Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Fecha posted:

Dude also has 12 thousand Patreon subs Jesus Christ I wouldn’t stop either

Also, new page I guess

Yeah, like gently caress, if I had the talent and work ethic to parley an inoffensive slice-of-life comic into a good living I'd be all over that poo poo.

gently caress epic stories and massive character arcs. Sometimes it's cool to just churn out tasty pap that people enjoy while collecting a paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Fecha posted:

Also, new page I guess

speaking of recognizing nerd thing

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh look, it's a katamari of suck.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

YaketySass posted:

speaking of recognizing nerd thing

I get that it's supposed to be an Akira explosion but there's no sense movement at all to the frames.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is S*P still going? I remember reading it before I found SA and getting the two names very confused.

Okay I just went and looked and it seems like it is still going. Author seems to be having a lot of health problems though.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Hey, what is the deal with Penny Arcade anyway??

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Speaking of lovely webcomics, did anyone ever read Something Positive? God, what a miserable comic. I'm sure it'd be too bigoted in hindsight to read anyway but I remember petering out around the time that the author said "lmao I baited you into thinking these two characters would be romantically involved but because they're based on me and a friend of mine they literally never will be, gottem, anyway here's this new character based on my irl girlfriend" because that just felt so unfathomably petty and spiteful to your readers.

I definitely still read it out of quiet habit. The early stuff would never hold up today, but in that way where people in their 20s are kind of cringe. The art was never the draw, the humor is basically "everyone is oh so witty and jaded and sarcastic in the exact same way, haha suffering is hilarious," and all of that gets very stale. But no one on the internet shits on DFW Texas quite like him, and the author is incredibly nice in person, so ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He was on the Behind the Bastards about Scott Adams, he seemed nice enough and when I stopped reading it, Something Positive had basically transitioned into a Slice-of-Life comic with less random humor and just characters with odd quirks, which isn't a bad thing. I preferred the Slice of Life humor over the lolrandom stuff anyways.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Questionable Content is funny because as people have said it's the most bland grey gruel of a webcomic ever but it still manages to annoy the poo poo out of me. Like there's robots, and they're supposed to be made of metal and strong and poo poo, but also you can gently caress them and their skin is warm and soft and they get horny about all the same stuff humans do? Pick a lane goddamnit, either they're flesh robots or they're metal robots! And don't loving have the human main characters date robots, it's dumb!!

Thank you for giving me the space to let this all out, now I can move forward in my life.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That hap is really fuckening now, ladies and gentlemen.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Zimmy Eat World

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JOHN SKELETON posted:

And don't loving have the human main characters date robots, it's dumb!!

I assume he never saw the propaganda film.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

It looks like The Disintegration of the Persistence of Coyote to me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think most AI are made of metal, and none of them are particuarly strong except for Bubbles, who was built as a weapon.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

lol that the climax of gunnerkrigg court is that one calvin and hobbes with the airplane and train crashing at the same time into the farmer's house with a gas leak.

"Coyote's eye twitches involuntarily."
"Can't we read something else?"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Look, if he just explodes the whole plot, then we don't have to worry about dangling threads.

Let him cook.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've only got two modes: sexually harassing a teenager and TOTAL APOCALYPSE

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Tiny Myers posted:

Emptyquote!
Speaking of lovely webcomics, did anyone ever read Something Positive? God, what a miserable comic. I'm sure it'd be too bigoted in hindsight to read anyway but I remember petering out around the time that the author said "lmao I baited you into thinking these two characters would be romantically involved but because they're based on me and a friend of mine they literally never will be, gottem, anyway here's this new character based on my irl girlfriend" because that just felt so unfathomably petty and spiteful to your readers.

I read it for a time in the early 2000s because I thought Being A Snarky rear end in a top hat was a personality trait, but I ultimately got bored with its miserablism and its inability to do anything interesting with its characters. I put it down when Davan decided to stay in the lovely life he had at home instead of moving away with his girlfriend at the time, and that was a perfect metaphor for the comic itself: Wallowing in its self-superior misery instead of doing anything different or interesting. It looks like some things have changed but the characters are ultimately the same. Randy Milholland is apparently a really nice guy who's supportive of other creators, and that's great! But there's just nothing that draws me into picking up S*P again.

Also I really cannot understand how some of these comics like S*P and Sluggy can keep the exact same art and writing styles for 20 years, it's like they're frozen in time forever.

The one comic I hope goes on forever and ever is Jerkcity, which is apparently now Bonequest since a Jamaican restaurant bought up their old domain name.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

RocketMermaid posted:

Randy Milholland is apparently a really nice guy who's supportive of other creators, and that's great! But there's just nothing that draws me into picking up S*P again.

