Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honestly I'm sort of seeing how car centric I can make this bit. Though I have since built a 1km cable car across the highway into the industrial district, so I figure it's kind of like paying infrastructure indulgences :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

Arglebargle III posted:

This game is unintentionally a great stimulator of communist apparatchiks, revolutionaries and thugs trying to operate a command economy with zero training.

look, if Stalin's ghost did not want me to construct weirdly oversized warehouses years in advance of figuring out what to store in them, he would not have possessed some Slovaks and forced them to make this game

e: my sketched-out logistics hub...thing...is now approximately ten times the area of the town it was initially supposed to be serving, which I haven't even started building yet

Pretty rad dad pad fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 2, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Garbage and maintenance is on stable! There's a lot cool with it.

But it's also time for me to share more Republic pictures. (And you all should share more too! Even if you don't think its 'good' or 'pretty' it can be super helpful to see new ideas about how you've approached things!)

I've expanded a lot since my last share... Kind of. It's still an early start with the slow (calendar) progression script mod, so I'm working with slow and inefficient trucks and trains, generally. It doesn't look super good so pulled back, but this is the entire Republic:

I didn't plan on doing my highway project as soon as I did, but as I had to crawl down the coast, I ended up deciding to build it sooner than later. I started with just one lane and used that to move things from the border, but then I couldn't help finishing it. It didn't slow me down too much... Well it sort of did, but I like it a lot. The distance savings are great for the bay bridges, less so for the highway itself. I initially laid it out much more straight, but it looked like poo poo. At some point in the distant future I might straighten it out a little more - I've stared at it enough to find a better path... But ultimately it still has to track the coast to be aesthetically pleasing.

The border area: Basically all depots and the train distro center that imports resources for cities. It's very convenient in realistic to stage things close to the border and then send it out to the rest of the Republic.

From the border, to the center. Again, could do with some straightening.

The first big city I shared before. There's an exit just right and left of the picture, but trucks can easily travel from the border over this other bridge. Not a lot is new here, and there's still some parts I need to clean up. The boat dock and various construction industries just right and below it are pretty haphazard, but they're serviceable for now.

The first new area I haven't shared yet! Continuing down the main highway, we've got the construction depots on the hill there. In the center-ish is a depot for construction and other non-town resources (Chemicals, mech/elec parts, etc.) Then you can see the edges of the next town which is significantly bigger than the first. The heating plant is on the coast there - just a nice "Hey, this spot is a perfect distance and size to fit the infrastructure" so long as I ran the conveyors from the coal train over the highway.

This is my new city! It's one of the few times I've tried to maintain the "Old City" houses and cathedral, though I did smash a *ton* of single family homes. There's still an absolute ton of space to fill out here, and even the valleys to the north and east are going to end up with some small industries and things - probably recycling. The main feed for this town, though, is...

The refinery. I feel like so many of my screenshots are this same refinery, essentially, but I often try to get the refinery early so I don't have to cheat money. I managed to finish the critical pieces of this and buy some ships for export just before I ran out of runway on taking loans.

You might have been like, "What the gently caress is going on with the oil field and that bridge poo poo" and you'd be right. I am only just getting around to the other side of what will be the canal and the oil field is part of all that. The oil field is all what I'll call 'reclaimed' land - there is a mod that adds an oil rig, but with waste and maintenance I don't know if its a sustainable building, and honestly it looks pretty silly sitting 150m off the shore. Instead I've filled it in and am slowly working to build it up into what'll be a port area and eventually the canal. I had to terraform the entrance to it to be able to place the highway and rail bridges across it, like you can see. (I was very careful to make sure that the bridge and canal roughly support the New Panamax size, even if that's ahistorical.)

I'm very happy with this Republic compared to many I've shared! It's late 1945 and with the slow calendar mod I actually feel "on pace" for what I'd like to be doing. I just sort of hit the area where I can really spread to every corner of the Republic. I think by 1950 I'll have connected all the border connections and will really be cooking.

