Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

What are they going to do now that they don't have parts of the state to sell off?

They sold Petro Canada for less than it made in revenue that year iirc.

i think we're down to selling naming rights to the few remaining institutions and maybe heavily branded jerseys for parliament

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Reading ads for audible at the campaign rally speech

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Winnipeg Police assign Major Crimes Unit to investigate the worst sort of crime... graffiti along their marathon route!

ACAB.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

What are they going to do now that they don't have parts of the state to sell off?

They sold Petro Canada for less than it made in revenue that year iirc.

A few times when i complained about this (or similar eg 407 highway, Calgary municipal parking lots) some galaxy brain said something like "but private business is better at making profits and is more efficient" and ... even if you accept that at face value HOW does that HELP US as Canadians that need these goods and services?!?!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Boy those '90s libs really were something

https://twitter.com/bowker_john/status/1686449162848550913?s=20

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Reading ads for audible at the campaign rally speech

this session of parliament is made possible by endy. sleep better on endy

Cold on a Cob posted:

A few times when i complained about this (or similar eg 407 highway, Calgary municipal parking lots) some galaxy brain said something like "but private business is better at making profits and is more efficient" and ... even if you accept that at face value HOW does that HELP US as Canadians that need these goods and services?!?!

it helps candians provide much needed revenue to these multinational enterprises

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cold on a Cob posted:

My wife literally gets giddy when we drive on the ETR (built at Ontarian's expense, immediately privatized). What the gently caress is up with westerners?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mister speaker, i would like to remind the honourable minister of immigration, refugees, and citizenship about the incredible deals available from airbnb on short term housing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

My wife literally gets giddy when we drive on the ETR (built at Ontarian's expense, immediately privatized). What the gently caress is up with westerners?

it's a usuriously expensive highway that works explicitly because access is so exclusionary. principles in action

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

it's a usuriously expensive highway that works explicitly because access is so exclusionary. principles in action

You're right. She acts like it's inherently better than the 401... rather than nobody drives on it because it's so expensive.

Also, we paid for it! It's not like the multinational corps that own it did any of the work.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

You're right. She acts like it's inherently better than the 401... rather than nobody drives on it because it's so expensive.

Also, we paid for it! It's not like the multinational corps that own it did any of the work.

Perfect example of socializing the costs and privatizing the profits

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

well it is six numbers higher, but then again we have the 427 and i don't think anyone would go to bat for that one

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Not only that, the public socializes all risk, so there is never any danger to private profits. Basically the last play in the book to push back against the tendency of the rate of profit to fall.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I guess that's right eh? If building the highway went over time or over budget, that would have still fallen on the public.

The cost of the OPP patrolling it and emergency vehicles responding to accidents on it are borne by the public as well? It's only snowplowing and maintenance they do themselves eh?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cold on a Cob posted:

nobody has ever really been able to tell me why they care about those things

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what are you talking about? profits are good!

that's why the government taking my money is bad, they can't turn a profit

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I guess that's right eh? If building the highway went over time or over budget, that would have still fallen on the public.

The cost of the OPP patrolling it and emergency vehicles responding to accidents on it are borne by the public as well? It's only snowplowing and maintenance they do themselves eh?

The public spends money so none of this stuff can fail. We pay to build it, maintain it, patrol it, all to circulate money within the private sector to keep the economy from stalling out.

There's a productivity crisis in the Canadian private sector, and it's because they just sit on giant reserves of cash and don't invest any of it into R&D or training or anything because why would you? That's not the point of a capitalist venture.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I had a coworker once complain that BC Hydro wasn’t profitable enough. Like… you want them to charge you more money and deliver worse services?

The capitalist brainwashing is just incredible.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

ARACHTION posted:

I had a coworker once complain that BC Hydro wasn’t profitable enough. Like… you want them to charge you more money and deliver worse services?

