Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Dwesa posted:

anyway, I guess these are no longer relevant

Oh it's this guy. Did his escape plan involve a santa suit and a sled pulled by a dog with a fake antler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Bluemillion posted:

Oh it's this guy. Did his escape plan involve a santa suit and a sled pulled by a dog with a fake antler?

It mostly involved preemptively confessing.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/SarahAshtonLV/status/1686643729292017665?s=20

Want a drink, ivan conscriptovich?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

They never learn, do they? this poo poo's happened too many times to count already and by now you'd think they'd have wised up, but nope.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

OK I get go to Africa and force children into the mines or whatever, but the whole attack Poland thing is :psyduck:

Attack them and do what exactly? Conquer territory? Find and loot some toilets and washing machines from whatever the Polish equivalent of Home Depot is?

Wonder how many you could get with just making no head-cut Vodka and leaving the methanol in?

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 2, 2023

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

zone posted:

They never learn, do they? this poo poo's happened too many times to count already and by now you'd think they'd have wised up, but nope.

Don't take food or drink from strangers.
Don't stand in formation within HIMARS range.
Don't bring boats close to the shore.
Don't send with no bullets on an attack.

They really haven't learned much at all since the start of this thing.

naem
May 29, 2011

Don’t invade Ukraine 🇺🇦

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1686789267027095557#m
He's probably done for. Can't say as i'm surprised this is how it might go down.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/sambendett/status/1686340262048497664
How likely is this scenario?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Might not be wholly effective as hitting Crimea with dozens of drones at once, given the huge amounts of EW and air defense relocated to Moscow, but this is only in case they didn't make the drones very resistant to EW jamming.

e: this doesn't allow for if Ukraine managed to find a weak spot in the defenses to fly their drones through, though.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

The "native russian speaker" part is an odd jab, what do you mean with that?

Because it's not really a choice? Native tongues might be used in private or with family but it's RF with an emphasis on the R

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

OK I get go to Africa and force children into the mines or whatever, but the whole attack Poland thing is :psyduck:

Attack them and do what exactly? Conquer territory? Find and loot some toilets and washing machines from whatever the Polish equivalent of Home Depot is?

Wonder how many you could get with just making no head-cut Vodka and leaving the methanol in?

These bozos were no poo poo drinking industrial alcohol by the crate during the siege of Kherson. They also, according to the conversations of mobiks that get intercepted on the regular, use vodka as an internal currency to buy their necessities.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

zone posted:

These bozos were no poo poo drinking industrial alcohol by the crate during the siege of Kherson. They also, according to the conversations of mobiks that get intercepted on the regular, use vodka as an internal currency to buy their necessities.

That's every nation's conscript soldier in every war ever

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dwesa posted:

anyway, I guess these are no longer relevant

lmao

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Probably low. Seems like a waste of resources for an attack that large which won't change the battlefield.

A few drones here and there to remind Moscow it's in a war is enough.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Not much value in a massed drone attack on Moscow City, there are plenty of military targets there but the risk of civilian collateral damage is too high. If you can do a mass drone attack on a city you can do it even better on the battlefield closer to you rather than 800 km away in hostile territory

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

pro starcraft loser posted:

Probably low. Seems like a waste of resources for an attack that large which won't change the battlefield.

A few drones here and there to remind Moscow it's in a war is enough.

I think you're misjudging what a major attack would do to Russia's ability to project supply into Ukraine. I mean they could blow up fertilizer plants and cause huge explosions, or pop a few oil terminals and really make an impact on their exports which power up the war machine.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Victis posted:

Because it's not really a choice? Native tongues might be used in private or with family but it's RF with an emphasis on the R

Nobody said anything different, who are you arguing with?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I think you're misjudging what a major attack would do to Russia's ability to project supply into Ukraine. I mean they could blow up fertilizer plants and cause huge explosions, or pop a few oil terminals and really make an impact on their exports which power up the war machine.

How would either of these examples impact Russia's ability to project supply into Ukraine?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I was assuming these would be small payloads for psychological affect.

If they target plants and terminals that'd make a big difference.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
reminder that the drones doing this can only carry 20kg payloads so that uh, certainly limits your choices of available targets. a 20kg explosive would barely scratch most of the strategic industrial infrastructure gigolo is talking about

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EasilyConfused posted:

How would either of these examples impact Russia's ability to project supply into Ukraine?

Destroying oil terminals close to Ukraine would mean that Russia has to find supply elsewhere to keep their tanks and vehicles fueled

Fertilizer plants are a big Russian export and dropping them would just overall make it harder to keep finding replacement parts or smuggle electronics for cruise missiles in.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I was assuming these would be small payloads for psychological affect.

If they target plants and terminals that'd make a big difference.

The only effective targets you'd get with a 20kg payload (which is what these drones carry) would be fuel terminals, air defense systems, and ammo dumps anyway.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

reminder that the drones doing this can only carry 20kg payloads so that uh, certainly limits your choices of available targets. a 20kg explosive would barely scratch most of the strategic industrial infrastructure gigolo is talking about

Wait they're only 20KG? What about the 1000KM 75KG drones we heard about a few months or so ago?

