Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://v.redd.it/kn9wgi46vjfb1/DASH_480.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

OSHA IV: Ohhhh no oh no

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

NoWake posted:

This came from our civil subcontractor, putting base rock around the track we built before it gets paved. I'm surprised I haven't gotten a call about it yet.

The track is locked out from the main, but still.

This has got to be the most awesome or the most horrific rocket sled ever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Whoever is paying to get the light bulb changed is really getting ripped off. Any base jumper would probably do it for free as long as they got to jump off the top at the end

I wonder if terminal velocity is fast enough to get sliced in half by a guy wire

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

McSpanky posted:

I wonder if terminal velocity is fast enough to get sliced in half by a guy wire

I'd be more concerned about getting blasted by high power microwaves on the way down. Those towers typically have two transmitters that get shut down one at a time as the person climbs up to maintain the service.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

bird with big dick posted:

Jokes on us that cop is retiring with full pay and benefits due to being injured on the job

Another accident caused by a speeding cop with no lights on. He will be cleared of all wrongdoing, the slide will be charged with assaulting an officer.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Surely if anything the slide will be charged with resisting arrest

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

looks like a task completed ahead of schedule to me

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

GotLag posted:

Surely if anything the slide will be charged with resisting arrest

It would be a bad slide if it didn't resist arrest.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/CJHurricane781/status/1686486208551997442

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Wurst Poster posted:

This has got to be the most awesome or the most horrific rocket sled ever.

Only after a roach coach lunch.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/VugfB9f.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/8d2qMZz.mp4

Kith fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 2, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

I'd be more concerned about getting blasted by high power microwaves on the way down. Those towers typically have two transmitters that get shut down one at a time as the person climbs up to maintain the service.

Microwave antennas are so focused that you can safely climb past the backs of the antennas. If, however, you hold a limb in front of the dish or horn, it will get cooked.

If they're 10 to 100kW FM transmitters that cover a large area, it's more likely that everything's turned off and the station's using the backup transmitter tower.
At least in the safe area field strenght diagrams of the national or provincial stations in my city, it is not really possible to be near the transmitting antenna on the same mast, even if you're a couple dozen meter above it.

The local stuff with less than 500w is fiiiine. Those have a safe approach distance of only a couple meters in the radiating direction, much less in the null direction.

Medium wave is a whole different beast. The whole mast is typically hot with RF, and if it's a 50kW thing it's hot enough to draw huge arcs. Let alone the europe-style 500kW propaganda blasters. Most MW/LW/SW transmitting stations have a smaller backup antenna. Even when you're climbing the inactive backup antenna you gotta watch out because it resonates at the same frequency and might get hot from the picked up energy. With proper grounding procedures it's safe to climb.

Re: terminal velocity: yes, you will be sliced in two if you fall onto a guy wire at full speed.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I dimly remember stories of people near a Berlin radio tower hanging garden lights just right so that they would produce a dim light.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yes, that is indeed possible. Especially with LEDs it's fairly easy to do. I can light a LED connected to a resonant half wave whip antenna, up to a couple meters away from a VHF transmitter operating at 10 watts. My shortwave transmitter can light up half the string of christmas LED lights if i use my loop antenna hooked up within a few meters of it.

If you have a large receiving antenna, you can light up an LED on a national medium wave transmitter's signal many (like, up to 10) kilometers away. LEDs only need microamperes to become visible.
At 40km away from a 300kW transmitter i've never managed that, but the signal was powerful enough to run a crystal receiver with a hifi speaker on. It was audible throughout the whole living room, without batteries.

There are a lot of variables. With incandescent bulbs, if you can get them to light up on the radiated energy, you're definitely in the 'kinda don't want to be there' zone. Same for fluorescents, but those are easy to keep lighting up once they're ignited or warm.

Here's some CB guy with illegally high power lighting a fluorescent lamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSYj2lEaxhY

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
OSHA success? Those shoes could be steel capped.

https://i.imgur.com/vpDbdOX.mp4

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

starkebn posted:

OSHA success? Those shoes could be steel capped.

https://i.imgur.com/vpDbdOX.mp4

That's actually a really cool rig-up.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*

One of our guys did this to a hot water line in one of the hospitals we were building.

It was one of those straight out of the movies comedy moments where the guy is trying to stop this pressurized blast of water that's blowing across the room like a fire hose.

