Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What the current hotness for Launchers? Nova is starting to poo poo the bed on me so I think it's time to move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
I cycle between smart launcher and Niagara depending on what vibe I'm looking for

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My vibe is deep home screen customization and so many app folders

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I use Hyperion, am mostly happy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.launcher

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

YggiDee posted:

My vibe is deep home screen customization and so many app folders
If you also vibe with running open source code by randos on GitHub, Neo Launcher might be the thing.

It does a bit of a weird thing when resizing widgets, where the handles appear in unrelated places on the screen. That's really all I can complain about.

Folders on the home screen, folders in the app drawer, you got it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I use Microsoft Launcher. I have way too many apps and the alphabet scrollbar app list mode is too handy and for some reason nothing else has it done well. And even that aside it's surprisingly good considering.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Got a new phone. Tried to migrate WhatsApp messages using the new transfer feature in WhatsApp (Android to Android). That failed, and kicked me out of my old phone. Now when I try to login again, it's saying I can only restore from a backup from a month ago. Do I have any options to restore all chats and messages?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Got a new phone. Tried to migrate WhatsApp messages using the new transfer feature in WhatsApp (Android to Android). That failed, and kicked me out of my old phone. Now when I try to login again, it's saying I can only restore from a backup from a month ago. Do I have any options to restore all chats and messages?
I don't know nothing about a new transfer feature, but I've had to put the sim card back in the old phone, reenable WhatsApp there, force it to make a fresh backup, put the sim card back into the new phone, enable WhatsApp there before.

Don't know of new phone means new number here? Maybe that's different.

In any case, see if getting kicked out of the old phone is reversible and make a new backup is what I'd try.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

KISS Launcher supremacy.

Gestures for the stuff you want easy access too. Favourites for a few more so you got your little row at the bottom and fuzzy search for everything else. Maybe a clock widget if you're feeling wild but you're not getting app shortcuts all over your wallpaper.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A couple quick dumb Qs. In Firefox permissions, are the exceptions list sites that can do anything, or sites that can do nothing permissions wise? I've googled it and I'm having a brain moment.

Also, is there an add-on to enable holding to get the context click menu to save pics etc, kind of like the right click add-ons for PC or shift + right click? The latest Firefox android update removed that from some places (okay it was OF). It still works with a version from a couple weeks ago though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some of the permissions can be set with a global default of allow or deny, and the per-site permissions can then override that either way. But I think the GUI only let's you set it to the opposite of the current global default.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Hey, Firefox questions! Is there a way to set a specific site to always load the desktop version? Like, I open imgur in the desktop version to enable uploading images, but every time I go to imgur, I have to go into the options and flip the switch.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

Hey, Firefox questions! Is there a way to set a specific site to always load the desktop version? Like, I open imgur in the desktop version to enable uploading images, but every time I go to imgur, I have to go into the options and flip the switch.
You can spoof your browser's user agent string to pretend you're on desktop either globally, or enable non-whitelisted addons and use user-agent switcher and manager in site whitelist mode just to do it for a couple of sites. Which is all a needless hassle if you're only interested in anonymous uploads, because this site exists.

I think the request desktop site slider is supposed to remember sites, but I've never known that to work. Perhaps due to some privacy setting or other.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hope this is the best place to ask a question related to Android OS Phones. Here's a granpa-tier problem:

I have the facebook messenger app, and I use a group chat there to schedule meet ups at a local hobby store. My BJJ gym has a facebook group, and that only seems to be accessible through the facebook app, not the messenger app?

Is there any way I can access both of these from one app? I hate having to go two different places to do the same thing (checking to see if my hobby acquaintances are doing anything).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

Which is all a needless hassle if you're only interested in anonymous uploads, because this site exists.

I'll try that out!

It's not just image uploads, but it's like 2 or 3 sites I check once a day, so not a big deal.

(why do realtor sites hide the map when you are on mobile??? I wanna see where the houses are!)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jack B Nimble posted:

I hope this is the best place to ask a question related to Android OS Phones. Here's a granpa-tier problem:

I have the facebook messenger app, and I use a group chat there to schedule meet ups at a local hobby store. My BJJ gym has a facebook group, and that only seems to be accessible through the facebook app, not the messenger app?

Is there any way I can access both of these from one app? I hate having to go two different places to do the same thing (checking to see if my hobby acquaintances are doing anything).

I haven't used Facebook in several years, so this information may or may not be accurate, but messages and posts to group pages are entirely different things. Messenger is used as a one-to-one or group messaging client, whereas posting on a group's page doesn't fall under that umbrella.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bleh, that seems to be the case.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Is there any straightforward way to unify my volume controls in android, so that when I adjust it up/down it applies to all of them? There is no situation in which I want to turn down just media / ringtone/ message tones contextually and it's just a pointless pain-in-the-rear end feature (for me.) Don't wanna be somewhere quiet, think I've turned the volume down, then receive an email and have that notification still blaring out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pipski posted:

Is there any straightforward way to unify my volume controls in android, so that when I adjust it up/down it applies to all of them? There is no situation in which I want to turn down just media / ringtone/ message tones contextually and it's just a pointless pain-in-the-rear end feature (for me.) Don't wanna be somewhere quiet, think I've turned the volume down, then receive an email and have that notification still blaring out.

