Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Really wonder what that self-diagnosed civilizational conflict is about from their perspective, considering that the Russian government tries to project an outside image of being a functioning pluralist democracy, respecting human rights and allowing a free press. What's left? Sexual minority rights? We are in a civilizational conflict over whether we should terrorize and dehumanize gay people? That's the pitch they are going with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GABA ghoul posted:

Really wonder what that self-diagnosed civilizational conflict is about from their perspective, considering that the Russian government tries to project an outside image of being a functioning pluralist democracy, respecting human rights and allowing a free press. What's left? Sexual minority rights? We are in a civilizational conflict over whether we should terrorize and dehumanize gay people? That's the pitch they are going with?

Yes, remember this whole thing is about the homo-nazis. Hot Dog man already said there are no nazis so that's what's left now.

Not in the recent office hits at least:

quote:

There were no injuries reported from the Tuesday attack.
https://www.eurasiareview.com/02082023-russia-reports-ukrainian-drone-hits-government-offices-in-moscow/
vvvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 2, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dwesa posted:

Were any civilians harmed in the attacks at all? I am not counting the attacks that took place in the Russian-occupied territories of Ukraine or in the Russian-annexed separatist territories of Ukraine.

No they were not, iirc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1686680212824616961?s=20

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Sorry but this prince from Nigeria needs me to burn this building down

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

419? Nonono 420 BLAZE IT

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Our citizens don't hate the draft, they are simply being fooled by bad actors!

lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"if I had known this was the draft office, I would have brought dynamite instead of gasoline!"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
It was just a feint phone scam!

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Alan Smithee posted:

419? Nonono 420 BLAZE IT

Blaze your glory bro

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I remember a sad video of a russian ~80 year old casually burning down a recruitment office in broad daylight on camera and later it turned out his grandson had been drafted and didn't come back. Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

BrassRoots posted:

No soup? What kind of bullshit lunch is that?

lol, thank you for making me remember the US army spokesperson who was like, “Yeah, these Ukrainian troops we’re training are capable, quick learners and there is no adequate amount of soup we can provide for them. These guy just love their soup!”

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Karma Comedian posted:

Sorry but this prince from Nigeria needs me to burn this building down

Thread title please

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

weg posted:

Our citizens don't hate the draft, they are simply being fooled by bad actors!

lmao

once again Steven Seagal making war look cringe

https://frinkiac.com/mp4/S12E14/699...nViIOKZqiDimaog

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Sashimi posted:

Making propaganda telling Ukrainians to surrender has got to be the most futile and useless job in the world.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
This is the story of eastern Europe as it concerns Russian imperialism

The daughter of the fallen Ukrainian soldier Yarolslav Zhuravl has grown up and is taking revenge on the Russian occupiers for her father

On July 13, 2020 Lt Dmytro Krasnohrud died as a result of a mine blast while performing a combat mission to survey the approaches to the battalion's position in the gray zone near the village of Zaytseve.

To evacuate the body of the deceased officer a ceasefire was agreed upon from 1400-1800. After receiving confirmation of this ceasefire, the evacuation team in white helmets with identification marks did not have time to reach the body of the deceased a few meters away. At this time, the enemy opened fire with small arms. Yaroslav, who was leading the group, was injured in the leg. Yaroslav bled out after the group had to withdraw as Russian artillery began shelling the location where the evacuation team was located.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Putin is a real piece of poo poo. Up to 50,000 Ukrainians have lost one or more limbs since the beginning of the full scale invasion. These figures can be compared with the scale of amputations in World War 1.

https://en.socportal.info/en/news/s-nachala-polnomasshtabnoi-voiny-okolo-50-tysyach-ukraintcev-poteryali-konechnosti/

quote:

This was reported by The Wall Street Journal, citing data from prosthetics companies, doctors and charitable organisations.

The quoted figures are based on information from the government and medical institutions, although the number of traumatised people may be higher, as prosthetics take a long time. For example, 40-80 per cent of patients who end up in hospitals in the Zaporizhzhya region need amputations.

At the beginning of the war, the leading causes of amputations were injuries sustained during artillery and rocket attacks. Now many are injured by landmines planted along the front line.

