Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Tread lightly with sourcing to Meidas Touch, it's very much in the Any Day Now line of coverage; look for the underlying coverage it's mediating and ensure that it matches its claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Tragicomic posted:

How do you get that sense back?

I feel so jaded that I could see a headline saying 'Today starts the fifth year of T's sentence in super max' and I'd still be like 'oh, how's he gonna get out of this one?'

I mean the only thing he's actually wriggled his way out of since 2020 is the impeachment trial, and nobody thought that was going to succeed in the first place. He was found liable in the E. Jean Carroll case and he's been indicted in every investigation that announced anything.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Apparently he fell down a flight of stairs at some point like ten years ago and welp

I thought a guy tapped him on the shoulder too hard and that’s what did it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

yronic heroism posted:

I thought a guy tapped him on the shoulder too hard and that’s what did it.

drat, that sounds like a classic Maxine Waters hit job

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Hmm...

https://twitter.com/clearing_fog/status/1686506990946668544

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

What does "Hmm..." mean? What is your basis for relying on "ClearingTheFog"'s inference of the names of individual senators?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I believe he is hoping for goons to think of possibilities for co-conspirator 6 based on that snippet of the indictment.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

I believe he is hoping for goons to think of possibilities for co-conspirator 6 based on that snippet of the indictment.

This. Who does Giuliani know well that would have those numbers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

What is your basis for relying on "ClearingTheFog"'s inference of the names of individual senators? How the gently caress would we, or anyone, be able to identify what political consultant would "attempt to confirm" phone numbers for random Republican Senators? I can try to get Mike Lee's number, it takes literal seconds with google to get the contact info of a senator's chief of staff or scheduler, even as a layperson.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Aug 2, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I would bet at least even money that it’s Stone. The only reason I wouldn’t think it’s stone is #6 doesn’t seem involved in the worst of it and Stone probably would be.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

What is your basis for relying on "ClearingTheFog"'s inference of the names of individual senators?

We already know that Guiliani called those guys at that time. It was reported at the time.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Charlz Guybon posted:

We already know that Guiliani called those guys at that time. It was reported at the time.

Do you understand why "Hmm" and posting a random twitter account asking if the thing you're now asserting was reported before, isn't useful?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Do you understand why "Hmm" and posting a random twitter account asking if the thing you're now asserting was reported before, isn't useful?

I'm not hmming over Gulliani calling those guys, I'm hmming over who gave him the numbers. We're trying to figure out who co-conspirator 6 is.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Charlz Guybon posted:

I'm not hmming over Gulliani calling those guys, I'm hmming over who gave him the numbers. We're trying to figure out who co-conspirator 6 is.

It's going to be Ginni Thomas, who we will discover was behind the taser balls heart attack, and everything else that would be so nice if it were true that we're going to change reality to fit.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's actually Mike Lindell, who overplayed his hand with the cyberpillow conference.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Discendo Vox posted:

What is your basis for relying on "ClearingTheFog"'s inference of the names of individual senators? How the gently caress would we, or anyone, be able to identify what political consultant would "attempt to confirm" phone numbers for random Republican Senators? I can try to get Mike Lee's number, it takes literal seconds with google to get the contact info of a senator's chief of staff or scheduler, even as a layperson.

It's you, isn't it.

You're Co-Conspirator Number 6! Ha ha ha I knew it!!!

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

It's you, isn't it.

It's me, I'm three Co-Conspirator Number 6s stacked in a trenchcoat.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
There are other references to 6 in the document and some seemed more compelling than assisting with random phone calls. Sadly it's a crappy pdf and search isn't working. Anyway...

The indictment almost reads like the first chapter of the new American democracy textbook, and it probably should be required reading in every real high school government class that likes American, which obviously excludes Florida and some others. Examples of actions that could be charged as treason in some states, observations about frivolous lawsuits intended to establish a basis for another action (in one case a mere few minutes before a deadline), invoke images of feather-quilled scribes madly recording for posterity "how the country was nearly lost". Of course I'm happy to have history report only the findings of guilt, but it's not like history textbooks to deny themselves the allegations.

I particularly like the weaving of witnessed and transcribed events (facts of actions performed while holding office, ie not protected speech), with T routine Xits (ie maybe free speech, but some not protected, and all showing consistency of intent and mental awareness, keeping in mind that consistency is difficult for this crowd).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Technowrite posted:

Can the DOJ dangle a plea deal in front of Trump that basically says, "Drop out, never run for anything again, and this all goes away"?

They could, but have no reason to do so. This guy has never honored a deal in his life and is represented by a lawyer who ambulance chasers look down on.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Televisio Frankus posted:

It's me, I'm three Co-Conspirator Number 6s stacked in a trenchcoat.

we've got you now Co-Conspirator Number 18, you piece of poo poo

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
Plan B advocate Jason Miller had access to Trump campaign lists and was very negative on the 0/32 voting fraud lawsuits. Would be able to reach senators to confirm their cell numbers for Trump.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MrBuddyLee posted:

Plan B advocate Jason Miller had access to Trump campaign lists and was very negative on the 0/32 voting fraud lawsuits. Would be able to reach senators to confirm their cell numbers for Trump.

isn't he also listed separately as a "what the gently caress are you people insane" source?