Here's some fun night shots because they look great.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Pretty rad dad pad posted:

look, if Stalin's ghost did not want me to construct weirdly oversized warehouses years in advance of figuring out what to store in them, he would not have possessed some Slovaks and forced them to make this game

e: my sketched-out logistics hub...thing...is now approximately ten times the area of the town it was initially supposed to be serving, which I haven't even started building yet

Trains take up a lot of space, people less so.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

But it's also time for me to share more Republic pictures. (And you all should share more too! Even if you don't think its 'good' or 'pretty' it can be super helpful to see new ideas about how you've approached things!)
I'm waiting until the actual 1.0 to play again, since I can see myself getting burnt out

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really wonder if it’s possible to make a sort of modded “block/district services” station that functions as a substation for heat, water, sewer, and power. I’m increasingly sick of placing all 4.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Water/Sewage especially, I get why they're separate, water uses pressure, sewage has to go downhill, but it would be nice if I could just run the water lines next to the sewage lines and use the same hookups.

Heat isn't so bad because it has a bigger radius and you also need to put it near the station, but the others for the most part there's no reason why you can't put all of them to the same substation most of the time.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It’s maybe just the way I build my towns, it’s just something I would benefit from. I end up with weird parks that would just be buzzing substations and a stinky manhole cover. I’m sure I could make them look better by just distributing them by themselves but I tend to build one group for every block even though they wildly overlap. It’s overkill but ultimately it’s just a little extra steel/prefabs that’s set and forget and then I don’t have to ever worry about capacity except for at the “source” of whichever resource for the town.

Which, I finally started to explore the edges of water infrastructure instead of way over building and… man. They really need to communicate some things. A small water pump can both intake and output a single large water pipe. What it can’t do, though, is actually put the max flow through that large water pipe. The large pump appears to be the same pump but with 3x in and 3x out, but even with just 1-in 1-out of large pipes, it can actually flow the max of the pipe. It does show a larger max MW consumption, but it sort of implies it’s maybe the same per “line”, just supportive of 3 inputs and outputs.

Nothing immediately tells you why your large pipe isn’t sending more water when it’s limited by the small pump. It’s unclear whether the system just isn’t demanding more of the pump, or if the pump is maxing out. I suppose I could have been paying attention to the MW usage of the pump when it’s working, but that feels like a bad way to communicate it. I appreciate the game for poo poo like “pumps use a realistic power draw depending on what they’re pumping” and that you *can* figure out the problem that way - but at the game’s chosen layer they should just be explaining to me that I need the big pump for big pipes without me doing engineering problem solving to figure it out.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I mostly haven't been sharing because my post update republic hasn't been working out very well. Really wish there was a global toggle to keep citizens from going to work at construction sites that have no materials present and nothing en route. Normally the allocation of workers is fine (much better than I can do manually assigning workplaces), but anywhere under construction grinds to a halt as everyone who would normally be taking buses to factories decides that sitting on an empty lot waiting for gravel for groundworks is the best idea there ever was.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I would be okay if you could just set default like 5 workers which I almost always do manually because of this. It would also be great if people could walk to pipes and roads, since you can set non-CO workers limit there as well but no one ever goes there if not brought in by CO bus

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Except for some real slim set ups or some long term mega project needs you should almost never be using the same bus stop for productive factories and construction. Even if you're using the same residential buildings, you can better ratio who is doing what by having two bus stops and setting up some manual allocations of the res buildings to the bus stops and then you're never using more than ex. 25% of the local pop for construction while there's factorying to do.

With this calculus the guys sitting at sites doing nothing are a necessary utilization hit to only the construction industry that can be improved by better constructions delivery infrastructure when needed.

E. An alternative overflow approach that can be taken for more mature cities is you can have an extra transfer bus stop at the end of the line after all factories have had a chance to be staffed. They'll get off here and get picked up for construction only if every productive building is already full.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zedprime posted:

Except for some real slim set ups or some long term mega project needs you should almost never be using the same bus stop for productive factories and construction. Even if you're using the same residential buildings, you can better ratio who is doing what by having two bus stops and setting up some manual allocations of the res buildings to the bus stops and then you're never using more than ex. 25% of the local pop for construction while there's factorying to do.