20KG seems very small to do much with. An oil terminals has a lot of dainty parts on it though so I would think there are things that can be hit specifically to cause cascade effects

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Wait they're only 20KG? What about the 1000KM 75KG drones we heard about a few months or so ago?

20KG seems very small to do much with. An oil terminals has a lot of dainty parts on it though.

20kg payload

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

20KG seems very small to do much with. An oil terminals has a lot of dainty parts on it though so I would think there are things that can be hit specifically to cause cascade effects

20kg payload. 75kg would be about 1.5x as strong as the Shahed's maximum payload (30-50kg). With drones you have to balance payload vs total weight vs range. Bigger bomb = heavier drone = shorter range is the general rule. You can tweak those values to get a drone that does what you want it to do decently well. Or if you're the United States, you throw $200 million at the problem and come out with an MQ-9 Reaper and never have to worry about it again

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 2, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Destroying oil terminals close to Ukraine would mean that Russia has to find supply elsewhere to keep their tanks and vehicles fueled

Fertilizer plants are a big Russian export and dropping them would just overall make it harder to keep finding replacement parts or smuggle electronics for cruise missiles in.

Gotcha, misunderstood what you meant.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
I've got Polish family by marriage and my kids go there to visit their cousins. I'm not worried in the slightest. Thanks, Nato.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I kind of chose those targets specifically to discuss because they feel to be the most explosive targets. As in Cascade effect is very possible. So the factory or terminal blews itself up with a small push.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

GABA ghoul posted:

How the gently caress was this idiot going to claim asylum in Hungary when he is a US citizen?
Ukraine is doing America's bidding, thus this is US persecution, and Victoria Neuland hates him personally and wants him to suffer. Do some research OP.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

How the gently caress was this idiot going to claim asylum in Hungary when he is a US citizen? He did not experience any persecution in the US. I don't get it. They would just tell him to go home?

Also, AFAIK extradition treaties only apply for things that are crimes in both countries. Since the US is not under martial law and in an existential struggle for naked survival, I doubt distributing Russian war propaganda is illegal there. I doubt anyone would actually extradite him. He just needs to get across the border into the EU and the gently caress off back home to the US.

they most certainly do not.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I kind of chose those targets specifically to discuss because they feel to be the most explosive targets. As in Cascade effect is very possible. So the factory or terminal blews itself up with a small push.

things that go boom are typically built to make it very hard for outside explosive things to make it go boom, even in russia

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Von Pluring posted:

I've got Polish family by marriage and my kids go there to visit their cousins. I'm not worried in the slightest. Thanks, Nato.

NATO had said that an attack by Wagner would be considered an attack by Russia. That's obviously true, but I wish they hadn't said that.

An attack by Wanger that isn't tied to Russia means Poland and anyone else inclined could go ham on Wager. Even targeting sites inside Belarus.

Russia couldn't claim they are under attack unless they admit Wagner was their men. Either way, Wagner is destroyed.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

NATO had said that an attack by Wagner would be considered an attack by Russia. That's obviously true, but I wish they hadn't said that.

An attack by Wanger that isn't tied to Russia means Poland and anyone else inclined could go ham on Wager. Even targeting sites inside Belarus.

Russia couldn't claim they are under attack unless they admit Wagner was their men. Either way, Wagner is destroyed.

That's not really how that would work. If Poland targeted anything inside Belarus that would be the same as Poland targeting things inside Russia because of their Union State. And Russia doesn't deny Wagner's connection to the Russian government anymore anyway, Putin dropped that a while ago

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Wouldn't an attack by a NATO member on a CSTO member trigger their equivalent to article 5? I doubt now that they have nukes stationed in Belarus that Russia would turn a blind eye like they did when Armenia and Azerbaijan last fought.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I really doubt anything at all will happen out of it. They're stupid but not completely suicidal. Anything minor will get swept under the rug so that we can keep pretending that nothing is happening.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

weg posted:

Wouldn't an attack by a NATO member on a CSTO member trigger their equivalent to article 5? I doubt now that they have nukes stationed in Belarus that Russia would turn a blind eye like they did when Armenia and Azerbaijan last fought.

Lol when Russia doesn't activate Article 4.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

weg posted:

Probably, but considering Russia has turned a blind eye to all of the violations in the CSTO states recently, I would be shocked if any CSTO outside of Belarus would even consider helping Belarus or Russia if they were attacked. CSTO was basically finished by that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

weg posted:

In theory yeah but as the CSTO's military capacity is 90% Russia, a Poland vs CSTO conflict is not much different than a Poland vs Russia conflict. It wouldn't turn into a NATO conflict in your scenario though because Article 5 can't be invoked for offensive action initiated by an alliance member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

The loving national chauvinist stupidity of Russia is astounding

Yeah when you invade your neighbor they can attack you right back fuckwads. Did you really not even consider that possibility till now?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 2, 2023