Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

the ones I’m bitching about ALL work at the same company as me. I have an easier time with other companys PMs because their opinion and dumbass processes are meaningless to me

Do you work in federal or something where everything has to be done a specific way to get paid? If you're fighting internally with your PMs either you or them is poo poo at your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I used to hate project managers until I worked with a good one. A good PM is worth their weight in gold. Only seen 1 of them in my career though.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Our PMs are tremendously lovely at their job. So were the PMs at my last place. They’re currently ruining a proposal by insisting ‘PM time’ is too low but can’t articulate what they even need it for. Everyone is telling them to shut the gently caress up and they keep going on and on. They’ve also been on a ‘we aren’t supposed to do admin work’ kick and are tying to give their jobs away to consultants. I’m legit not sure what they’re doing anymore besides loving poo poo up and sending out inaccurate status reports. I hope they all get fired

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
They’re saying they need 5 hours a week to ‘manage a resource’ at 20 hours or less. loving why. Our senior consultants are getting a bunch of PM tasks dumped on their plate anyways so that 20 hours is being hosed by our PMO before we even do a kickoff

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’ve worked with one really kickass PM in the last decade but they only ran facility development projects. Every single one ran as smooth as I could possibly imagine.

The two i deal with now; one is incompetent at everything and was “promoted” to this position to get them out of the department and the other is the step-son of the owner with no experience so you can probably guess how our current projects go.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Maybe it's just my organization, but I don't know if I think PMs in IT have enough power and autonomy to really shine, which isn't really the PMs' fault. IT PMs are usually not technical themselves, so they're reliant on the technical folks to tell them how long things will take, what needs to be done, and when it's danger of not being done and what to do about it. They usually don't order the equipment or the parts or the materials. The technical people usually have full-time managers, so they don't report to the PMs. So there isn't a ton left for the PM to do except to wrangle the other stakeholders, for which they are again reliant on the technical folks. I can tell my PM that xyz group needs to give us Thing, but they won't know what Thing is, its significance, or whether the thing xyz group gave us is, in fact, Thing.

In other industries, I think PMs can have much more impact. They are in charge of budgets and all sorts of things. I have not seen that in IT. PMs in fields like construction are also expected to be conversant with the various types of trades working under them, and I don't think that expectation is there in IT.

I like my current PM, because they are friendly and organized and also because the PMs I've had before have had only actively negative impacts on my projects. I will never forget the rear end in a top hat who didn't schedule anything, so I did it, and then they cancelled the stuff I scheduled for no reason and hosed everything up.

EDIT: When you do give IT PMs more authority, I almost think that's worse. They don't do any of the technical stuff themselves or have any real understanding of it, but they're incentivized to deliver things ahead of schedule, so they promise unrealistic deadlines and expect the ICs to breathe fire and work extra hours to make those deadlines.

guppy fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 2, 2023

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

i am a moron posted:

If you’re a project manager, punch yourself in the loving face. How is this an actual role people get paid for in this loving industry

Nuclear hot take, drat

A good PM means you don’t have to babysit everyone every step of the way and are honestly loving amazing. We’ve got a good one where I work and I thank him every time I work with him because he manages all of the other chucklefucks and saves me having to wipe everyone else’s asses.

I mean fully agreed on bad PMs but good ones are Proof of God

E: The good ones I know have all had a somewhat technical background too

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 2, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

It's not even a hot take, let alone a nuclear one. What project is that PM running?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

i am a moron posted:

It's not even a hot take, let alone a nuclear one. What project is that PM running?

The one I was referring to has run location go-lives (setting up clinics top to bottom), a rev-cycle software overhaul, other software rollouts. Guy owns and keeps everyone on the same page (meaning that other IT people don’t have to). Asks good questions and tells people if they’re wrong. Solid guy.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I've never had a PM but they're managers and therefore suck by definition

Anyway script runs and works, it's by far the best written script on the network drive and my coworker was lovely per usual

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

i am a moron posted:

No they aren’t name one
I once worked on a project involving the AOL/Time Warner split, where we were given a hard maximum of 24 months to do a migration from AOL's managed datacenters into a multi-site DR configuration involving about 500 servers at a managed datacenter host. At the same time, we were upgrading between RHEL versions, moving a bunch of stuff from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10, and adopting then-modern configuration management tech/approaches. The lawyers, no joke, tied up 14 of the 24 months arguing contract terms with the hosting company before the project could even get off the ground.