With this calculus the guys sitting at sites doing nothing are a necessary utilization hit to only the construction industry that can be improved by better constructions delivery infrastructure when needed.

E. An alternative overflow approach that can be taken for more mature cities is you can have an extra transfer bus stop at the end of the line after all factories have had a chance to be staffed. They'll get off here and get picked up for construction only if every productive building is already full.

Not what I meant. I have a bus stop in the residential area of my city. I set up plans for a new set of residential buildings within walking distance. Now nobody goes to the bus stop at all, because they're all prioritizing the immediately available job of "sit in an empty lot" over "take the bus to actual work", so the bus line can't pick anyone up.
I'll have to see what I can do about limiting workers next time I play. If it's a working option it sure isn't documented well, and as mentioned should let you adjust the defaults.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SkyeAuroline posted:

Not what I meant. I have a bus stop in the residential area of my city. I set up plans for a new set of residential buildings within walking distance. Now nobody goes to the bus stop at all, because they're all prioritizing the immediately available job of "sit in an empty lot" over "take the bus to actual work", so the bus line can't pick anyone up.
I'll have to see what I can do about limiting workers next time I play. If it's a working option it sure isn't documented well, and as mentioned should let you adjust the defaults.
They split equally between bus stops and work destinations in range so you shouldn't be getting noone at the bus stop unless you have a really big construction project which you can limit in a number of administrative ways, primary of which is not starting construction on all of them.

The constructions themselves have a limit on walking in. I forget but I think there is some arcane UI fuckery ornoptoons to reset the default and default to 0 from popular request that people often only want workers coming on the bus.

The nuclear administrative approach is hard assign your res buildings to bus stops.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can put no pedestrian signs around the work site to stop people from walking in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

commando in tophat posted:

I would be okay if you could just set default like 5 workers which I almost always do manually because of this. It would also be great if people could walk to pipes and roads, since you can set non-CO workers limit there as well but no one ever goes there if not brought in by CO bus

on today's episode of "things you probably didn't realise you could do because it's hidden in the UI"

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

on today's episode of "things you probably didn't realise you could do because it's hidden in the UI"

I'll be damned.
Hopefully 1.0 is the "actually document all the things we implemented properly" update.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

:worship:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pretty sure that's part of the latest update

still a goddamn lifesaver

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

double nine posted:

pretty sure that's part of the latest update

still a goddamn lifesaver

I think that's been there quite a while. It used to be that it would save whatever value you specified in the last building site you modified, and use that for all future buildings until you changed it again. I assume when they took that out they put the value in there instead, and I think that was pre water and sewage.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

if that's true then I'm blinder dan blind, which is v plausible.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really wish that it would let workers walk to a few of the sites that it doesn’t currently support. My current “meta” for constructing a new area is to limit an old industry rnough to provide a construction workforce to the new town, get that up and running, and then seed the new town and let it construct itself before then moving out to the surrounding/supporting industries.

It doesn’t matter *that* much but it would be nice if they didn’t need that extra bus ride to work on a pipe and stuff, because otherwise it’s super convenient to just let people walk to construction sites in town and build it up.

E: oh like you said

commando in tophat posted:

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 4, 2023

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Is there a way to turn off heating for individual buildings? Just had a whole turn freeze because I built one apartment too many.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

The one thing I struggle with in this game is when I want to go big. The current system seems to focus you towards a very specific size town and then give you diminishing returns as you get bigger and suddenly you're just spamming kindergartens and grocery stores everywhere because citizens have reached critical density.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sex Robot posted:

The one thing I struggle with in this game is when I want to go big. The current system seems to focus you towards a very specific size town and then give you diminishing returns as you get bigger and suddenly you're just spamming kindergartens and grocery stores everywhere because citizens have reached critical density.

