Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I spent 6 hours slowly making more and more progress against the superboss. My last attempt made it to the second form, I am taking a break and brainstorming some team adjustments before I try again but I am convinced that I can do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mustard Iceman posted:

e: fixed the problem. best of luck to ya.

side note: Remedy is so drat good with the Dancer's divine skill.

Also the animation at max boost is hilarious.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

About how much time hours-wise is the final chapter of the game?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

exquisite tea posted:

About how much time hours-wise is the final chapter of the game?

Not too long from my memory? There are no (new) dungeons and honestly not that many boss fights, it's mostly plot, a couple boss fights, and the final boss.

I'd say you could knock it out in like a few hours at most.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'd say 3ish hours depending on how long it takes you to figure out where to go

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

buddychrist10 posted:

I spent 6 hours slowly making more and more progress against the superboss. My last attempt made it to the second form, I am taking a break and brainstorming some team adjustments before I try again but I am convinced that I can do it!

I wanna hear about how you beat it, I like seeing the different ways people get past it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

Just got to the final story boss of Octopath 2 and :stare:

Does uh... does anyone have any tips for physical damage mitigation?

Get Tricks of the Trade on Hikari, from a guy just outside town on Roque Island. Keep his SP topped up and have him use it at every opportunity.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Hired Help - Max boost/leaves for Veteran Soldier

My main was Partitio so capitalism solved my final boss issues rather nicely.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If you spend the time to go get Foreign Assassins then hired help is even better, they do 4x 9999+ damage to all enemies and refill your entire party's HP/SP. You were right all along, Partitio - Capitalism DOES rule!!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I know people keep saying level doesn't matter in this, but what level did y'all do this final boss at? I've got like 52-65 here but I just had level 57 Tenemos die two turns into the fight from one of the party wide physical attacks and then getting targeted by the light multi-hit attack. This was even with an elemental defense boost from Throne's night ability. That feels way too squishy to be viable, even if the point of the fight is to burn through resurrection items. Should I just get more Phys Def equipment? Maybe there's better shields I can buy somewhere?

I'm debating reloading my earlier save so i can go do more daytime stuff, I dunno. Just feel like I'm missing something more fundamental than some of the tricks here: I can't, like, use Seaclige's or any other Divine skills if my characters don't survive long enough to get max boost and I have to burn my boosts on breaking these tentacles that immediately come back. Do you pop a bunch of BP items at the start of the fight and then set yourself up ASAP to buy time for that?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Might seem obvious but are you using Shackle Foe from the Thief job? That should help.

I do think my team was probably in their high 50s-60s for the fight (Partitio was probably higher since I used him everywhere), but I did run into a few lucky Cait spawns.

Agnea or Partitio are really helpful for getting set-up because of Windy Refrain or Negotiate Schedule. And it's the final boss so you do have permission to use all those BP items to get going faster.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

abraham linksys posted:

I know people keep saying level doesn't matter in this, but what level did y'all do this final boss at? I've got like 52-65 here but I just had level 57 Tenemos die two turns into the fight from one of the party wide physical attacks and then getting targeted by the light multi-hit attack. This was even with an elemental defense boost from Throne's night ability. That feels way too squishy to be viable, even if the point of the fight is to burn through resurrection items. Should I just get more Phys Def equipment? Maybe there's better shields I can buy somewhere?

I'm debating reloading my earlier save so i can go do more daytime stuff, I dunno. Just feel like I'm missing something more fundamental than some of the tricks here: I can't, like, use Seaclige's or any other Divine skills if my characters don't survive long enough to get max boost and I have to burn my boosts on breaking these tentacles that immediately come back. Do you pop a bunch of BP items at the start of the fight and then set yourself up ASAP to buy time for that?

Did it at 65. I'm convinced my build could have done it at 55, but the extra damage did help.

Also I banned using Limb from Limb because I felt it was cheating.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I made it to phase 2, where the first party disappears. Throne Armsmaster double ax attack at full is doing about 40k damage total boost, so that's good, going to build around getting her in place to do that I guess.

