Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

They are films about how global warming/climate change is just elitist propaganda. That kind of turned me off on it. :shrug:

The villain's plan in the first movie is to kill most of the world's population in order to stop climate change, which he earnestly believes is happening, and the movie gives no indication that he's wrong. That seems like the opposite of presenting climate change as just elitist propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sir Kodiak posted:

The villain's plan in the first movie is to kill most of the world's population in order to stop climate change, which he earnestly believes is happening, and the movie gives no indication that he's wrong. That seems like the opposite of presenting climate change as just elitist propaganda.

I could be misreading it. I'd be less wary of the intentions if they didn't do the whole Lenin and Hitler team-up.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Last time I caught Kingsman on TV just recently, I was struck by it having a faint patina...of douchbaggery. Like, it moves fast, the action is great, music is good, the acting wry and interesting, and its all in service of upholding middle aged white dudes in fancy suits as the ideal. Deaths are nasty, people are expendable (including women students that are on the good guy's side), you're really supposed to just focus on this rad suit dude showing up chavs, and everyone else. It left a kinda bad taste in my mouth. The movie is mean

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Shageletic posted:

The movie is mean

It's based on a Mark Millar comic so it's par for the course. Dude is possibly the most nihilistic, insufferable edgelord in comics.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like that it’s mean. It’s a fun send up on the nasty elements of the bond franchise. Maybe that’s why I love it because all the problematic elements are just bond tropes cranked up to 11.

Also Valentine’s plan is very evil and bad because murdering vast amounts of people in hopes of saving the world is bad and stupid

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Slotducks posted:

whys it look so bad?
Cuz it sucks poo poo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

thrawn527 posted:

Can't tell if you're joking or directly referencing the end credit scene to The King's Man, but in case anyone missed it, it was really quite something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H_sehK_RDk

what in the hell

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

what in the hell

The movie also posits that pretty much every revolutionary group of the early 20th century was in cahoots.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

thrawn527 posted:

Can't tell if you're joking or directly referencing the end credit scene to The King's Man, but in case anyone missed it, it was really quite something.

Why does this look like worse than a Command and Conquer cutscene from 1993?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Carpet posted:

Why does this look like worse than a Command and Conquer cutscene from 1993?

I'm not clicking on it, but from the thumbnail I can tell it's one of those click-harvesting channels that reuploads movie trailers and clips. They sometimes resample the video to get around copyright auto-detection, is my assumption. Though the movies are terrible and they could just look bad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bring back Command & Conquer with the live action cutscenes that had name actors in them.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

It's when Vladdy Met Adolf!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

CelticPredator posted:

I like that it’s mean. It’s a fun send up on the nasty elements of the bond franchise. Maybe that’s why I love it because all the problematic elements are just bond tropes cranked up to 11.

Also Valentine’s plan is very evil and bad because murdering vast amounts of people in hopes of saving the world is bad and stupid

The first one teeters just barely on the acceptable side of meanness, and really leans into being fun and goofy enough to take the edge off. The second one went way over the line to the extent where I was cringing in the theater.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC even Taron has said that he absolutely hated doing the fingerbang scene and tried to get Matthew Vaughn to change it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Mat Cauthon posted:

The first one teeters just barely on the acceptable side of meanness, and really leans into being fun and goofy enough to take the edge off. The second one went way over the line to the extent where I was cringing in the theater.

So, ...a distinctly British brand of fascist movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mat Cauthon posted:

Agreed. I hated the second one. Although i did very much like pedro pascal. But that’s it. The kings man was even worse. They straight forgot the series is supposed to be a comedy

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Yeah, The King's Man was one of those remarkably dull movies that don't give you anything to feel invested in. That and the Assassin's Creed movie are two peas in a pod.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
there are assassins creed movies??

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

One, starring Michael Fassbender as the main character. He and the director did it to get their Macbeth movie funded.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Matthew Vaugh ran Tory fundraisers lol

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

The Peccadillo posted:

Dead City seemed okay but it got pretty boring pretty quick. It's Lauren Cohen and Jeffrey Dean Morgan going to save her son from some guy that kidnapped him to New York. There seems to be a lot of prologue to it from the original show I havent seen. Last thing I saw was a season where Jeffrey Dean Morgan beat Lauren Cohen's husbands brains out infront of her but I guess they're tentatively cool now somehow. Both good actors!

