Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As someone not into fighting games and only hearing lots of praise for Modern Controls in SF6, I can't help but feel like it's a love letter to the series when it's pulling in the 'smash the car' mini game from Final Fight too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQ3lqZORxE&t=273s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I only heard about the control style additions the other day, and it took the game from being completely off my list to one I'm gonna grab when it's a bit more on sale. It sounds like it has a good chance to get me into it, when I've mostly failed at getting into fighting games over the years.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Heh, Destiny Connect does not give a single gently caress. "Sure child version of my father who if he is removed from the 1970s may endanger my entire existence, you can come and join our jaunt through time where our machine keeps breaking in the worst possible places! What could possibly go wrong!"
Also there's some pretty boss lines like when Isaac the time machine robot finally unlocks the ability to change forms in battle, the boss is like "Pfft, you've only changed your outfit, nothing's really different." and Isaac's just like "Test that Hypothesis."

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

credburn posted:

Honestly English would be a lot more efficient and a lot cooler if cks/ks was always just replaced with an x.

"Why couldn't you reorganise the clothing warehouse?"

"One in three of the rax of slax lax trax."

:hai:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It would be worth a hell of a lot less in Scrabble though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Remnant II: One of the starting class choices has a dog. You can stand in front of it and there will be a prompt to pet it.

Counterpoint I will never be playing any other class because they do not have dogs to pet.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yet you take the dog with you on the battlefield so clearly you are not a very responsible dog owner. You also abandon it when you take an elevator and in the few seconds it takes to teleport to your position again, a heart is broken.

Basically, how do you live with yourself?!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Yet you take the dog with you on the battlefield so clearly you are not a very responsible dog owner.

The dog's taking me with him on the battlefield. I am not the person in charge in this relationship.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Let me play as the dog, cowards

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Morpheus posted:

Let me play as the dog, cowards

I thought this was the other thread and was like, hang on is there an AssCreed where you have a dog

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Yet you take the dog with you on the battlefield so clearly you are not a very responsible dog owner.

There is nothing a dog likes more than a road trip through an active war zone, you would be a monster not to take them with you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

I only heard about the control style additions the other day, and it took the game from being completely off my list to one I'm gonna grab when it's a bit more on sale. It sounds like it has a good chance to get me into it, when I've mostly failed at getting into fighting games over the years.

it's so good. i was getting a little burnt out on the world tour mode, and then enemies started dropping stripey thigh high socks and now I need to set aside like a half hour to redo my whole outfit, lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rockman Reserve posted:

it's so good. i was getting a little burnt out on the world tour mode, and then enemies started dropping stripey thigh high socks and now I need to set aside like a half hour to redo my whole outfit, lol

As programming socks, there are fighting socks :hmmyes:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I just fused a shield to another shield in Tears of the Kingdom.

I have no idea if it’s good, I’m just happy I did it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Far Cry 6: I really like that the player character sings along with the car music player. Also that they don't make you pat down the bodies for loot and just do autopickup.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pikmin 4 made it so if you whistle and it hits nearby Pikmin who're already doing a task, they will now only briefly pause instead of drop what they're doing and come running (A second whistle blast will make them come running). It's so useful for rounding up strays in a crowded area.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
In Total War: Warhammer 2 one of the diplomatic crises you can run into is that Balthasar Gelt, who is basically fantasy Doctor Doom with the metal face mask, the ego, and tendency to bellow about his superior intellect and all, is upset you missed his literal Sausage Festival.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Snackula posted:

In Total War: Warhammer 2 one of the diplomatic crises you can run into is that Balthasar Gelt, who is basically fantasy Doctor Doom with the metal face mask, the ego, and tendency to bellow about his superior intellect and all, is upset you missed his literal Sausage Festival.

You're not Reed Richards, Doctor Doom bears no grudge against you and wants you to sample his many cured meats!

Gelt isn't like Doctor Doom, as far as I know he doesn't have Geltbots running around. As far as I know.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

moosecow333 posted:

I just fused a shield to another shield in Tears of the Kingdom.

I have no idea if it’s good, I’m just happy I did it.

I think it boosts durability, and hell it's useful for taking both shields with you until you can get to Tarrey Town to unfuse them if you're full on shields

Try fusing a shield to a claymore :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bawk posted:

THIS SIDE TOWARDS ENEMY

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

THIS SIDE TOWARDS ENEMY

no no no that's claymore to shield

or bombflower to shield

or time bomb to shield

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that Destiny Connect shows a serious downside to using time travel to save someone - first of all he can never let his guard down because what if something else kills her later, but also because he spent 15 years of his life working on a time machine, in the timeline in which he did save her the memories didn't snap into place when he returned to it (and he replaced the version of himself that lived through it), so he's existing in a timeline in which they've had an entire life together and he's completely missed it. That's a cool take on things.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

bawk posted:

I think it boosts durability, and hell it's useful for taking both shields with you until you can get to Tarrey Town to unfuse them if you're full on shields

