Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Hulk Krogan posted:

They absolutely are, but I think the issue here specifically is that Diablo 4 is such a terrible example. People have been freaking out in here for months about the battle pass and fomo mechanics and gacha game etc etc, but that stuff is either entirely absent, or else less intrusive and less tied into the actual game design than basically any other live service game I've played.

There are tons of games with actually coercive mechanics and monetization schemes, like how Destiny gates dungeons (and therefore guns and pinnacle drops) behind either the $100 deluxe edition of each expansion or a $20 dungeon pass, or how there are multiple long grinds involved in getting/crafting a gun and then getting it kitted out to actually use. There are (or at least were) a limited number of pinnacle drops each week that could raise your characters light level, and daily/weekly bounties that turn a bunch of the games activities into chores that you have to check off to advance your character at a reasonable pace. The store is way more in your face and the paid battle pass is full of stuff with actual in-game impact, from crafting materials to armor and weapons. You need premium currency to turn armor into transmog options, and after you use up the little bit of (class specific) free currency you get each season, you gotta pay. Also, that's a game where your characters persist through seasons, so seaaonal stuff going away forever is a much bigger deal than it is in Diablo.

Meanwhile, the cash shop in Diablo IV may as well not exist, judging by how few people I've seen wearing paid armor. I finished the battle pass by level 75, without having bought the ultra mega 20 tier skips edition, and there's nothing in there but a couple of transmog sets. The mechanical incentives to keep grinding are functionally identical to diablo 2/3 and every other ARPG ever: kill monsters to get loot to kill monsters better. If you get bored of that, there's basically no hook to keep you around! Especially in the game's state where there is no endgame whatsoever other than Uber Lilith or pushing NMDs.

It's just kind of silly, imo, for people to be characterizing basic video game stuff that's been around long before IAPs or player engagement metrics as this sinister plot to trick you into playing more, when somehow, in spite of activision and blizzard being godawful in basically every respect, this particular game is actually quite devoid of most of the manipulative bullshit that is sadly very common in AAA games nowadays.

The cosmetic shop could be a cash cow for them. I am kind of surprised how they don't have any wild stuff in there yet. I think some armors that glow or have effects would drive some sales.

For the Battle Passes I think the best solution would be to give more platinum, enough for another season pass and not quite enough for something out of the shop to entice more shop sales, titles, a single good armor set and a good death cosmetic. I have the season pass done for this season and I haven't bothered to buy the full thing because the rewards are so underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
They should've just copied PoE again and sell cosmetics for poo poo like weird footprints or spell effect replacements and print money.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The stuff in the cash shop is mostly ugly as poo poo and it costs like £25 for a single outfit that only one class can wear, who the gently caress is paying that much?

If it was like £3 maximum I might sometimes be tempted but lol at £25, gently caress right off.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Djarum posted:

The cosmetic shop could be a cash cow for them. I am kind of surprised how they don't have any wild stuff in there yet. I think some armors that glow or have effects would drive some sales.

For the Battle Passes I think the best solution would be to give more platinum, enough for another season pass and not quite enough for something out of the shop to entice more shop sales, titles, a single good armor set and a good death cosmetic. I have the season pass done for this season and I haven't bothered to buy the full thing because the rewards are so underwhelming.

Armor could flash when you crit or overpower etc..

I don’t want this but I just junk it would sell.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Realizing with quiet muted horror only broken up by the occasional nervous chuckle that maybe the D4 shop and battle pass aren't predatory only because they were incompetently made. Lucky for us I suppose, haha.

It really would make the most sense to give enough plat to get you to go into the shop and grab a cool hat and a chest but not quite the full set, wouldn't it? Or a boss horse/druid t mog/class graphics set so you want the armor/horse/bear rear end to match?

And giving enough resource to guarantee you get the next battle pass is actually a steady money gainer if you ask me. You have to complete the full pass to get to that point, which means the player mentally commits to playing the season fully AND returning for the next. The sunk cost there is much stronger than "why get the battle pass, you don't even get enough for a bitchin' piece of armor or the next pass?"

I know they held back because of the reception Immortal got but I'd love to see the in-house memos and orders.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Quote-Unquote posted:

The stuff in the cash shop is mostly ugly as poo poo and it costs like £25 for a single outfit that only one class can wear, who the gently caress is paying that much?

