Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Google Jeb Bush posted:

if they'd taken down those two dudes like I habitually do they wouldn't be in that mess
sure but then i wouldn't have an extra-lean saso kill using only a sieker like i planned, i'd just have a regular saso where i safely knock a bunch of people out then make the actual kill super complicated and risky for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

47, it kind of defeats the purpose of making their death look like a hilarious accident if you publicly announce that you're going to kill them!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
47, that was botulinum toxin. You probably shouldn't have injected it into your face.

Dimitri Vegas was also recently added to Mortal Kombat 11 as a DLC skin of Sub-Zero with his own voiced lines. My understanding is they are remarkably terribly acted. I guess there's some sort of PR push happening for the poor guy.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

That was at least a year ago, seems pretty spread out for a marketing push but I can't think of any other reason why this guy I've never heard of before keeps showing up in my games. All I remember about his Sub Zero is that it was so bad you would only pick it if you wanted to troll people. Maybe he's got a thing for being horribly murdered in videogames?

Also does the poison syringe no longer let you get away with having the body found? Blew my SA on one of the ETs :argh:

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Nice Van My Man posted:

Also does the poison syringe no longer let you get away with having the body found? Blew my SA on one of the ETs :argh:

There must be something else going on there, poison should not break SA. Did you move the body?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

That is a blueberry muffin, 47. Use it to defy gravity.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Given it a chance, but glad to come to the thread and see broad agreement that Freelancer sucks. Punishments are much too hard, especially since they usually come out of it straight up cheating with someone IDing me through a wall without me even pulling a weapon out. Can barely even hold onto a silenced pistol.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

BizarroAzrael posted:

Given it a chance, but glad to come to the thread and see broad agreement that Freelancer sucks. Punishments are much too hard, especially since they usually come out of it straight up cheating with someone IDing me through a wall without me even pulling a weapon out. Can barely even hold onto a silenced pistol.

It's really fun actually. I think it's the first and only (so far) truly successful rogue like im-sim implementation and I expect to play it forever. This may be because I don't care about cheevos so I don't have to do masochistic skinner box bs

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't see that broad agreement at all. The vast majority of the regular posters in the thread are either playing it or have played it a lot and just burned out. Everyone has things they gripe about, but as a whole it's a great time.

Edit: And other than being buggy, I don't think the regular mode is too punishing at all. It's just a very different experience from the main game and you can't expect to steamroll it out of the gate.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 2, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

The way that I played it, and maybe this isn't fun for everyone, is that I didn't acquire the weapons(like the silenced pistols) and then use/lose them and periodically have to spend money to rebuy them. Instead I focused on earning money without ever risking any of my weapons, and when I had 20k or 30k to spend I'd then buy another weapon, rinse and repeat until I'd completely filled up the weapon wall.

At that point, with the weapon wall 100% complete, I then could start freely using the weapons and not worrying about losing one here or there. So I sort of played the game in two phases, one where I was totally focused on just collecting weapons, and then the second phase where I started using the collected weapons to complete the more specific challenges and the prestige challenges.

I'm a little above lvl 80 now, and yea I think once I hit lvl 100 that's probably it for me with this mode but I've put a ton of time into and it and had a lot of fun with it so you won't hear any complaints from me.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I had a hard time with it at first, but I came to enjoy it more as the house opened up and I was able to take a few more handy freebies into each level. Another big thing was that I started to learn about the potential targets in each level. Some of them are a bit bollocks regardless, but once you're aware of that, you can prepare as appropriate. I sympathise with you losing a silenced pistol, that felt crushing in the early stages.

Some of it is definitely a bit wonky, so I don't have much of a problem using workarounds (ie closing the game and restarting) if it's really leaning in that direction, though I don't do it very often. New York seems to be the worst map for being spotted through walls for me, though I don't play Colorado very much and that's usually said to be the worst in general for this sort of thing. I usually try to avoid it (and Mumbai) after the first two stages of a campaign for this reason. Overall, I think it's a good mode, as I think most do here, but I do also think that some of the punishments could maybe be a bit more forgiving, if only to accommodate for bugs etc.

