Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember getting my first American comic book and being really pissed off because it was only 32 pages and ten of them were advertisements. (I was used to 52 pages with like two ads.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
This is a devastating day. I made the mistake of trying to read the Harley Quinn Show tie-in comics *and* found out that All Eight Eyes is apparently a limited series? And only 4 issues? Dark times.

:negative:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Danknificent posted:

This is a devastating day. I made the mistake of trying to read the Harley Quinn Show tie-in comics *and* found out that All Eight Eyes is apparently a limited series? And only 4 issues? Dark times.

I picked up a Spidey comic for the first time in years (What If...? Dark Spider-Gwen) and the cover is by Greg Land.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Uthor posted:

I picked up a Spidey comic for the first time in years (What If...? Dark Spider-Gwen) and the cover is by Greg Land.

I mean, a Greg Land cover isn't too bad assuming he wasn't also doing the interior art.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Danknificent posted:

How is All Eight Eyes? I pretty much only do horror comics currently so I’m used to most of my pulls being limited runs

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How is All Eight Eyes? I pretty much only do horror comics currently so I’m used to most of my pulls being limited runs

I absolutely love it, but that’s partly because it just pushes all the right buttons for me.

I haven’t read the fourth issue though; the first three honestly feel like they’re setting up on ongoing thing so I guess the end will be pretty abrupt.

The only other horror book I’m following is w0rldtr33 which I don’t like nearly as much, but i like it just enough to keep going. There’s something new called The Cull coming that I may check out

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah, I’ve been pulling w0rldtr33 but it’s starting to drag a bit story wise, issue four still feels like nothing but works building. I like the art, at least, and there’s hints of an ARG being done but nothing has happened with that either. I have The Cull set to be pulled too cause that one looks interesting

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I watched a great new documentary on Amazon Prime Video called Dave Stevens: Drawn to Perfection. I had always been a fan of Stevens' gorgeous art, and I loved The Rocketeer movie, but never knew a lot about the man, except that he befriended Bettie Page in her later years and died way too young. It's a really interesting documentary that goes deeper into Stevens' life and creative process, and it has a lot of talking head interviews with some important figures in comics from the '70s and '80s.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Yeah, I’ve been pulling w0rldtr33 but it’s starting to drag a bit story wise, issue four still feels like nothing but works building. I like the art, at least, and there’s hints of an ARG being done but nothing has happened with that either. I have The Cull set to be pulled too cause that one looks interesting

I think I'll try the Cull.

All Eight Eyes ended on issue 4. I loved it. Of the 8 billion comics I get each month, it's the one that I was looking forward to. I hope there's something else at some point. I would love an ongoing series that took this premise and played it completely straight.

I feel like Worldtree is trying too hard in the edgelord department and not hard enough in storytelling, but I'm not ready to bail on it just yet. We're 4 issues in but we could've easily been to this point in the story in 3 or maybe even 2. A lot of exposition and dialogue that doesn't drive it forward or develop anyone who matters. This can probably be said of a lot of comics, so it's more of an observation than a criticism.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 3, 2023

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I enjoyed the new Conan. It’s essentially the same as the Marvel series but with more blood and boobies.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Joe Fisto posted:

I enjoyed the new Conan. It’s essentially the same as the Marvel series but with more blood and boobies.

What’s it called? I love the older Conan comics but it’s hard to find collections that aren’t just aggregates of the enormous volume of mid stuff from marvel and that sounds like maybe a good starting point for newer stuff at least

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Frog Act posted:

What’s it called? I love the older Conan comics but it’s hard to find collections that aren’t just aggregates of the enormous volume of mid stuff from marvel and that sounds like maybe a good starting point for newer stuff at least

It’s just “Conan the Barbarian” from Titan comics

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I haven't been able to attend a con since before the pandemic started. I'm immunocompromised and I thought I'd be able to attend the NOLA con coming up in a week or so if I skipped my chemo one week and stayed masked, but my body got wind of that plan and made me really sick again so I won't be good in time for it either.