Then I made it exactly one turn into phase 2. Hikari got Swept Away along with my ability to do multi target breaks. Once again, Rend + the focused Light attack instantly killed one party member (Partitio). I raised him with an Olive and then he was instantly killed again. I raised him again and then the enemy got 5 moves in a row, which went as you'd expect. Having a great time :shepface:

Might go grind a few levels. I feel silly grinding when I might wind up having to back out of this save slot entirely to try again after picking up some more daytime stuff, but at least I have a podcast backlog to catch up on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My levels were like, 38-62? I didn't use any particular fancy strategies; I just had all my highest leveled characters in the A-team. Castti throwing out pomegranate mist, with additional healing as necessary, every turn while everybody else was laying on the offense. I might've gotten lucky by dealing a lot of damage beyond whatever HP threshold kicks off the second phase, because that one went by in a flash. I had two merchants on my B-team, and it only took like two or three helpings of ninjas to get through.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

OK, this is game of the year. The last fight was epic, and the epilogue + end credits ruled. Torn between save-scumming with Alrond to try to get strong enough for the superboss, or starting another playthrough with some sort of party shuffler to mix it up.

abraham linksys posted:

I know people keep saying level doesn't matter in this, but what level did y'all do this final boss at?

Castti was 71, everyone else was low-60s.

And I had to beat it 2.5 times since the game crashed after the first phase once, then the game soft-locked at the start of the ending after the first time.

Still, I managed to do it without using Hired Help at all, but I did use Seduction+Remedy spam which saved me from the light multi-hit. The A Team and B Team phase share an HP Pool so I chained Brand's Blade (Castti), Lionheart Axe (Ochette) and Hastening Hammer (Parti) to bring it down as much as possible so that the B Team would have less to worry about. The Rend from the top-right tentacle was the biggest problem for the B team to handle since I lacked the single-target elements to break it. However, I think if you break the bottom-right tentacle, you don't have to worry about reflect damage and then you can use Advanced Magic and/or Soulstones.

If you are able to learn Squall of Arrows for Hikari, it *can* break the two back tentacles in one turn (it does miss a lot). The bottom right tentacle can be broken with a combination of HP Thief and Divine Dual Edge; I think Sentencing Gavel helped with one or more of the parts, too.

OddObserver posted:

Also the animation at max boost is hilarious.
Especially against the last boss!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah unfortunately I'm struggling to offer help because when I got to that point I had strong enough offense spread across multiple characters that the boss just didn't get to hit me often enough to really gently caress me up. They did get some hits in (and hit harder than I was expecting!) but I was able to end the fight fast enough that it never entered a death spiral.

What are you doing with Castti? Do you have a good stock of Pomegranate Leaves and serums? Have you been using Sealticge + Remedy to turbo-buff your team? How about Dohter's + some jams to spread around a ton of HP/SP/BP?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

OH NO WHAT I THOUGHT WAS PHASE 2 WAS NOT PHASE 2 AT ALL

(I think I can still do this I just gotta move around my parties a bit)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

OH NO WHAT I THOUGHT WAS PHASE 2 WAS NOT PHASE 2 AT ALL

(I think I can still do this I just gotta move around my parties a bit)

Hahahaha there we go

Actual phase 2 spoilers: anything that affects your whole party? It affects your whole party. Yes, this is extremely abusable. Have fun!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh my god I managed to do it on my first phase 2 try it just took like 20 minutes and I had assumed there would have been an enrage timer or something

Partitio died right after I got off a 4x sidestep-all cast but his noble sacrifice made it possible

e: it was also very nice of them to not have a "boss is immune until you kill his friends mechanic" in phase 2, though I assume without sidestep you'd be in healing hell off the arm attacks and not able to just spend all your time breaking or dunking the main boss

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 2, 2023

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

…oh goddammit I just got the pun/reference with Partitio’s main antagonist’s name

You know, that mister Roque feller?

gently caress

e: also one thing i thought was weird in this game was the choice to have a bunch of group side chatter in taverns only unlock after you beat individual stories. feel like i gotta go find a youtube compilation of those

also glad I'm reading through the past 50 pages of this thread since there's quite a few other things I missed, this is a dang cool game. No chance I'm going through the superboss effort but gonna go watch a video of it just because I'm curious about what it's like

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 2, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Looks like they're doing another Break & Boost album, this time including CotC and OT2 music.

https://twitter.com/OCTOPATH_PR/status/1684132923925225472

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Harrow posted:

Hahahaha there we go

Actual phase 2 spoilers: anything that affects your whole party? It affects your whole party. Yes, this is extremely abusable. Have fun!

It's something I wish they let you do more often because it's extremely fun but also I understand the impact of only doing it for the final boss (and the bonus boss).

