Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Crazy to me that Arsenal have set up this Raya transfer as a smokescreen to deflect from Mbappe’s imminent arrival, but here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

The rules change didn't prevent you from signing contracts longer than 5 years, it prevents you from amortizing the cost over more than 5 years. So you can for example sign someone you got for an £80m fee to an 8 year contract but the ffp cost is going to be £16m per year for 5 years rather than £10m per year for 8.

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 2, 2023

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

This guy was Brighton's replacement option if Caicedo went to Chelsea, who Chelsea seem to have signed out of spite. Therefore I hope he turns out to be garbage, sorry Ugochukwu I'm sure you're a nice lad.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

sourdough posted:

Idgi, but I also thought getting ramsdale was stupid because leno was fine, so I'm plenty willing to give arteta the benefit of the doubt

Martinez is/was amazing too, there’s a real pattern here. Arsenal continue to fiddle around selling decent keepers off for no reason and still don’t have a deep enough squad to compete if their star outfield players Saka / Rice / Odegaard go down.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

wooger posted:

Martinez is/was amazing too, there’s a real pattern here. Arsenal continue to fiddle around selling decent keepers off for no reason and still don’t have a deep enough squad to compete if their star outfield players Saka / Rice / Odegaard go down.
I don’t think you actually watch Martinez play. He’s a very average keeper who’s amazing at penalties.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I don’t think you actually watch Martinez play. He’s a very average keeper who’s amazing at penalties.

Villa conceded three (3) more goals than Arsenal last season with the handicap of having Steven Gerrard as manager for a third of the season.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Anyone want to sign Ilan meslier for an eye watering fee since it seems like Leeds have given up on the poor lad. You can probably teach him to do all sorts

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vegetable posted:

He does great, is highly regarded by Villa fans and neutrals and won the World Cup. He was hardly a problem holding Arsenal back.

And yes he’s good at pens. Being reliable and consistent and communicating well with the defenders is everything.

Having the same keeper in place for years builds solidity in a team, through all the rotations in the outfield. Which ultra successful team randomly swaps its keeper every other year?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

wooger posted:

The backups for those players are Trossard, Partey, and ESR, which is pretty drat good for depth. I don’t think it’s very typical or realistic to expect a team to be more deep than that. Most teams just really can’t compete if all of their best players go injured for extended periods of time.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

wooger posted:

Having the same keeper in place for years builds solidity in a team, through all the rotations in the outfield. Which ultra successful team randomly swaps its keeper every other year?

If you actually understood the circumstances around why Martinez left the club, then you'd realize that keeping him would've literally been "randomly swapping the keeper every other year." He was never expected to get a chance at Arsenal and only played because Leno got hurt. The choice was to stick with the guy who had been bought to be the goalkeeper long term (Leno) or push him to the side in favor of Martinez, who had produced three months of good performances in 10 years at the club. And then Ramsdale was bought because Arteta came in and wanted a different style of goalkeeper.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I suppose "worse" is a different style.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I get why Arsenal didn't keep Martinez, but it doesn't look like a brilliant decision in hindsight.

As a Villa fan, I'm thankful they chose to do whatever this nonsense is instead.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
https://twitter.com/TMuk_news/status/1686708674973274114

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Edu’s got one last bad contract to get out of the door.

(Two if you count Cedric, which, eh)

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

martinez is not a better goalkeeper than ramsdale.

martinez and leno are about equal, so it makes sense to get £20m for one instead of nothing for the other. Neither could play how Arteta wanted anyway, so sell the sellable asset.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

martinez is not a better goalkeeper than ramsdale.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

So I guess Golden Glove winning keeper DeGea was the best keeper in the premiership last year?

Emi has been successful and is a good keeper, but doesn't suit the Arsenal style of play. Rams was a definite upgrade for Arse over Leno or Emi. And Raya is a marginal upgrade on Ramsdale which will hopefully push both of them on to be better keepers.

Plus it'll give us the best goalkeeper depth in the league. One less position where an apocalyptic I jury could totally destroy our season.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Arsenal will manage that just fine even if they had 10 world class keepers on the books

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
just watched one of those football nerd videos and it informed me that ramsdale is pretty average for a PL keeper and has a bad habit of falling apart under pressure while Raya is one of the best in the league, so it makes sense as an upgrade given Arteta is trying to really squeeze everything he can out of the margins to push for a title

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

just watched one of those football nerd videos and it informed me that ramsdale is pretty average for a PL keeper and has a bad habit of falling apart under pressure while Raya is one of the best in the league, so it makes sense as an upgrade given Arteta is trying to really squeeze everything he can out of the margins to push for a title

You're telling me the goalkeeper who has spent the bulk his career backstopping his teams to the dizzying heights of relegation is mentally weak? What a surprise.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
All things being equal, if everything had worked out nicely and Arsenal could have identified Martinez as being a competent keeper five years ago, I probably would have preferred to just stick with him rather than spending ~100m on Leno, Ramsdale, and now Raya. I don't remember whether he's actually good with his feet, but that's also a dumb strategy for foreign fancy dans.