Mercury_Storm posted:

It's actually Mike Lindell, who overplayed his hand with the cyberpillow conference.

he's unironically a leading candidate for that slot in the coup conspiracy and i'm not sure how i feel about that other than the periodic sensible chuckles

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's wild and very telling just how many people fit the broad strokes of individual 6

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I really, really hope it is Ginni Thomas.

The reason I think it actually might be is that they're clearly not shy about letting the others be identified, but co-conspirator number 6 is almost suspiciously vague. I can't believe that they'd hold back on details if it were Stone or Bannon or even some nobody apparatchik from the Trump DoJ or the GOP. So why the scarcity of detail on #6?

And then I remembered this:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/01/politics/ginni-thomas-overturn-2020-election-wisconsin/index.html

I'm well aware that I'm drifting close to conspiratorial thinking, but we know Thomas was involved in the fake elector bullshit, and I can absolutely see Smith deliberately not picking a fight with the wife of a sitting Justice of the SCOTUS while being happy to let the others get identified.

So... likely? I don't know, but she's certainly not an impossibility!

Hope springs eternal!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Technowrite posted:

Can the DOJ dangle a plea deal in front of Trump that basically says, "Drop out, never run for anything again, and this all goes away"?

The optics of this would be catastrophic, and easily one of the dumbest things any DOJ could possibly allow itself to do. It would giftwrap “the weaponisation of the DOJ” talking point to the chuds and they’d have actual meat on that bone for once.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's wild and very telling just how many people fit the broad strokes of individual 6

Slight typo, it wasn't conspirator #6. It was actually б, where б equals the set of all conspirators that fit the loose description given.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

There are other references to 6 in the document and some seemed more compelling than assisting with random phone calls. Sadly it's a crappy pdf and search isn't working. Anyway...
The big one is a phone conference on December 12 with the fake electors from Pennsylvania.
Unfortunately I can't find anything elsewhere about that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But we've known Patrick McGoohan is Number 6 for decades now?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Uh oh

Everyone knows that to get a fair trial a judge has to be nominated by the defendant's own political party. Also, all the jurors must have MAGA hats. Witch hunt!

BigglesSWE posted:

The optics of this would be catastrophic, and easily one of the dumbest things any DOJ could possibly allow itself to do. It would giftwrap “the weaponisation of the DOJ” talking point to the chuds and they’d have actual meat on that bone for once.

Agree that Smith shouldn't do that but MAGA's are going to scream this from the rooftops anyway

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 2, 2023

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m going out on left field and declaring that #6 is Jack Abramoff because that fucker is still poking around and in Trump world.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I'm pretty sure #6 was Patrick McGoohan

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Maybe it's this guy?

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1686708016228253696

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

#6 could be some right wing media personality.

Matches the profile of someone who could help with the phone numbers of like a few senators. I think Ginni would probably have access to everyone.

We also know that Alex Jones’ attorneys accidentally released his entire text message history and he asked “even the senator?”

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The best take I think I’ve seen on this indictment is that the Trump Administration was both incompetent clowns and sinister fascists.

The Mar-A-Lago documents is the Trump gang at its most clown shoes - showing off illegal documents while commenting about how illegal they are and that you can’t make them legal; attempting to destroy evidence by diverting a pool into a server room; a bathroom filled with nuclear secrets behind a shower curtain.

And this indictment is the Trump gang at its most sinister fascist- doing illegal things they knew were illegal and assuming the rest of the GOP would just roll over to support them; happily fantasizing about murdering civilians to prove their strength and power; using a rioting mob and the threat of violence to try and maintain that power.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

skeleton warrior posted:

The best take I think I’ve seen on this indictment is that the Trump Administration was both incompetent clowns and sinister fascists.

Even this framing kind of implies an illusory distinction; fascists have always been dumb as gently caress

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Tayter Swift posted:

It's you, isn't it.

If I wasn't so lazy, I would post a picture of M. Night Shalam.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There are some legitimately psychotic quotes in the indictment that are a little more concerning that the crazy Mr. Bean-esque stuff with flooding the server room at Mar-a-Lago and bragging about stealing on tape.

If your response to "there will be riots in every major city" is "that's what we have the insurrection act for" and trying to reassure people that either the rioters won't do anything serious or they will stand down pretty quickly if they do try something serious and get shot, so there is nothing to worry about, then you might be a fascist.

Even the other people who were 100% down with trying to steal the election via seizing voting machines and declaring them invalid started to get concerned that they were working with psychos when they suggested that and Trump said, "Okay, sounds like you got your bases covered. Great idea."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Failed Imagineer posted:

Even this framing kind of implies an illusory distinction; fascists have always been dumb as gently caress

Yup, There's No Such Thing as a Smart Fascist.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I like that the indictment is 45 pages long. That's some nice symmetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
45 Reasons Why... I'm Going To Jail

Summer blockbuster hit and thread title