seems there's just an index file in each folder I need to delete every time I add roms to the folder, that will get the device to re-index the folder.

Sorry, I meant to actually launch the games. I haven't figured out how to get multi-disc games to actually launch, I've tried both converting them to a .pbp and using m3u playlists and both just load for a while then dump me back to the games list. I've tested the playlist with Duckstation and it'll launch the game properly, but when I copy that exact same playlist to the MM+ with the exact same folder structure nothing happens.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thinking about buying a Retroid 3+, but considering how things go it might be worth waiting two months for the next $150 model that is better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I don't think that's happening right now tbh given that Retroid have effectively rereleased the 3+ twice now with the metal edition and Flip. The only big power handheld even rumoured right now is the Odin 2 which isn't going to be $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I am definitely ready for that GBA SP clone to come out. I don’t even need it but I want it.