And yes, I know the mobile game does it too but the design space is a bit different for that one.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

tried the mobile game but in between "gatcha" and "mobile game UI" (which is weirdly unreadable on an iPhone 13 mini; I know these tiny phones were never popular but dang could at least scale the text a bit), think that's gonna be a pass for me. bet the soundtrack goes hard though.

how's that Live A Live remake? i see it only has 7 playable characters, which is one less than 8 which must make it inferior, but it does seem to look very pretty

(I also might try Triangle Strategy but I haven't seriously played a turn-based tactics game since, like, FFTA2, and I wasn't even good at that)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

how's that Live A Live remake? i see it only has 7 playable characters, which is one less than 8 which must make it inferior, but it does seem to look very pretty

(I also might try Triangle Strategy but I haven't seriously played a turn-based tactics game since, like, FFTA2, and I wasn't even good at that)

The Live A Live remake is very, very good and I can't recommend it enough. Each of the characters' stories is very different and the game plays like an anthology of experimental RPG short stories. I absolutely loved it.

So is Triangle Strategy. It's a very different kind of tactics game than FFT/A/A2 because it doesn't have a job system and has set characters with distinct abilities. It's really great. Has a demo, too, if you're not too sure about it, though the demo also covers the slowest and most exposition-heavy part of the story and I know that turns some people off.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

abraham linksys posted:

:mmmsmug:

It's really good. Probably the best non-FF remake Square Enix has done. Massive QoL upgrades over the original, such as actually telling you what each attack does and when enemies are resistant or vulnerable to it. They added a bunch of other things that make it really very excellent. It's a much shorter journey than OT2, for sure... but it polishes what was a mid-90s B-team experiment into a shining gem of a game.

Make sure you play the Distant Future chapter at night, alone, with all the lights off.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everyone interested in RPGs should play Live A Live, and the remake is the best version of it.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Lei Kugo or go home.

"The old man taught me this!"

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Live a Live is one of the best SNES rpgs and the remaster does it justice. Just go in blind and play it.

Also seconding Triangle Strategy. It was made by a different team but Asano was involved with both games. It still does kinda feel like Octopath traveler but as a tactics game. At least there's similiarties in terms of the art style and the writing (and "...").

Though as mentioned, You can't compare it to FFT. Its' pretty different in mechanics. And the start is very slow instead of FFT/TO's tendency to just throw you immediately into the action. But the game does go places and ramps up a lot after the start.

It's still a tactics kind of game though and some battles can be pretty tricky. But you can break a lot of the difficulty with the right units and synergies. Unfortunately you can't overlevel characters in this game (but catch up is very easy at least). So you' are forced to figure out mechanics to get through fights. So if that isn't your cup of tea then you won't enjoy this game.

But on the bright side, every character is useful in some way, and it's not hard to come up with good teams to get through battles. Hell your starting team is actually very powerful and so you can lean on them if you want.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Triangle Strategy can easily hang with the giants of its genre while also having a distinct mechanical identity.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hoo boy, that final boss was a doozy! My main party was all 65+ and well-synergized with one another but my B-team really struggled to survive even one AOE blast. Pulled it out with only Partitio and Hikari still alive while panickedly funneling enough silver to my Foreign Assassins to retire for life. P2W always prevails!

This was a great game. Somehow I put over 75 hours into it over the past few weeks and I could have easily put in much more (and probably would if BG3 were not coming out literally today). Great characters, surprisingly deep gameplay, amazing soundtrack, decent story overall. It seems to be a common complaint but I hope they put more frequent crossed path interludes into Octo 3 since those were my favorite parts and it's wild how you can get 30+ hours in without seeing a single one. Since we love listing names here, here is my final hot ranking for all the character stories:

Throne
Partitio
Castti
Agnea
Temenos
Osvald
Hikari
Ochette

Imagine if someone's personal ranking actually spelled out OCTOPATH? Seems very unlikely! But I'm sure they're out there.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what do people do for power levelling? i was obviously the person who had half the team at 70 and the other half at 35 by the end. other than +exp and +cait encounter

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

kliras posted:

what do people do for power levelling? i was obviously the person who had half the team at 70 and the other half at 35 by the end. other than +exp and +cait encounter