EDIT:

Basebf555 posted:

At that point, with the weapon wall 100% complete, I then could start freely using the weapons and not worrying about losing one here or there. So I sort of played the game in two phases, one where I was totally focused on just collecting weapons, and then the second phase where I started using the collected weapons to complete the more specific challenges and the prestige challenges.

I'm a little above lvl 80 now, and yea I think once I hit lvl 100 that's probably it for me with this mode but I've put a ton of time into and it and had a lot of fun with it so you won't hear any complaints from me.

This is how I approached it too. For the way I play it, I found that a good way to make money fairly quickly was to get a sieker early on and then concentrate on Big Pharma contracts. By doing that, I was able to rack up weapons very quickly. I can't remember when I completed my wall but it was quite some time ago, and I'm level 90 now. After that, I started concentrating on some of the more outlandish challenges and objectives, but only those I was happy to do. There are several that I will absolutely go nowhere near because they seem crap.

I'll probably stop at 100 too, for now at least. I was aware that progress moves REALLY slowly as you get up there, but it really starts to get a bit silly when you hit 89. You can complete all four objectives and it will still only move the length of a key on your PC keyboard. As mentioned before, most of the rewards kind of stink too - it's mostly useless cosmetic upgrades for the house or merces, which, if you're like me, are largely worthless at this point.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 2, 2023

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

What ? Freelancer is one of the best modes the game has to offer. After months of playing it it everyone has more or less "solved" it but the reception was almost unanimously positive. Just shed the bad habits that SA requirements have taught you, make some space for grenades, loud guns and explosive ducks into your heart (and inventory) and you will quickly find that regular freelancer is honestly not much of a challenge.

Hardcore is stupidly difficult but... that's the point I guess. :shrug:

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Freelancer is incredible, I love it. It's difficult, and it's rough to start out when you have no gear and not a ton of experience, but that's the point of rogue-likes, really.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing too that new players might not realize, when you do complete the weapon wall it causes you to accumulate merces faster because if there are no weapons left to give, you'll start getting chunks of merces in the reward crate for finishing syndicates. So it's never really a problem to replace the odd weapons here and there that you might lose. Just finishing the first two syndicates of a campaign gets you 25k merces.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It appears very likely that there was an original plan for Freelancer to use a shorter campaign or syndicate-based session design, at the end of which all freelancer tools were reset, and that it got grafted onto a deliberately time-abusing set of progression systems.

The mode's expected grind massively outpaces the amount of different targets and syndicate leader scenarios the mode can throw at you; the learning curve is very shallow compared to the expected time spent. The mode's reliance on mercers as the principal progression element loads pressure onto the randomized selection of bonus objectives, which aren't well-distributed in terms of reward. This same unified progression also loads heavily onto in-map sources of the progression currency, which are much too quickly optimized. For a roguelike mode to work well, the act of restarting should be relatively fast and painless; the materials the player retains and those the player loses are inconsistently punishing, and the mode's grind for money is structured to heavily push the player to take unnecessary risks.

All of this is made worse because this is a loss-punishing, long tail "endgame" mode; bugs that cause player failure (or which force circumvention through ending the game task) are especially inexcusable and harmful to the player experience. The hardcore mode is particularly ill-designed because a) prestige objectives vary between trivial gear checks and requirements that may actually be impossible, and b) its loss emphasis places an even greater burden on the game's systems functioning properly.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I'll probably stop at 100 too, for now at least. I was aware that progress moves REALLY slowly as you get up there, but it really starts to get a bit silly when you hit 89. You can complete all four objectives and it will still only move the length of a key on your PC keyboard. As mentioned before, most of the rewards kind of stink too - it's mostly useless cosmetic upgrades for the house or merces, which, if you're like me, are largely worthless at this point.

The 50% mark is at about level 82; the slope changes at 89, and the last 4 levels take as much XP as the first 40.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 2, 2023

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I think Freelancer overall is a successful growth of the Hitman model. Sure it's got some rough edges, and the Hardcore/Prestige options aren't worth the added difficulty. But overall I like it. It's a great coda for the World of Assassination.

Once again, IOI, I would 100% buy an annual expansion with a couple of maps and some shiny new guns. It doesn't have to be some big overarching meta-narrative. Just give me a rich rear end in a top hat somewhere pretty and a new way to make his life shorter.