Mods help a little bit, but yeah. It does get weird to support a really big metro, especially considering how much easier it is to really compartmentalize transit to workplaces with smaller cities.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arven posted:

Is there a way to turn off heating for individual buildings? Just had a whole turn freeze because I built one apartment too many.

I'm not sure how much it is a conscious effort, but it seems to encourage the concept of the fully planned city, and doesn't have as much Importance on the network effect as real life does. They want you to build pre planned residential districts to support specific industries, where all of the workforce and all of the things it needs can be precisely planned out ahead of time. Having young people who are stuck at home for lack of a place to live is actually a good mechanic even if it's more of a happy accident; the additional strain on your city resources will start to tax the carefully planned logistics network for it, so you should start looking for a place to shove them that lets you get back to a nice amount of people.

Where should they go? :shrug: worst case they just gently caress off to West Germany or whatever.

It's interesting how, when you have an existing population pre-seeded, you're given the choice to be like Nicolae Ceaușescu and move all of the people from the tiny villages in the middle of nowhere to the apartment block you just built, since it's significantly easier to not only deal with logistically, but to marshall them into work at the local brick plant. While you can potentially let the villages remain, you still have to deal with providing them with all of the convenience of modern life, but they're too spread out for everything to be walkable, and too few for it to even be worthwhile. You are specifically insulated from any negative effects of treating your people like literal human resources, and there's no unhappiness from being uprooted from where they've lived their whole lives.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 5, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Funny enough there is actually a game mechanic which is a happiness hit to being forcibly moved, but I don’t think it explicitly applies to being moved from a rural single family home to an apartment block, only between your built blocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man the loving garbage mechanic is a right pain in the rear end to engage with if you want to set up recycling.

I'm wondering if it might be a use case for forklifts, but just the amount of different storages you need for all the different resources and processing facilities and trying to daisy chain them together, it's a nightmare, especially when they use loads of different types of transport too.

And then at the end you still have half a dozen different products you need to set up export and overflow DOs for, really emphasising the limitation that DOs can't set conditional behaviours, and really not helped by the fact that you have "mixed waste" that is actually lots of different products but you need to filter it through different stages to separate out the stuff, but the game has no concept of "mixed waste that has been screened for metal" etc.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 5, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah I’m just setting up my first recycling center and it’s going to be interesting. I’m doing zero sort at cities, so I’ll just truck mixed right to the separation plant and go from there… but we’ll see if I even have it set up right.

I thought about forklifts too, but I don’t think they can haul trash? Maybe they can? The post earlier explaining how trash separation works makes me think that forklifts would break the generation of appropriate sorted products but I don’t know, maybe I misunderstood.

I’ll report back when I finally get the facility running.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would say you probably do want to do separation at the collection point if possible, because doing it after the fact is a pain in the rear end and it's not really much more logistics? Your technical offices all have the ability to deliver the different garbage types, so you can just assign them to dump the odd bits of separated trash into the right locations, and it saves throughput on your waste separation plants.

Mostly I just don't really think most garbage needs to be separated? It's mostly biological and a bit of plastic waste, the biological is useful for making fertilizer but you can't separate that after the fact anyway, only at the point of collection.

Metal scrap is only really generated by specific industries like scrapyards, so it's more a case of putting a metal separator specifically on them. But there's nothing worth recovering from the rest of the trash, so just throw it all in an incinerator or ship it out.

Oh and I guess maybe keep construction waste out of the main flow too, because it doesn't burn and will balloon your ash volume. You can presumably post-sort the ash if you want to remove metal and construction waste that gets through the furnace, might be better to do it that way round honestly?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 5, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My thought was basically that I would have one central processor for the Republic and I wasn’t interested in trying to run separate trains or lots of trucks to carry pre-separated garbage. I figured I would do it not unlike food/clothing in reverse: truck stuff to a local dump that’s train connected, train all the mixed waste to the main processor. This wouldn’t work for bio (needing to be pre sorted) and hazardous, but I wasn’t concerned with bio at the moment and hazardous is in small enough amounts I figured I could just cover it with a truck army. With the central processing you could dump basically any mixed waste and filter out everything useful, then burn the rest.

