Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MAMP is clunky poo poo, Valet is comically difficult to fix if it breaks.

I have PHP projects that need care and attention. Help me save my babies. What VM for macOS is simple and most importantly, super idiot proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Docker and something like this?

https://github.com/sprintcube/docker-compose-lamp

At least for a local dev environment. I used this docker compose file for a project that I had to migrate from PHP 5.4 (!) and it worked well.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

MAMP is clunky poo poo, Valet is comically difficult to fix if it breaks.

I have PHP projects that need care and attention. Help me save my babies. What VM for macOS is simple and most importantly, super idiot proof?
BeyondCode literally just released Laravel Herd (https://herd.laravel.com/) at Laracon last week, and despite the name, is good for ALL flavors of PHP-based sites. They also statically compile the PHP binary so it ends up with a bit of a performance boost too.

It runs in the system tray, allows you to run various versions of PHP simultaneously, and doesn't even need Homebrew; it just runs as a Menu Bar app and tells you when new versions of PHP have been released.

It's basically Valet without the Valet headaches.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

incredible! I've sorted out my valet issues but i'll keep that in mind for next time i'm a dumb bitch who breaks everything

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i have an insane question

I swear to god music sounds better from my M1 macbook pro than it does from my iphone 11. Using beats fit pro.

impossible to describe, it just sounds more full. i've switched back and forth with the same track, the difference is obvious. the equalizer is off on my phone, and i don't know of such a thing on my macbook

is there a setting or something somewhere i'm missing...??

Make sure Sound Check is off on the phone as well, it’s right below the EQ in settings. But also turn the volume down at first if it’s on and you turn it off, because music will sound louder after if that’s the issue.

Violator
May 15, 2003

nexxai posted:

BeyondCode literally just released Laravel Herd (https://herd.laravel.com/) at Laracon last week, and despite the name, is good for ALL flavors of PHP-based sites. They also statically compile the PHP binary so it ends up with a bit of a performance boost too.

It runs in the system tray, allows you to run various versions of PHP simultaneously, and doesn't even need Homebrew; it just runs as a Menu Bar app and tells you when new versions of PHP have been released.

It's basically Valet without the Valet headaches.

I'm excited to play with this when I get the chance. I use Laravel for a lot of projects but it's super nice it can do any PHP site.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

I'm excited to play with this when I get the chance. I use Laravel for a lot of projects but it's super nice it can do any PHP site.

well why not posted:

incredible! I've sorted out my valet issues but i'll keep that in mind for next time i'm a dumb bitch who breaks everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P3wLy49t2c&t=696s

I've linked to the part of Taylor's live demo of it in his keynote and it literally works as good as he describes it. And it imports your valet settings so you don't have to redo all of your configs if you decide to use it.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 28, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

hot

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
So I recently upgraded to Ventura, and, is there a reason why every single application wants to have microphone access?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

So I recently upgraded to Ventura, and, is there a reason why every single application wants to have microphone access?

Dictation support?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I recently got an M2 MBA and it's great especially coming from my 2015 MBP, but this is my first usae of Ventura. I'm trying to make the entire system font larger (I'm 57, my eyesight isn't what it used to be) and it seems like they've made everything granular when it comes to enlarging the font (such as the old command + route) but I need to make things such as the menu font larger. I know I can make desktop fonts bigger but it seems like Apple is saying "lower the screen resolution" as the solution. Is there another way that I'm missing?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I recently got an M2 MBA and it's great especially coming from my 2015 MBP, but this is my first usae of Ventura. I'm trying to make the entire system font larger (I'm 57, my eyesight isn't what it used to be) and it seems like they've made everything granular when it comes to enlarging the font (such as the old command + route) but I need to make things such as the menu font larger. I know I can make desktop fonts bigger but it seems like Apple is saying "lower the screen resolution" as the solution. Is there another way that I'm missing?

Have you messed around with Hover text? Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but may be helpful for you - you can select a hover font size and hold command so it displays it at a larger text size of whatever is under your cursor.

Otherwise, Apple has some support documentation on Making text larger and Zoom accessibility that may be useful.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 29, 2023

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
This won’t help today but Sonoma’s also supposed to have more controls for system text size without needing to change your whole-OS scaling factor.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

kefkafloyd posted:

This won’t help today but Sonoma’s also supposed to have more controls for system text size without needing to change your whole-OS scaling factor.

Eh, some additional control..

You also get to pick default size for hover text and some others..

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

Dictation support?

Yeah but I’m wondering why that’s coming into play when booting up Knights of the Old Republic. (Unless all Steam games do it by default.)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah but I’m wondering why that’s coming into play when booting up Knights of the Old Republic. (Unless all Steam games do it by default.)

steam would be asking for voice chat through steamworks and stuff i imagine

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hi, someone please tell me that trying to get Guacamole to connect to MacOS via the built in VNC server is a world of pain aind I should just stop because it won't work.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In the latest Sonoma beta, Apple has thoughtfully lifted some of its gorgeous AppleTV screensavers and shoved them into macOS. Hawaii is pretty nice..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

However, in what seems to be a faux pas that Hair Force One should be angry about, Ventura 13.5 brings a lot of bug / security fixes..

buuuut the Location Services prefpane no longer gives you access to what apps can have / can't have LS access. The +/- controls to toggle app by app are no longer there.