We finished that 24-month project, for which we had 10 months, a week ahead of schedule and marginally under budget. It was almost entirely due to our PMs (a few of whom were really good consultants brought on for this specific project).

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Vulture Culture posted:

I once worked on a project involving the AOL/Time Warner split, where we were given a hard maximum of 24 months to do a migration from AOL's managed datacenters into a multi-site DR configuration involving about 500 servers at a managed datacenter host. At the same time, we were upgrading between RHEL versions, moving a bunch of stuff from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10, and adopting then-modern configuration management tech/approaches. The lawyers, no joke, tied up 14 of the 24 months arguing contract terms with the hosting company before the project could even get off the ground.

We finished that 24-month project, for which we had 10 months, a week ahead of schedule and marginally under budget. It was almost entirely due to our PMs (a few of whom were really good consultants brought on for this specific project).

I actually remember this story from when you posted it before. I generally work with one PM at a time (at least who’s a teammate) so a bit more scaled out project then I’m used to I’d imagine

I had an amazing PM on a project where we had to greenfield (and later run under our MSP arm) an entire IT department/environment. Like soup to nuts. Our client was a newly formed entity being spun off of a government organization. There were an insane amount of unknowns and our PM kicked rear end because he:

- never ever had us in meetings we didn’t need to be in
- was so far up the vendors asses their burps tasted like his cologne
- had a great relationship with our client
- was physically on site assisting with cutovers for our team that did that
- understood his job was managing scope and timeline and resources

And all sorts of other poo poo. Great dude, still a good work friend of mine. But I’ve worked with probably 30-40 PMs since and they’ve all been hot garbage, and this one dude existing and deciding to devote his professional career to a field that some of the biggest jackasses I’ve ever met keep getting paid for doesn’t mean PMs don’t suck rear end

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Vulture Culture posted:

How old are you?

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
Well,

So today we crammed 8 techs across 4 workbenches and two of our decoupling benches (basically big metal slabs designed to yank a switchboard off the server motherboards) because the new division office was supposed to be ready today, but staging went wrong.

They brought two of our decoupling benches and a 200lb (I'm not a strong lady, so my actual estimate could be way off) server across the building so an nVidia project guy could tell them how to set it up, turns out the contractor electricians bungled it and when they ran the server, the moment current draw picked up it tripped overvolt protection on the server and it shut down. So they got to cart that fuckin' thing all the way back across the building so we could investigate it and run tests on it. Thankfully it seems like it's fine.

Now the contractors are back to apparently rewire the entire thing. So we won't be moving into it for another week at least.

What a mess though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

tokin opposition posted:

I've never had a PM but they're managers and therefore suck by definition

PMs are ICs though.

We just lost some contractor PMs because of LOL, budget. Stuff I need to happen is on hold.

We do still have an awesome PM we're involved with, and it's a personal accomplishment of mine that I hired him on as a contractor. That might help, but he's grown into the role like a weed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We have an awesome PM on our IT/OT platform overhaul project. She keeps people on track, involves the right people at the right time, and cut down on a lot of the bullshit I'd otherwise have to deal with.

Since she's a consultant, I'm going to try to get her involved in helping to plan out our OT network rollout as well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case you missed from Admin portal, 365 for education tenants is going to drastically change the storage allotment.

Every tenant gets a common pool of 100tb, to be used on exchange/sharepoint(teams and onedrive included) for student licenses and a1 faculty(every free license type in short). Paid licenses(a3-a5 faculty) get some extra storage to add to the pool. A1 licenses onedrive is hardcapped at 100gb.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/products/Microsoft-365-Storage-Options

If you have lots of student benefit or a1 faculty users filling their 1tb onedrive or sharepoint document libraries, you are going to get hosed hard.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

jaegerx posted:

How old are you?
Elder millennial. The AOL/Time Warner split was only 2009

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Oh I thought you were talking about the AOL modem bank build days, and you might have vgill stories :(

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The kids went back to school today so I get the house to myself all day again. It’s beautiful weather so I’m sitting on the back patio with my laptop, getting distracted by the butterflies and bees on the butterfly bushes.