Wish Tears of the Kingdom let you booby trap a whole temple and re-enact the finale of Nobody.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The "luxury" DLC for House Flipper lets you own/mess around with a yacht, which is a cool change of scenery. :kiddo:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Driver San Fransisco: You can play the first mission of Driver 1 as a secret challenge.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Grime you play as a hosed up rock monster with a black hole for a head, and your first main verb is "absorb" which acts as a parry. If an enemy attacks you, and their health bar is in the red (instead of the greyish-red) you can use the parry to

• kill them, or take off a big chunk of health
  • earn Breath, which acts like this game's health restoration
  • Negate all damage, including other enemies

You don't get a weapon to start, and enemies will "attack" by gently nudging you, so you can learn the timing. Enemies will also have red, unabsorbable attacks that you have to dodge, which uses the same stamina you use to attack. It highly incentivises you to learn and use the parry ability and avoid spamming attacks, because holy poo poo does it work better than attacking. I went from dying repeatedly to a boss, to getting no-hit by the boss, because anything not-red can be parried. Anything. Projectiles, glancing attacks, regular attack swings, as long as it isn't a red attack, it can be parried. And these parries deal really good damage to bosses, too. My normal swings can do about 30-40 damage while parrying a projectile attack will automatically gather any nearby projectiles from the same attack and toss it back at the boss to do ~180 damage. :eyepop:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've finally got moving in Shadow Hearts: From the New World (as before the intro wouldn't load properly) and I like the Stellar system for magic, it reminds me of the Garment Grid in FFX-2.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

I've finally got moving in Shadow Hearts: From the New World (as before the intro wouldn't load properly) and I like the Stellar system for magic, it reminds me of the Garment Grid in FFX-2.

Have you tried Shadow Hearts: Covenant? I found it be far superior to New World.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

Have you tried Shadow Hearts: Covenant? I found it be far superior to New World.

I only have 1 and New World because I can't find Covenant, I'll probably get it online someday.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bawk posted:

In Grime you play as a hosed up rock monster with a black hole for a head, and your first main verb is "absorb" which acts as a parry. If an enemy attacks you, and their health bar is in the red (instead of the greyish-red) you can use the parry to

• kill them, or take off a big chunk of health
  • earn Breath, which acts like this game's health restoration
  • Negate all damage, including other enemies

You don't get a weapon to start, and enemies will "attack" by gently nudging you, so you can learn the timing. Enemies will also have red, unabsorbable attacks that you have to dodge, which uses the same stamina you use to attack. It highly incentivises you to learn and use the parry ability and avoid spamming attacks, because holy poo poo does it work better than attacking. I went from dying repeatedly to a boss, to getting no-hit by the boss, because anything not-red can be parried. Anything. Projectiles, glancing attacks, regular attack swings, as long as it isn't a red attack, it can be parried. And these parries deal really good damage to bosses, too. My normal swings can do about 30-40 damage while parrying a projectile attack will automatically gather any nearby projectiles from the same attack and toss it back at the boss to do ~180 damage. :eyepop:

I don't remember where I saw it, but I recently tried the Grime demo and it's really good. It gives you the entire first level, I think. IIRC it was free on Epic last month, maybe June.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Mamkute posted:

Driver San Fransisco: You can play the first mission of Driver 1 as a secret challenge.

By "first mission" do you mean... escaping the parking garage?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

That was my first thought, but then I noticed I wasn't in the complaint thread :v:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That was my first thought, but then I noticed I wasn't in the complaint thread :v:

We rented Driver 1 once and I'm pretty sure we spent most of that period trying to get out of the garage

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

We rented Driver 1 once and I'm pretty sure we spent most of that period trying to get out of the garage

It was kinda funny when I finally got the game after spending a million hours in the demo, which was a timed thing that just let you freely drive around as much as possible without a tutorial in sight. Then when I started the actual game it was like, well what the gently caress is this bullshit :shepicide:

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

credburn posted:

that is indeed the secret bonus challenge in driver sf

iirc it's one of maybe two that i never beat?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

It was kinda funny when I finally got the game after spending a million hours in the demo, which was a timed thing that just let you freely drive around as much as possible without a tutorial in sight. Then when I started the actual game it was like, well what the gently caress is this bullshit :shepicide:

:same:

I was so disappointed in the actual game lol

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
An important detail, in order to unlock the secret mission in Driver: San Fran you need to unlock the DeLorean and get it up to 88 miles an hour.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love the parts in the story in San Fran where towards the back half the characters in the car with the drivers that you possess realise what's going on and start talking to tanner instead of their brother/friend. It's such a cool touch

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just getting started with Baldur's Gate 3, and already found a really nice quality of life feature: If you're about to roll a check and have a spell that would help you with it (e.g. you're trying to persuade somebody in a conversation and know the Charm Person spell), the game offers you a button to immediately activate it right there before rolling. That way those spells get much more use, since you don't have to manually put them on yourself all the time just in case they might come in handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the unique ways characters power up in Shadow Hearts: From the New world, from Frank the Ninja just sticking a hilt into anything he likes the look of to turn it into a sword, to the native american dude capturing cryptids and stealing power from them. It's kind of fun.