ETA: The mod to take out the worst maps in Freelancer opens things up so much. Just cutting out Bangkok, Colorado, Marrakesh, and Mumbai means I'll never have to say "welp, that campaign's no good".

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 2, 2023

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Freelancer is great since I'm free from sneaking around the maps and feeling bad if I fail a silent assassin, now I can just go balls to the wall and blast my way in/out if things go south or I get some of the guard kill objectives.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Judge Tesla posted:

Freelancer is great since I'm free from sneaking around the maps and feeling bad if I fail a silent assassin, now I can just go balls to the wall and blast my way in/out if things go south or I get some of the guard kill objectives.

:hai:

It took me a while to rewire my brain to not always be at least trying to SA a mission, but it's real fun to get the greenlight to go loud sometimes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
After playing a lot of Freelancer I definitely now have a rolodex in my mind of the various locations on each map where I can retreat to and just mow down the endless waves of guards without having to worry about getting surrounded or attacked from behind. Typically it's a bathroom.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Speaking of cheevos, I actually just unlocked Cheese It and it wasn't even on purpose / for the trophy. I had a prestige to kill the leader with the Striker and all 4 suspects somehow matched all the visual clues and were part of the same network (which I've never had happen). I was like "gently caress this there's no way I'm going to follow all of you assholes around Hokkaido waiting for you to smoke" so I lured them into the sleeping quarters with a burner phone and went Yosemite Sam on their asses.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

KillHour posted:

Speaking of cheevos, I actually just unlocked Cheese It and it wasn't even on purpose / for the trophy. I had a prestige to kill the leader with the Striker and all 4 suspects somehow matched all the visual clues and were part of the same network (which I've never had happen). I was like "gently caress this there's no way I'm going to follow all of you assholes around Hokkaido waiting for you to smoke" so I lured them into the sleeping quarters with a burner phone and went Yosemite Sam on their asses.

I did this on my first showdown when I had no idea what I was doing. I used a burner phone to call the network into the piano room in Paris, then threw an explosive baseball at someone's head.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I have been making my way through each of the Hitman and H2 levels for the first time and having a blast, but there is one technical issue preventing me from putting more time into the game.

Occasionally, if I look at certain objects, I am greeted with what I can only describe as Tien's solar flare attack assaulting my eyes. It looks like a lens flare magnified by a thousand. I've been playing on an OLED at night and the Colombia level pushed me over the edge. Specifically, the light hanging from the ceiling in the hippie's place. I was trying to poison the bus souvenir and the entire time I was in the room, I had massive, bright white strobing any time I turned the camera. I have had a migraine for coming up on 3 days now because I pushed myself to keep playing instead of calling it quits.

I've tried all sorts of different versions of nvidia drivers, forcing vsync in nvidia control panel, and every other suggestion I found searching online. Restarting the game does not help. No variety of graphics settings toggles seems to affect it, either. Is there any way to fix this? I don't have a screenshot handy, but simply doing a google image search for "hitman 3" "blinding" shows several examples. Anyone have any advice for things to try? I have no history of photosensitivity, but the strobing lens flare is too much for me to handle. :(

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Every time that happens to me a simple restart fixes the issue. Reinstall your graphics drivers and if that doesn't work reinstall the game maybe?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Freelancer rules and has given me scores of extra hours in a game I'd already sunk hundreds into, it freshened things up in a really fun way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've seen more than one streamer with that issue but as far as I know it just cleared up on its own. I used to get it exclusively on Paris with the Neon Assassin suit but it cleared up after the january patch.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Well, poo poo. That doesn't bode well. I used DDU to wipe and do fresh installs of a few different driver versions, including the most recent. Restarting the game doesn't seem to have any positive effect and there weren't any jacked up files found by verifying the game cache. Even if I restart my computer entirely, the issue at least persists in the hippie's room. Miami and Sapienza didn't seem nearly as bad and I was able to navigate the environment without subliminally programming myself a la chuck bartowski. On the bright side, I seem to be fully trained in a variety of martial arts now.

