Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

What's up my fellow "lost by a dollar on a perennial MVP candidate" friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Last year Jokic and Giannis went for over 700

Yeah, but prices are way down this year in general. People just didn’t rocket out of the gate spending like they did last year

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 3, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Deadbeat Dad posted:

kingcobweb has signed Cam Johnson for $102.

(The next highest bid was $101.)

Oh hell yeah

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
also giannis went day 1 last year, and jokic day 3

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jokic was an MVP last year. You don't pay MVP prices for 2nd place.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

What's happening makes a lot of sense. People seem to be on the same page in terms of big time players but still lots of discrepancy for 4th/5th starters/rotation guys. It checks out in terms of how many dudes you can talk yourself into filling these roles.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I've actually just been bidding pretty badly

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

People in general are just playing a lot smarter this time around. We’ve had some real bad bids but people were throwing a hundred bucks at dudes barely in the nba last time around. It was wild

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

People in general are just playing a lot smarter this time around. We’ve had some real bad bids but people were throwing a hundred bucks at dudes barely in the nba last time around. It was wild

Are you still keeping track of our total spend?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Are you still keeping track of our total spend?

Yeah, right now we're at 48.3% of the cap vs 46.2% of the roster slots, so we are overspending slightly but not to degree that there is some huge correction coming later in the game. We should see the average bid go down slighty as we approach day 18 but at this point it won't be a major amount.

That said, day 4 was a ludicrous outlier and it is effecting the data here. So I actually think we are probably in a slightly more unfavorable cap enviroment than it appears.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

code:
JaVale McGee
Jonathan Kuminga
Adama Sanogo
Shaq Harrison
Gordon Hayward
James Bouknight
Rodney McGruder
Anfernee Simons
Bam Adebayo
Shake Milton
Yuta Watanabe
EJ Liddell
Toney Bradley
Chet Holmgren
Kyle Anderson
Seth Lundy
Wendell Moore Jr.
Ryan Arcidiacono
Javon Freeman-Liberty
Kessler Edwards
Rui Hachimura
Trevelin Queen
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Rudy Gay
Furkan Korkmaz
Jalen Slawson
Dillon Brooks
Scottie Barnes
Kevon Looney
Kristaps Porzingis

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just got back from softball, got my guy :cool:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Deadbeat Dad posted:

BWV has signed Jayson Tatum for $372.

(The next highest bid was $369.)

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Salvor_Hardin has signed Nikola Jokic for $570.

The next highest bid was $569 (Punkin Spunkin).
I deserve my ruin tbf
Lmao that I pulled this poo poo twice
At least I was closer this time

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I deserve my ruin tbf
Lmao that I pulled this poo poo twice

Twice as nice

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BWV posted:

What's happening makes a lot of sense. People seem to be on the same page in terms of big time players but still lots of discrepancy for 4th/5th starters/rotation guys. It checks out in terms of how many dudes you can talk yourself into filling these roles.
I think a lot of it is down to how you can get spread pretty thin and have to just pick a couple of guys to target at this point. So someone might bid a totally reasonable $50 but no one else commits to taking a real run at that guy and then the second place bid is like $10.

There are still some teams with a lot of money who could shotgun a bunch of respectable bids but clearly those GMs are intentionally waiting for a later moment to wade into things

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The Jokic -> Bol Bol connection is going to be fire yall

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

I think a lot of it is down to how you can get spread pretty thin and have to just pick a couple of guys to target at this point. So someone might bid a totally reasonable $50 but no one else commits to taking a real run at that guy and then the second place bid is like $10.

There are still some teams with a lot of money who could shotgun a bunch of respectable bids but clearly those GMs are intentionally waiting for a later moment to wade into things

I'm not really waiting to wade in I'm just throwing out a bunch of bids that I expect to lose on because occasionally one of them hits for whatever reason. I expected to lose on every single rotation player I've won by like at least $20.

This could end up being trouble down the road when I'm trying to fill out the last few spots on my roster but we're not quite halfway through yet so I'm just going to not worry about that unless it's still the case on like Monday or something.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not really waiting to wade in I'm just throwing out a bunch of bids that I expect to lose on because occasionally one of them hits for whatever reason. I expected to lose on every single rotation player I've won by like at least $20.

This could end up being trouble down the road when I'm trying to fill out the last few spots on my roster but we're not quite halfway through yet so I'm just going to not worry about that unless it's still the case on like Monday or something.

Yeah I’ve been bidding and very close on several guys, including some of the big money players. I just haven’t hit on one yet.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I think I’ve been the number two bid on at least 3 top level guys at this point.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Idk if any of you play TFT/Auto Chess but playing this game really makes me wish that the NBA had an auto battler. There’s a lot of fun potential in that.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah I mostly haven't been overbidding I think, but I've won a lot of guys so now it's a bit different, like with my remaining cash on hand I have to look at like Aaron Gordon and Cameron Johnson and just choose one to bid on because I don't have the money to bid on both. (I chose Cameron Johnson btw because I thought Aaron Gordon would cost too much... hm. lost because I also pulled out some cash to float a bid on Sochan)

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

You also have to consider how you are playing. Like Aaron Gordon is rated really highly in the sim, but I think most fans probably wouldn’t rate him as one of the 25 best players in the league or whatever.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Idk if any of you play TFT/Auto Chess but playing this game really makes me wish that the NBA had an auto battler. There’s a lot of fun potential in that.

I play a shitload of tft!! Got masters in a couple previous sets when I had a lot of time to devote to ~studying~ the game.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

You also have to consider how you are playing. Like Aaron Gordon is rated really highly in the sim, but I think most fans probably wouldn’t rate him as one of the 25 best players in the league or whatever.

Maybe not top 25 but he's not that far off, y'all are underrating him. He legitimately guards 1-5 for the Nuggets, and their strategy of saving playing him at the 5 when Jokic was on the bench turned their biggest regular-season weakness into something of a strength. His finishing around the rim is great, and that's a legitimate skill; if it was as simple as "get the ball from Jokic" then the Nuggets would have been able to find someone else to do what he does.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

kingcobweb posted:

I play a shitload of tft!! Got masters in a couple previous sets when I had a lot of time to devote to ~studying~ the game.

I always think about what the traits would be for an NBA themed set.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kingcobweb posted:

Maybe not top 25 but he's not that far off, y'all are underrating him. He legitimately guards 1-5 for the Nuggets, and their strategy of saving playing him at the 5 when Jokic was on the bench turned their biggest regular-season weakness into something of a strength. His finishing around the rim is great, and that's a legitimate skill; if it was as simple as "get the ball from Jokic" then the Nuggets would have been able to find someone else to do what he does.

IMO it's less that "anyone could do it" and more that "he couldn't do it with anyone" if that makes sense?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

kingcobweb posted:

I’m not trying to hate on him. He’s clearly a perfect fit for Denver. I just agree with whoever said it above that if you remove him from that condition he’s not nearly as good. We’ll have to see Paul’s final team to make that judgement, but I think the number in Griggs sheet is generally high for him. It might differ in DBDs sim though, since I know those numbers are variable.

There are a lot of guys rated too high in the sim though imo.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I always think about what the traits would be for an NBA themed set.

Hmm, good question. The instant instinct is to make skills like "ball handler" into a trait, but that doesn't work because five PGs or five rim-protecting bigs definitely don't have synergy with one another.

You could either do "origins" as either the team they play for or something related to how they got to the NBA, like Euros, one and done, G League, second round picks. Then for the other trait you could have what their style is, like a "fundamentals" trait with John Stockton (4-cost) and Tim Duncan (5-cost) or "streetball" with Jason Williams and idk who else I just want Jason Williams to be in the game

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I’m not trying to hate on him. He’s clearly a perfect fit for Denver. I just agree with whoever said it above that if you remove him from that condition he’s not nearly as good. We’ll have to see Paul’s final team to make that judgement, but I think the number in Griggs sheet is generally high for him. It might differ in DBDs sim though, since I know those numbers are variable.

There are a lot of guys rated too high in the sim though imo.

Keep in mind the sim stats are just one simulation of it, and don't necessarily correspond 1:1 with the sim DBD is going to run. There's some randomness to represent how players can change from year-to-year, especially young ones. Like in one sim I made, the top 5 players by rating are Jokic (with a 73), Shai, Giannis, Luka, Embiid, and in another it's Giannis, Luka, KD, LeBron, Tatum.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

For sure. I’m just jealous that Paul beat me for Gordon and Lebron in the same night.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

For sure. I’m just jealous that Paul beat me for Gordon and Lebron in the same night.

*in an extremely Lebron James kid voice* Lebron James

I think the idea that Aaron Gordon is not a good player in an environment where he he doesn’t have Jokic is pretty misguided. Dude was pretty good in Orlando on dogshit teams where he was asked to do absolutely more than he was capable of doing.

Guys probably going to end up being the 3rd or 4th most important starter on my team and that’s exactly the role he just thrived in on a nba championship team

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 3, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dude was pretty good in Orlando on dogshit teams where he was asked to do absolutely more than he was capable of doing.

He was not

e: well, him being asked to do more than he was capable of doing is true but that was because of his own skill issues not the team's

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 3, 2023

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This seems like revisionist history. Guy was in his early 20s playing out of position a lot of time taking way more offensive burdeon than he should have been. He was not some dogshit player.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

This seems like revisionist history. Guy was in his early 20s playing out of position a lot of time taking way more offensive burdeon than he should have been. He was not some dogshit player.

Nobody called him dogshit lol. The only revisioning is saying he was pretty good for dogshit teams (hint: he wasn't and the teams weren't).

Like has been said, 4th best player on a team with someone that can create for him is pretty much how you're gonna get the ideal Aaron Gordon and, well, you're getting there.

vv yeah basically vv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 3, 2023

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

IcePhoenix posted:

He was not

e: well, him being asked to do more than he was capable of doing is true but that was because of his own skill issues not the team's

Well, it was both. He should never be asked to dribble or create offense for example but he only was because the Magic drafted an unbroken streak of busts or at best mediocre bench guys at wing and guard positions for a full decade. In short stints he was very good and I at least was very optimistic that he had found his ideal spot when was traded to the Nuggets. I could see Lebron putting him in a place to succeed but that pairing is going to require some very specific parts around it. He and Vucevic were an extremely mediocre defensive pairing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Nobody called him dogshit lol. The only revisioning is saying he was pretty good for dogshit teams (hint: he wasn't and the teams weren't).

Those Orlando teams weren't dogshit??

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They weren't good but they made the playoffs in two of his three best seasons (neither of which he was the best player on the team)!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

It does. It's called "fanduels.com" I don't recommend it. It's pay-to-play.

Anyhow, I had a few "overbids", based off either reputation or players playing for the Pistons. Bagley is a decent rotation center, and I think anything 50 and under for that is within reason. He just looks really bad as a #2 pick. Diallo shoots almost 60% from the floor as a slashing wing/guard. These are dudes who can definitely contribute.

Thomas Bryant is the one that bugs me, though. I dunno if I was drunk or high or made a typo or what. Winning that bid made me check my outgoing messages to make sure I actually did.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
griggs was my father, please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Sorrry myr keyborard irs brokenr