Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

All the good DLC stuff in BOTW just came with the game this time though.

Well yeah because this game was just a $60 expansion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lockback posted:

All the good DLC stuff in BOTW just came with the game this time though.

not the horse teleporting gear :argh:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MarcusSA posted:

Well yeah because this game was just a $60 expansion

the game is good actually

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cygni posted:

the game is good actually

Of course because it came out 5 years ago. No one said it wasn’t good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Does anyone use the GeForce highlights feature? Bascially it auto captures clips from games when you get kills and stuff. It's actually really handy because you don't have to do anything. I was just going through my clips and I noticed that they were really washed out and the colors were off. I had thought maybe it was windows HDR causing it but there are clips where the colors are correct. Here are 3 different clips with in the past few days. No driver changes or anything and the highlights feature doesn't have any options besides the storage space it uses.

This was 2 days ago
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1091868530904944682/1136033308267003945/Fortnite_2023.07.26_-_09.53.13.32.DVR.mp4
This was an hour ago
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1091868530904944682/1136033346619723886/Fortnite_2023.08.01_-_12.40.09.113.DVR.mp4
This was last night
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1091868530904944682/1136033399644115075/Fortnite_2023.07.31_-_23.40.15.103.DVR.mp4

The bottom video is how 90% of the videos look. Anyone have any ideas? I did google it but I don't think very many people actually use this feature.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ive had the same issue with shadowplay recording, not using HDR

never got to the bottom of it, it comes and goes with no rhyme or reason

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

ive had the same issue with shadowplay recording, not using HDR

never got to the bottom of it, it comes and goes with no rhyme or reason

Yeah it doesn’t make sense which is why I’m not sure it can be tied to anything. I just tried to make 4 videos with the GFE recording shortcut and it was fine so :shrug:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I know people like to poop on fortnite but I've always liked how clean it looks, especially since the UE5 upgrade

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it doesn’t make sense which is why I’m not sure it can be tied to anything. I just tried to make 4 videos with the GFE recording shortcut and it was fine so :shrug:

i can say its not specific to the automatic highlights feature at least, ive had it happen with manual recording, and in games other than fortnite/unreal (specifically apex)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

MarcusSA posted:

The bottom video is how 90% of the videos look. Anyone have any ideas? I did google it but I don't think very many people actually use this feature.

Its getting the color palettes/spaces (different software calls it different things) messed up some how. I don't use it so I can't tell you exactly what settings to tweak but click around for something in the menus for that. It'll be something like Rec.709 is what it should be using I believe.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

On a similar note, not sure why but the Windows screenshot tool outputs weirdly colored images on my desktop with an OLED ultrawide for some reason

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Its getting the color palettes/spaces (different software calls it different things) messed up some how. I don't use it so I can't tell you exactly what settings to tweak but click around for something in the menus for that. It'll be something like Rec.709 is what it should be using I believe.

Ok thanks I’ll poke around with that tomorrow!

shrike82 posted:

On a similar note, not sure why but the Windows screenshot tool outputs weirdly colored images on my desktop with an OLED ultrawide for some reason

Do you have HDR enabled? On windows 10 it used to do that but I think it’s fixed in windows 11.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

shrike82 posted:

If you take a screenshot with windows key + g
Gamebar stuff it won't do this.

Also if you discord stream it seems bright and blown out to non HDR people.

Assuming you and I have similar monitors, there aren't too many OLED ultra wides

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

three years into the console gen and we're porting games... back to last gen?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1686485636700659712

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if that's a deliberate "this can generate more sales by including this market" move, or it's more of a "the people doing the porting don't have anything better to do, might as well use them there" kind of move more akin to Paradox's cosmetic DLCs

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

that's a pretty big effort just to keep people from being bored. the ps4/xbo market being substantial enough to make a port worthwhile sounds more likely to me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

If you take a screenshot with windows key + g
Gamebar stuff it won't do this.

Also if you discord stream it seems bright and blown out to non HDR people.

Assuming you and I have similar monitors, there aren't too many OLED ultra wides

The Discord thing is most annoying, I don't want to turn off HDR just so friends don't have to see a washed out image :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

repiv posted:

three years into the console gen and we're porting games... back to last gen?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1686485636700659712
They need to spend more time fixing the released versions

I was going to buy this on PC but I had heard all of the horror stories about the performance problems. Well, the PS5 version isn’t great either. A TON of pop-in, lots of slowdowns in certain areas, and also some glitches like falling through the floor of an area or the side of a building

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They need to spend more time fixing the released versions

I was going to buy this on PC but I had heard all of the horror stories about the performance problems. Well, the PS5 version isn’t great either. A TON of pop-in, lots of slowdowns in certain areas, and also some glitches like falling through the floor of an area or the side of a building