I will give it another shot here in a day or two when my head isn't pounding. Thanks for the replies.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Bloodplay it again posted:

Well, poo poo. That doesn't bode well. I used DDU to wipe and do fresh installs of a few different driver versions, including the most recent. Restarting the game doesn't seem to have any positive effect and there weren't any jacked up files found by verifying the game cache. Even if I restart my computer entirely, the issue at least persists in the hippie's room. Miami and Sapienza didn't seem nearly as bad and I was able to navigate the environment without subliminally programming myself a la chuck bartowski. On the bright side, I seem to be fully trained in a variety of martial arts now.

I will give it another shot here in a day or two when my head isn't pounding. Thanks for the replies.

Be aware that there is another patch coming this month. I can't remember the specific date, but maybe wait until that drops and look at the patch notes?

Alternatively, submit a ticket to them here: https://ioisupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I guess I just don't like how they artificially increase the difficulty by having it cheat, going alert for no reason, seeing through walls, impossible conditions, all that. On the bank the robbers heard me through a wall/two doors to come find a body and kill my SA condition, it's literally breaking it's own rules, so what's the point?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
That's just the game being buggy as poo poo, it's not them cheating.
It would also happen in the normal campaign, but in the normal campaign, you don't put yourself into situations where this will happen as often

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had a hard time with it at first, but I came to enjoy it more as the house opened up and I was able to take a few more handy freebies into each level. Another big thing was that I started to learn about the potential targets in each level. Some of them are a bit bollocks regardless, but once you're aware of that, you can prepare as appropriate. I sympathise with you losing a silenced pistol, that felt crushing in the early stages.

Some of it is definitely a bit wonky, so I don't have much of a problem using workarounds (ie closing the game and restarting) if it's really leaning in that direction, though I don't do it very often. New York seems to be the worst map for being spotted through walls for me, though I don't play Colorado very much and that's usually said to be the worst in general for this sort of thing. I usually try to avoid it (and Mumbai) after the first two stages of a campaign for this reason. Overall, I think it's a good mode, as I think most do here, but I do also think that some of the punishments could maybe be a bit more forgiving, if only to accommodate for bugs etc.

EDIT:

This is how I approached it too. For the way I play it, I found that a good way to make money fairly quickly was to get a sieker early on and then concentrate on Big Pharma contracts. By doing that, I was able to rack up weapons very quickly. I can't remember when I completed my wall but it was quite some time ago, and I'm level 90 now. After that, I started concentrating on some of the more outlandish challenges and objectives, but only those I was happy to do. There are several that I will absolutely go nowhere near because they seem crap.

personally I don't think 'don't use the reward for accumulating tools' until you have most of them is good design, tbh.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

double nine posted:

personally I don't think 'don't use the reward for accumulating tools' until you have most of them is good design, tbh.

i think that guy's just OCD, once you learn a bit its trivially easy to get a silenced pistol and for random challenges like 'kill the target with an epic SMG' just...don't pick those challenges until you stumble across an epic SMG, silenced pistol will carry you the rest of the time

i'm only lvl 30ish and have over half the weapon wall filled and i gently caress around and die and lose what i had on me constantly :shrug:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

i think that guy's just OCD, once you learn a bit its trivially easy to get a silenced pistol and for random challenges like 'kill the target with an epic SMG' just...don't pick those challenges until you stumble across an epic SMG, silenced pistol will carry you the rest of the time

i'm only lvl 30ish and have over half the weapon wall filled and i gently caress around and die and lose what i had on me constantly :shrug:

Yea you definitely don't have to be extreme about it like I am, but the overall point is that if you accumulate some weapons first, you can get to a point where losing one or two doesn't really effect you. Like, once you have the Assassins Pistol, the pistol you dig up in Sgail, and maybe buy 1 or 2 other silenced pistols from the Supplier, you're good to go. You now have 4 or 5 silenced pistol options and losing one won't feel as frustrating.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
You also don't need a silenced pistol or any weapon to compete a mission, it's hitman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feelix posted:

You also don't need a silenced pistol or any weapon to compete a mission, it's hitman

There are definitely a few maps though where having one makes a huge difference when you get the targets that never really leave the public areas. With those targets you can often get to an elevated position(like the market in Marrakesh) and take them out with a silenced pistol shot, whereas killing them up close is much tougher to do without attracting a lot of attention.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I mean, the silenced pistol helps lol even if you're not trying to SA (and on freelancer you absolutely shouldn't care about SA unless it's one of your prestige objectives), its objectively a straight upgrade to any unsilenced firearm