You can only toggle LS for certain System Services..

This means all apps potentially have unfettered access to your location whether you want it or not and there's no way to disallow it..

Hopefully Ventura 13.5.1 will fix this, unless this turns out to be another facet in Apple's clandestine plan to make the guys who create their Privacy ads look like poo poo.

(The current latest Seed 2 of the Sonoma Beta 4 doesn't have this omission, so perhaps it's just an innocent mistake.)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 1, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Back on Safari after a week or two with Arc. Lack of proper Keychain and saved debit card support was the last straw, along with it still guzzling a bit too much battery for my tastes.

What adblockers would people recommend for Safari? It's one of those things that's impossible to google because you get a load of machine-written listicles (which are also ironically slathered in ads).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

The Grumbles posted:

Back on Safari after a week or two with Arc. Lack of proper Keychain and saved debit card support was the last straw, along with it still guzzling a bit too much battery for my tastes.

What adblockers would people recommend for Safari? It's one of those things that's impossible to google because you get a load of machine-written listicles (which are also ironically slathered in ads).

Wipr is the best in my opinion, provided you’re happy to pay a nominal amount for one.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Wipr is the best in my opinion, provided you’re happy to pay a nominal amount for one.

I'll give it a go, thanks!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

1Blocker is the one I like, I just went ahead and paid whatever it was for lifetime.

Hockenheim
Oct 20, 2022

by VG
I’ve found a good balance using Safari for what I consider private browsing—shopping, things with accounts/need keychain support, etc. Then I have an arc profile for work, MS 365 suite which needs something chromium based to work anyway, and another for homelab admin webapp stuff which typically likes chromium better too.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Grumbles posted:

AdGuard for me, because you can import all your custom uBlock filters and set up new ones by selecting specific page elements to block

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Wipr is good for set it and forget it. 1blocker is good for customization.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Giving Wipr a go now. No complaints so far.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Binary Badger posted:

Eh, some additional control..

You also get to pick default size for hover text and some others..

Yeah Hover Text is way more distracting than anything for me. Ah well.

Also sucks to see apple is sticking with its guns on the incredibly lovely control panel. It makes things harder to find. :/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there an app for home inventory tracking (mainly for insurance) that doesn’t have a “mandatory” subscription?

I have Home Inventory on the App Store but don’t know if there’s any better. Would be nice if there was an iOS sync as well. I suppose it doesn’t have to be a Mac app, could also be a web app or similar.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Make a spreadsheet? Oh wow I think I just realized I made one during pandemic lockdown boredom containing all the tech I own and never updated it afterwards.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Apple Note with embedded pictures.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Notion?

DeusIgnis
Jan 17, 2010

I could never get into Notion. Every time I set it up, it just doesn’t work the way I wanted. Could never get legitimate notifications for tasks working right, or collaborations with the SO.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SLOSifl posted:

Is there a menu bar app or similar that can show you what, if any, badges are on your dock applications? I have to use Do not Disturb mode when sharing my screen but wouldn’t mind seeing an indicator so I can at least check on my second monitor sometimes.

I could move my dock to an inconvenient monitor but would rather use it where I always have, just hidden. I really rely on seeing an unread message badge to not accidentally ignore something important.

The notification center doesn’t really tell me anything passively.

few pages ago but

It's a fairly blunt solution with some rough edges but I had a similar need and Doll served very well.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fedule posted:

few pages ago but

It's a fairly blunt solution with some rough edges but I had a similar need and Doll served very well.
Wow, thank you, that looks exactly like what I was hoping for. I'll give it a shot.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Just take photos receipts of products you buy and save them in an iCloud Drive folder. Save a pdf of the manuals as well.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Don't know if this is a bug or a feature. In Safari I have saved passwords. 99% of them have my email as the login. However 1 of them has my wife's email. When I got the website to login, safari will not show the option to fill in my wife's email. It shows my own emails but not my wife's. If I manually enter my wife's email the page goes to a new page to enter password in which case safari does offer to autofill the password. How do I get safari to autofill emails that aren't mine but are in my keychain?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Time machine questions!!!

Using time machine over network on a nas: I know it's possible, but is it a good idea?
Most of the time when i'm using time machine, it's to recover a file that i accidentally deleted, not to restore an entire install. On a direct attached time machine drive, i can just navigate to the latest folder and it's got all my files in the same folder structure (eg /home/username/Desktop/filename.xlsx or something)

Is that still even a thing if I use time machine via network?

And, if i reinstall Mac OS, i usually open the time machine drive after installing, navigate to the appropriate folders (eg /home/Username/Documents) so i can pull out the data i care about. I don't care about restoring a whole rear end install. can i still do that? And can I still navigate through the time machine backups of an older computer if I buy a new mac / do a fresh install?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Idk about a lot of that but I use my Synology NAS as a Time Machine location and it works fine. You can do the same on most any NAS though Syn has done enough legwork to ensure it “just works” for the most part. I had things backing up to a Pi for a bit but it could get hinky at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is TM turned on by default on fresh installs of MacOS?