Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-AVX10

intels resolution for AVX512 being too big for E-cores is to introduce yet another new instruction set which is basically AVX512 again, except this time 512bit registers are optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-AVX10

intels resolution for AVX512 being too big for E-cores is to introduce yet another new instruction set which is basically AVX512 again, except this time 512bit registers are optional

This is what they should have done in the first place. AVX-512's most interesting and useful parts are the new instructions, not the 512-bit wide registers. It's 7 years late, but better late than never.

It's going to take many years at this point before there's an install base worth targeting this for, and the situation is even worse now that Intel market share is plummeting and AMD does have AVX-512 support on their small (Zen 4c) cores.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.phoronix.com/news/Intel-APX

they're also iterating on the core scalar instructions for the first time in a while, notably doubling the number of general purpose registers

software will need to be recompiled to see any benefit though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

turning big dials that say "number of scalar registers" and "vector register width" and looking back at the silicon teams for approval like a contestant on the price is right

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Twerk from Home posted:

This is what they should have done in the first place. AVX-512's most interesting and useful parts are the new instructions, not the 512-bit wide registers. It's 7 years late, but better late than never.

It's going to take many years at this point before there's an install base worth targeting this for, and the situation is even worse now that Intel market share is plummeting and AMD does have AVX-512 support on their small (Zen 4c) cores.

Yeah they missed the mark by not using variable width vector instructions like ARM has instead of AVX-512. Guess I'll check back in around 2030 to see if this gets any adoption.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

variable width vectors are a cool idea in principle but they seem annoying to use in practice if you're doing anything more involved than looping over big SoA buffers (e.g. AoSoA)

googles highway is the only SIMD wrapper library i've seen which attempts to cover SVE and the hoops they have to jump through to handle unsized vectors are pretty horrific

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SwissArmyDruid posted:

a combination oculink and thunderbolt egpu dock hit the market, and after benchmarks, it's not even funny how much bandwidth thunderbolt overhead consumes, which makes one wonder, why consumers even let it get to market dominance in the first place.

The appeal of thunderbolt is that a single small cable can link your laptop up to a dock providing 100W power, a high res external display, ethernet, USB, sound out, etc, and it will all perform well.

Oculink is just a PCIe link. No USB-C power delivery, no tunneling of displayport or USB, just one multi-lane PCIe link. There isn't a mass market for no performance compromises eGPU, so that's pretty much why Oculink is only a niche thing and Thunderbolt is everywhere.

priznat posted:

I had always assumed that thunderbolt just passed the pcie lanes through but I guess there is more to it than that.

Also lol oculink, rest in piss

TB is a packet protocol designed to encapsulate other protocols. As far as I know the PCIe layer they chose to encapsulate is transaction - they're wrapping TLPs inside thunderbolt packets. Similar stuff applies to other things which can be tunneled through thunderbolt like USB and DP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

https://archive.org/details/maximum-pc-the-nearly-complete-collection/Maximum%20PC/2001/038%20Maximum%20PC%2011-1-2001/page/n29/mode/2up

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Pretty much why Crysis runs like dogshit over a decade later.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I feel like it was only the a subsection of the press that actually expected clock frequency to rise to 10GHz, since I have a vague memory of a conversation between some friends that involved even just moving from 3.5 to 4GHz as being a very very big ask.
I'm honestly surprised we're seeing +5GHz nowadays.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Pretty much why Crysis runs like dogshit over a decade later.
That's more to do with it being incredibly poorly optimized and how that entangles with the soft-realtime nature of video games where they have to finish the complete game-state in less than 16.66ms in order to be able to manage 60 fps.
This is further complicated by how nobody has yet find a way to offload anything but some background calculations, netcode, and a few other things onto multiple threads.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 1, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember when I was an undergraduate electrical engineering student, the fastest transistor in the world was 500GHz*.

That was almost 20 years ago.