Like, huge deal, tonnes of water damage had to rip out lots of drywall and drying up the space. But in the moment it was hilarious to watch for like 5 seconds

5er
Jun 1, 2000

This should absolutely be some kind of 'sim' game. I'd probably zen out for hours wrecking poo poo in a junkyard with an articulate crane.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

PurpleXVI posted:

Shoulder dolly moving straps feel like a thing that shouldn't work, but I've lifted 500-600 pound pieces of furniture with them really easily.

https://a.co/d/1SMNoYR

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PurpleXVI posted:

I had a fridge delivered last year and the guys used that setup. I was also impressed

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What about the Forearm FORKLIFT??

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Fatrick posted:

One of our guys did this to a hot water line in one of the hospitals we were building.

It was one of those straight out of the movies comedy moments where the guy is trying to stop this pressurized blast of water that's blowing across the room like a fire hose.

Like, huge deal, tonnes of water damage had to rip out lots of drywall and drying up the space. But in the moment it was hilarious to watch for like 5 seconds

We were working on a condo where they had heated floors.
They laid the water pipes, then poured gypsum leveler over everything.
They specified real hardwood flooring. The carpenter's nails were just a tiny bit too long, so when they turned on the water for the flooring, the entire floor was soaked in no time at all. There was an absurd amount of punctures in the lines.

I'm not sure if it was the carpenter's fault or the floor leveler guy for not pouring enough gypsum.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

snailed it

I've had nightmares about this

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 2, 2023

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

I've had nightmares about this

This is a secondhand family story, I was like 3 when this happened.

My parents both used to be teachers. My mom taught math and physics. My dad taught english. During the summer, dad would go to estate sales and stuff to find old rare books and sell them to collectors (he had a whole rare book business that later turned in to a very early e-commerce company called Interloc, it was really cool). Mom would do home improvement projects to stay busy and presumably keep herself from going off and joining some weird new age cult like her sister. One summer when I was probably like 3 or 4, she was working on the basement and knocking out an interior wall in there so they could put in a new larger washer/dryer to deal with 4 sons worth of laundry (sorry mom, I love you).

The way she tells it, she was talking to my dad, who was also working down there packing up some books to mail out. "Hey Richard is this wall load bearing?". And he said "No I don't think so, it runs along the joist". So she knocked it out, and when she took out the last bit of it toward the middle of the basement, the ceiling immediately got like four inches lower. She turns and looks at my dad, and he looks at her, and they each grab a toddler and book it outside.

"Richard I think that wall was load bearing."
"Well I'm an english professor, not an architect, but I think you're right"

They got back in there with a replacement post and a couple of friends and fixed it. It turned out that my dad was partially right -- the wall was mostly not load bearing, except for the support pillar at the end, which was installed by the previous owners when THEY took out an earlier load bearing wall that was going the other direction. It turned out the previous homeowners mismeasured the support pillar when they installed it (they probably did basically the same thing my mom did, whoops) so they just put some bricks or something under it and then left them there to slowly turn to dust in a cold damp unfinished basement, which meant that my mom (who is admittedly pretty strong for a 5'3 math teacher) could take it out with one good hit.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

And on the extreme other end of things, I was once working on a site where the owner more or less wanted his house completely renovated as a sort of pet project and that meant demolishing almost all of it. It's neat that you can knock out most of a house but so long as the load-bearing walls are still intact it'll hold perfectly well

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/TimonSingh/status/1680859365367070721?t=4grFsLaUE52_4YfwXwxQwA&s=19

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

"Touching The Blue" used to create tens of thousands of middle class jobs in this country. Zealous pushing of automation has stripped away the backbone of many rural communities leaving whole towns to empty and rot away.

Fatrick
Jul 19, 2003

*Jumping Peppers!* *Enjoy the Sauce!*
Robots will steal all of our jobs eventually.

We need UBI before it's too late

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fatrick posted:

Robots will steal all of our jobs eventually.

We need UBI before it's too late

Universal Blue Immersion

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

haveblue posted:

Universal Blue Immersion

User post combo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I blue myself because I refuse to let the robots or the unions handle my junk.

I let an independent contractor polish my knob once and she took the chrome clean off. Hope your mom's doing ok.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

JossiRossi posted:

"Touching The Blue" used to create tens of thousands of middle class jobs in this country. Zealous pushing of automation has stripped away the backbone of many rural communities leaving whole towns to empty and rot away.

This was literally the pemise for a Kids In The Hall sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmkXRrr2YY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/uMZLCF4.mp4

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Scratch Monkey posted:

This was literally the pemise for a Kids In The Hall sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmkXRrr2YY

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about that sketch. The dipping hands must have been what sent me down that path

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Remember to practice safe sex....

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Oh hey that's Joe Don Baker

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...