It's really likely that efforts to port it to previous gen systems would result in optimizations that benefit PCs and current gen systems too, unless they fully separate the versions for some reason.

poo poo, I wonder if Sony / MS would start letting PS4 Pro / Xbox One X only releases out the door now? The One X has 12GB of RAM in it!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If it runs under 30 FPS on PS5 I can’t imagine how bad it would run on a base PS4 or Pro

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlamingLiberal posted:

If it runs under 30 FPS on PS5 I can’t imagine how bad it would run on a base PS4 or Pro

Control shipped on PS4 in a state where it spent a lot of time under 20fps. I actually played the first Jedi game on a poverty Xbox One S, where it had huge pop-in, some cutscenes were broken, and it was in blur-o-vision 720p. They're going to crap out something sub-720p 15-20fps and it'll sell.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2019-control-console-face-off posted:

Both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One can see prolonged frame-rate drops in sustained combat, dropping all the way down to 10 frames per second at its absolute worst. Perhaps surprisingly, it's the PS4 that drops hardest and longest, making it noticeably the least performant version of the game. It ran so poorly that we ran through a range of checks, from rebooting the console completely to running Control on other PS4 units (the fan kicking in hard on a launch model). Nothing helped - this is how the game actually plays and it's not pretty.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

They're going to crap out something sub-720p 15-20fps and it'll sell.

if 15-20fps is good enough for ocarina of time, it's good enough for star wars :colbert:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If they're doing the port in-house it might just be a good training exercise if they've done a bunch of hiring recently to get the new staff on board with their tools.

Twerk from Home posted:

Control shipped on PS4 in a state where it spent a lot of time under 20fps. I actually played the first Jedi game on a poverty Xbox One S, where it had huge pop-in, some cutscenes were broken, and it was in blur-o-vision 720p.

Yeah this was my experience trying to play Control on an Xbox One S, Microsoft and Sony might've required games to run on both versions of the console but "does it run?" seemed to be as far as the quality control went on those non-pro versions. It's one of the reasons I'm so hostile to the idea of a PS5 Pro with memories in mind of how most big devs seemed to just place the One X and PS4 Pro as the new base system.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wonder if that's a deliberate "this can generate more sales by including this market" move, or it's more of a "the people doing the porting don't have anything better to do, might as well use them there" kind of move more akin to Paradox's cosmetic DLCs

Tons of people on PS4 alone would buy this - I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 version ended up outselling the PS5 version even if it gets released a year+ later.

Twerk from Home posted:

Control shipped on PS4 in a state where it spent a lot of time under 20fps. I actually played the first Jedi game on a poverty Xbox One S, where it had huge pop-in, some cutscenes were broken, and it was in blur-o-vision 720p. They're going to crap out something sub-720p 15-20fps and it'll sell.

I watched my wife play Control on base PS4 (after I played it on PC) and while the performance seemed pretty suspect when the action picked up sometimes, overall it seemed OK. This was during summer 2020, so maybe some performance patches came out by then.

njsykora posted:

Yeah this was my experience trying to play Control on an Xbox One S, Microsoft and Sony might've required games to run on both versions of the console but "does it run?" seemed to be as far as the quality control went on those non-pro versions. It's one of the reasons I'm so hostile to the idea of a PS5 Pro with memories in mind of how most big devs seemed to just place the One X and PS4 Pro as the new base system.

I don't think this was the case at all last gen. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X had such a small install base, no developer would purposefully target them as the new "base spec".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I played Control on PS4 and while the game sometimes had brief slowdowns it was not on the level of what we are seeing with Jedi Survivor

Games are just in general being released like 75% finished because nobody’s punishing these companies for doing it

If disaster that was CP2077 on last-gen consoles didn’t change anything then nothing will

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:negative:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/evidence-shows-ai-driven-companies-are-buying-up-gaming-gpus

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Lol, a 4060 can't do 120 tflops of fp16. Also, lol, no, wonder prices of the 3090 are still so high. All of those crypto bros should be selling off compute.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah AI is the new crypto for tech bros

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'll worry if it actually leads to cards being out of stock, which is absolutely not the case right now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

didn't geohot just have a huge meltdown and give up on using AMD hardware for this startup, did he already do a complete 180 again

Yudo
May 15, 2003

repiv posted:

didn't geohot just have a huge meltdown and give up on using AMD hardware for this startup, did he already do a complete 180 again

24gb of vram for $600 less per unit than Nvidia I guess was too hard to abandon. Also rocm seems to be evolving...slowly.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I bought a 6700XT earlier this year since it was the best value-proposition at the time in my price-range, and overall I've been happy with how it's performed in terms of running 1440p60 in good-ultra quality depending on the game. However, I am having a hell of a time with it WRT my dual monitor setup, and am wondering if anyone knows whether there is some kind of solution for it? I have two identical monitors with 75Hz refresh-rate so there should be no issue with synchronization in that way. I always have my games on one monitor only, not across both. Usually I have my music playlist, a stream, or game resources (walkthroughs, etc) on my other monitor depending on the game, and I'll usually tab out a decent amount for the latter two.