You’re right, though, on pretty much all counts and I quickly learned the same things you said once I got it running. Municipal waste is basically all worthless and basically 90% is just uselessly passed through the general sorter for the smallest scraps of plastic and metal(? I think - I’m not sure if my reclaimed metal came from that or not.) Setting up a big separation and recycling center doesn’t seem like the most efficient way considering things like metal and construction scrap are fairly easy to identify and separate without the general separator.

I mean my set up is still nice, just overkill. Anything that gets put in the separator’s dump gets 100% dealt with to either reprocessed goods or ash, so I don’t have any garbage export at all now, and there’s enough capacity I doubt I’d ever have need to expand it other than maybe needing more ash dumps.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Here's the setup. The dump and scrapyard at bottom right are the "start" other than hazardous that needs to be trucked over from the processing on the far left across from the incinerator.

Like I said, all works, and maybe helps someone sort of think about how to lay out somethinglike this, but definitely heavily overkill.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to keep local collection but still ship your sorted crap across the map, I think the easiest way is to build a big transfer station and have your local collectors just dump poo poo in there, then use a DO to ship it from the transfer station to your central processing facility. That way you can ensure the local collectors stay local and your long distance hauling only uses full wagons.

The transfer station holds a lot of waste and you can set up bins for each type so it has a small footprint. Only issue I think is that it has limited throughput of vehicles, so you might need one per technical office. But that's just a couple of extra cheap, small buildings and a DO per settlement.

Dumps also cause mixed waste to slowly dissolve when stored in them, I think depending on the composition of the waste? Ash seems to go fairly quickly, biological waste actually doesn't but I think it slowly composts into fertilizer.

Either way it can be useful to have just a bunch of dumps, they tile really well with grid snapping and you can use a DO to just fill them all with crap and let it dissolve, you'll probably want that to disperse your incinerator ash at the end of the process.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 6, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a single death is a tragedy, two billion deaths is a statistic

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

talk about an explosive bowel movement

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm not personally psyched for these because I'm a self-goal-maker sandbox player at heart, but I think their 'campaigns' will be a good add to the game.

https://www.sovietrepublic.net/post/report-for-the-community-80

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hopefully good for onboarding people at least, as that's the biggest issue I have recommending the game to people.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
A good reason to keep on top of building maintenance is that if a building catches fire its condition rapidly degrades and if it hits 100% while your firefighters are there it collapses and destroys the fire trucks. 50% may be inadequate for automatic reconstruction.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 9, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not finished yet, but I'm working on a fairly big city.

Also I liked how the big clothing factory I put together came out, tucks in very neatly, couple of modded big clothing factories connected to a big fabric factory connected to one of the new big grain silos with integrated rail line. Currently I'm not feeding it much because the el train isn't running (because I haven't connected it to the underground stations in the capital) so I can't get the necessary volume of workers in, but it's operating in principle at least.

Also decided to put an aggregate export harbour because I have a giant gravel factory nearby that I can just shove onto a boat why not, and this will also be somewhat proximate to the coal mine and steelworks so I can ship out coal from here too.

That's the whole thing I have together so far, the main city needs services and inhabitants on the far side, and I also need to install an airport behind the mountain on the left there, it should be able to take a rail service transfer to get more tourists into the city center.

You can sort of see how the layout should look when it's finished, the right is more finished, the left is planned but I need more industry to fund everything, tourism is hella boom and bust now.

Looking at it I realise I have basically just built Brasilia, lmao.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 9, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I like it! I was slowly learning to leave a little bit more space and square things up a little more which makes your factory look nice without being cluttered. My current map does kind of cram me in though.

I am finally getting close to building big and I’m sort of dreading it. I have enough trouble keeping my smaller cities organized and uncongested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

looks amazing but how low is your framerate?