Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

a robot could never replace my job posts

e: what a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Oh my goon project, it's been unbearably hot in Texas and well all of the world right now and my doggy door leads to a concrete patio that can get up to 140f or 50c. I don't want my dog kids to hurt their paws on that, so I got an IoT sprinkler and a raspberry pi with Bluetooth, and a camera, initially, I was just triggering it when the camera saw something walk into the kitchen cause that the doggie door but that wasn't efficient when it was me doing it, so I tried using ml picture analysis but that poo poo won't loving work on a raspberry pi so I discovered I could buy small Bluetooth chips and imbed in my dog's collar and now when they get within 5ft of the kitchen it will trigger the sprinkler system on the patio and save my doggies paws.

code to be published soon, save your dogs paws!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

guppy posted:

but the data don't matter because it's not based on data, it's based on vibes.

Pretty much. When my old company decided to end WFH, the VP who presented the town hall announcing it kept telling us he was an engineer so he needed to see hard data to justify keeping WFH, which he couldn't find.

Queue my coworkers who were all researchers and editors pushing back on that with "Our products have won industry awards year after year and we constantly exceed our sales targets. Clearly working from home isn't a problem for our products or the companies bottom line. What data are you using to justify ending WFH?"

"Years of experience and my gut."

Everyone else: :jerkbag:

God that place went downhill fast. Was nice getting some of that "please don't go!" money though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I do miss the cross pollination that would happen in an office where you'd run into people and talk about what you're working on. But having a few random people come in once a week doesn't do that because you go in and nobody's there or they're on a zoom call.

That idea of a long zoom call where you watch someone's screen and just chat sounds cool. I wish I was on a team with people that actually did the same stuff I did. And that I actually liked any of them enough to want to sort of hang out with them for that long.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

jaegerx posted:

Oh my goon project, it's been unbearably hot in Texas and well all of the world right now and my doggy door leads to a concrete patio that can get up to 140f or 50c. I don't want my dog kids to hurt their paws on that, so I got an IoT sprinkler and a raspberry pi with Bluetooth, and a camera, initially, I was just triggering it when the camera saw something walk into the kitchen cause that the doggie door but that wasn't efficient when it was me doing it, so I tried using ml picture analysis but that poo poo won't loving work on a raspberry pi so I discovered I could buy small Bluetooth chips and imbed in my dog's collar and now when they get within 5ft of the kitchen it will trigger the sprinkler system on the patio and save my doggies paws.

drat, thats clever

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I do miss the cross pollination that would happen in an office where you'd run into people and talk about what you're working on. But having a few random people come in once a week doesn't do that because you go in and nobody's there or they're on a zoom call.

That idea of a long zoom call where you watch someone's screen and just chat sounds cool. I wish I was on a team with people that actually did the same stuff I did. And that I actually liked any of them enough to want to sort of hang out with them for that long.

I live in San Antonio as I've said many times, and I still have a lot of friends from Rackspace here that moved and live near and also skipdoogg, we do lunchs and poo poo and I'll work with them occasionally at a dinning room table.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

jaegerx posted:

You're a good doggie daddy. Except for the not posting a picture part.

One of the durable squads I'm on does virtual happy hours every few months. They're awesome, try it!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I think the thing that pisses me off the most is we know leadership is full of poo poo and isn’t being honest about the motivation behind RTO.

If they would come out and just say “look we’re getting millions a year in tax breaks for having a certain number of employees at the office , and we own a few Billion in commercial real estate that has to keep its value” we need employees back in the office. People wouldn’t like it but they could at least understand. Instead they keep bullshitting us about culture and meaningful connections and crap.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

drat, thats clever

I am still tweaking it cause I think my doggies learned that it only lasts 15 seconds and they've been triggering it more often. A beagle and a Lab are working together to game my system.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Execs and Mgt also want RTO so there are lots of young people around to creep on. :pervert:

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

LionYeti posted:

Honestly, I am one of the crazy IT people who likes being in an office. The commute is nice podcast time luckily my traffic is minimal with where I live and work. There's no real space in my place for an office so I basically had to Frankenstein my Gaming PC desk, it was a pain in the dick. Frankly my ADD is really rough when at home too many things I could be doing ya know. Also this RTO job is paying me 83k for Deskside Techwork/ C Level Babysitting.

Executive babysitting can be too lucrative to put up too much of a fight, get into a bigger corp / finance world and stack paper till you can’t tolerate the rich fucks anymore then dip, but if they wanna pay 125+bonus it’s hard to turn down.

Want to find a full time wfh but now I gotta learn actual skills/cloud poo poo to find something in the same ish pay grade

Or I just bail and work for the state and really make the medium bucks but have a legit pension and never have a work phone again…

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

mllaneza posted:

You're a good doggie daddy. Except for the not posting a picture part.

