Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
got a new headset this week and for some reason Steam seems to hate it. all other software (which admittedly is just voip stuff + windows built in tools) picks it up fine, but even when I manually select the mic from the dropdown in Steam it just won't pick up any audio. this is the headset in case it matters, the DROP + EPOS PC38X gaming headset. it's the first time in like 20 years i've used a non-USB headset so maybe it's something there that's messing it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
try going into the windows sound settings and disabling "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".
it might be your voip software is hogging it while you're in steam

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just recently beat Deadlink (at least on the default difficulty) and had a blast! Didn't even need to put that many runs into it to get that far, most likely because Doom Eternal is one of my favorite games and this might as well be Doom Eternal: Roguelite edition, so a lot of that skill transferred over, especially since I beat it as the soldier shell which may as well be the doom marine. Definitely consider grabbing it if you love Doom Eternal and other fast-paced boomer shooters! If you're like me, you might already have it on your account from a past bundle when it was in its early access state.

Only complaints I have at the moment is that:

1) It does have metaprogression which I know can be a sticking point for some people, especially since, while it is mostly for widening the room completion reward pool and getting new character classes, there are also some slight permanent statistical upgrades (more damage, more armor, more credits, etc) that can make it feel unfair to be limited on your first runs. It didn't feel that bad to me, but hey, it can be a preference thing, and its true that usually I prefer it not be there. They also did update it from early access to give you some upgrades right from the start to give a more fair experience: for example, they used to lock away max ammo behind meta, but now it's part of your starter kit.

2) The final boss had not only a terrible voice actor that sounded like they just got someone's family member to do it for free, but was constantly spouting memes like "here I am again, like your own reflection in a hall of mirrors" and "nanomachines, son" and so on and so forth. I dunno, just felt incredibly awkward. I guess you could argue it's intentional to make fun of people in power as being out-of-touch? I suppose it did make me really want to kill them.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256960361/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690472847

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 2, 2023

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
you know how Steam says "unlocks in xyz hours" on a game's release day? wish they'd do the same for leaving EA (thinking about BG3)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you know how Steam says "unlocks in xyz hours" on a game's release day? wish they'd do the same for leaving EA (thinking about BG3)

Yeah, I was wondering exactly when it comes out so I went to the store page and "October 2020" isn't particularly useful. :mad:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Rockpapershotgun says 8 pacific/11 eastern Thursday
Which is the standard time.

e: for others wondering

US West: 8am PDT (August 3rd)
US East: 11am EDT (August 3rd)
Rio De Janeiro: 12pm BRT (August 3rd)
London: 4pm BST (August 3rd)
Berlin: 5pm CEST (August 3rd)
Kuala Lumpur: 11pm MYT (August 3rd)
Tokyo: 12am JST (August 4th)
Syndey: 1am AEST (August 4th)
Auckland: 3am NZST (August 4th)

e2: loving hell, I just installed it in the hopes it would update quicker, but RPS/Larian says to uninstall and delete saves beforehand
No preloading here

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/delete-your-baldurs-gate-3-early-access-saves-and-uninstall-the-game-say-larian
https://twitter.com/baldursgate3/status/1686386511414169600

OgNar fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 2, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh, Adam smith from rps is the lead writer, he was p deece iirc.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

try going into the windows sound settings and disabling "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".
it might be your voip software is hogging it while you're in steam

I presume that you can do that with controllers as well, right? There are some games which play fine with M/KB, and I would not always want games to force me onto a controller if one gets plugged in.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

good news, battlefield is going to become even worse

https://twitter.com/BFBulletin/status/1686488813009272833

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The 7th Guest posted:

what on earth does that mean? more microtransactions or what?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
War... war never changes... because of the immutability of the blockchain.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
sounds like some live service bs. maybe like CoD with PvE modes and stuff

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GaaS, Gaas, GaaS! I'm gonna step on the GaaS!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

err posted:

sounds like some live service bs. maybe like CoD with PvE modes and stuff

Battlefield 2042 is already a PvE game because only bots play it anymore

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i remember when i played battlefield 1942 back in the day i always wished it was a trully connected ecosystem. can't believe my battledreams are finally coming true

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Are they gonna try the thing The Division tried where you can log onto the game on your smartphone and play a dumber version of the game alongside your friends?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
They mean you can now be hit from a sniper from undersea or space

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FutureCop posted:

Just recently beat Deadlink (at least on the default difficulty) and had a blast! Didn't even need to put that many runs into it to get that far, most likely because Doom Eternal is one of my favorite games and this might as well be Doom Eternal: Roguelite edition, so a lot of that skill transferred over, especially since I beat it as the soldier shell which may as well be the doom marine. Definitely consider grabbing it if you love Doom Eternal and other fast-paced boomer shooters! If you're like me, you might already have it on your account from a past bundle when it was in its early access state.

