Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

david_a posted:

So sorry :(

She looks very happy and comfortable in the pictures at least. That enormous open mouth smile greyhounds do is quite special, isn’t it :3:

Yes!

Can’t leave out Jody:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Sorry for this wall of text. These are the things I love about Barley and some anecdotes. Writing this was cathartic so I thought I’d share.

Barley
I love how crazy and demanding she is, especially by greyhound standards. As she got older we always say she is “10 going on 2” because she acts so young. She is 11 now.

I work from home and she pushes her nose up under my arm while I’m at my desk. Sometimes causing me to mis-click. She will stay there panting on my arm/torso until I get up and give her a treat. She has me well trained.

She was roaching within the first 30 minutes of being in our house. She has never seemed uncomfortable and she did not have that months-long warm up period most greyhounds get where the personality takes a while to come out. She has been “crazy Barley” from day one with us.

She hates getting wet and refuses to go into the bathrooms in our house. One attempted bath time ended up with her hiding in the closet. It is NOT a walk in closet! The only exception to this is when she hears fireworks, she will hide in one of the bathrooms (dog logic I guess).

I had to carry her across small creeks when hiking because water is terrifying.

Whenever one of us comes home, she runs out the dog door and stands at the gate. She will bark and howl until she sees us come out of the garage.

She is extremely food motivated and she demands her meals on time, sometimes early. Sometimes way too early, like before 5 am.

When we go from the bedroom to the kitchen to give her breakfast, she will be right on top of you all the way down the hallway. She turns around 5-6 times to make sure you’re still going toward the kitchen to feed her. She actually impedes your path while doing this, but she is so excited for breakfast, she can’t help it. When you get to the kitchen she will try to jump on you.

If you are a guest in our house and you’re eating something, she will be about 6 inches from your face. She knows who at home will or won’t give her scraps, but anyone new is worth a try in her book. We try to teach her manners but it doesn’t work.

My retired father-in-law often visits for a few weeks at a time. He makes coffee and toast every morning, and Barley and Jody each get their own toast. She knows when he is here and listens for him stirring in the guest room in the morning. If she suspects he is awake she will stand outside his door and whine/bark.

Around the corner from our house, at the bottom of the hill, the sidewalk has a few places where drainage is expected so there are small grooves in it for about 20 feet or so. She inexplicably hates walking on that part and will pull to the side incredibly hard. She would pull so hard we had to get her a chest harness instead of a regular collar because she was choking herself.

One time she came into my office while I was working and proudly showed me a bird carcass. I tried to get it from her and she ran into the kitchen and swallowed it whole.

After she retired she has never shown any interest in running. Even at the dog park or greyhound events with wide open spaces. She would rather saunter along while sniffing and urinating on things. I’ve seen her occasionally hustle to get something, but never sprint.

At the age of 10 she decided to start eating poop! We had to give them both special supplements and canned pineapple with their meals so she would stop. If we ran out of either, within a day or two she would gobble up more turds.

I don’t think she ever spontaneously rooed. But she would roo on demand if you made the sound or played a video. This gets her pretty worked up and she is incredibly loud.

She always wants to be with her people, and she especially loves cuddling on the sofa. Sometimes if I’m working late she will bother me continuously until I relocate to the sofa, where she will lay with her head by me and snooze. If we are cleaning the house or something that requires us to be moving from room to room, she will get visibly annoyed while following us around. If we are in the pool, she will come outside to be with us but obviously won’t get in the water. She will be distressed by the heat and you can tell she wants us to be inside, on the couch, in the AC with her.

When you give her neck scratches, she will turn her head a bit and visibly smile, and let out a happy groan. Likewise, if she’s laying down and you rub her belly, or she stretches her legs, she will also happy groan.

She has always been a happy dog. She’s outgoing and not at all skiddish. She will approach strangers for pets or treats.

She will randomly lay on our pool lounge chairs and sun herself.

Some of her favorite treats include pistachios, bones, jerky treats, Nubs, and toast. Among many other things.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm so sorry :(

I'm going to go hug Ella some.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm very sorry to hear that :smith:

thanks for writing all that out!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That was a lovely write up! Some things are similar to Katie but they’re all unique dogs, aren’t they?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m so sorry to hear that. It’s so nice to read all the funny behaviours these dogs have too.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Piper is not really a photo kind of dog so I have to bribe her with food to get her to even stay on camera.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
At our emergency vet visit the other night they told us Barley’s pericardium has scar tissue from the first drain and it was more difficult to get the needle in this time.

Yesterday she was scheduled for her first chemo appointment. They told us they would have to hold her still for about 30 minutes, then keep her under observation for a few hours.

After some lengthy discussion and debate, even writing out the pros and cons, we decided to take her to PetSmart instead of chemo. We let her pick out any treats she wanted. She got about $100 worth of treats! She then got a puppachino from Starbucks. Then she got to stop by our little-old-lady neighbor’s house for some love and affection because she always stops us to pet them on our walks. She had a lot of kind and supportive words for us.

