Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Canuckistan posted:

I've been playing Darkwood on Gamepass. Seems like a fun horror survival game .
I wouldn't describe Darkwood as a survival simulation game like most titles in this thread, but I do think it's incredibly good. Easily among my top 5 horror games of all time, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Canuckistan posted:

I've been playing Darkwood on Gamepass. Seems like a fun horror survival game .

I couldn’t get myself to finish the game, but I thought the intro was pretty neat. ”what terrible creature do I have locked up in the back room?” Then a few minutes later “ohhhh” I think I would have beaten it if it didn’t have any survival/crafting mechanics. I believe I had started playing it after a minecraft binge so any amount of that was already exhausting to me. I watched MandaloreGamings full review for it and I regret not seeing it through.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
ive tried to beat darkwood like 9 times and every time i get bored, which is a shame

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dark wood is one of those games that is very cool stylistically but when it comes to playing it as a game it's very opaque. They are going for a "find it as you explore" souls-like game path but the problem is that harsh survival mechanics and mandatory wandering of the forests hoping to come across something plot relevant do not go hand in hand.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Verviticus posted:

ive tried to beat darkwood like 9 times and every time i get bored, which is a shame

yeah imo it sucked to play and I got fed up with it by the second map. I found it way too tedious to have a good setup to survive the night. Protip: There aren't actually any meaningful downsides to dying

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I abandoned Darkwood when I got to the third act, I think, a swamp iirc, and those zergling fucker things kept appearing, I just didn't have the firepower or ammo to keep killing them. Feels like I missed something crucial earlier but idk what.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
yeah i have to agree. i got to the third before giving up. cool idea, mediocre execution

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I must have made it to the third one then, if the intro is the first

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Whoa, stationers has been in EA for a long time. I filter my stuff so EA doesn't show up I'm kinda shocked I've missed that one.
A few questions:
a- Any plans to just 1.0 it and call it good?
b- is it EA in all but name? IE it's a full game with no major bugs?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

chainchompz posted:

Whoa, stationers has been in EA for a long time. I filter my stuff so EA doesn't show up I'm kinda shocked I've missed that one.
A few questions:

a) They're still putting out semi-regular updates, I haven't been following the forums or the dev's posts/tweets/whatever but not that I'm aware of.
b) It's pretty much a full game. I think multiplayer might still have some issues but they had a big update a while back where they made some major improvements to it and it's supposed to be better now. There's a lot of content and I haven't run into any major bugs recently, put in 20-30+ hours not too long ago.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

chainchompz posted:

A few questions:

It's a labour of insanity.

It still feels very EA and just got a big update that completely changes how gases/liquids/solids are handled with phase changes. I'd say it's 3/4 of a game with no truly major bugs but also just kind of a game that's perpetually EA so :shrug: There's no story or campaign or anything and the environments can feel very sterile but that's kind of the point - you build your base up from scratch and try not to blow it up in the process while overcoming environmental hazards (if applicable)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Stationeers is the best thing Dean "DayZ guy" Hall has ever been involved with.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I used this guy's video series to learn the basics of getting a base up and going on Mars, it's a couple years old now but they were still applicable when I last played:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W55domfT24

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU2HTdReBtvLrqiYGz9AhfWGVchMTZPuD

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

beats for junkies posted:

Stationeers is the best thing Dean "DayZ guy" Hall has ever been involved with.

I like Icarus a lot. I just think the main gameplay loop needs some work so you can roll over more tools etc, but they're becoming more open to what the community wants rather than their grand vision over the last 12 months, it's turning into a pretty decent..finally..

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Cowabunga then. Thanks for the answers.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

I like Icarus a lot. I just think the main gameplay loop needs some work so you can roll over more tools etc, but they're becoming more open to what the community wants rather than their grand vision over the last 12 months, it's turning into a pretty decent..finally..

I’m very impressed with their update cadence with Icarus. If nothing else they do deserve credit for that.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I suppose this is just aimed at anyone thinking of trying the game, but I'm going to be the dissenting opinion and say that I really love Darkwood's execution and thought the exploration was good. I liked surviving the nights and I liked slowly fleshing out the map finding points of interest. The game always made it feel worth taking the time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Rynoto posted:

It's a labour of insanity.

It still feels very EA and just got a big update that completely changes how gases/liquids/solids are handled with phase changes. I'd say it's 3/4 of a game with no truly major bugs but also just kind of a game that's perpetually EA so :shrug: There's no story or campaign or anything and the environments can feel very sterile but that's kind of the point - you build your base up from scratch and try not to blow it up in the process while overcoming environmental hazards (if applicable)

Playing it feels like a labour of insanity too.