Only complaints I have at the moment is that:

1) It does have metaprogression which I know can be a sticking point for some people, especially since, while it is mostly for widening the room completion reward pool and getting new character classes, there are also some slight permanent statistical upgrades (more damage, more armor, more credits, etc) that can make it feel unfair to be limited on your first runs. It didn't feel that bad to me, but hey, it can be a preference thing, and its true that usually I prefer it not be there. They also did update it from early access to give you some upgrades right from the start to give a more fair experience: for example, they used to lock away max ammo behind meta, but now it's part of your starter kit.

2) The final boss had not only a terrible voice actor that sounded like they just got someone's family member to do it for free, but was constantly spouting memes like "here I am again, like your own reflection in a hall of mirrors" and "nanomachines, son" and so on and so forth. I dunno, just felt incredibly awkward. I guess you could argue it's intentional to make fun of people in power as being out-of-touch? I suppose it did make me really want to kill them.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256960361/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690472847

I mean to be fair if you made the richest rear end in a top hat in the world the final boss of reality today they would in fact have a terrible voice and spout memes nonstop.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be fair if you made the richest rear end in a top hat in the world the final boss of reality today they would in fact have a terrible voice and spout memes nonstop.

Elon Musk's tweets perfectly encapsulate point #2.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Goa Tse-tung posted:

In one of the recent news posts they included a handy image showing exactly what time it will be when it releases:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ragequit posted:

Elon Musk's tweets perfectly encapsulate point #2.

:thejoke:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Oh boy, if I had a dollar every time I wished a video game was a more connected ecosystem...

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ymgve posted:

Are they gonna try the thing The Division tried where you can log onto the game on your smartphone and play a dumber version of the game alongside your friends?

they had that in BF4. You could use your tablet/smart phone to connect as a commander and issue orders to squad leaders and drop supplies. It was kinda fun honestly

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ah yes, the last Battlefield launched in an abysmal state and everyone hated it let's just commit to making the next one somehow worse so we can squeeze as much money from these rubes as possible

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Introducing: Battlefield NEXT Army Green and Battlefield NEXT Battleship Grey. Each version features exclusive classes you can trade with your friends!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

just give me a battlefield where you're all tiny toy soldiers

thanks

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Mr.Acula posted:

just give me a battlefield where you're all tiny toy soldiers

thanks

This would be amazing

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

they had that in BF4. You could use your tablet/smart phone to connect as a commander and issue orders to squad leaders and drop supplies. It was kinda fun honestly

Yeah that was actually super fun.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How was Battlefield 2042 anyway? I played it during an open beta, did like two rounds, uninstalled. The last time I really played BF for an extended period was BF4, which was decent enough but I just played the dumb metro high ticket max player servers. But the last time I really had legitimate fun in a battlefield game was Bad Company 2 with the game type where you had to arm bombs in order to push the front lines. I also have fond memories of Strike at Kirkland and Wake Island 32v32 on BF2.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

buglord posted:

How was Battlefield 2042 anyway? I played it during an open beta, did like two rounds, uninstalled. The last time I really played BF for an extended period was BF4, which was decent enough but I just played the dumb metro high ticket max player servers. But the last time I really had legitimate fun in a battlefield game was Bad Company 2 with the game type where you had to arm bombs in order to push the front lines. I also have fond memories of Strike at Kirkland and Wake Island 32v32 on BF2.

Goons who still play it will insist it's a lot better now but when I tried a free weekend recently it still felt weirdly floaty and unappealing. Last BF I played was BF1, which is also probably my favourite.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
BF1 was my last favorite because I have painful vivid memories of dying from people I never saw. It seems that BF1 was a goon favorite but I was extremely, shockingly bad at it it compared to the other titles. Skill issue, I know :(

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The guns and shooting in BF1 felt terrible. I know people like how aesthetics (though I am not sure how it felt like WW1) but the shooting part was bad. it's one thing 2042 has going for it really, but I play Battlebit these days which feels better than both.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
The very best multiplayer was Modern Warfare 2 in 2009. Black Ops 2 comes pretty close. If you have an XBox, matchmaking has been turned on again for both, so dust off your old games and go have fun!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

The very best multiplayer was Modern Warfare 2 in 2009. Black Ops 2 comes pretty close. If you have an XBox, matchmaking has been turned on again for both, so dust off your old games and go have fun!

No, simply on the grounds of it being the death of dedicated servers and a ton of hackers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

Oof, not a good sign they learned the right lessons

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

Uh oh

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Battlebit is legitimately the best Battlefield game in like a decade

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Battlebit is neat but feels distinctly different from Battlefield, to me. BF2042 is actually pretty okay now and can be played for free if you have PC gamepass. in their defense they supported the hell out of this game that I thought would be completely abandoned. It at least doesn't run like dogshit anymore which it certainly did during the beta.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

buglord posted:

I also have fond memories of Strike at Kirkland...

We are losing Aisle 4, Costco Sector! Don't let the enemy get their hands on those Kirkland Jeans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

Already right off the bat this screams red flag.