Number go up equals more better

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ARACHTION posted:

it's remarkable how much people here complain about bc hydro

we have some of the cheapest electricity in the world and in the world and in most of the province it'll be 100% clean energy

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

infernal machines posted:

well it is six numbers higher, but then again we have the 427 and i don't think anyone would go to bat for that one

Come now, of the 4XX highways, 427 is easily the least worst. The unofficial speed limit is 140 and there’s a Tesla and motorcycles lane.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The problem is there's no real solutions within the existing ideological framework at play among the current parties. I've heard ONDP critics talk about the failures of private-public partnerships, but the best you can do is take power and start the grueling process of rebuilding the government's ability to do and build things itself with the necessary expertise, supply chains, and labour power.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Glimpse posted:

Come now, of the 4XX highways, 427 is easily the least worst. The unofficial speed limit is 140 and there’s a Tesla and motorcycles lane.

okay, fine, this guy will go to bat for the 427

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

The problem is there's no real solutions within the existing ideological framework at play among the current parties. I've heard ONDP critics talk about the failures of private-public partnerships, but the best you can do is take power and start the grueling process of rebuilding the government's ability to do and build things itself with the necessary expertise, supply chains, and labour power.

yeah definitely. like along with everything I think representative democracy has been a resounding failure.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
alternatively, we don't have enough democracy. can't have real democracy in our politics if we don't have democracy in our workplaces.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dreylad posted:

alternatively, we don't have enough democracy. can't have real democracy in our politics if we don't have democracy in our workplaces.

exactly. representative democracy isn’t really democracy at all

quote:

In overturning royalty, the [French] Revolution proclaimed the sovereignty of the people, but by an inconsistency which was very natural at that time, it proclaimed, not a permanent sovereignty, but an intermittent one, to be exercised at certain intervals only, for the nomination of deputies supposed to represent the people. In reality, it copied its institutions from the representative government of England. The Revolution was drowned in blood, and nevertheless, representative government became the watchword of Europe. All Europe, with the exception of Russia, has tried it, under all possible forms, from government based on a property qualification to the direct government of the little Swiss republics. But, strange to say, just in proportion as we have approached nearer to the ideal of a representative government, elected by a perfectly free universal suffrage, in that same proportion have its essential vices become manifest to us, till we have clearly seen that this mode of government is radically defective. Is it not indeed absurd to take a certain number of men from out the mass, and to entrust them with the management of all public affairs, saying to them, “Attend to these matters, we exonerate ourselves from the task by laying it upon you: it is for you to make laws on all manner of subjects—armaments and mad dogs, observatories and chimneys, instruction and street-sweeping: arrange these things as you please and make laws about them, since you are the chosen ones whom the people has voted capable of doing everything!” It appears to me that if a thoughtful and honest man were offered such a post, he would answer somewhat in this fashion:

“You entrust me with a task which I am unable to fulfil. I am unacquainted with most of the questions upon which I shall be called on to legislate. I shall either have to work to some extent in the dark, which will not be to your advantage, or I shall appeal to you and summon meetings in which you will yourselves seek to come to an understanding on the questions at issue, in which case my office will be unnecessary. If you have formed an opinion and have formulated it, and if you are anxious to come to an understanding with others who have also formed an opinion on the same subject, then all you need do is to communicate with your neighbours and send a delegate to come to an understanding with other delegates on this specific question, but you will certainly reserve to yourselves the right of taking an ultimate decision; you will not entrust your delegate with the making of laws for you. This is how scientists and business men act each time that they have to come to an agreement.”

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

A world without P3 contracts...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
instead of blabbing on and on about the relationship between neoliberal ideology, profit, and "efficiency" I'm just going to make this post and then search my post history in this thread for the last time I wrote a big post about this

e: here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3847177&pagenumber=927&perpage=40#post521373592

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/toronto/2023/8/2/1_6503480.amp.html

honestly curious if there is any number of times that this is going to happen before there's any sort of investigation about why residential buildings under construction keep going up in flames overnight

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it's actually extremely normal for every half-built neighbourhood in southern ontario to all catch fire at the same time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a stress response

this is how nature deals with adverse market conditions

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
suburbia is the disease, nature is healing

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Forget it vyelkin, it's Burlington.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Glimpse posted:

Southbound or Northbound?

Northbound is chill and cool (barring the sudden stops every 3 kms) Southbound is scary and the 403 split is genuinely terrifying with the last minute folks trying to do last minute lane changes

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/he...ed6ce4.amp.html

Let us have freedom, Justin! The people demand heart problems and you won't let us have them!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Justin can't deal with issues, because his wife

she left him

https://twitter.com/CTVToronto/status/1686774538925645824?t=VMqoHr50KWQt7a3ypgzexQ&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I ask for very little in this world but please may it be because he cheated on her with Melania.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well this should be interesting :catstare:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
she threw something at his forehead eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005