I was wondering why there were so few guides using the in-game logic chips, then realised it's because people use the completely in-game low level assembly language to code their own programs and mostly ignore the chips themselves.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

How much you like HVAC is directly proportional to how much you will like Stationeers.

e: I don’t mean this as tongue in cheek as it sounds. Literally you are mostly designing hvac

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed

Anime Store Adventure posted:

How much you like HVAC is directly proportional to how much you will like Stationeers.

e: I don’t mean this as tongue in cheek as it sounds. Literally you are mostly designing hvac

Also setting up power grids, programming logic chips to automate processes (or as mentioned above, using the in-game programming language to do it), and dialing in the right temperature and pressure to smelt advanced ores (failure to do this gives you useless lumps that you have to shove into a recycler to break them back down into their component parts).

It's a very systems-driven game and the systems seem mostly realistic, even if they might not be the actual real-world values all the time. It hits a lot of the same notes for me that Oxygen Not Included does, except you have to build everything yourself and I don't think you can poop in a reservoir.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 2, 2023

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

beats for junkies posted:

Also setting up power grids, programming logic chips to automate processes (or as mentioned above, using the in-game programming language to do it), and dialing in the right temperature and pressure to smelt advanced ores (failure to do this gives you useless lumps that you have to shove into a recycler to break them back down into their component parts).

It's a very systems-driven game and the systems seem mostly realistic, even if they might not be the actual real-world values all the time. It hits a lot of the same notes for me that Oxygen Not Included does, except you have to build everything yourself and I don't think you can poop in a reservoir.

Agreed, I mean I love it but its because it really hits a great niche of being just deep enough that the systems matter and can potentially fail in interesting ways that you have to account for. That said if you aren't predisposed to "I want to design a robust system" there really isn't a game for you. You can definitely do a lot of neato things with it, but I'd put it much more in the Niche Sims thread than the survival thread in a very technical sense.

It's "EA state" is weird. It feels pretty complete, but then very certain things are clearly unfinished tendrils left in the game (the "new game plus" rocket, rovers.) I think the core loops are pretty fleshed out and there's a decent grip if you like what its offering and I would posit it's more "perpetual development" than true "EA" if you like what it offers.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My issue with Darkwood is i'm really bad at top down games. I dunno why, the perspective just throws me off. I had trouble with Hotline Miami and Binding of Issac for the same reason.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

My issue with Darkwood is i'm really bad at top down games. I dunno why, the perspective just throws me off. I had trouble with Hotline Miami and Binding of Issac for the same reason.

I still haven't beat Synthetik, despite a whole lot of trying. :(

It counts as a survival sim, cause I'm trying to survive all those fuckin boolets.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Macichne Leainig posted:

I’m very impressed with their update cadence with Icarus. If nothing else they do deserve credit for that.

Yes, I have to agree, they've really been committed to it. I've not played much since before the last big update, the Galileo one, so I'm not entirely sure what state the game is currently in, however, I'm looking forward to their next big update later this month. Looks like actual alien biomes and alien creatures this time which I'm really excited about. So I will be absolutely checking that out with my wife when it's released.

We just need to pull ourselves away from 7d2d and diablo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Here is a screenshot of me playing Stationeers.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Woah I forgot I even bought that because at launch it was pretty terrible, with constant wolves spawning on my doorstep (wherever I put that doorstep) and bugs out the wazoo, plus it seemed almost impossible to do things alone - took forever to even build a basic house and tools when splitting time between harvesting, exploring and so on.

Did they go back on the "permadeath" thing where if you can't go online and finish a mission before the timer expires you lose everything, character progress included, and/or finally implemented the game mode where you can just build without time pressure? Is single-player viable now?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So the timer is now no longer realtime, it's ingame. So some missions have short 8 hour timers or so, some have insanely long timers of like 30 hours.

Everything is client side now too, so you can mod the game easily to get all the "special space tools" right away and no long have to spend loving weeks grinding to get a better axe at the start of each mission.

But the bore "rougelite survival" thing is still there. There's some missions you fail when you die and lose your poo poo, each new mission is a new start, building a new base etc which means its annoying to get to the end of the tech tree.

But they're making adjustments, they're on update 80 something of weekly updates, iterations etc, adding new content, changing mechanics and balancing etc. It feels good the last time I played a few months ago, I will be playing when the next expansion comes out on the 24th, which means there's gonna 3 huge loving maps to mess about in, all with different wildlife and biomes etc.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Oh yeah, there's also a survival, non mission mode where you can just dick around and save your progress forever and I think it's more like a traditional survival game then, but you can also leave anytime you want and go do the story stuff too

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

sounds nice and worth a retry :) thanks!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Roguelite survival seems like the most surefire way to guarantee that your players will hate base building and never want to create a cool or aesthetically pleasing base, ever.
The no-brainer solution is to have the world reset except for your base. So you have a permanent base in a pocket dimension or that gets podded down to you and swooped back up in some kinda stasis capsule every time you deploy. Then it would feel worth customizing and teching up.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vib Rib posted:

Roguelite survival seems like the most surefire way to guarantee that your players will hate base building and never want to create a cool or aesthetically pleasing base, ever.
The no-brainer solution is to have the world reset except for your base. So you have a permanent base in a pocket dimension or that gets podded down to you and swooped back up in some kinda stasis capsule every time you deploy. Then it would feel worth customizing and teching up.