I'm sure there are some others on here who for whatever reason can't physically attend a con. Does anyone run an online convention with similar offerings as physical attendees? Like I want to commission art, but I may not know about the artist until I'm there. I have lots of stuff I've bought before I got sick by artists that are there just grinding and networking, but aren't "names". I'm not really a take a picture with a celebrity guy, but I'd like to maybe listen to their talk. I want to be able to buy the con exclusives. I want to see the things set up by groups like the 501st, or even a cool promo area for something. Hell if they could have vendors and out of town shops put their inventory online and I can buy stuff and have it shipped that would be great.

I assume it's just too much work and bandwidth just being too slow at most sites?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The only online convention I know is shortbox

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Danknificent posted:

I feel like Worldtree is trying too hard in the edgelord department and not hard enough in storytelling, but I'm not ready to bail on it just yet. We're 4 issues in but we could've easily been to this point in the story in 3 or maybe even 2. A lot of exposition and dialogue that doesn't drive it forward or develop anyone who matters. This can probably be said of a lot of comics, so it's more of an observation than a criticism.

This is exactly how I’m feeling about it. The end of each issue has been like “And the story will start going next issue!” endings but then we get just more exposition and talking for pages about things that don’t really need to stop the story to talk about. There’s something interesting there but it needs to actually start showing it at this point instead of constantly stalling

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I did a stupid thing and read Big Game and, despite the Millar-ness of it all, am kind of excited to see where it’s going, with the full understanding that only disappointment lies around the corner. Never read Prodigy, Night Club, or a few others on the list, but I’m curious to see how deep from his own bibliography he’s willing to pull. Are we gonna see Huck? The folks from MPH? How many references to Trouble will there be? Will he and Grant Morrison stop loving around and finally bring us more Aztek: The Ultimate Man that isn’t just a subplot in a 25-year-old JLA story?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I saw an anthology comic called The Devil’s Cut pop up on a pull list from a publisher called DSTLRY and despite the PR fluffy speak I’m kinda confused on how it isn’t just some NFT trash. Like there seems to be some good names attached to it but everything else reads like a techbros idea of how to make comics “better”

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
If there's a better place to ask this question, I apologize in advance. For something like say, Saga of the Swamp Thing 20/21, what's the significance of the difference between direct and newsstand editions? Basically just scarcity, or anything else?

I can't seem to find any references to a direct edition vs newsstand for Miracleman (1985). Was that comic available in both versions, or with some other distribution, or am I thinking about it all wrong?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

AvesPKS posted:

If there's a better place to ask this question, I apologize in advance. For something like say, Saga of the Swamp Thing 20/21, what's the significance of the difference between direct and newsstand editions? Basically just scarcity, or anything else?

I can't seem to find any references to a direct edition vs newsstand for Miracleman (1985). Was that comic available in both versions, or with some other distribution, or am I thinking about it all wrong?

The newsstand edition would have a UPC code in the little box in the lower left, and the direct market edition would have something else (Marvel liked to put a little picture of Spider-Man). That's about it.

I'm pretty sure Miracleman wasn't sold on newsstands.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

The newsstand edition would have a UPC code in the little box in the lower left, and the direct market edition would have something else (Marvel liked to put a little picture of Spider-Man). That's about it.

I'm pretty sure Miracleman wasn't sold on newsstands.

Yeah, I don't think Eclipse had any kind of newstand distribution and even if they did, Miracleman was explicitly part of a special direct market deal where they were trying to bring the prices on them down to something close to newstand comics.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Thanks for the responses. I think Swamp Thing 21 is one of my favorite single issues I've ever read so I wanted a copy of the original issue, and I don't really care that much about condition, just having something I can share with my kids when they get a bit older. And Miracleman has been on my radar for a long time, again not too concerned with specific condition of the issues.