Cait encounters are the best for it for sure. I don't think there's anything else that's close to it. But it's not too bad if you use the equipment that boosts their appearance rate and there's a support skill that makes rare monsters more likely to show up too. However there is a way to set it up so that you only have to do like a few fights to level everyone up but it requires a bit of luck

After you finish Partitio's Story, you can do some side quests that center around Alrond and his butler in Wellgrove. Once you finish them Alrond starts hanging out in front of his house and you can hire him for a lot of money. He can only be summoned 3 times but each time he's out he'll use an ability that increases xp or jp gained. I think you get like 3 casts of it per summon. You can get 10x xp/jp but there's like a 10% chance you can get a 100x buff instead. So if you save scum for that buff then that could make for a pretty short grind. Though if you really don't want to look for caits, just any decent xp encounter will still be worth a ton with that 100x buff. Maybe refight one of the side dungeon bosses.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 3, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine if someone's personal ranking actually spelled out OCTOPATH? Seems very unlikely! But I'm sure they're out there.

Doesn't seem that implausible, outside of someone ranking Partitio 5th.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Live A Live remaster is fantastic. Someone described it to me as a proto OT in that it's smaller character stories that tie together at the end. The soundtrack was already good, thanks to Yoko Shimomura. For the remaster, she collaborated with Hironobu Kageyama (famous for the DBZ opening "Head Cha La") to remake one of the themes. Once you get into that story you realize it's perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdU5P3F8IyY

Playing that song in Theatrhythm is a fun challenge.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Both Triangle Strategy and Live A Live were on sale on GMG so I got 'em both, going to do Triangle Strategy first just since it seems like more of a change of pace.

Harrow posted:

So is Triangle Strategy. It's a very different kind of tactics game than FFT/A/A2 because it doesn't have a job system and has set characters with distinct abilities. It's really great. Has a demo, too, if you're not too sure about it, though the demo also covers the slowest and most exposition-heavy part of the story and I know that turns some people off.

I didn't see a Triangle Strategy demo on Steam (I assume the Switch version has one), but yeah, I'm 90 minutes in and have had one (1) fight, so I can see that being a rough demo.

I will say TS doesn't look as good as OT2. The sprites seem kind of blurry, which I assume is because TS lets you zoom the camera in/out and has to scale arbitrarily, whereas I think in OT2 you're usually only looking at sprites at "native size" (or maybe some pixel-perfect scaling factor). The voice acting is also rough, to the point I might switch to Japanese voices. Music's good as hell so far, at least.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, for what it's worth, the TS cast gets better as they find their feet, but I think Frederica is the only standout of the English voice over. She does get some killer line reads, though.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

JuniperCake posted:

Cait encounters are the best for it for sure. I don't think there's anything else that's close to it. But it's not too bad if you use the equipment that boosts their appearance rate and there's a support skill that makes rare monsters more likely to show up too. However there is a way to set it up so that you only have to do like a few fights to level everyone up but it requires a bit of luck

After you finish Partitio's Story, you can do some side quests that center around Alrond and his butler in Wellgrove. Once you finish them Alrond starts hanging out in front of his house and you can hire him for a lot of money. He can only be summoned 3 times but each time he's out he'll use an ability that increases xp or jp gained. I think you get like 3 casts of it per summon. You can get 10x xp/jp but there's like a 10% chance you can get a 100x buff instead. So if you save scum for that buff then that could make for a pretty short grind. Though if you really don't want to look for caits, just any decent xp encounter will still be worth a ton with that 100x buff. Maybe refight one of the side dungeon bosses.
thx. do you know for sure whether you can still get it after reaching the endgame phase? there's some daytime requirements afaict, and the npc's don't seem to be there, but maybe i just missed something and already activated their quest lines. i do have the department store though

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yeah, for what it's worth, the TS cast gets better as they find their feet, but I think Frederica is the only standout of the English voice over. She does get some killer line reads, though.

Yeah I’d definitely agree with this. The English voice acting improves over the course of the game but Frederica is the standout performance.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
There's a late-game scene in one of the paths between Serenoa and Benedict where they both show off their VA chops, and I'd guess the similar scenes in the other paths go just as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

abraham linksys posted:

tried the mobile game but in between "gatcha" and "mobile game UI" (which is weirdly unreadable on an iPhone 13 mini; I know these tiny phones were never popular but dang could at least scale the text a bit), think that's gonna be a pass for me. bet the soundtrack goes hard though.

Yes. Yes the soundtrack does go hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svqlNnT3mfE