Nothing about the man is more shocking to me than the fact that his body of work and professionalism somehow landed him the Popeye gig. And that rules, good for him.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Questionable Content is funny because as people have said it's the most bland grey gruel of a webcomic ever but it still manages to annoy the poo poo out of me. Like there's robots, and they're supposed to be made of metal and strong and poo poo, but also you can gently caress them and their skin is warm and soft and they get horny about all the same stuff humans do? Pick a lane goddamnit, either they're flesh robots or they're metal robots! And don't loving have the human main characters date robots, it's dumb!!

Thank you for giving me the space to let this all out, now I can move forward in my life.

gonna highlight this post in particular, but this is a general plea to many of the posters itt:

can we please have this thread be the GKC thread and not the general "complain about lovely webcomics thread" kthx

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

DontMockMySmock posted:

gonna highlight this post in particular, but this is a general plea to many of the posters itt:

can we please have this thread be the GKC thread and not the general "complain about lovely webcomics thread" kthx
I think it's hard for the topic of the thread not to wander sometimes when the comic itself is being particularly dull.

Which is pretty funny when you think about it. Like, just how far the comic has fallen. We're in the middle of "two of (what used to be) the most interesting characters in the comic are physically colliding, thus engulfing the landscape with a black hole of mutating scenery and unknowable consequences!". It should be the opposite of dull. This thread should be full of speculation. And yet nobody gives a poo poo because the author has done such a good job of ruining our interest in these characters and how much we care about anything that's happening to them.

We're all just so burnt out from this thing having absolutely no meaningful stakes and every "wait, maybe THIS thing is cool and good, even though the last things were incredibly disappointing and mediocre" fakeout where it almost seemed like something neat was happening for once. I'm curious to see what happens next! But in a sort of morbidly fascinated way, in the same way one watches a guy having a Twitter meltdown. I have no hopes left for a positive outcome. I am only expecting to see something really stupid happen, but like, hopefully stupid in a way that is creative and unexpected.

Current guess is Gamma being killed for pathos, but in a way that is somehow even dumber than Lana.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

the black sphere is going to selectively kill every girlfriend, wife, and crush.

Except Jones.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nettle Soup posted:

Is S*P still going? I remember reading it before I found SA and getting the two names very confused.

Okay I just went and looked and it seems like it is still going. Author seems to be having a lot of health problems though.

He also has another strip. You've probably never heard of it. Some sort of spinach-based Superman?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/comics/2022/06/03/popeye-strip-randy-milholland/

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yes, instead let's talk more about out favorite character in Gunnerkrigg: Jerrick, who aspires to the greatest of human achievement, being a nice normal boy

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Whomst among us

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yes, instead let's talk more about out favorite character in Gunnerkrigg: Jerrick, who aspires to the greatest of human achievement, being a nice normal boy

Loupshikage Jarik just wants to live a quiet life

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Does this count as on topic?

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2168

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this page reads way, waaaaaaay different now.

God drat it poo poo poo poo poo poo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

You know, I don't think we ever actually saw the seed that the Court was made with. So does this mean that Zimmy was the seed all along?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Establishing Shot 2x Combo

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
gotta be reminded that Annie is still here passively observing

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the author's comment below

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Is this comic about to bust out fusions? drat, it really did go full anime.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Zoup is making the Schwarzwelt from Strange Journey, but with trees. Schwarzwald

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Is this comic about to bust out fusions? drat, it really did go full anime.

there was kind of a whole thing about that already. twice

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

the author's comment below

While funny out of context, patron actually did gently caress up a shitton of subscriptions for many different accounts.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

Zoup is making the Schwarzwelt from Strange Journey, but with trees. Schwarzwald

What an incredible callback to the cherry tree.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Flavahbeast posted:

Man I wish that guy would show up, he was one of the best parts of Big O.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHChe6KY0DQ

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CodfishCartographer posted:

While funny out of context, patron actually did gently caress up a shitton of subscriptions for many different accounts.

patreon somehow managing to accidentally route their billing through ireland in a way that made the fraud detection of every bank in the world perk up is arguably a far more interesting topic of discussion than the third of what's probably going to be at least 5 consecutive establishing shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

patreon somehow managing to accidentally route their billing through ireland in a way that made the fraud detection of every bank in the world perk up is arguably a far more interesting topic of discussion than the third of what's probably going to be at least 5 consecutive establishing shots

Patreon swears that's not what happened, and I think due to the lack of any other explanation so far we can totally believe them.

(non-snarkily I think if that's what happened there would be a paper trail so long that saying "we haven't changed any billing information recently" would get you into DEEPER poo poo so they're probably right, but still I hope once they figure it out they come clean about what went down.)