The Houp Foundation, a charity organisation, cites data that 200,000 people were seriously wounded during the war, with about 10% needing amputations. Some people do not have their limbs amputated for weeks or even months after being wounded. At the same time, to avoid atrophy and other problems, patients need to receive new limbs no later than 90 days after amputation.

The Wall Street Journal also points out that prosthetic limbs are not cheap, with some reaching 50,000 euros. At the same time, Ukrainian authorities are paying up to 20,000 euros to the wounded. The journalists note that it is difficult for civilians who have been wounded to afford treatment.

According to First Deputy Health Minister Serhiy Dubrov, more than 30 children in Ukraine have suffered amputations because of the war.

Read also on Socportal: how to resume professional activity abroad, work with migrants and live after loss.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

You'd think they would at least make the effort to write it in Ukrainian lol.

A few weeks before Russia's re-invasion last year, I recall watching a documentary team visit what were then the (stagnant) front lines in occupied Donetsk. Maybe Vice? The Ukrainian Army had positions within shouting distance of "separatists," which were by then Russian troops.

The Russians were close enough to yell insults at the Ukrainians, in Russian. The reporter asked one of the Ukrainian soldiers if he was worried that his conversations with his team would be overheard and used by the enemy.

The Ukrainian soldier replied that all of his troops could understand the Russians, because they had been forced to learn Russian for generations. The Russians, on the other hand, didn't speak Ukrainian because they didn't respect their enemy enough to learn their language.

That line stuck with me, and apparently it's still true.

The other part of that interview which stuck with me was the Ukrainian soldier's insistence that the reporter shouldn't compare their trench warfare to WWI, because it was an absurd comparison, and that line didn't really age as well.

Burns
May 10, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo. Up to 50,000 Ukrainians have lost one or more limbs since the beginning of the full scale invasion. These figures can be compared with the scale of amputations in World War 1.

https://en.socportal.info/en/news/s-nachala-polnomasshtabnoi-voiny-okolo-50-tysyach-ukraintcev-poteryali-konechnosti/

I recall an interview with a Brit who fought in Donbass i think who said that one thing UA needed to do to win there is mine the roadways from Russia into Donbass (i guess via drone delivery?). Im beginning to agree with his view. gently caress Russia.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

lol, thank you for making me remember the US army spokesperson who was like, “Yeah, these Ukrainian troops we’re training are capable, quick learners and there is no adequate amount of soup we can provide for them. These guy just love their soup!”

We had a mum and 2 kids stay with us for 9 months and they had a lot of soup. I've learnt how to make proper borscht, which I would kind of describe as.. well, it's a bit like how if you want the best sausages you should look for German or Polish traditional recipes. Borscht is what happens when your traditional food culture centers around chicken soup. It's like the ultimate in chicken soup - all the meat, veg, and drink you need in one delicious serving. With a dollop of cream if you're lucky.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/WHOUkraine/status/1686346505991446529?s=20

Vladimir Putin continues to be a real piece of poo poo.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It was that doctor's literal first day of work as a doctor too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HonorableTB posted:

It was that doctor's literal first day of work as a doctor too.

Better than the last day before retirement

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

mobby_6kl posted:

Better than the last day before retirement

Not for the doctor. :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah generally speaking I think living more life is better than living less life. But I'm not exactly an expert.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Arc Light posted:

The other part of that interview which stuck with me was the Ukrainian soldier's insistence that the reporter shouldn't compare their trench warfare to WWI, because it was an absurd comparison, and that line didn't really age as well.

I don't know if WWI is a good comparison, though. I take it you disagree.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Arc Light posted:

The Russians were close enough to yell insults at the Ukrainians, in Russian. The reporter asked one of the Ukrainian soldiers if he was worried that his conversations with his team would be overheard and used by the enemy.

The Ukrainian soldier replied that all of his troops could understand the Russians, because they had been forced to learn Russian for generations. The Russians, on the other hand, didn't speak Ukrainian because they didn't respect their enemy enough to learn their language.

Ukrainian is fairly easy to understand to native Russian speakers.

Ukrainians would have trouble to parse speech and communication from Chechens, Buryats or other minorities in Russian ranks but i dont think Russians make significant attempts to create 100% regional/ethnic units or employ codetalkers.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 2, 2023

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

I don't know if WWI is a good comparison, though. I take it you disagree.