Too much effort now without imgur integration into awfulapp.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When are you going on Shark Tank

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

George H.W. oval office posted:

When are you going on Shark Tank

I'm not cool enough for that, I'll just open-source what I did and the poo poo I bought to make it work. I will not support it at all unless it's something I need.

I realize that my GitHub is under my name and I apologize I will not be publicizing it here.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 3, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hello canada I am in you

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

hello canada I am in you

are you in good canada or bad canada

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

yt for a couple days then bc for a couple days before I get poo poo out of whatever sphincter passes for the closest border crossing to vancouver

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Fool posted:

yt for a couple days then bc for a couple days before I get poo poo out of whatever sphincter passes for the closest border crossing to vancouver

go to Pacific Crossing, not Peace Arch, for southbound, it'll be labelled "truck crossing"/176th on highway signs.

we have a lot of wildfires in BC right now so be careful!!

godspeed

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

CLAM DOWN posted:

I’ve only ever been to Winnipeg once as a child. Where is good Canada? :ohdear: As a Minnesotan I’ve often dreamed of being an honorary Canadian. I mean, I like hockey and my team can’t win a Stanley Cup to save their lives so I already check off some pretty important boxes there.

kung fu jive fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 3, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For our honeymoon my wife and I went to Vancouver (in December, no less) and now we do every 5 years. So 5 year anniversary was Montreal in December, and last year for our 10 year anniversary we drove to Winnipeg (we're also in Minnesota) in August. Hopefully for our 15 year we'll do Toronto, but they're always more of the prairie to explore.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

FISHMANPET posted:

For our honeymoon my wife and I went to Vancouver (in December, no less) and now we do every 5 years. So 5 year anniversary was Montreal in December, and last year for our 10 year anniversary we drove to Winnipeg (we're also in Minnesota) in August. Hopefully for our 15 year we'll do Toronto, but they're always more of the prairie to explore.

That sounds lovely. I need to explore more of North America’s hat.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

kung fu jive posted:

I’ve only ever been to Winnipeg once as a child. Where is good Canada?

Quebec and Newfoundland.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Quebec and Newfoundland.

Odd way to spell Nova Scotia and British Columbia but okay.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

This is really cool, and this summer has been stupid hot. Possibly the worst one since I moved here in '06, and the 10 day is calling for all 100+ degree days again. I feel like I'm back in Phoenix.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

skipdogg posted:

This is really cool, and this summer has been stupid hot. Possibly the worst one since I moved here in '06, and the 10 day is calling for all 100+ degree days again. I feel like I'm back in Phoenix.

Yea poo poo sucks out here. Today is the tie.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does anyone here use the SA IT Goons slack?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Canada is pretty great, and I highly encourage people to build a time machine to go back in time so they can have one parent be a Canadian citizen and inherit the dual citizenship. Having the option to just up and leave to another country is looking pretty good these days

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

God I hate bitlocker and this org even more so for not having some way of getting recovery keys without remembering to pull them each time you work on a PC or depending on the user (lol). Hospital being ran like it's a SOHO.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hotel Kpro posted:

Canada is pretty great, and I highly encourage people to build a time machine to go back in time so they can have one parent be a Canadian citizen and inherit the dual citizenship. Having the option to just up and leave to another country is looking pretty good these days

Too cold. If I have a Time Machine for genetic shenanigans I’m going for eu citizenship and chilling in Greece/Italy/Spain

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Too cold. If I have a Time Machine for genetic shenanigans I’m going for eu citizenship and chilling in Greece/Italy/Spain

But all those places you listed are now too hot.

Fire smoke notwithstanding, the 49th parallel is the perfect spot now.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

i'm in it but not very active

iron rose is the admin iirc

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Newf is p awesome

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BadOptics posted:

God I hate bitlocker and this org even more so for not having some way of getting recovery keys without remembering to pull them each time you work on a PC or depending on the user (lol). Hospital being ran like it's a SOHO.

Portugal is very easy to get a remote-work visa for if you are rich enough to have at least minimum wage in passive earnings

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

this, everything else is bad canada

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I uninstalled Slack due to communication tool overload. If you guys made a discord I'd be likely to be on that instead!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a YOSPOS discord

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

i'm in it but not very active

iron rose is the admin iirc

I haven’t logged in in several months so would be happy to give admin permissions to anyone else who wants to be involved.

Or we could just let it die and enjoy chatting on forums like the old fucks we all increasingly are.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
what's slack? is that like Wobbly for old people?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

tokin opposition posted:

A worse, more expensive version of Microsoft Teams.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

You did that on purpose so we'd all have to google it didn't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's the Mumble of Business Collaboration