Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wa27 posted:

I mean if you're trying to buy Sinéad O'Connor records after her death you're part of the problem (or you have the worst timing ever).

Fight the real enemy!

(The real enemy is ghouls taking advantage of someone dying for a quick buck.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dorium posted:

free aphex twin code

grabbed it. Thanks much!

Shlank
Feb 16, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

Got some codes from some recent vinyl so have at it

Owen, American Football, and Death Cab For Cutie

Took the Death Cab one. Thanks very much!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
This reminded me I had some codes sitting around I'd been meaning to post, assuming they're still good, and if anyone wants either some sad dad rock or what is on many days my favorite album of the 90s:

Or if anyone wants a reference to the TV edit of Lebowski:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Musician Death inflation news: Last week, it was possible to score an original vinyl copy of Sinéad O'Connor's The Lion And The Cobra for less than $30. Now you can't find one under $150.

I hate this hobby.

The "Prince" effect indeed.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

Since other people are posting I just remembered:

Thanks.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy

McCoy Pauley posted:

Or if anyone wants a reference to the TV edit of Lebowski:

Snagged, thanks!

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Remembered I've got some codes to post as well, I think they all work, hopefully?

Drive-By Truckers- Welcome To Club XIII

Jason Isbell- Southeastern

Jason Isbell, Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley- Live at the Shoals Theatre

Nikki Lane- All Or Nothin'

Elizabeth Cook- Aftermath

Eli 'Paperboy' Reed- Either 99 Cent Dreams or Down Every Road. Download and find out which!!!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Barry posted:

No price is too high for Let It Be

How do you say goodnight to... an ANSWERING MACHIIIIIIIIINE

I'm very surprised I don't get neighbor complaints.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Who else has the shame of records in the collection they haven't gotten around to listening to? Or is it just me? Since last week sometime I decided to make a concentrated effort to pull out the albums I haven't listened to or rarely put on. Not sure I've found any lost treasures in the collection yet, but I have unearthed a whole lotta of meh and why did I buy this type stuff. Currently listening to Electric Savage by Colosseum II and I'm just gonna have to accept that I'm not deep into prog rock/jazz fusion.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Turbinosamente posted:

Who else has the shame of records in the collection they haven't gotten around to listening to? Or is it just me? Since last week sometime I decided to make a concentrated effort to pull out the albums I haven't listened to or rarely put on. Not sure I've found any lost treasures in the collection yet, but I have unearthed a whole lotta of meh and why did I buy this type stuff. Currently listening to Electric Savage by Colosseum II and I'm just gonna have to accept that I'm not deep into prog rock/jazz fusion.

I have a stack of unlistened stuff that I leave off to the side and it's gotten kinda big but not unmanageable.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I feel a little better about it. I don't quite know how big my stack is because everything is filed properly on my shelves and I gloss over it looking for my regulars to put on. Hence the clean out project. Didn't quite have the dedication to listen to everything I own in alphabetical order which was a trendy thing to do during the pandemic apparently.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 4, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I don't put a record on my shelf unless I've listened to it. :hai: My "not yet listened to" stack has ~10 or so in it at the moment.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

If I'm being honest, probably more than half my collection has never actually touched my turntable.

Granted, most of my collection is stuff I've heard before and bought because I already liked the album, but there's definitely a couple of records I bought because it was funny or something that I haven't listened to yet. Off top my head I haven't listened to either of the Mort Garson records I have (Black Mass and The Unexplained) or the official Church of Satan Satanic Mass LP.

I'm planning to listen to a lot of records next week on my staycation

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

joylessdivision posted:

Off top my head I haven't listened to either of the Mort Garson records I have (Black Mass and The Unexplained) or the official Church of Satan Satanic Mass LP.

I'm planning to listen to a lot of records next week on my staycation

As long as I'm confessing, I am a huge Mort Garson fan and have both the occult albums and still haven't put them on either for whatever reason. Probably should do that after the current album: While you're Down There by Stray Dog. I also totally took a me day to chill and make a dent in the records.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://i.imgur.com/OhvznDD.mp4
my "to be listened" pile isnt too bad leafing through it real quickly.