Different parts of the country saw radically different application of strategy and tactics, influenced by terrain and the availability of weapons and vehicles, but the lengthy battle for Bakhmut devolved into human wave attacks and artillery bombardment. That even included the use of weapons that were actually in use during the first world war. The Maxim gun, developed in the 1880s and used in WWI, put in quite a bit of work on the Ukrainian side, and I think I saw some Russian units using them as well.

But, to be clear, even without particular weapons like the Maxim gun, I'd use the comparison because the pertinent bit is the trench warfare, artillery duels, and human wave attacks resulting in significant casualties in order to move the front lines a few meters, while also turning the landscape into little more than craters, and the city of Bakhmut into ruin.

I'm not sure what other comparison would be made if not WWI, as that's basically the last major war to involve large scale trench fighting.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I’m sure the language barrier is a problem when Chechen barrier troops are shooting at retreating Russians

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arc Light posted:

Different parts of the country saw radically different application of strategy and tactics, influenced by terrain and the availability of weapons and vehicles, but the lengthy battle for Bakhmut devolved into human wave attacks and artillery bombardment. That even included the use of weapons that were actually in use during the first world war. The Maxim gun, developed in the 1880s and used in WWI, put in quite a bit of work on the Ukrainian side, and I think I saw some Russian units using them as well.

But, to be clear, even without particular weapons like the Maxim gun, I'd use the comparison because the pertinent bit is the trench warfare, artillery duels, and human wave attacks resulting in significant casualties in order to move the front lines a few meters, while also turning the landscape into little more than craters, and the city of Bakhmut into ruin.

I'm not sure what other comparison would be made if not WWI, as that's basically the last major war to involve large scale trench fighting.

the last one was iran iraq war in the 80s

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Arc Light posted:

More people died in one month of Pachendale than this whole war

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
re: trench war: iran iraq war says what

efb

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

mobby_6kl posted:

You'd think they would at least make the effort to write it in Ukrainian lol.

An acquaintance of mine had a brilliant idea of going to Kyiv, right now, as a tourist. He has dual citizenship but one of them is... russian. He didn't use that passport for entry but that's pretty dumb even by my standards. He reports everything being fine despite the occasional explosions and seems to be enjoying himself so far.

When the country they invaded is seeing an uptick in tourism, it's probably not going well for them.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m sure the language barrier is a problem when Chechen barrier troops are shooting at retreating Russians

Most of them aren't even actual Chechens. A lot of the "Chechens" are volunteers from other parts of POCCNR that decided serving under Kadyrov was a better idea. The actual Chechens for the most part stay far away from the fighting except acting in the role of barrier troops once every two weeks at best. They spend the rest of their time looting abandoned homes and stealing from the locals. OSINT community were talking about it last week.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

E. Dumb

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/WHOUkraine/status/1686346505991446529?s=20

Vladimir Putin continues to be a real piece of poo poo.

Maybe Amnesty International can do another piece of stellar reporting work, and condemn the Ukrainian government for using hospitals to treat civilians and therefore forcing Russia to bomb them.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 2, 2023

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

fatherboxx posted:

Ukrainian is fairly easy to understand to native Russian speakers.

Ukrainians would have trouble to parse speech and communication from Chechens, Buryats or other minorities in Russian ranks but i dont think Russians make significant attempts to create 100% regional/ethnic units or employ codetalkers.

Like most colonized regions proficiency in Russian was enforced in Chechnya (lol at "native Russian speaker")

There are something like 160 mother tongues amongst the areas conquered by the Imperial Russians and then Soviets, and there is sometimes an effort to 'reclaim' that language (like you see in, say, Ukraine). But I doubt there is much miscommunication between Ukrainians and anyone in the RuAF

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Victis posted:

(lol at "native Russian speaker")

If a person spoke Russian from childhood and uses it daily pretty sure they are a native Russian speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mobby_6kl posted:

They should do more of those. Seems like a bunch got himarsed yesterday on Dzharylhach island too in Kherson

That's the one, some good coverage in Reporting From Russia's daily update,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EJ5m9xpXQ