Bees are much more entertaining than work any day.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If I went outside to work I'd instantly melt because central Texas is hell on earth right now. This is different to the regular hell that is Texas

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

George H.W. oval office posted:

If I went outside to work I'd instantly melt because central Texas is hell on earth right now. This is different to the regular hell that is Texas

I saw their government also want people working outside to die. The American south is absolutely hosed up.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Vulture Culture posted:

Elder millennial. The AOL/Time Warner split was only 2009

Oh cool, I was in middle school

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Blurb3947 posted:

The American south is absolutely hosed up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

tokin opposition posted:

Did I join the forums before or after you finished kindergarten?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

tokin opposition posted:

Yes, we know you're like 12 irl.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Man even being adjacent to layoffs sucks. Thought this was funny at first, but they published the whole list and I’m shocked at some of the people they let go. I realize this is normal post-layoff but gently caress my company for trying to grow and ruining my pod. I got people texting me just to ask if I was laid off so they could bring me in for an interview, guess I’ll go work at Slalom or Accenture or some poo poo now

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

i am a moron posted:

Man even being adjacent to layoffs sucks. Thought this was funny at first, but they published the whole list and I’m shocked at some of the people they let go. I realize this is normal post-layoff but gently caress my company for trying to grow and ruining my pod. I got people texting me just to ask if I was laid off so they could bring me in for an interview, guess I’ll go work at Slalom or Accenture or some poo poo now

Hey I’ll PM you if you’re starting to put feelers out.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Hi thread! Missed this place; it’s been a while. I’m having one of those days. Just here to say cross-team communication is important. Sincerely, your friendly neighborhood consultant.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Welcome back! Yes, and also, don't talk to me.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Ugh, I work at an F100 and they are pushing return to work.

Favorite quotes of the announcement thing.

"Its not a return to the office, it's a return to normal!"

"People want to put COVID behind them, this is our way to help people move on from that traumatic experience"

"I am hearing that a lot of people really miss talking by the water cooler"

So now I get to make the decision of sucking it up when I know that we are going to lose a substantial amount of people and therefore my job is going to get substantially more painful because they won't be able to fill the open position, or join the exodus when it happens.

What have other goons experiences with this been? Our entire department has been 100% remote since COVID and ironically we have just put up some of the biggest quarters in the company's history.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Start looking for a new job, the worst that can happen is you don't find one, but maybe you find one way better.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

cr0y posted:

Ugh, I work at an F100 and they are pushing return to work.

Favorite quotes of the announcement thing.

"Its not a return to the office, it's a return to normal!"

"People want to put COVID behind them, this is our way to help people move on from that traumatic experience"

So now I get to make the decision of sucking it up when I know that we are going to lose a substantial amount of people and therefore my job is going to get substantially more painful because they won't be able to fill the open position, or join the exodus when it happens.

What have other goons experiences with this been? Our entire department has been 100% remote since COVID and ironically we have just put up some of the biggest quarters in the company's history.

Not even joking, would rather be unemployed at this point lol

Inner Light posted:

Hey I’ll PM you if you’re starting to put feelers out.

Hit me up I’m ready to get outta here

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cr0y posted:

lol. lmao.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm currently in office five days a week and will hopefully have some WFH days coming this fall after I hit the 3-4 month mark of working here. But if after six months of being here, they're like "WFH? I know we said in your interview 2 days WFH a week after some time in your role, but things changed!", I'm gonna head out.

The only reason I'm not as annoyed about it is that it was a career change for me and a new job, so I was fine with going into the office when I started out. They've also allowed me a few days here and there to WFH when my wife had to get surgery in June. It's if after a meaningful period of being in this role they still want me to come in five days a week that I'll be annoyed and seriously looking elsewhere.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Susat posted:

Well,

So today we crammed 8 techs across 4 workbenches and two of our decoupling benches (basically big metal slabs designed to yank a switchboard off the server motherboards) because the new division office was supposed to be ready today, but staging went wrong.

They brought two of our decoupling benches and a 200lb (I'm not a strong lady, so my actual estimate could be way off) server across the building so an nVidia project guy could tell them how to set it up, turns out the contractor electricians bungled it and when they ran the server, the moment current draw picked up it tripped overvolt protection on the server and it shut down. So they got to cart that fuckin' thing all the way back across the building so we could investigate it and run tests on it. Thankfully it seems like it's fine.

Now the contractors are back to apparently rewire the entire thing. So we won't be moving into it for another week at least.

What a mess though.

This is how every server move has turned out for me as well. It's always the wiring that's hosed up, always.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm of the opinion that forced RTO is class warfare and at this point you have an obligation to fight it any way you can.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm of the opinion that forced RTO is class warfare and at this point you have an obligation to fight it any way you can.

Correct.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Forming a cadre over our mutual hatred of printers, managers, and reactionary users.

I'm a RTO-MTW-MLM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

IE is and always was right.