Hate when i buy a record and feel ready to listen to it as soon as i get home, but then after going through the cleaning process and then getting distracted I lose the mood. That's what usually happens.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have 5 or 6 that I haven't listened to yet, most are only a few weeks after buying but I really need to get around to listening to the Rumours and Mm..Food that I got a few months ago.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have several that I've purchased and just put on my shelf... usually stuff that I'm familiar with, I saw it for a reasonable price and grabbed it but haven't felt the desire to throw on. Nothing wrong with it - listen to what you want to listen to, don't force yourself to listen to something just to get it over with.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm facing the fact that I overbought records when getting into collecting and bought too much for the hell of it. I own lots of poo poo that is fine to listen to, but I remember nothing about on top of the unplayed stack. On a lighter note I finally listened to the occult Garson records and now I will make the sad attempt to rank what I got:

1. Plantasia
2. Journey to the Moon and Beyond
3. Patchcord Productions
4. Zodiac Series
5. The Unexplained
6. Black Mass
7. Didn't You Hear

Really it's kinda whatever after the first two for me, I resisted the temptation to list everything else as number 3 with Didn't You Hear as number 4.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I was super late listening to Plantasia, so the first time I heard that song Nintendo kinda jacked for Zelda's Lullaby, I was like :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7JLXsZk-w

Also how did I just realize that his last name is Garson and not Garrison? :doh:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Turbinosamente posted:

I make a point of listening to every record when I get it to make sure there aren't any defects so that I can get an exchange if so. I've had to do that a few times.

I'm currently going through and making a point of listening to all of my records in alphabetical order. At 160 records, and given that I only listen for the most part when I'm working, it's been a few weeks and I'm still only to L. Lost Girls Menneskekollektivet is playing right now

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

I was super late listening to Plantasia, so the first time I heard that song Nintendo kinda jacked for Zelda's Lullaby, I was like :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7JLXsZk-w

Also how did I just realize that his last name is Garson and not Garrison? :doh:

That album has a special place in my heart. :3:

I may have shared here before but I made this a couple years ago for a friend who introduced me to embroidery.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Nihonniboku posted:

I make a point of listening to every record when I get it to make sure there aren't any defects so that I can get an exchange if so. I've had to do that a few times.

I'm currently going through and making a point of listening to all of my records in alphabetical order. At 160 records, and given that I only listen for the most part when I'm working, it's been a few weeks and I'm still only to L. Lost Girls Menneskekollektivet is playing right now

I can't remember if I've gotten super hosed by not listening to records immediately, I'll throw a record on if there is an obvious visual flaw like a warp or something, I usually open them and look at minimum. And yeah as I mentioned before I wanted to do the alphabetical listening, but plain old don't have the time for it, so the under appreciated it is with my faves interspersed as a treat.

CaptainBeefart posted:

That album has a special place in my heart. :3:

I may have shared here before but I made this a couple years ago for a friend who introduced me to embroidery.

Did I see this in the embroidery thread? Either way it's still awesome and well done. Never got the hang of embroidery beyond cross stitch so anything outside of little Xs on a grid is impressive to me. Nice shading on the leaves too!

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I have so much I haven't listened to. I really should buy less things impulsively.

In a non impulsive purchase, I pre-ordered the signed edition of the new Green Lung record.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Read After Burning posted:

I don't put a record on my shelf unless I've listened to it. :hai: My "not yet listened to" stack has ~10 or so in it at the moment.

Me, basically. Probably about 8 or 10lps at this point. Lots of my collection I've probably only listened to once as well.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

Did I see this in the embroidery thread? Either way it's still awesome and well done. Never got the hang of embroidery beyond cross stitch so anything outside of little Xs on a grid is impressive to me. Nice shading on the leaves too!

That's correct! I need to pick it up again, I've got a couple albums in mind I'd like to attempt.

