Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
eh, you can break those in a variety of ways in vanilla. this doesn't break anything that a flight mod wouldn't, and there's no shortage of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think adding any sort of mechanics or overhauls already throws open the doors to break the game in one way or the other anyways. It's just what modding is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I don't think there's any one mod that can break Skyrim more than Skyrim breaks itself.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I don't think there's any one mod that can break Skyrim more than Skyrim breaks itself.

This, you can break Skyrim by using a Horse on the wrong incline.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

You've never ridden a horse up an 87° slope irl?

loving scrub.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So, there has been some controversy in the Fallout 4 modding scene - a mod called "Grounded Commonwealth" was released, put onto Nexus and then loving nuked into oblivion just within a few hours. But it is hosted on afkmods now, and you can see for yourself why: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/2564-grounded-commonwealth/

quote:

This mod overhauls dozens of NPCs and alters thousands of records so that the experience now aligns more with what you would expect from a caricatured America that never moved on from its 1950s Atomic Age culture. No more sassy girl boss raiders. No more diverse demographics. No more modern political posturing. Dozens of main characters have been reworked and revoiced, and the dialogue of several quests has been adjusted.

Literally makes all the cool characters into white dudes and all the slaves into women. With full voiceacting and dialogue rewrite. The chuds are putting effort nowadays.

I've heard of this mod over the years and it recall that thread favourite, Arthmoor, is somehow involved with it, to noone's surprise :v: At least it doesn't add Oblivion Gates to Boston.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
Lol wtf

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

quote:

No more sassy girl boss raiders

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

by "full voiceacting" presumably it's "using AI voice cloning to make the games original VAs say a bunch of gross poo poo" as is all the rage nowadays

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
gamers
gamers never change

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Kikas posted:

So, there has been some controversy in the Fallout 4 modding scene - a mod called "Grounded Commonwealth" was released, put onto Nexus and then loving nuked into oblivion just within a few hours. But it is hosted on afkmods now, and you can see for yourself why: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/files/file/2564-grounded-commonwealth/

Literally makes all the cool characters into white dudes and all the slaves into women. With full voiceacting and dialogue rewrite. The chuds are putting effort nowadays.

I've heard of this mod over the years and it recall that thread favourite, Arthmoor, is somehow involved with it, to noone's surprise :v: At least it doesn't add Oblivion Gates to Boston.

bravo arthmoor.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 10, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the doctor in goodneighbor gets changed into an over the top cartoon prospector

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kikas posted:

I feel like I'd rather have an Oblivion gate in Fenway Park than... this. Especially if I could actually go inside and fight Daedra to enchant my gun. That might actually be cool.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Truga posted:

gamers
gamers never change

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

bravo arthmoor.

Do they think Black folks just didn't exist back then?

I'm assuming he's an authority figure, given his dictator appearance, so maybe it's just that?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

DicktheCat posted:

I'm assuming he's an authority figure, given his dictator appearance, so maybe it's just that?

Knowing nothing about the actual mod other than what is described here, I would assume that since America culturally stagnated in the 50’s, there was no civil rights movement (at least not a successful one) and with fifties levels of racism there were probably few opportunities and many genocides for minorities, particularly during and especially after the final war. Remember, they occupied Canada and cleansed it; you think they wouldn’t commit a few light atrocities at home?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

DicktheCat posted:

This mod is for no modern politics in Fallout, and Fallout is video game, and Black man in video game is modern politics.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

They don't like non-white people and women, it ain't very deep

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Tankbuster posted:

bravo arthmoor.

The SS lightning bolt for the O really makes this image

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Preechr posted:

Knowing nothing about the actual mod other than what is described here, I would assume that since America culturally stagnated in the 50’s, there was no civil rights movement (at least not a successful one) and with fifties levels of racism there were probably few opportunities and many genocides for minorities, particularly during and especially after the final war. Remember, they occupied Canada and cleansed it; you think they wouldn’t commit a few light atrocities at home?

"You think I wanna be a Nazi? I'm just being historically accurate!"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
“The future of the fifties would have been awful, actually” is a pretty consistent theme in Fallout.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Preechr posted:

“The future of the fifties would have been awful, actually” is a pretty consistent theme in Fallout.

I'm going to guess the mod author disagrees.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This mod aims to fix the lore of Fallout by making it more like the 1950s. The way it is in the vanilla game doesn’t make any sense… Well, unless you assume there was some sort of massive (one might even go so far as to say apocalyptic) event that caused a complete upheaval of society and reset of all culture. Preposterous!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Nothing has changed in the 200 years since the Great War, just like I wish nothing had changed since the (imagined, idealized version that only exists in my head) 1950's!"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Leave It To Beaver was a net negative for humanity.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I remember Tim Cain or another one of the fallout 1/2 devs saying that presumably the pre war fallout world was incredibly racist and sexist like the real 50s on account of being a fascist mccarthyist dystopia but that that was something they purposely avoided playing into the plot because they weren’t comfortable with their ability to handle the issues with the sensitivity that it deserved so clearly the community that thought foot fetish sex reptiles was worth torpedoing a decade long labor of love will be able to do it justice

FrancisFukyomama fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 10, 2023

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

mycot posted:

The SS lightning bolt for the O really makes this image

lightning bolt on the letter O is just the same logo that has been on every fallout game

but yeah the Brotherhood of Steel have always been lawful-evil* technofascists

*sometimes accidentally morally ambiguous by way of fighting against chaotic-evil groups.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
FALLOUT HAS NEVER HAD NON WHITE BEFORE BETHESDA TOOK OVER!

*looks at Shady Sands in Fallout 1*

Orv
May 4, 2011
God I hate gamers

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah man it's not like REAL FALLOUT ever had a black person or a woman in a position of significant power before WOKE BETHESDA.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
this is just further proof that there should be no more fallout games anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dead Money secret ending is canon as Elijah wipes the slate clean and kills everyone who could appear in Fallout 5

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is deleted from the linked site or is it just not visible to guests? I tried to click and didn't see anything.

silentsnack posted:

lightning bolt on the letter O is just the same logo that has been on every fallout game

I'm cop to that going over my head.

Someone jog my memory, are there any fairly prominent (so not gambler #10) female or nonwhite NPCs in New Vegas? House is a faction of one and The Legion obviously wouldn't. Not that this kind of person has coherent ideals, they're clearly just bothered by any attention at all being given to minorities, but I'm curious on what their taste in video games is.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Legion does have non-white members, though. Caesar built his army by conquering and assimilating dozens of disparate tribes. Ulysses from Lonesome Road is a dark-skinned guy with dreadlocks, and he speaks at length about how his tribe was annexed, how he ended up being a member of the Legion, and how he rose to a relatively important and trusted position within it. So even the cartoonishly evil video game fascists are somehow slightly less racist than this idiot modder

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

this is just further proof that there should be no more fallout games anymore.

There's literally only 2 good fallout games out of the dozen or so there are now so I agree nuke the franchise. The community around it is 99.99% awful

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Proletarian Mango posted:

There's literally only 2 good fallout games out of the dozen or so there are now so I agree nuke the franchise. The community around it is 99.99% awful

Yeah Bethesda leaning into the old-timey nostalgia aesthetic while mostly half-assing the scathing social satire of the old Fallouts kind of made that inevitable.

Which is a real shame, since Fallout 1 and 2 get gloriously acidic if you go digging around in the obscure bits of in-game lore trying to piece together a sense of what happened. The pre-war America of OG Fallout was a breathtakingly tyrannical empire that forthrightly decided to blow up the entire world rather than accepting defeat (in a war that it probably started), no less!).

Liberty Prime was a tentative attempt at parody that unfortunately didn't go nearly hard enough; the GamersTM saw pre-war America summed up as a towering nuclear-armed war crime machine and said "hell yeah America #1 woo," and Bethesda just shrugged because sales are sales, no matter how stupid and superficial your customers are. In future games, the writers could put in more satire if they wanted (and they did), but the marketing focus etc. continually drifted more and more towards sincere nostalgia for the pseudo-history hinted at in the Fallout setting. Fast forward some years, and now we have chuds proudly publishing Lore Friendly Whites Only mods and apparently not seeing anything wrong with that. It's not a direct A-to-B causality, but it's close enough to squint at.

Not to be salty or anything, but what happened to the Fallout series is honestly a tragedy.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 10, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Legion does have non-white members, though. Caesar built his army by conquering and assimilating dozens of disparate tribes. Ulysses from Lonesome Road is a dark-skinned guy with dreadlocks, and he speaks at length about how his tribe was annexed, how he ended up being a member of the Legion, and how he rose to a relatively important and trusted position within it. So even the cartoonishly evil video game fascists are somehow slightly less racist than this idiot modder

TBH this is fairly accurate to how the actual Roman empire operated as well despite all the modern fascist reinterpretation of their history. "Race" is a thing people did not give a poo poo about in ancient times, what language you spoke or what religion you followed was way, way more important than what colour your skin was. People always try to argue "historical accuracy" to put some sort of objective "this is simply how things were, I'm not racist, I'm just very interested in racist periods of history, for no particular reason" spin on these things when all the history they're "depicting" is more revisionist than the stuff they're replacing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

mycot posted:

Is deleted from the linked site or is it just not visible to guests? I tried to click and didn't see anything.

I'm cop to that going over my head.

Someone jog my memory, are there any fairly prominent (so not gambler #10) female or nonwhite NPCs in New Vegas? House is a faction of one and The Legion obviously wouldn't. Not that this kind of person has coherent ideals, they're clearly just bothered by any attention at all being given to minorities, but I'm curious on what their taste in video games is.

The main NCR contact in the Vegas HQ is a black man IIRC. Not the president, but the guy behind the desk giving missions. I'd look it up, but I don't care that much. I'm weak, It's Dennis Crocker - Ambassador for the NCR.

Also the woman in charge of the Followers of Apocalypse, but that's barely a faction. There are also women in charge of Crimson Caravan, the Implant Clinic, and The Boomers. And, thankfully, a non-white guy in charge of the Khans.

So it's not 0, but it's not a large percentage.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah Bethesda leaning into the old-timey nostalgia aesthetic while mostly half-assing the scathing social satire of the old Fallouts kind of made that inevitable.

Which is a real shame, since Fallout 1 and 2 get gloriously acidic if you go digging around in the obscure bits of in-game lore trying to piece together a sense of what happened. The pre-war America of OG Fallout was a breathtakingly tyrannical empire that forthrightly decided to blow up the entire world rather than accepting defeat (in a war that it probably started), no less!).

Liberty Prime was a tentative attempt at parody that unfortunately didn't go nearly hard enough; the GamersTM saw pre-war America summed up as a towering nuclear-armed war crime machine and said "hell yeah America #1 woo," and Bethesda just shrugged because sales are sales, no matter how stupid and superficial your customers are. In future games, the writers could put in more satire if they wanted (and they did), but the marketing focus etc. continually drifted more and more towards sincere nostalgia for the pseudo-history hinted at in the Fallout setting. Fast forward some years, and now we have chuds proudly publishing Lore Friendly Whites Only mods and apparently not seeing anything wrong with that. It's not a direct A-to-B causality, but it's close enough to squint at.

Not to be salty or anything, but what happened to the Fallout series is honestly a tragedy.

The Bethesda Fallouts are not half-assed at all in hammering the point that the pre-war USA was a fascist hellhole. They blatantly and repeatedly show the US was throwing its own citizens into concentration camps, opening fire on protestors with the military, performing human experimentation on prisoners, and whatever other horrid actions you can think of. You can find what used to be Boston's Chinatown in Fallout 4 and it was destroyed by a race riot before the nukes dropped. They're honestly more open about how dogshit the pre-war country was than 1 and 2 because they have a greater focus on retrofuturism.

You can't blame Bethesda for the Gamer Reaction. You show fascists all the horrible details of fascism and they'll go 'Gee willikers, that's swell!'...because they're fascists, they like fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’s that one 40k meme