*It was Indium Galium Arsenide

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was trying to remember how far away it got using XOC methods and found that as of 6 months ago the single core frequency record is held by an Intel again: 9008MHz on a 13900k using Liquid Helium.

https://youtu.be/RSUlvaE6N1U?si=ifIYpYnM55lc_-85

It’s still funny that for 10 years nothing came close to piledriver of all things. It looks like the netburst record on hwbot is 8362MHz

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
?????
net burst double pumps though, which clock is that talking about

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

?????
net burst double pumps though, which clock is that talking about

https://hwbot.org/submission/2440102_wytiwx_cpu_frequency_celeron_d_352_8543.71_mhz

It’s really funny to me that the rankings for single core frequency on LN2 (or loving Helium now I guess) now go Raptor Lake, Piledriver, Cedarmill but hitting an absurd number at -250C for 5 minutes isn’t a design goal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

repiv posted:

turning big dials that say "number of scalar registers" and "vector register width" and looking back at the silicon teams for approval like a contestant on the price is right

well, getting away from that is what keller did with the royal core series. "rentable units" are supposedly the replacement for hyperthreading in the royal core series, starting with arrow lake. it's not quite clear what "rentable unit" means, but presumably some kind of execution resource that can be allocated to a thread, or a shared unit between multiple threads that is shared in a module (like FPUs in CMT)? But either way they are thinking about managing that balance of registers/visibility complexity/etc bloating area per core etc.

Someone recently asked me where the term "scoreboarding" comes from, and the answer is the CDC 6600. Which uses barrel processing as well, where threads get scheduled onto shared physical cores as they're ready to execute. And the Peripheral Processor concept is an interesting one too. The idea is you have 12 big processors you can do an async launch onto and they'll go load some file from disk or do some processing subtask etc. And that's not too dissimilar from the idea of modern async promise/await coding. So the central vector processor can just blast along doing its thing and let the Peripheral Processors worry about the administrivia.

Maybe rentable units are something like the idea of thread-level barrel processing. Like you have a bank of thread contexts for a 4c or 8c cluster, and the cores themselves just grab a thread in the ready-to-run state, run it, and put it back into the bank when it needs to wait. How do you really describe the core count in that situation? If it's 8 p-cores and only one thread is executing at a time per core... it's an 8/8 processor. But there are a lot of other ones in a close-to-running state. GPUs do the same thing with warp scheduling to cover for the latency of memory access... if a thread wants to go out to memory, sleep it until it comes back and process some other thread in the meantime.

(And that's an interesting development in light of the Thread Director - it totally seems like overkill for big/little but maybe it makes sense to have this facility that knows about process state and scheduling and priority, living on the die.)

In general I still def feel that at least SMT2 is worth it, let some other thread have a crack at any spare execution resources. Even if you are barrel-processing it's still units that are getting filled that weren't before. But I think it's really an increasing nightmare for speculative correctness etc. If a core has to track two threads at once, it has to track two sets of state and speculative visibility etc. And the overhead of that may be more than it appears at first crack, on top of just being more complex to do correctly. On top of that if it produces even a marginal reduction in area/complexity that can be plowed back into having more of them. But you've taken a crack at execution unit waste - if it's stalled, move it back to the bank, or move it to a slower core, or whatever. So hopefully that would translate into better occupancy on the units such that there's less waste for SMT to exploit.

the other weird one is IBM's thing where there is no L3 but you have superfast L2s that can be read by any other socket in the machine at essentially line speed, and they build a tagged cache thing where evictions from one machine are pushed into the others, so everyone lives in one space and you have private caches built on top of a shared virtual cache infra

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 2, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel is restoring pay and benefits and apparently the junior level engineers are getting $250-$500 in RSUs. That’s a lol

Senior engineers are getting lost wages back in the form of RSUs too?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Intel is restoring pay and benefits and apparently the junior level engineers are getting $250-$500 in RSUs. That’s a lol

Senior engineers are getting lost wages back in the form of RSUs too?

Lol I’m on sabbatical right now and… what?!? That’s gotta be a fuckin joke. I really don’t want to open my laptop and read about a colossal shortcoming in restore & reward.

E: you made me look into this. The $250-500 is only for people who weren’t eligible for the pay cuts.