Maybe I'll give cross stitch a shot, my mom did a lot of it when I was growing up so that could be fun to bond over with her. Thanks!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Who is outside my house telling me to stop buying records from the internet!? I will never stop buying records from the internet!

I literally ordered all 4 of the Silent Hill scores today from Mondo and a couple of Dead Kennedy records from Amazon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gonna be easier to listen to that backlog now that I can do it wherever the hell I want. This little dude rocks so hard, I'm in love.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Gonna be easier to listen to that backlog now that I can do it wherever the hell I want. This little dude rocks so hard, I'm in love.

Very strange, very cool.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

I have my parents' collection on top of my own. I don't feel I can part with them, but I have no desire to listen to Dad's James Taylor albums when I don't like Taylor's hits.

Nearly all of my records were bought cheaply, so I don't feel too badly about this $1 Village People album that's been sitting over here for six months.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

joylessdivision posted:

Who is outside my house telling me to stop buying records from the internet!? I will never stop buying records from the internet!

I literally ordered all 4 of the Silent Hill scores today from Mondo and a couple of Dead Kennedy records from Amazon.

I never played 4, but my favorites are 2 and 3, so I got those Silent Hill vinyls from Mondo too.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

I never played 4, but my favorites are 2 and 3, so I got those Silent Hill vinyls from Mondo too.

4 is a mess of a game.

Soundtrack however, real good.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Morso it's the wanting to clean the LP before playing but then going "nah I'll just do this tomorrow" and tomorrow turns into 2 years.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I bought it used so not sure if it'll still work but worth a try:

album is sex & food by unknown mortal orchestra

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I wouldn't call myself a vinyl collector per se, but I have a decent little library and I've been buying a lot more of it lately, especially some newer re-releases of stuff

What is the deal with new reprints getting made as a 2-disc set and then shipping with goddamn half the disc being empty play surface? If you didn't have enough music to fill four sides, why the gently caress did you make it two discs? Or better yet, why not make it 3 sides and etch some cool art on the D side? I have a couple that do that (namely Frances the Mute and Warpaint's self-titled album, although that one is not nearly as intricate)

I know flipping the disc is part of the vinyl experience but having to get up and flip it 3 times in 30 minutes is kinda bullshit when it feels like it could've just been one disc with a gatefold

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Just found a good one from my "Oh that's got a cool name/cover and it's $2, I'll try it out" buys and thought I'd share it

If you dig early 90s noisey alt-rock, have $2, and want an album that you can only hear by finding the record, I highly recommend it

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
official X-Files vinyl

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Heath posted:

I wouldn't call myself a vinyl collector per se, but I have a decent little library and I've been buying a lot more of it lately, especially some newer re-releases of stuff

What is the deal with new reprints getting made as a 2-disc set and then shipping with goddamn half the disc being empty play surface? If you didn't have enough music to fill four sides, why the gently caress did you make it two discs? Or better yet, why not make it 3 sides and etch some cool art on the D side? I have a couple that do that (namely Frances the Mute and Warpaint's self-titled album, although that one is not nearly as intricate)

I know flipping the disc is part of the vinyl experience but having to get up and flip it 3 times in 30 minutes is kinda bullshit when it feels like it could've just been one disc with a gatefold

Basically, it’s to allow it to sound better.

With vinyl, music doesn’t take up the same amount of space per minute. A louder passage with more bass will take up more space than a quiet passage of someone hitting some high keys on a piano. So longer cuts require you to lower the volume, reduce the bass, and use more limiting and compression to ensure that the signal doesn’t get too quiet.

Chances are those albums are kind of in an odd place. Too long to comfortably fit on one disc, two short to really need two. Most examples I can think of are albums that are like 48-55 minutes long. On one disc, you would have long sides, but on two discs, you would have short sides.

As to why they don’t leave the fourth side blank, I’m guessing it’s just more that people don’t really think about it.

You can also sell it at a higher price.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Got my new console, finally! I am a happy gal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Very sleek