I have kept my drivers updated, but not noticed any significant improvements. I also did some stuff to try and solve it back in spring which also didn't seem to have an effect - I don't remember exactly what it was, but some BIOS settings as well as various options in the AMD software thing (I have since uninstalled that since it didn't help and the software was generally annoying).

My main symptoms are:
- Crashing. For some reason, the game that by far has had this issue the worst is Magic Arena. To be fair, this has seemed to improve, but I have no idea if that is just random chance. At its worst I could rely on it crashing at least once and probably twice over an evening of MTGA play, while it is a lot rarer with other games. The crashing symptoms match ones I found on google for this card, which was apparently from the entire AMD driver crashing. Screens go black, but audio still works. Sometimes waiting for drivers to restart after 30-40 seconds works and image returns, other times I have to power down and restart.
- Stuttering. This is the most common symptom for more resource intensive games, and unlike the crashing this feels like it has worsened recently (might just be due to some games being worse about it than others though). This is at its worst when playing regular fullscreen, but I also get it with borderless windowed. It occurs mostly but not exclusively just as I move my mouse from one monitor to the other.

If I don't have a game or similar GPU-heavy program running, I never have either of these issues occur.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
high temps or weird over-/underclocks tend to crash things, but try downloading hwinfo64 and see if there are any high/red max temps that look suspicious

i've seen stories about qa missing thermal pads and getting the paste wrong somewhere in the manufacturing process, so hopefully you can rule out thermal issues this way

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

Lisa Su called him up and soothed him like an angry child. There, there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Insurrectionist posted:

My main symptoms are:
- Crashing. For some reason, the game that by far has had this issue the worst is Magic Arena. To be fair, this has seemed to improve, but I have no idea if that is just random chance. At its worst I could rely on it crashing at least once and probably twice over an evening of MTGA play, while it is a lot rarer with other games. The crashing symptoms match ones I found on google for this card, which was apparently from the entire AMD driver crashing. Screens go black, but audio still works. Sometimes waiting for drivers to restart after 30-40 seconds works and image returns, other times I have to power down and restart.
- Stuttering. This is the most common symptom for more resource intensive games, and unlike the crashing this feels like it has worsened recently (might just be due to some games being worse about it than others though). This is at its worst when playing regular fullscreen, but I also get it with borderless windowed. It occurs mostly but not exclusively just as I move my mouse from one monitor to the other.

If I don't have a game or similar GPU-heavy program running, I never have either of these issues occur.

you must be mistaken, AMD drivers have been good for like 10 years now. RBMK drivers do not crash.

try rolling back to the 23.5 release, the 23.7 are generally borked for a lot of people. May not help your specific issue but that one specifically does appear to be troublesome.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

kliras posted:

nvidia vsr (video super res) will be available for firefox in version 116 later this month btw: flip gfx.webrender.super-resolution.nvidia to true in about :config to get ready for it

Did this actually make it in to 116? I didn't see any mention in the release notes.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

pairofdimes posted:

Did this actually make it in to 116? I didn't see any mention in the release notes.
i don't know how to follow firefox roadmaps, but the fix to enable it was targeted for 116 afaict

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

kliras posted:

i don't know how to follow firefox roadmaps, but the fix to enable it was targeted for 116 afaict

Thanks, I'll try it out when I'm on my desktop.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
So it does appear to be working, you just have to make sure it's enabled both in the drivers and in Firefox and then restart Firefox. I found the image quality improvement was only noticeable to me when it was a really lower quality video with obvious macroblocking and noise. If it was an already clear 720p video then I could hardly tell the difference. Power wise though it was definitely noticeable, depending on the video it was 3 to 4 times as much power. (13W -> 45-65W on a 4070)

I also tried the special VLC build with it enabled (https://downloads.videolan.org/testing/vlc-rtx-upscaler/) and it worked pretty much the same, which I guess is expected since it's the driver doing all the magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Didn't know about the RTX upscaler VLC build. Considering my 3080 usually runs at ~30W idle due to the number of monitors I have I might give that a shot.

(speaking of idle power, on Windows 10 my 3080 ran at over 110W idle, even on a clean install. Windows 11 has it at 30W "idle" with chromium GPU acceleration doing mild tasks. amazing poo poo)