But they are dressing up a batch of RSUs as the “reward” portion even though it’s really just part of the “restore.” The cool part is they don’t even vest for another 15 months, so gently caress you if you leave Intel before then; you just gave the company money for nothing. lovely.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 2, 2023

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Paul MaudDib posted:

well, getting away from that is what keller did with the royal core series. "rentable units" are supposedly the replacement for hyperthreading in the royal core series, starting with arrow lake. it's not quite clear what "rentable unit" means, but presumably some kind of execution resource that can be allocated to a thread, or a shared unit between multiple threads that is shared in a module (like FPUs in CMT)? But either way they are thinking about managing that balance of registers/visibility complexity/etc bloating area per core etc.

Someone recently asked me where the term "scoreboarding" comes from, and the answer is the CDC 6600. Which uses barrel processing as well, where threads get scheduled onto shared physical cores as they're ready to execute. And the Peripheral Processor concept is an interesting one too. The idea is you have 12 big processors you can do an async launch onto and they'll go load some file from disk or do some processing subtask etc. And that's not too dissimilar from the idea of modern async promise/await coding. So the central vector processor can just blast along doing its thing and let the Peripheral Processors worry about the administrivia.

Maybe rentable units are something like the idea of thread-level barrel processing. Like you have a bank of thread contexts for a 4c or 8c cluster, and the cores themselves just grab a thread in the ready-to-run state, run it, and put it back into the bank when it needs to wait. How do you really describe the core count in that situation? If it's 8 p-cores and only one thread is executing at a time per core... it's an 8/8 processor. But there are a lot of other ones in a close-to-running state. GPUs do the same thing with warp scheduling to cover for the latency of memory access... if a thread wants to go out to memory, sleep it until it comes back and process some other thread in the meantime.

(And that's an interesting development in light of the Thread Director - it totally seems like overkill for big/little but maybe it makes sense to have this facility that knows about process state and scheduling and priority, living on the die.)

In general I still def feel that at least SMT2 is worth it, let some other thread have a crack at any spare execution resources. Even if you are barrel-processing it's still units that are getting filled that weren't before. But I think it's really an increasing nightmare for speculative correctness etc. If a core has to track two threads at once, it has to track two sets of state and speculative visibility etc. And the overhead of that may be more than it appears at first crack, on top of just being more complex to do correctly. On top of that if it produces even a marginal reduction in area/complexity that can be plowed back into having more of them. But you've taken a crack at execution unit waste - if it's stalled, move it back to the bank, or move it to a slower core, or whatever. So hopefully that would translate into better occupancy on the units such that there's less waste for SMT to exploit.

the other weird one is IBM's thing where there is no L3 but you have superfast L2s that can be read by any other socket in the machine at essentially line speed, and they build a tagged cache thing where evictions from one machine are pushed into the others, so everyone lives in one space and you have private caches built on top of a shared virtual cache infra

This is all really interesting, thank you. Can you link to some resources so I can read more about this?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Lol I’m on sabbatical right now and… what?!? That’s gotta be a fuckin joke. I really don’t want to open my laptop and read about a colossal shortcoming in restore & reward.

E: you made me look into this. The $250-500 is only for people who weren’t eligible for the pay cuts.

Yeah I meant the 6s and lower who didn’t get paycuts but also haven’t gotten a compensation bump. Can’t imagine a talented junior engineer sticking around if given $250-500 as yearly retention carrot

quote:

But they are dressing up a batch of RSUs as the “reward” portion even though it’s really just part of the “restore.” The cool part is they don’t even vest for another 15 months, so gently caress you if you leave Intel before then; you just gave the company money for nothing. lovely.

You can also look at it as an interest free loan to Intel from the employees in the best case

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 2, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

WhyteRyce posted:

You can also look at it as an interest free loan to Intel from the employees in the best case

I really, really want someone on an investor call to ask this question framed in the same way.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

canyoneer posted:

I really, really want someone on an investor call to ask this question framed in the same way.

So that you can hear the roar applause from the investors?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I once had to give a quarterly bonus to a report that was $172. It was extremely embarrassing. It would have been better if instead they just treated everyone to a nice dinner or something.

It wasn’t intel but was another microchip type company (ie Microchip)

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah I meant the 6s and lower who didn’t get paycuts but also haven’t gotten a compensation bump. Can’t imagine a talented junior engineer sticking around if given $250-500 as yearly retention carrot

If you were a 5 and under you didn't even get RSUs as the "raise" this year, you got a ~$5k cash award that vests over 3 years (or something like that). Lol at the idea of trying to retain newbie engineers with that kind of package.