World Beyond is about the future where everything's kinda fine in these walled cities but some kids go outside for some reason, awful, Fear the Walking Dead was about the outbreak, also awful. Haven't seen the others

The OG series was pretty terrible for most of the middle seasons but once Angela Kang took over, the show was GOOD.

Fear was consistently entertaining from season 3 to when Nick Stahl showed up and died.

world beyond sucked rear end but it ties to the overarching story and various plot points through the series. Plus it gives Jadis character developement.

Tales was hit or miss.

Dead City was marketed as a one and done, ended on a cliffhanger and got renewed…I liked it wel enough.

The ones who live and Dixon haven’t come out yet .

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fatherboxx posted:

Matthew Vaugh ran Tory fundraisers lol

He sucks which sucks because he was one of my favorites and does action in such a cool way. But after kingsman 2 and 3 being such trash whatever. I’m good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, The King's Man was one of those remarkably dull movies that don't give you anything to feel invested in. That and the Assassin's Creed movie are two peas in a pod.

It does have the really weird character arc where Ralph Fiennes starts out as an avowed pacifist who decides that actually violence is totally awesome and the solution to every problem.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Collapsing Farts posted:

l worked on it and I didn't even watch it myself

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

what in the hell

I love showing people this clip for the first time.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

thrawn527 posted:

The only funny joke in the whole second movie. What a bad movie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s the third movie!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Here's a better upload of the clip with a needed creative edit:

https://twitter.com/joaohugopires/status/1563273926800965632?s=61&t=mviL_s0u4gafGPU-NCFS4Q

(Sorry, I just find applying that dumb meme to this to be hilarious)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

kiimo posted:

I watched it and you made the right decision.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I haven't watched King's Man but from the wikipedia page it's about a globe-spanning, war-starting, deeply entrenched and powerful ancient conspiracy all working together for...Scotch independence?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The MSJ posted:

One, starring Michael Fassbender as the main character. He and the director did it to get their Macbeth movie funded.

Don’t think this is true. Macbeth was already underway when Ubisoft approached Fassbender and offered to make him both producer and lead. The announcement that Fassbender made the deal came after Macbeth’s release and Fassbender then asked Kurzel to direct because he liked working with him.

On top of the timelines not matching, the production companies are completely different. Not sure why StudioCanal would pay for Macbeth because Fassbender did a video game movie with New Regency.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

kiimo posted:

So who was the most proud of turning the animus from a fancy bed into an articulated rig

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They did add the movie to the game's canon, mostly through just outside of the animus codex text.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kingsman is just edgy. One of the reasons I preferred Man from UNCLE even though none of it's action scenes were as memorable.

muscles like this! posted:

It does have the really weird character arc where Ralph Fiennes starts out as an avowed pacifist who decides that actually violence is totally awesome and the solution to every problem.

This was also the really weird character arc for the Mr. T character in the A Team movie, if anyone remembers.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Mantis42 posted:

Kingsman is just edgy. One of the reasons I preferred Man from UNCLE even though none of it's action scenes were as memorable.

This was also the really weird character arc for the Mr. T character in the A Team movie, if anyone remembers.

He embraced violence and went to Thailand to compete in Fight Circus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwjB_5Xz6so

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: whoops nevermind

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

The scene where Cavill eats a sandwich while Hammer fights off bad guys off screen is pretty great. Ritchie makes a lot of mediocre movies but they're usually pretty entertaining. He also wrote and a directed a scene where Jason Statham said "Suck your own dick" before killing a guy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

live with fruit posted:

The scene where Cavill eats a sandwich while Hammer fights off bad guys off screen is pretty great. Ritchie makes a lot of mediocre movies but they're usually pretty entertaining. He also wrote and a directed a scene where Jason Statham said "Suck your own dick" before killing a guy.

Jason Statham owns. Almost every movie I've seen him in is watchable. Except for Ghosts of Mars. That movie is most definitely not good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Wrong. Ghosts of Mars is good. The bad Statham movie is hobbes n shaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The only things I remember from Ghosts of Mars are Nicolette Sheridan and Jason Statham fight-flirting and the ghosts walking very slowly through the desolate Martian landscape.

I haven't seen Hobbes and Shaw, but that's more because I'm over The Rock.