Shortly after we got home, a good friend of ours stopped by and surprised us with Shake Shack. Barley received her own burger, of course!

At this point we are thinking quality over quantity for her time left. The chemo is palliative, no chance to cure. We framed it from her point of view. If she could understand, and was given the choice of going to the vet for chemo or going to PetSmart and Starbucks, we are pretty sure she’d choose the latter.

:gbsmith:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you’re good people, beekeeper

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

you're doing great beekeeper. stay strong.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Ah man. This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry, Beekeeper. I'm sure your sweet girl knows she is treasured.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah this is really heartbreaking to read. You’re good people!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I’m really sorry to hear about your pup, I’m glad they’re getting great treatment.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

:3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bailey's two year anniversary was yesterday!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Oh boy cookie time!!! :toot:

lol does she always have that lickey mat?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

Oh boy cookie time!!! :toot:

lol does she always have that lickey mat?

yes she carries it everywhere

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Bailey's two year anniversary was yesterday!

Dog is blurring from joy.

Also dog taxing

Still not sure how a 55 lb greyhound shoves her lanky frame into a small catbed and fits, but she does.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 2, 2023

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson's birthday was the other day

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

happy birthday watson!!!!!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Semi Cursed burger eatin.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

This smile is indeed a perfect one! :3: I'm so sorry about what you're going through, though. I'm glad you've got the chance to spoil her rotten though - I'm sure she's been loving the attention, at least! :unsmith:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

hello Teedo TODD

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha, I missed this earlier! What a great sitting technique! :D

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Happy Burger Day Watson! :toot:

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Barley
Racing name: JoJo Dancer JH
Left ear: 58052. Right ear: 32B
March 15, 2012 - August 3, 2023

:smith:

More Barley tidbits:

She would push your hands around with her nose when you got into the treat drawer. I think she thought it would speed up the treat dispensing process.

She frequently ‘upskirted’ people including Mrs. Beekeeper. If someone wearing a skirt or dress was visiting we’d have to warn them because Barley would put her nose under and lift up, revealing everything underneath! We thought this was a coincidence or just clumsiness the first couple of times but later we realized she would do this on purpose.

She had sleep startle and would growl or snap at even slight movements. This was usually only at night in our bed. During daytime naps on the couch it wouldn’t bother her. However this changed depending on her hunger level. If it was before breakfast, anytime you stirred would cause her to jump up and demand her breakfast. After breakfast, any disturbance would be met with a growl. We always said to leave her alone while she is digesting.

Goodbye my sweet, sweet beautiful girl. You brought so much joy and love to our lives. Rest in peace.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Goodbye my sweet, sweet beautiful girl. You brought so much joy and love to our lives. Rest in peace.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Deepest condolences to you and your family. She sounds like she was a fantastic companion.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
:(

:rip: Barley

Sounds like she had everything a greyhound could ask for in life

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

:smith:

Barley

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Barley raced for a while in Florida. Later she became a “Hemopet” (blood donor). She was adopted through AAGI (Arizona Adopt a Greyhound Inc) in 2018. About 2 months after her adoption the owners listed her for sale on Craigslist for a measly $200. For those who don’t know, Craigslist is a terrible place for pets as the purchasers could be dog fighters buying bait dogs, puppy mill operators, etc.

My wife and her friend picked her up through the Craigslist deal with the intention of returning her to AAGI, something we’ve done with other dogs in the past. On their ride back home, my wife’s friend texted me and said “you’re hosed :D”. When my wife walked in the door, Barley immediately jumped on her and licked her face.

AAGI took several days to get back to us. Sometimes we joke that they intentionally took a while so she could settle in at our house. They were livid when they found out she had been listed on Craigslist. When AAGI adopts out a dog, they make you sign a contract stating you will surrender the dog to them if it doesn’t work out for any reason. They were at capacity within their network so we agreed to foster her for a while.

My wife was finishing med school at the time and we had been considering getting a second dog. I had originally wanted to get her another greyhound as a graduation present. It didn’t make sense for me to get rid of Barley and get another hound, especially as she settled in extremely quickly at our house. So for my wife’s graduation gift she got a framed photo of Barley and and envelope with $200, to cover the sale amount. She knew right away this meant I agreed to keep her.

Drunk Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 4, 2023

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that is such a great story! I'm so sorry for your loss.

edit: how did your wife end up finding her on craigslist?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 4, 2023

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I'm so sorry for your loss. Such a good girl-- thank you for sharing her with us :unsmith:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
So sorry for your loss.

RIP sweet Barley :smithfrog:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Synchronised snoozing.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

Synchronised snoozing.

Body on dog bed, head on floor is somehow the most comfortable position for all sighthounds

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AtomikKrab posted:

Body on dog bed, head on floor is somehow the most comfortable position for all sighthounds

Checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Get on Teedo's level