I just noticed that newsstand usually tended to be more expensive for the same condition.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

So in The Boys/Highland Laddie, Hughie's lived all his life on an island with fulmars, but didn't know what one was until an American showed up to tell him? Seems pretty unlikely.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

AvesPKS posted:

So in The Boys/Highland Laddie, Hughie's lived all his life on an island with fulmars, but didn't know what one was until an American showed up to tell him? Seems pretty unlikely.

We're taking the same Hughie who dated Annie for a while without realizing she was Starfire

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I need to solicit some input from comics knowers, just out of a general desire to gauge the stupidity of a purchase I intend to make. 2000ad released a really nice hardcover artbook for Kevin O’Neill, who is tied for my favorite artist of all time with Simon Bisley, and it looks loving sick. However, it is extremely expensive and because Rebellion sucks and orders from their website have a minimum shipping of like $35-$50 when you’re ordering proper hardbacks. Anyway there’s a slipcase version with a little bit of extra content for $203 versus $126 for the non-slipcase version. I’ve only really been reading comics for about a year and thus feel like I’m not really informed with regards to projecting value and determining whether something is liable to accumulate it (though I never plan to sell any of this stuff) and I’m especially not really familiar with art books like this. What do posters ITT think? Have any of y’all bought the book I’m talking about and dig it? It’s just so expensive

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Frog Act posted:

I need to solicit some input from comics knowers, just out of a general desire to gauge the stupidity of a purchase I intend to make. 2000ad released a really nice hardcover artbook for Kevin O’Neill, who is tied for my favorite artist of all time with Simon Bisley, and it looks loving sick. However, it is extremely expensive and because Rebellion sucks and orders from their website have a minimum shipping of like $35-$50 when you’re ordering proper hardbacks. Anyway there’s a slipcase version with a little bit of extra content for $203 versus $126 for the non-slipcase version. I’ve only really been reading comics for about a year and thus feel like I’m not really informed with regards to projecting value and determining whether something is liable to accumulate it (though I never plan to sell any of this stuff) and I’m especially not really familiar with art books like this. What do posters ITT think? Have any of y’all bought the book I’m talking about and dig it? It’s just so expensive

It's probably cheaper to buy it now than it will be after it's been out of print for a few years, but it's not really an investment vehicle, since an artbook of a specific artist is going to also be harder to find someone else to buy it and is willing to pay a mark-up. If the cost difference doesn't hurt you, might as well go for the one with the extras, but it's really just a matter of how much of a burden it will be on your financials.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I never buy books based on "projected value". If I spend the money I feel comfortable spending for myself.

I've bought big hardcovers in the past, at this point only stuff I know and like. I've gotten a few things that I ended up not liking and they just sit on a shelf never to be read again. (really need to purge).

Sorry, I can't help you with an art book. Most of mine are a thing I flip through once, I personally don't get much value out of them. They can range from lots of details and information to just some pictures, based on whoever put it together.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I proooooobably wouldn't expect an art book to appreciate much, but also if you're buying something because you want its value to appreciate, you're buying for the wrong reason.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The only time value should enter the decision making process is when you're asking yourself if it's worth your time and money to get the book. I have a huge collection (and it needs culling) and the dollar value I assign to my books is either zero or the cost of replacement if something happened to it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I mean yeah I don’t intend to sell it, I’m just always interested in the patterns of costs associated with buying things I want later like how I had to pay a hundred dollars for a Corto Maltese (and nemesis, and ABC warriors) book and want to avoid doing that in the future if I can. I guess I was mostly trying to gauge whether that’s the kind of thing people thing I’d be able to find on the cheap in a few years since art books are generally unfamiliar to me

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I mean yeah I don’t intend to sell it, I’m just always interested in the patterns of costs associated with buying things I want later like how I had to pay a hundred dollars for a Corto Maltese (and nemesis, and ABC warriors) book and want to avoid doing that in the future if I can. I guess I was mostly trying to gauge whether that’s the kind of thing people thing I’d be able to find on the cheap in a few years since art books are generally unfamiliar to me

I would say it's unlikely to ever be cheaper, but I could be wrong. I got the X-Statix omnibus for 30 bucks because apparently no one wanted to buy it at the $110 msrp.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

I would say it's unlikely to ever be cheaper, but I could be wrong. I got the X-Statix omnibus for 30 bucks because apparently no one wanted to buy it at the $110 msrp.