If it was like £3 maximum I might sometimes be tempted but lol at £25, gently caress right off.

looked at the s1 updated store last night for the first time and had this same reaction

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm ready to provide the official final word on Diablo 4: it's Fine, but not Great

The settings and zone design is excellent. It's got the best looking environments in the genre right now, which is worth a lot. The micro aspects of combat, the visceral feel of hitting skeletons with swords, is also quite solid.

This is of low importance, but the campaign is...fine. I really enjoyed the sightless mirror gimmick, and it felt like it all kept moving. There's some questions regarding the motivations and plans of Lilith, but that's nitpicky lore stuff that I may have just missed.

However, many of the mechanics have left me wanting.

- This isn't news, but the endgame is comically shallow. I finished the campaign at 41. I spent a couple levels getting through a few season journey items, finishing up strongholds, etc. By about 53 it became clear the activities left to me were 1) grinding NM dungeons, 2) helltides, and 3) uh, some whispers? legions? Legions and helltides didn't feel any different in action - just running back and forth on the map clearing some mobs. Whispers aren't much different than that either as far as I could tell. Grinding NM dungeons is clearly the strongest choice in terms of loot, glyphs, and xp, but how many hours of this do I have ahead of me if I want level 70, 80, 100? I could see myself mayyybe hanging on until hitting WT4 and doing that for a couple hours, but endless hours of NM dungeons is not a sufficient endgame.

Additionally, I want to highlight a key problem with NM dungeon design. With dungeons, most of the reward is at the end. After you kill the boss, you get a couple guaranteed uniques, the boss loot, and the glyph experience. Here's the important part: the process of doing all the little tasks to clear the dungeon doesn't feel nearly as rewarding as finishing the dungeon. I'm not rewarded for *doing* the dungeon, I'm rewarded for *finishing* the dungeon. So I'm trying to just rush through as much as possible. To draw a contrast, in PoE's best analog, maps, all of the rewards are in the mobs themselves. Finishing a map is no great reward - all the juice is in the enemies. My goal is to kill as many enemies as possible in the map, not rush to the end. My rewards are for killing enemies. In the NM dungeons, my reward isn't for killing the enemies, it's for collecting animus juice or bringing a rock to another rock, since those get me closer to finishing the dungeon. So long as this is true, dungeons are going to feel mildly annoying - enemies are in the way between you and the goal, rather than being the goal.

- I don't care for the strictness of skill selection. If you roll a rogue, you've got exactly the skills on the skill page available to you - nothing else. How many meaningful damage options are on there, 10ish? If you find a unique to give primary skills a ton of power that's a couple more, and you can count the ultimates I guess. But no matter how you slice it, you can't cast anything that isn't on that skill page, and there are not many options. I can't play a rogue that uses whirlwind or a barb that uses bone spear. This paucity of skill options will really suck over the long term

- Legendary affixes have a tension that isn't fun. There's no question that every slot should be unique/legendary, which means rares aren't ever going to be competitive on their own. Every slot needs an affix. What ends up happening is that you find some piece of gear with an excellent, build-enabling affix. You use it for a bit, but it's falling way behind on power level. Rares are now 100 or 200 power level higher, and you really want to make the switch to move your level up. But you need to keep that affix. So you rip the affix off the old item and put it onto a new one, but now the next time that item is falling behind in power level, you don't have that option. You're stuck keeping that very low level build-enabling legendary affix until you find another copy. The game is pulling you in two opposite directions; keep upgrading your gear to improve power level and mod rolls, but the legendary affixes are so strong you can't leave them behind. I should be excited to find new gear to put on, but instead I feel punished. I believe this levels out better as your character level increases, but at 53 I'm not there yet. How many hours do I have to play before I'm not feeling like I'm not making a mistake for using items I find?

Overall, both the endgame content situation and the affix design are fixable. The former just needs content, and the latter could be solved with some moderate redesigns of affixes and power levels. The skill setup is never going to change over the lifespan of the game. It's not a deal breaker, but it does mean that after you cycled through most of the skills in the next few seasons, that there won't be any new skills to use. D3 had this exact same issue.

It's all Fine. If you want to get high and grind dungeons for hours, or run back and forth in hell tides, then more power to you. But several key systems don't support more active engagement at this time.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Djarum posted:

I think we'll definitely see this as time goes on. Lots of games keep the cosmetics relatively grounded at first, and then get wilder later. S1 cash cosmetics in every new CoD are all black tacticool army mans and then by s3 or 4 they're selling snoop Dogg and mechagodzilla and poo poo.

The thing with the D4 cash shop is that, while some of the paid stuff does look pretty sweet, they're expensive as hell + there's already lots of really cool looking armor in the game for free, and the transmog system is excellent. Plus you can't see your dude that well most of the time outside those new loading screens, and paying near $30 for armor for a character I'll never play again once the season ends just isn't enticing.

It's kind of funny that for all the fretting pre-release about how this game was designed from the ground up to extract money from people at every turn, it just... isn't . All the cash stuff is completely ignorable.

Doomykins posted:

Realizing with quiet muted horror only broken up by the occasional nervous chuckle that maybe the D4 shop and battle pass aren't predatory only because they were incompetently made. Lucky for us I suppose, haha.

This definitely crossed my mind too lol.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is "cash shop armor is cool" or "cash shop armor is ugly" the good scenario

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

"free armor is cool so I don't have to pay attention to cash shop armor at all" imo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The droppable unique armors look cool and the only time I spend looking at my duds is typically on loading screens... Which is why they added it there, of course.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Cash Shop Armor is cool, whales can slam down money to get it right now, anyone can play the game and steadily build currency to get That One Set They Love within 1-2 weeks of Gamer Dad play or 1-4 days of Diablo 2 Releases When You're In College play. I don't have to like monetization in games but I get it, corporation is a business, etc.

If the Cash Shop Armor is ugly why monetize at all? I guess taste is subjective...

For the record I'm quite happy that all the free armor is cool enough to never look at the cash shop more than once in my lifetime to satisfy my curiosity.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I might actually buy something that made something like Death Blow more visually exciting. The sound is an addictive dopamine hit, lets double down on that poo poo and have the visual be really cool too.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Hulk Krogan posted:

"free armor is cool so I don't have to pay attention to cash shop armor at all" imo

I bought $100 worth of cash shop cosmetics and my next NM dungeon dropped a shako. Who’s to say it’s a coincidence?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Djarum posted:

They'd need way more social activites for a cosmetic shop to be successful imo. People want to show off to others and it's already hard enough in an isometric game like this to notice armor details. If they had more group content or fun social stuff where people gather it'd probably entice the whales more

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Time posted:

Today iirc

Ah, poo poo, I'm an idiot. I've been messed up all week, though BG3 was releasing today, too. Thanks!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
in POE people sit in their hideout except when they interact for .5 second to trade and people still spend a fortune on cosmetics

they just need to up the garishness. people loving love garish cosmetics

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

emdash posted:

they just need to up the garishness. people loving love garish cosmetics

The fact that there is no pink dye in this game is a crime against pretty princess dress up fashion in gaming.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Quote-Unquote posted:

The fact that there is no pink dye in this game is a crime against pretty princess dress up fashion in gaming.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
notes up https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes?blzcmp=blizzard-news

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Quote-Unquote posted:

The stuff in the cash shop is mostly ugly as poo poo and it costs like Ł25 for a single outfit that only one class can wear, who the gently caress is paying that much?

If it was like Ł3 maximum I might sometimes be tempted but lol at Ł25, gently caress right off.

The full sets are like 60-70 bucks total if you look at all the themes. Armor/weapons/mounts/back item all sold separately

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Collapsing Farts posted:

They'd need way more social activites for a cosmetic shop to be successful imo. People want to show off to others and it's already hard enough in an isometric game like this to notice armor details. If they had more group content or fun social stuff where people gather it'd probably entice the whales more

Yeah that's true. I really enjoy the Legion and World Bosses but there is too few of them. I was thinking of a zone event that is a couple of groups having to defend it from hordes of enemies. Like a mixture of Tower Defense coupled with Battlefield/Planetside. You hold points and if you are overrun you lose them. I feel like that would be a very fun activity.

I know I wouldn't mind some new voice acting packs as well.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Quote-Unquote posted:

Really missing out on a Diablo/Barbie crossover.

Also I wish they would make it easier to refund Paragon points or at least have it make sense.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

good patch

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Glad barber is being removed.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Re: crafting mats and gold:

If you re-roll a lot of different items a small number of times and/or imbue a lot of different items, you may well run out of veiled crystals and silver ore. This happened to me fast on an alt where I was going "i'm rich who cares" and upgrading items all the time from level 10 to 40.

If you re-roll one attribute on an item over and over because it's sooo close and you NEED it to be whatever, yeah, you'll zonk your gold in now time and be gold constrained.

IMO it probably still makes sense to sell almost everything yellow and salvage almost nothing but legendaries.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Push El Burrito posted:

Really missing out on a Diablo/Barbie crossover.

Also I wish they would make it easier to refund Paragon points or at least have it make sense.
They're "fixing" this with a "Potion of forgetfulness" with the patch, but it kills your skill points too.

Someone please inform me about how much I should be enraged.

edit: enraged because the only good unique fix for barbs is the evade charge and movement speed for 100,000 Steps

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 2, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They're "fixing" this with a "Potion of forgetfulness" with the patch, but it kills your skill points too.

Always mad, never ending, table-flipping rage.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

edit: enraged because the only good unique fix for barbs is the evade charge and movement speed for 100,000 Steps

Patch seems fine honestly

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Glad barber is being removed.

Huh? Did I miss something in the notes -- all I saw was "Fixed an issue where the Barber malignant power would absorb damage from all other players and not just the player with it equipped."

I presume the barber would still remain pretty good for single-player use, right?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Monster Density

We are increasing monster density in Nightmare Dungeons and in Helltide.

Bosses above Level 60 will have more health. Examples:

Bosses at Level 60 and below remain unchanged.

Bosses at Level 80 have 50% increased health.

Bosses at Level 100 have 100% increased health.

Bosses at Level 120 have 120% increased health.

Bosses at Level 150 and above have 150% increased health.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wish they’d grow a pair and fully buff companions instead of doing the boring “add 3% damage every patch until people actually start using them” that they’re doing now.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

American McGay posted:

Wish they’d grow a pair and fully buff companions instead of doing the boring “add 3% damage every patch until people actually start using them” that they’re doing now.

It would be nice but hopefully the reduction in damage from fire + lightning affixes lets my skeletons stay relevant for up to 8 seconds (how long it takes for damage over times to kill any boss)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Grumbles posted:

Patch seems fine honestly
Having actually looked at it a bit, yeah, I like the direction they're going even if I wish they had gone father (like the positive changes to uniques).

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

trevorreznik posted:

Monster Density

We are increasing monster density in Nightmare Dungeons and in Helltide.

Bosses above Level 60 will have more health. Examples:

Bosses at Level 60 and below remain unchanged.

Bosses at Level 80 have 50% increased health.

Bosses at Level 100 have 100% increased health.

Bosses at Level 120 have 120% increased health.

Bosses at Level 150 and above have 150% increased health.

Monster density is obviously great but lol and lmao this boss adjustment is garbage. All NMD bosses are an absolute joke, and if you lived through the bullshit it took to get you there, the boss is literally just a victory lap. The only thing this will change is it will now take twice as long to curb stomp the helpless screaming oversized trashmob into a paste so I can get my stupid glyph xp and leave.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The only thing the cash shop is good for is making me laugh at people that use it when I recognize something as a paid outfit.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Hra Mormo posted:

Monster density is obviously great but lol and lmao this boss adjustment is garbage. All NMD bosses are an absolute joke, and if you lived through the bullshit it took to get you there, the boss is literally just a victory lap. The only thing this will change is it will now take twice as long to curb stomp the helpless screaming oversized trashmob into a paste so I can get my stupid glyph xp and leave.

Gonna be annoying for stagger reliant builds killing stuff quite a bit above their level. I already stagger bosses 20+ my level twice to kill generally, but after 3 staggers it becomes quite slow to build.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

quote:

Fixed an issue where the Shadow clone's taunt effect from the Trickery malignant power could Taunt other players in PvP, and the taunt was not breakable by Unstoppable effects.

lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 2, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Patch of the year.

quote:

Fixed an issue where the speed increase from the Spur skill while mounted was slower on Controller than Keyboard and Mouse.

quote:

Fixed an issue where continuously enchanting an item could result in having the same stat show repeatedly in subsequent re-rolls.

quote:

Fixed an issue where the Fury Against Fate quest could have its progression blocked.

quote:

Fixed an issue where the Gore-soaked barricade could become indestructible after exiting and returning to the Cellar during the Fury Against Fate quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Finished up the season yesterday, game is an 8/10. Season is a 6/10. Hearts are mostly lame except the fun ones that are rare drops.

I’m going to be honest, D4 is more fun than base D3 but this game isn’t near as good as D3:RoS. I don’t think the seasons are good enough and the game isn’t fun enough to do all that blizzard wants you to do in a season. I hit 50 and just checked out.