Just submitting a wifi reimbursement every month will net more than that entire RSU.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

priznat posted:

I once had to give a quarterly bonus to a report that was $172. It was extremely embarrassing. It would have been better if instead they just treated everyone to a nice dinner or something.

It wasn’t intel but was another microchip type company (ie Microchip)

A friend managed to get the QPB+ award (a 50% boost IIRC compared to regular Quarterly bonus), just as the bonuses went to poo poo. Lol at the extra 0.2 days of pay for exemplar work.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Bonuses are never proportional to the extra hours required to earn them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think I put it somewhere in this thread, but i want to say my last quarterly bonus was like $20.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think I put it somewhere in this thread, but i want to say my last quarterly bonus was like $20.

Wow. That has less value than a year-long membership to the "Jelly of The Month" club.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Bonuses are never proportional to the extra hours required to earn them.

You have to go to the dark side sales for that

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Plus the larger the bonus, the worse the human being.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

are quarterly bonuses really a normal thing in that industry? don’t think i’ve heard of that anywhere else

why not roll it into the annual (if your industry does those either)? quarterly seems like a lot of work

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Cygni posted:

are quarterly bonuses really a normal thing in that industry? don’t think i’ve heard of that anywhere else

why not roll it into the annual (if your industry does those either)? quarterly seems like a lot of work

And 500 four times a year is still embarrassing, like what are you doing Intel

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

wait until you find out about most jobs lol. no idea if that’s competitive in that industry tho

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My co does 2x a year but previous was quarterly and it lined up with the earnings so if they weren’t great tough nuts.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel used to not do it quarterly but corporate figured out that they can sell giving you your money quicker/more frequently vs. not making your bonus suck in the first place

BK pitched it as just giving you your money faster

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

wait until you find out about most jobs lol. no idea if that’s competitive in that industry tho

It's not, which is why Intel's corporate strategy has always been to hire a thousand fresh college grads and lose most of them to Broadcom, Samsung, or other after a few years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just from the outside looking in, the internal bureaucracy at Intel must be pretty insane. We have access to the Intel PDK site and the hoops we have to go to get things we should be able to access unlocked is nuts.

For the granite rapids cscripts the applications engineer swore to us that we should have access, and we kept saying no we don’t, and finally he came back and sheepishly said another internal group’s permissions were overriding his so yeah, that’s why we were locked out. Should be open now though!

It was not, so he has to go back and figure out if there is another lock on it preventing it, lol. It has been literally months of asking at this point.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

It's not, which is why Intel's corporate strategy has always been to hire a thousand fresh college grads and lose most of them to Broadcom, Samsung, or other after a few years.

If you're looking for a chuckle or want to put a smile on the face of an ex-Intel engineer who moved elsewhere, ask them how hard was it to walk away from their unvested Intel RSUs. Or what their old group's counter offer to stay was (if offered).

Also I once had to explain the whole grade 3/5/6/7 progression thing to a boss who has been in the tech industry for over 20 years but never interacted with Intel and he thought it was a stupid treadmill to jerk around junior engineers.

priznat posted:

For the granite rapids cscripts the applications engineer swore to us that we should have access, and we kept saying no we don’t, and finally he came back and sheepishly said another internal group’s permissions were overriding his so yeah, that’s why we were locked out. Should be open now though!

I want to murder whoever wrote those cscripts

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 3, 2023

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

mmkay posted:

A friend managed to get the QPB+ award (a 50% boost IIRC compared to regular Quarterly bonus), just as the bonuses went to poo poo. Lol at the extra 0.2 days of pay for exemplar work.

I got one in q3 and yeah it was like 170 dollars or something.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

I want to murder whoever wrote those cscripts

:agreed:

I enjoy how they are forever locked to python 3.8 and ONLY 3.8.

Also I am going to attempt to build the hwapi driver for Fedora so I can run them inband (would make automating easier!), pray for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

wet_goods posted:

I got one in q3 and yeah it was like 170 dollars or something.
Not at Intel but last time I got 1 (one) RSU. It was on top of the regular compensation but still it comes off as a joke. I think I would actually murder for $500k of RSUs though :(