Gotta sell my omnibus some time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

Gotta sell my omnibus some time.

Looking it up and it is listed at 200 on Amazon Canada. Do people actually spend that much?

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I'm reading Transformers vs. GI Joe and it's so good, although I'm having trouble following the story and understanding character motivations at times, which really isn't that big of a deal.

Is there anything else out there that is similar to this type of artwork/style? I do have GI Joe and the Transformers queued up to read after this as well.

Also I know Warren Ellis is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it? For reference I also really enjoyed Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. I've seen some scans of pages featuring an actual evil Reed Richards that seem like it could be close, but I'm not even sure where that story would be collected.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 9, 2023

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

AvesPKS posted:

I'm reading Transformers vs. GI Joe and it's so good, although I'm having trouble following the story and understanding character motivations at times, which really isn't that big of a deal.

Is there anything else out there that is similar to this type of artwork/style? I do have GI Joe and the Transformers queued up to read after this as well.

Also I know Grant Morrison is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it? For reference I also really enjoyed Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. I've seen some scans of pages featuring an actual evil Reed Richards that seem like it could be close, but I'm not even sure where that story would be collected.

Think you mean Warren Ellis who wrote planetary.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AvesPKS posted:

Also I know Grant Morrison is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it? For reference I also really enjoyed Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. I've seen some scans of pages featuring an actual evil Reed Richards that seem like it could be close, but I'm not even sure where that story would be collected.

You'd probably like Ellis' run on The Authority or his Freakangels webcomic, which seems to have had it's website taken down, but there are print versions and me googling it found a way to download it anyways.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Air Skwirl posted:

You'd probably like Ellis' run on The Authority or his Freakangels webcomic, which seems to have had it's website taken down, but there are print versions and me googling it found a way to download it anyways.

Ok great thanks, I actually do have a copy of Freak Angels so I'll have to read it.

Madkal posted:

Think you mean Warren Ellis who wrote planetary.

Yep, sorry! I also recently re-read Morrison's run on Animal Man (which I really enjoyed) and keep getting these guys mixed up.

Right now I'm basically jumping back and forth between finishing the Boys (again), Morrison's Animal Man, Transformers vs GI Joe, a Punisher Max reread which I probably won't finish because I remember it being depressing, Moore's run on Swamp Thing, and a Miracleman re-read.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 9, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

AvesPKS posted:

All of Scioli's stuff is similar, he's a mad man in the best way. Go Bots is closest but Godland is really cool if you're a Kirby fan

The Evil Reed Richards is presumably Maker from Hickman's Ultimates stuff. He's doing a new series called Ultimate Invasion right now but you'd probably want a reading guide if you want to jump into that stuff

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AvesPKS posted:

Also I know Warren Ellis is persona non grata these days but I just read Planetary and really loved it. Is there anything else out there close to it? For reference I also really enjoyed Black Summer, No Hero, and Supergod. I've seen some scans of pages featuring an actual evil Reed Richards that seem like it could be close, but I'm not even sure where that story would be collected.

Tom Scioli's other comics like Go-Bots and American Barbarian are also worth giving a read and are just as insane

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In terms of people who feel like Scioli… I mean the obvious one is Jack Kirby, especially his later stuff. His Pacific Comics stuff is batshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Ok just checked out the first few pages of Go Bots and Godland and both seem good so far. I haven't been able to track down American Barbarian yet.
Thanks again for the suggestions!

I actually bought Phantom Force 1 when it came out, heh. Probably a better buy than Cable #1, anyway.

Welp, off to check those out too! Any specific titles from his Pacific work that you'd recommend?

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 9, 2023