You can probably turn on the senior or child mode on your phone and it would simplify that stuff. Otherwise it's a feature that 99% of people probably want to make use of so I doubt you can change it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pipski posted:

Smart watches have killed the need for noise in notifications. Take advantage of that if you can.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Pipski posted:

If it's a Galaxy phone you can set it up that way. You can use Sound Assistant on Good Lock to tweak what the volume keys do.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Smart watches have killed the need for noise in notifications. Take advantage of that if you can.

There has almost never been a need for notifications to make noise. Set the default to silent. Live your best life.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mostly I just wish assistant had its own volume channel instead of being tied to Media.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What’s the best video player on android that isn’t VLC or Plex (because VLC is exhibiting an intermittent and seemingly random buffering issue that I can’t seem to completely eliminate and because I’m not gonna pay for Plex to stream poo poo over my own local network)?

Needs to be able to play videos from a local network share via smb or nfs, and have the option to just keep looping through the folder it’s playing from when it gets to the last file.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

History Comes Inside! posted:

What’s the best video player on android that isn’t VLC or Plex (because VLC is exhibiting an intermittent and seemingly random buffering issue that I can’t seem to completely eliminate and because I’m not gonna pay for Plex to stream poo poo over my own local network)?

Needs to be able to play videos from a local network share via smb or nfs, and have the option to just keep looping through the folder it’s playing from when it gets to the last file.

I've been happy with MX Player for years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use the free Plex to stream stuff over my network? I use it to stream from my PC to my TV and can watch on my phone if I wanted to.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
There a better package tracking app than AfterShip?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Uthor posted:

I use the free Plex to stream stuff over my network? I use it to stream from my PC to my TV and can watch on my phone if I wanted to.

It streams to some devices for free but if you want to use an android or iOS device you have to cough up

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203868088-unlocking-or-activating-plex-for-android/

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It streams to some devices for free but if you want to use an android or iOS device you have to cough up

https://support.plex.tv/articles/203868088-unlocking-or-activating-plex-for-android/
You can just use Plex web access (for free) on any mobile browser you choose.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

You can just use Plex web access (for free) on any mobile browser you choose.

Yeah, but I want this to all happen in a dedicated app, not a browser. It needs to be as simple and set-and-forget as possible for the person using it, and giving them a web browser and all the possibilities that come with just having that available is not that at all.

I’ll give MX Player another look later, I feel like I tried it before and it was missing the critically important “just hit play and loop the folder forever” function but maybe I’m misremembering.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 12, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ah, I must have unlocked it using credits from that Rewards thing where Google asks you stupid questions and gives you pennies. Sorry, I didn't remember and didn't see a "premium" or whatever when I looked.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

There a better package tracking app than AfterShip?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.orrs.deliveries

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a text messaging app that everyone prefers? I've always just used the stock Samsung app, but some of the group chat limitations have become really annoying (e.g. not being able to rename group chats)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Is there a text messaging app that everyone prefers? I've always just used the stock Samsung app, but some of the group chat limitations have become really annoying (e.g. not being able to rename group chats)

I've never done a group text, only use WhatsApp for that. For texting, I've never used anything but Google Messages.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never done a group text, only use WhatsApp for that. For texting, I've never used anything but Google Messages.

Yeah I used to use Textra all the time but once Google implemented Messages for Web I went back to it since I sit in front of my PC all day.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I still use Textra and think it's great for SMS/MMS.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I use Textra, too. The only group thing I've ever done was me and 2 other people, and it worked fine for that.

I won't touch WhatsApp, because it's owned by Facebook. If they want my info, they'll have to get it like everyone else: Buy it from Google.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Textra 'remembers' you muted a text conversation, which is huge for me because I get automated shift callouts constantly and it's nice being able to delete that message stream and not have to sorry about having to mute it again.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Yeah, but I want this to all happen in a dedicated app, not a browser. It needs to be as simple and set-and-forget as possible for the person using it, and giving them a web browser and all the possibilities that come with just having that available is not that at all.

I’ll give MX Player another look later, I feel like I tried it before and it was missing the critically important “just hit play and loop the folder forever” function but maybe I’m misremembering.

If you're not opposed to running a dedicated server/container on a computer then plex isn't the only game in town. There's jellyfin and emby. Both have apps (I believe) for ios and android and various tvs. I think jellyfin is the preferred one but I'm not sure as I use plex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Resdfru posted:

If you're not opposed to running a dedicated server/container on a computer then plex isn't the only game in town. There's jellyfin and emby. Both have apps (I believe) for ios and android and various tvs. I think jellyfin is the preferred one but I'm not sure as I use plex.

This could be a thread to check out if you go this way.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531650&pagenumber=140&perpage=40