For Raya, I think Masonity made a good point that lowering goals conceded is probably the easiest way for Arsenal to pick up points. I'm more of the opinion that Arsenal conceding goals was the result of the defense getting discombobulated when Saliba and Tomiyasu went down and Arsenal had to play Holding at cb and White on the right, but Timber should probably address that problem. I guess saving some points off of Ramsdale's gaffs will help.

The weakest position for Arsenal right now is probably at striker. Gabriel Jesus is fine, but Nketiah doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Finding someone who could contribute more goals or potentially just offer a different style of play from Jesus would be great, but actual good strikers who cost less than 100m are very tough to find these days so I'm not really holding my breath.

e: Also I did forget that it seemed like Ramsdale was falling apart at the end of last season.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

The weakest position for Arsenal right now is probably at striker. Gabriel Jesus is fine, but Nketiah doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Finding someone who could contribute more goals or potentially just offer a different style of play from Jesus would be great, but actual good strikers who cost less than 100m are very tough to find these days so I'm not really holding my breath.

Are you still selling Balogun while persisting with Nketiah? I'm very surprised that Arsenal still see anything in Nketiah other than possibly being unable to sell him due to that fat new contract he got last season for some reason.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
balogun is pretty good scorer, they could give him a try

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Sometimes managers buy from teams below them in the pyramid, or promote players from their academy and coach them into better players based on individual ceilings.

Even when they’re only a 75 on FIFA and everything.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

Are you still selling Balogun while persisting with Nketiah? I'm very surprised that Arsenal still see anything in Nketiah other than possibly being unable to sell him due to that fat new contract he got last season for some reason.

It seems that way and I don't really get it, either.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

The only justification I can see is that they can probably get a big fee for balogun and given his attitude seems to be he starts or nothing then they reasonably think he's a potential issue in the dressing room.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

No one wants to sign Nketiah, and Balogun is unproven for Arsenal. You can’t have three, four players competing for a single position. Also Balogun tore up the league that Lacazette is tearing up, so it’s not like the French league is currently a great predictor for Arsenal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nketiah has proven he's not good enough, so why not give another player that same chance?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Balogun has made it clear that he wants a permanent move to be an undisputed first choice player somewhere else

https://twitter.com/jbsoutar/status/1686452584519733248?s=20

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Shrapnig posted:

Nketiah has proven he's not good enough, so why not give another player that same chance?

Because Balogun wants to be a starter. If he was happy being a backup and fighting for a spot, and we had teams willing to buy Eddie, we would sell him instead. There is interest in Balogun from other teams, next to nothing for Eddie.

Like when we sold Emi and kept Leno. Emi wanted to start, but also had teams bidding 20m for him, while Leno had no interest. Couldn't keep Emi and sell Leno when there is no one to sell him to.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

It's not like Gabriel Jesus is currently injured or anything.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1686771303850610688

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TyrantWD posted:

Because Balogun wants to be a starter. If he was happy being a backup and fighting for a spot, and we had teams willing to buy Eddie, we would sell him instead. There is interest in Balogun from other teams, next to nothing for Eddie.

Like when we sold Emi and kept Leno. Emi wanted to start, but also had teams bidding 20m for him, while Leno had no interest. Couldn't keep Emi and sell Leno when there is no one to sell him to.

Assuming they don't go and buy another striker, I'd just prefer to keep them all. It's not like three is an obscene amount of strikers. Both Nketiah and Balogun have multiple years on their contract and if they can't get into the team or are unhappy they can gently caress off in the winter or next year.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Considering how poor Nketiah is looking today (and in general), Balogun is likely gone and Jesus has this injury, I'm quite worried about Arsenal's attack next season.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m not worried about it at all!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We need you posting that Eddie is poo poo whenever he's playing

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

We need you posting that Eddie is poo poo whenever he's playing

Haha, happily, 1 goal does not remove his shitiness though (he'll get 2 now)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Honestly I thought he was an acceptable stand-in for Jesus after he blew his knee up - I was at the West Ham game at Christmas and he looked fine, but it's inconsistent and really we can't afford to miss chances at the rate we seem to be doing.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

This will all be moot once Mbappe arrives

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

Honestly I thought he was an acceptable stand-in for Jesus after he blew his knee up - I was at the West Ham game at Christmas and he looked fine, but it's inconsistent and really we can't afford to miss chances at the rate we seem to be doing.

I dont think he's good enough back up for a title challenging team honestly, he's like Welbeck level or something like that. Really and this maybe is harsh to Jesus but Jesus imo should be the backup to a more clinical striker. We need consistency, Jesus is both too injury prone and also disappears at times, and Nketiah has the odd hot streak then provides nothing and you might as well just put Martinelli up front.

I can't see it happening this window (unless Jesus is broken) but I could see us splashing big for a proper class striker soon, either Jan or next summer.

I actually think Trossard is our second best striker lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

but actual good strikers who cost less than 100m are very tough to find these days so I'm not really holding my breath.

Yet you spent £70m on Havertz for some reason and are about to let Pepe leave for free when surely you could squeeze £15-20m out of some French side for him and then it's really just a rounding issue.

Not to mention overpaying for Declan Rice but there's really nothing that can be done about that, he was always going to cost you at least £100m with the English tax.