Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
Nate is on to something here.. just imagine, for example, if a Tom Brady or a Michael Jordan type played soccer instead. They’d win every World Cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
but they already have the lebron james of soccer???

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Either that isn't wikipedia or goddamn their standards have fallen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ilmucche posted:

Either that isn't wikipedia or goddamn their standards have fallen.

it's wikipedia

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Please edit in something about triangles appearing then disappearing

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Nate Silver declared that Canada's NHL problems could be solved by putting a team in "The Sudbury-Thunder Bay Metropolitan Area" which is two small cities an eight-hour drive apart

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

Nate Silver declared that Canada's NHL problems could be solved by putting a team in "The Sudbury-Thunder Bay Metropolitan Area" which is two small cities an eight-hour drive apart

We’ve all watched Shoresy, the Blueberry Bulldogs would clean up in the NHL

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

lol no way

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

would that not be the closest set of habited locations in canada

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Don't forget, according to 538 MLS is already one of the top leagues in the world. Just not THE top. Yeah, sure, MLS's Philadelphia is 16 spots ahead of current Libertadores cup runner up Athletico Paranaense (who is also 5th in the Brazilian league and led their group in this edition of Libertadores). Mid table Atlanta united is for sure better than current 2nd place in Brasileirao Gremio. Every year I hope for MLS teams to join libertadores.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

Nate got fired from his own company for being a fraud

:cawg:

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Never forget

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
His hairline is the scouse boom bust cycle

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Total Meatlove posted:

His hairline is the scouse boom bust cycle

Lol holy poo poo

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I for one hope hendog enjoys his drive to saudi arabia

https://twitter.com/daveockop/status/1684561537971924992?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I'm the tiny fa cup

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

he just robbed the Liverpud trophy room something awful

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Which Barclays team does Nate Plastic root for

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

vyelkin posted:

lol no way

I may have not quite accurately gotten the gist but he did suggest Sudbury-Thunder Bay as a viable NHL market somehow: https://www.northernpolicy.ca/article/nhl-expansion-in-the-north-not-likely-a-rebuttal-to-the-idea-of-a-sudburythunder-bay-market-1747.asp

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
when you think about it, lake superior is just a giant ice rink

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

A closely contested match between NWSL All-Star and SL Benfica (basically), not much separating the two.

Many people have observed that teams like Japan and Spain (men and women) have a homogeneity problem: their players are too much alike, and lack a sort of diversity in profile that we see in teams like England and France.

I don’t think a lot of people realize that USA also has this problem. The players are mostly interchangeably fast-ish, tall-ish, lean-ish, white-ish, leggy-ish, etc. They are mostly good at the same sorts of things. (Obviously not exactly the same, and there are exceptions, but you can say the same about Japan.) This is especially acute in the frontline. I remember seeing them live against Germany in Red Bull Arena. It was very difficult to tell the front three from one another other: Morgan, Smith, Pugh (Swanson). You wonder why they don’t seem to have a plan B in attack? Well these players are all good at the same things: aggressive pressing, running the channels, crossing, arriving in the box. If you want a forward to do something else, there’s simply no one there.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Backdoor Delivery posted:

A closely contested match between NWSL All-Star and SL Benfica (basically), not much separating the two.

Many people have observed that teams like Japan and Spain (men and women) have a homogeneity problem: their players are too much alike, and lack a sort of diversity in profile that we see in teams like England and France.

I don’t think a lot of people realize that USA also has this problem. The players are mostly interchangeably fast-ish, tall-ish, lean-ish, white-ish, leggy-ish, etc. They are mostly good at the same sorts of things. (Obviously not exactly the same, and there are exceptions, but you can say the same about Japan.) This is especially acute in the frontline. I remember seeing them live against Germany in Red Bull Arena. It was very difficult to tell the front three from one another other: Morgan, Smith, Pugh (Swanson). You wonder why they don’t seem to have a plan B in attack? Well these players are all good at the same things: aggressive pressing, running the channels, crossing, arriving in the box. If you want a forward to do something else, there’s simply no one there.

Are you trying to use race science to explain bad tactics?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
forgot which thread I was in for a second and my brain was turning somersaults trying to figure out wtf was going on

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

cagliostr0 posted:

Are you trying to use race science to explain bad tactics?

No, but someone from the comment section on The Guardian's match report did.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Lmao the guardian is wild. Getting my big book of fast twitch muscle fibers out, but for women's football so I'm still a good person

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

vietnam lost because of their soviet model apparently

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
are there any leaked scripts for the cancelled ronay/liew football journo comedy. dont think I’ve ever felt so psychologically threatened by a media concept

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Shogi posted:

are there any leaked scripts for the cancelled ronay/liew football journo comedy. dont think I’ve ever felt so psychologically threatened by a media concept

it still feels like a fever dream to me that the two most tedious and humourless football journalists in existence were supposed to write a football comedy for netflix

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
all those twee Ronay-self-insert extended similes comparing erling haaland to a talking badger with a quarterstaff, lost in time, like clarity in writing. time to CiF

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
At least give Squires an animated series or something, ffs

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Nice shot Megan, the USA is going to Hell!!!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

vyelkin posted:

Nice shot Megan, the USA is going to Hell!!!

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

Weird to think we had four years of this and more every single day. Roll on 2024…

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/journ9ale/status/1688842624180912128?s=20

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe