Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Boris Galerkin posted:

They had these in some supermarkets I went to in Switzerland back in like 2010.

I feel like Americans combine Sweden and Switzerland in some kind of Bizarroscandanavia so it pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I get Sweden and Switzerland mixed up all the time so I double-checked before calling it Scandinavia.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Amazon Go stores are similar, but you don't scan anything. You can your prime code to enter the store, grab whatever you want, and you're auto-charged when you exit the store. Its kinda cool but also spooky.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

withoutclass posted:

Amazon Go stores are similar, but you don't scan anything. You can your prime code to enter the store, grab whatever you want, and you're auto-charged when you exit the store. Its kinda cool but also spooky.

I doubt it'll catch on in our lifetime, people are used to there being employees and checkout stations and there's concerns over the failure points.

Where either it fails to recognize what you actually got (say you put an item back but it's still in "your cart" for example) or it fails to charge you properly (all the way to the disastrous for the company no charge). Plus it doesn't stop shoplifting, it just breeds a better kind of thief who is more aware of cameras and how to circumvent them. Unless Amazon is sticking RFID tags into the oranges, in which case complaint withdrawn.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
the Stop and Shop i go to has this. i walk in, go to the kiosk with a bunch of scanners, Type in my Phone number one of the scanners light up. I take that one and walk around the store scanning items and putting them in my shopping bags, i get to the register hit "checkout" on the scanner and scan its barcode, My whole order appears on the register i swipe my card and im on my way

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Stop and Shop also has a similar thing.

efb

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Kwyndig posted:

I doubt it'll catch on in our lifetime, people are used to there being employees and checkout stations and there's concerns over the failure points.

Where either it fails to recognize what you actually got (say you put an item back but it's still in "your cart" for example) or it fails to charge you properly (all the way to the disastrous for the company no charge). Plus it doesn't stop shoplifting, it just breeds a better kind of thief who is more aware of cameras and how to circumvent them. Unless Amazon is sticking RFID tags into the oranges, in which case complaint withdrawn.

Have you been to one? It's like the most pro customer shopping experience ever. I scan my cc at the door, i grab what i want, i walk out 45 seconds later and get a receipt in my email 2 mins later.

edit: nobody cares about having to "check out" or whether there are employees and there's no cart so it's not like that's a failure.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i can't believe we have this conversation every few months.

some self checkout is good/bad
some places it's good/bad
some countries are advanced/not advanced
customers like things x y and z and other customers dislike x y and z

i'd rather talk about the stupid tv doors at walgreens because that's actually like a disruption and bad tech thing. self check out is.... not

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I feel like I should express my respect for Aldi checkouts here, which operate like 5x faster than a typical supermarket on account of using this newfangled thing called "ergonomics". (And also not bagging things).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Time traveling a bit:

Lacking anything else to say about this, I thought this was kind of cool.
This is pretty standard in the UK as well

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
IIRC how those Amazon stores work is basically they have cameras literally everywhere. Like, everywhere. Everything you do is recorded and then they use computer vision (CV) to detect what you’re taking and so forth.

I wanted to try one out the first time I was in Seattle/SF but I gave up because at the time you needed to download some app and set it up and I think that app needed internet connectivity, which I didn’t have as I was a tourist and didn’t have a U.S. SIM card. I may be misremembering the details.

E: the key thing about those Amazon stores is that the customers that would use them aren’t going to be your average goon who apparently can’t follow directions such as “place item in baggage area”. It’s gonna be people who self-select to use them and who know what they’re getting into, so they won’t run into the issue of needing someone to hold their hands.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 2, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Boris Galerkin posted:

“place item in baggage area”

It's gotten a lot better, but the checkouts used to yell at you if you moved too quickly, moved too slowly, or just when they felt cranky. You'd scan an item, put it in the bagging area, and then it would tell you that something unexpected was in the bagging area.

I haven't had that issue in a long time though.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The first ones had fairly sensitive scales in the baggage (post scanning) area. And if you didn't preweight all your bags before starting to check out the total weight numbers never lined up and it would assume that you are scanning one item and putting two in your bag.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Dave posted:

Back when I worked as a consultant I had to track time in increments of 15 minutes and wanted to jump out the building as I was working on 3-4 different projects through the week.

Same

A graphics company I worked for for about a decade experimented on and off with time sheets and if you know anything about the printing industry, you're never working on ONE THING specifically and the nature of the job itself (and I suspect most others) demands multitasking; working on another thing while one simmers on the back burner or awaits further instructions.

Speaking of simmering, it was like making a time sheet for the minutes you spent cooking/preparing a meal for 20 loving people (salespeople I call them) when you've got a roast in the oven going after you marinated it and now the beans are soaking while you chop carrots to add to the slow cooker. Then you quickly washed some dishes while you heated up a pan to saute the mushrooms and maybe had a minute to separate some egg yolks before you took out the trash real quick and then went to find the blender along the way while some potatoes cook in the microwave.

I don't know how to split that up into 10 or 15 minute segments with any kind of accuracy.

To relate it to tech, they also bandied about the idea of each job having a "time in/time off" barcode you could scan off of each job ticket but that's bullshit, even though I know some companies do it, and I tried to explain why that's a terrible idea.

If I scan a job IN and send it to the big printer, then work on 2 or 5 other things while that prints and I don't remove it from the roll until 3 hours later and scan it OUT, it doesn't mean it took me 3 hours to print it, but that's how that would work. And then I've got middle managers asking me why it took three hours.

It didn't. I just set it in the proverbial microwave for 5 minutes and took it out much later when I got to it.

TL/DR: You can't just assign billable hours to things based on hard time stamps when you have 5 things to do at once

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

uggy posted:

Have you been to one? It's like the most pro customer shopping experience ever. I scan my cc at the door, i grab what i want, i walk out 45 seconds later and get a receipt in my email 2 mins later.

edit: nobody cares about having to "check out" or whether there are employees and there's no cart so it's not like that's a failure.

It must be nice living in a world without old people, is it a Logan's Run situation?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The_Fuzzinator posted:

the Stop and Shop i go to has this. i walk in, go to the kiosk with a bunch of scanners, Type in my Phone number one of the scanners light up. I take that one and walk around the store scanning items and putting them in my shopping bags, i get to the register hit "checkout" on the scanner and scan its barcode, My whole order appears on the register i swipe my card and im on my way

Yeah, Shop Rite had this 10 odd years ago. The biggest complaint I had with it was that

it

would

not

stop

making

loving

cash

register

"cha-ching"

sounds

because there were always "valuable" "digital coupons" that I absolutely HAD to know about, every loving 20 seconds or so. I liked the convenience but it was so infuriating to constantly hear that it turned me off entirely. I can only hope that they've turned the loving speakers off on them, or at least let you mute the goddamn "cha-ching" sounds.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OddObserver posted:

I feel like I should express my respect for Aldi checkouts here, which operate like 5x faster than a typical supermarket on account of using this newfangled thing called "ergonomics". (And also not bagging things).

Aldi's kicks rear end and I feel bad for people who don't have easy access to one.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

SimonChris posted:

My local (Danish) supermarket has an app, so you can scan the goods with your phone and pay with your stored credit card. I am surprised more places don't implement something like that. There are no hardware costs.

wegmans did this (northeastern US), but then pulled the feature out of the app (at least for my store). I presume their shrink went up too much or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The idea of having to record what I was working on at all times sounds micro-managey as gently caress and I don't like it. My current job has something along those lines but it's much more vague. It's essentially "work a" "work b" "meetings" and "breaks." I don't have to document "oh I spent 37 minutes working on the mcfluffington account" or whatever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Kwyndig posted:

It must be nice living in a world without old people, is it a Logan's Run situation?

They’re talking about a specific store with a specific clientele. It’s an Amazon store that you need an amazon account to use, and you’d only go into one if you wanted to do the whole “just pick things up and let the cameras automatically keep track of what you get and charge you accordingly when you walk out of the store”. There are no random old people or random clueless people walking in.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Professor Beetus posted:

The idea of having to record what I was working on at all times sounds micro-managey as gently caress and I don't like it. My current job has something along those lines but it's much more vague. It's essentially "work a" "work b" "meetings" and "breaks." I don't have to document "oh I spent 37 minutes working on the mcfluffington account" or whatever.

I once worked for an IT shop that billed in six minute increments. Apparently the owner's wife was a lawyer and lawyers keep six minute increments often, so they just went with that.

It was hell.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

When I did data transcription they originally wanted our time tracked in decimal hours, which is some bullshit because time doesn't work that way and they wanted no rounding. I was like, why not just track the time in minutes but that's what they wanted.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kwyndig posted:

When I did data transcription they originally wanted our time tracked in decimal hours, which is some bullshit because time doesn't work that way and they wanted no rounding. I was like, why not just track the time in minutes but that's what they wanted.

How many repeating decimal places were you allowed?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

When I did data transcription they originally wanted our time tracked in decimal hours, which is some bullshit because time doesn't work that way..

They just wanted you to join the revolution comrade!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All bills to be presented in Swatch internet time

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

We do decimal hours and it's all performative

No one is actually working on what they say they are - it's a game where whatever you estimated initially is the exact amount of time your team will book to that project over the financial year

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So much about work is basically daily improv performance art to sufficiently entertain middle management.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I once worked for an IT shop that billed in six minute increments. Apparently the owner's wife was a lawyer and lawyers keep six minute increments often, so they just went with that.

It was hell.

Kwyndig posted:

Decimal hours are the same thing as 6 minute increments, right? A tenth of an hour.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yes but they wanted no rounding so I'd have to tack on a .04 or whatever because it took me eight minutes.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, Shop Rite had this 10 odd years ago. The biggest complaint I had with it was that

it

would

not

stop

making

loving

cash

register

"cha-ching"

sounds

because there were always "valuable" "digital coupons" that I absolutely HAD to know about, every loving 20 seconds or so. I liked the convenience but it was so infuriating to constantly hear that it turned me off entirely. I can only hope that they've turned the loving speakers off on them, or at least let you mute the goddamn "cha-ching" sounds.

Good news is S&S's only made a generic Scanner beep. when they first introduced them, it would alert you to Coupons and such which i honestly missed because im too lazy to Pre-shop for coupons and all that.

CountScary
Oct 17, 2017

Clarste posted:

Decimal hours are the same thing as 6 minute increments, right? A tenth of an hour.

Yep and 6 seconds is 1/100 of an hour.

Honestly, decimal hours is not a big deal. I had to do it back in the early 2000's when I wrote a ticket system for the helpdesk of a medium sized University's IT department.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

CountScary posted:

Honestly, decimal hours is not a big deal. I had to do it back in the early 2000's when I wrote a ticket system for the helpdesk of a medium sized University's IT department.

You monster

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

CountScary posted:

:thunk:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Wait until they find out that there are 3600 seconds in an hour.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

karthun posted:

Wait until they find out that there are 3600 seconds in an hour.

He must be using decimal hours as well

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Austria is apparently constitutionally preserving the right to “pay anonymously” aka with cash so self checkout might end up being a moot point anyway if boomers decide that saving cash is the new front in the culture wars and they all start refusing to use credit cards

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

nachos posted:

Austria is apparently constitutionally preserving the right to “pay anonymously” aka with cash so self checkout might end up being a moot point anyway if boomers decide that saving cash is the new front in the culture wars and they all start refusing to use credit cards

Paying a machine with cash is a very much solved problem.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Volmarias posted:

Paying a machine with cash is a very much solved problem.
Yeah but it's often cheaper to just underpay and mistreat a person. Cash machines require care and maintenance. People are disposable.

Seriously though, any machines that accepts cash is a pain in the rear end. They're expensive and unreliable.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

nachos posted:

Boomers are definitely already doing this. My boomer relatives are posting memes on FB about using cash instead of cards so small businesses don't have to pay bank processing fees. They're not totally wrong, but are also ignoring the cost of handling cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nachos posted:

Card / contactless payments are great but I agree TBH, it’s extremely important to be able to use cash for lots of reasons and it’d be horrifying if it was done away with