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The name of the game is taking the targets out as safely and reliably as possible so that you can string a lot of successful missions together in a row. There are a lot of kills that you absolutely can pull off without a silenced pistol but that are much safer if you do have one.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Basebf555 posted:

The name of the game is taking the targets out as safely and reliably as possible so that you can string a lot of successful missions together in a row 3.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

EricBauman posted:

That's just the game being buggy as poo poo, it's not them cheating.
It would also happen in the normal campaign, but in the normal campaign, you don't put yourself into situations where this will happen as often

Yeah, afaik, the bank robbers will always hear you take out people in the next stall, even if the door's closed. It's very silly and doesn't seem to happen in other places (for example, you can take out people in the out-of-order toilet the next floor up without the job applicant - who, tbf, is getting sick - noticing), but then again, that's why I never tried to get the very best scores on escalations/contracts/ETs before I played Freelancer, because there are just too many variables like that for me. That's probably a bit crap for a lot of people, but I feel the game more than makes up for it otherwise, so I don't really care myself.

double nine posted:

I'm sure you're right, but you absolutely don't need to play it like me. I just don't like losing weapons, I get irrationally annoyed at myself when I let it happen. I don't even use most of them anyway!

Another thing is that I don't think I've ever played another roguelike, so I didn't have any preset tactics or expectations. In effect, I only had my own preferences to guide me. Now that I've settled in and succeeded under those conditions, there's not much need for me to do anything else unless I feel like changing things up a bit.

Basebf555 posted:

There are definitely a few maps though where having one makes a huge difference when you get the targets that never really leave the public areas. With those targets you can often get to an elevated position(like the market in Marrakesh) and take them out with a silenced pistol shot, whereas killing them up close is much tougher to do without attracting a lot of attention.

Yeah, again, this is how I feel about it. I know there are lots of ways to play the game, and I've done runs where I just kill everyone with assault rifles before, but I also have major preferences with regard to my own play style, probably borne out of a combination of not wanting to lose my stuff (as mentioned above) and because I've completed every challenge I have access to in the other modes, where going in all guns blazing is usually not advised or flat out not possible under certain conditions, so it's been somewhat drilled into me. With a silenced pistol, if there's a target I find particularly annoying, I can simply pop them off and then run away before anyone realises what's going on.

Examples of such "annoying targets" are those on the river-facing terrace in Bangkok. Some of them take a drink on occasion, but some of them don't and have very short cycles where they're almost always within sight of others, including multiple guards. It's a lot less faff to just silence pistol these ones and skedaddle before the guards have a chance to hone in on you (or use a suitable explosive, either's good). I'm definitely not averse to things going wrong, as I've had multiple impromptu shoot-outs with assassins on showdown levels etc, but a crutch is nice in some circumstances.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 3, 2023

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

if you have a sieker, fart briefcase, and rubber duck you're basically prepared for any problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Yeah, afaik, the bank robbers will always hear you take out people in the next stall, even if the door's closed. It's very silly and doesn't seem to happen in other places (for example, you can take out people in the out-of-order toilet the next floor up without the job applicant - who, tbf, is getting sick - noticing), but then again, that's why I never tried to get the very best scores on escalations/contracts/ETs before I played Freelancer, because there are just too many variables like that for me. That's probably a bit crap for a lot of people, but I feel the game more than makes up for it otherwise, so I don't really care myself.

This is pretty much down to a fundamental flaw with the way they developed the engine. Practically every interaction in the game is hand-curated. Instead of writing code that says "this wall is x centimeters tall, and is therefore a valid push location, and the drop is x meters tall and is therefore lethal," they have to manually assign the the lethal push prompt to the geometry. I'm sure it's the same thing happening with that bathroom. If I had to guess, they didn't mark the door that the robbers are actually in as being a sound-blocking door - likely to make it possible to hear the conversation they're having - so there's actually only one door between you and them as far as the game code is concerned.

They could have instead made everything heuristic based, but I'm guessing the reason they didn't comes down to a combination of the episodic release structure (they needed to have things work x way for Paris, even if they later did y in Sapienza), and just the sheer amount of work involved in creating those systems being impractical on their initial budget and release time frames.