Yes I agree, that was a lot of people's original complaint coupled with how grindy it can be.

Their solution was 2 fold, first is there's now a open world, timer free survival mode on each map that's persistent even if you "leave" and go to orbit to do missions etc.

The other is a kind of private mini map server where you can just build a nice base and make it really pretty etc and that's the only thing to do there.

I'm a base builder personally, it's why I love survival games. I feel like long term they'll address the issue better, at least I hope so. Because it's such a pretty game and I enjoy spelunking etc and taking on the raid mode stuff too, just want persistent bases in mission mode or better weapons/guns I can take to in just speed run the missions.

They've got some prototypes for vehicles etc in the code and I've seen videos where they're modular etc. They've got some great ideas if they can get people playing again

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Did they fix the issue where you couldn't save your game if the servers went down?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The weird granularity in Stationeers stems from that it was originally developed as a 3d version of Space Station 13. It's also why there are tons of useless things in the game like guns, clothes, and cooking.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Arven posted:

The weird granularity in Stationeers stems from that it was originally developed as a 3d version of Space Station 13. It's also why there are tons of useless things in the game like guns, clothes, and cooking.

I wouldn't call cooking pointless, it's more useful than in some survival games, less useful than others. It's not particularly good though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The next big Icarus core update (not the weekly updates, and not the upcoming paid expansion) will be fully integrating the open world system into the mission system. So if you want, you can at last have the best of both worlds. You can build a persistent base in the open world and then launch the actual big game missions from inside it (provided you're on Olympus, Styx, or the new zone) without having to do the mad scramble and lowtech bumrush that the missions usually devolve into. It should be real good.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

mrmcd posted:

Did they fix the issue where you couldn't save your game if the servers went down?

In Icarus? Everything is client side now. Their servers don't host anything at all. They did it to allow people to host their own servers like they wanted and to open up modding to the game

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Vasudus posted:

The next big Icarus core update (not the weekly updates, and not the upcoming paid expansion) will be fully integrating the open world system into the mission system. So if you want, you can at last have the best of both worlds. You can build a persistent base in the open world and then launch the actual big game missions from inside it (provided you're on Olympus, Styx, or the new zone) without having to do the mad scramble and lowtech bumrush that the missions usually devolve into. It should be real good.

Oh poo poo that actually sounds amazing then..I've not kept up to date obviously with everything, but that's everything you could possibly want from the game minus new offworld gear and vehicles. Riding a moa is fun and all but I'd rather have a dune buggy or something that didn't die to wolves on the regular.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
On the note of Stationeers, I recommend the Plants & Nutrition mod, it fiddles with the numbers to make greenhouses more real projects and food an actual problem, while actually making the 'depleting bars' issue less severe (Your bars go down much much more slowly compared to base, you just need much more food/water to fill them back up). With the phase changes update they added transpiration for the plants, which is cool.

Though it's one of those mods where you need to join a bespoke discord to grab a singular file to make it work right, and also requires a modloader and editing game-files, so not as easy as just hitting subscribe to get it to work.

I also always run with whichever of the 'each ore node gives a full stack' mod happens to be working at the time, since mining currently isn't really the fun part of the game.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Peer-reviewed
SCUM finally has new enemies with new AI, and it looks like one of them is a Terminator who can't be killed, only slowed/stunned. They also changed up how Bunkers work and added the other new enemy type to them, a less-powerful Terminator (they can be killed, at least) with blades who likes to pin you down.

They also finally got around to the male body rework to match the female one they did last year(?). Oddly enough, the splash screen for this update isn't a bunch of scantily-clad dudes with their abs on display and their dicks barely covered, like the one for the female update (which they quietly removed and replaced with the 0.1 generic "dude in orange jumpsuit with AK" one). I mean, the women didn't have dicks, but they were definitely scantily-clad.

I haven't played it since they did the big vehicle overhaul and removed the hunting stores from the big city up north (and probably the one on Z Island, but I'm not as familiar with that city), and I've just been kind of waiting for an update to announce something that will draw me back in. Cooking didn't do it, though I've been waiting for that for a while.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
SCUM was interesting in theory but just too overwhelming in detail. Highlight of my experience was drinking too much wine, having to go to the bathroom then getting ambushed by a zombie while sitting on the toilet :gonk: