Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
the driver who pulled in front of Treat Williams' motorcycle and killed him is being charged with "grossly negligent motor vehicle operation" so I guess if you want to be charged for murdering someone with your car you need to make sure it's a Hollywood star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

A person who violates this subsection shall be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than $5,000.00, or both. If the person has previously been convicted of a violation of this section, the person shall be imprisoned not more than four years or fined not more than $10,000.00, or both. If serious bodily injury to or death of any person other than the operator results, the operator shall be imprisoned for not more than 15 years or fined not more than $15,000.00, or both. If serious bodily injury or death results to more than one person other than the operator, the operator may be convicted of a separate violation of this subdivision for each decedent or person injured.

i looked up the max penalty for manslaughter in vermont and it's also up to 15 years in the slammer

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lobster shirt posted:

A person who violates this subsection shall be imprisoned not more than two years or fined not more than $5,000.00, or both. If the person has previously been convicted of a violation of this section, the person shall be imprisoned not more than four years or fined not more than $10,000.00, or both. If serious bodily injury to or death of any person other than the operator results, the operator shall be imprisoned for not more than 15 years or fined not more than $15,000.00, or both. If serious bodily injury or death results to more than one person other than the operator, the operator may be convicted of a separate violation of this subdivision for each decedent or person injured.

i looked up the max penalty for manslaughter in vermont and it's also up to 15 years in the slammer

drivers can have a little prison time reduction, as a treat

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

love it when people in the community, like Amazon, get to chime in
Sound Transit to study Amazon's preferred site for SLU station

www.bizjournals.com posted:

Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) is pushing to alter the location of a future South Lake Union light rail station.

The Sound Transit Board, with Seattle Mayor Bruce Harrell's support, voted on Thursday to study shifting the light rail station planned near the intersection of Denny Way and Westlake Avenue either north or west, to avoid snarling traffic in the area for the next four years.

Harrell had recently supported the original location south of Denny Way, but said Thursday that, after some thought, "almost anything" was better.

The board is leaning toward moving it north of Denny Way — it's now the agency's preferred alternative — though it also voted to study the option of moving the station to the west, which Amazon proposed on Wednesday in a company blog post.

"The current plan calls for a new station on Westlake Avenue. This option will shut down this main artery in downtown Seattle for at least four full years," the post said. "It will make mobility for our employees, neighbors, and visitors incredibly difficult, greatly increasing traffic and negatively impacting local businesses. As we've all started to see our city, foot traffic, and businesses begin to bounce back, we're mindful that now we cannot lose that momentum."

Amazon said it still supports another planned South Lake Union stop on Harrison Street, however transit advocates worry shifting the Denny Way station westward could cause a consolidation of the two stations if budget concerns arose.

At the board meeting, Snohomish County Executive Dave Somers said there could be $600 million in savings if the stations consolidated in the west version of the Denny Way station. Somers is a board member.

Moving the Denny Way station north but keeping the second station could add $170 million to the budget, according to a staff report.

Amazon is easily the largest employer in the city, with over 55,000 employees based between the Denny Triangle and South Lake Union neighborhoods.

"We encourage the Board to not rush their decision and at least be willing to consider and study alternative options so we can ensure the expansion of public transit in the neighborhood without having to shut down economic activity in the area for several years," Amazon's blog post said.

Service for Sound Transit's 7.1-mile Ballard Link, including the Denny Way station, is slated to begin in 2039.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Dear spoiled brats trying to do donuts and ~~drift~~ in the parking lot across the street at midnight and yelling about how to find the traction control button, eat poo poo and crash your dumb loving trust fund chariots in a ditch (without hurting anyone else)

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

love it when people in the community, like Amazon, get to chime in
Sound Transit to study Amazon's preferred site for SLU station
yeah just put the stations on empty streets nobody wants to use? ezpz

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
We can't build a station here, there's too many people who need to be here!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bbcmtd/status/1686663889067397120

passive voice: not just for cops anymore

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

eXXon posted:

Dear spoiled brats trying to do donuts and ~~drift~~ in the parking lot across the street at midnight and yelling about how to find the traction control button, eat poo poo and crash your dumb loving trust fund chariots in a ditch (without hurting anyone else)
Be the change you want to see in the world (caltrops)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Man dies in ebike crash?! These ebike are just way too dangerous!

Troutful
May 31, 2011

I just started riding a bike in a city in the southeastern US and I was expecting it to suck, but it turns out it's legal to ride on the sidewalks, which are deserted because no pedestrian wants to walk 2 miles to the nearest store. Between that and our (admittedly half-assed) trail system, I haven't had to ride in the road at all. Feels good!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Troutful posted:

I just started riding a bike in a city in the southeastern US and I was expecting it to suck, but it turns out it's legal to ride on the sidewalks, which are deserted because no pedestrian wants to walk 2 miles to the nearest store. Between that and our (admittedly half-assed) trail system, I haven't had to ride in the road at all. Feels good!

that is the most :smith: way to get a bike lane

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/leavitt_palmer/status/1686813823699664901

mystes
May 31, 2006

"how dare you almost get hit by me"

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

that is the most :smith: way to get a bike lane

we have some painted bike lanes, but I've been ignoring them because they're either dangerous or redundant, like check this out:

https://goo.gl/maps/HHm3zMoKHxG4m5VZ9

hmm, do I want to ride in the narrow unprotected bike lane that disappears in 200 feet, or the wide pristine protected MUP right next to it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thank you! working hard!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

thank you! working hard!

I'm so jealous that this intersection has separately marked lanes instead of it being a weird merge lane where everyone honks at you for using it even though you're right on top of the icon of a bike

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Also have some gently caress-cars joy from the skating thread

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nothing makes drivers angrier than passing them when they're standing still at stop lights / heavy traffic.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'm so jealous that this intersection has separately marked lanes instead of it being a weird merge lane where everyone honks at you for using it even though you're right on top of the icon of a bike
Having people turn through the bike lane is also bad though

They need to protect the intersection and have separate signals for bikes like they do in the netherlands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlApbxLz6pA

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Someone in another thread IIRC posted about riding to the range with his rifle and said that it was the only time drivers gave him a wide berth.

:hmmyes:

the war on cars can now truly begin

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

mystes posted:

Having people turn through the bike lane is also bad though

They need to protect the intersection and have separate signals for bikes like they do in the netherlands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlApbxLz6pA

I totally agree with you, i'm more lamenting the situation here than commending the situation there

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Why does this look so uncanny?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

bike helmet footage always looks a bit fisheyed to me, im guessing thats what you're talking about. I skate these streets and while I don't do half the poo poo this guy does it definitely activates a bunch of tingly sense memories to watch and would be a ton of effort to fake considering the cars movement in reaction to him.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think it looks weird if you're not used to it because of how smooth it is, plus it's Terry B so he's also just biking through tiny gaps and stuff without decelerating at all, and together that kind of makes it feel like the camera is almost not physically present in the scene as if it's a 3d rendering or he has activated no clipping mode

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Aug 3, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

weaving through pedestrians at high speed is very inconsiderate and not very safe

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

It’s fine just get a bell and machine gun the ringer button

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Does the skater look super-small to you too? I can't tell if it's the camera or if I'm just not used to seeing a person in the middle of a road.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you're not familiar with Terry B's videos all of them are absolute batshit insane poo poo that you should absolutely never do under any circumstances

They're probably all going to get hit by a car eventually and weaving through pedestrians is absolutely a lovely move but somehow I don't think anyone in his videos has actually ever hurt a pedestrian and so while in theory it's obviously not safe in some sense they piss me off less than people who do manage to hit pedestrians like that guy in NYC who made his entire mission in life intentionally scaring pedestrians walking in bike lanes until he broke his collar bone

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Aug 3, 2023

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Megamissen posted:

weaving through pedestrians at high speed is very inconsiderate and not very safe

I agree, people should be not driving cars on streets

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Terry B videos are OK but yeah the guy obviously has a hate boner for pedestrians. I'd rather people have a safe place to walk than a good venue for fixie spectacles

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think his whole crowd of fixie riders is basically a self correcting problem so just enjoy them while they last like some sort of dangerous but fascinating endangered species

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they really do just all get injured eventually and give up the game... just like mtbers

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Troutful posted:

Does the skater look super-small to you too? I can't tell if it's the camera or if I'm just not used to seeing a person in the middle of a road.

Yeah he looks like the little Dr Pepper guy. I think it's just the wide shot.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

They're probably all going to get hit by a car eventually and weaving through pedestrians is absolutely a lovely move but somehow I don't think anyone in his videos has actually ever hurt a pedestrian

He isn’t going to post the videos where he hits pedestrians.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol at anyone thinking someone generated 8 minutes of footage of lunatic rolling through NYC with AI.

Anyway that stuttering skater guy claims to have picked up rollerblading 3 odd years ago (what happened then?) and is insanely slick but is also bound to cream himself or a bystander if he does that poo poo regularly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

eXXon posted:

lol at anyone thinking someone generated 8 minutes of footage of lunatic rolling through NYC with AI.

Anyway that stuttering skater guy claims to have picked up rollerblading 3 odd years ago (what happened then?) and is insanely slick but is also bound to cream himself or a bystander if he does that poo poo regularly.

the first two skate lessons I give are ‘how to fall’ i promise hes creamed himself a buncha times to get to his skill.

the guy who rolls unlaced so he can step out of his skate and back into it, he’s more dangerous than anything you just saw.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

withak posted:

He isn’t going to post the videos where he hits pedestrians.

it's this. notice the parts where it randomly cuts 15+ seconds ahead? they're leaving out the externalities of their actions. as impressive as it is selfish

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Grassy Knowles posted:

is this guy on a bike himself chasing the skater? I have heard barentsen's name before but it just seems so smooth... and also incredibly dangerous even for him

hang on I read a few more posts: dang. Honestly being on high end blades is a sick way to get around NYC if you're in shape, it gives you way more control than a bike and the speed difference to me wouldn't be a huge impediment.

what would be an impediment is the condition of the pavement eating you alive, even more so than on a bike lol

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 16:52 on Aug 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

webcams for christ posted:

it's this. notice the parts where it randomly cuts 15+ seconds ahead? they're leaving out the externalities of their actions. as impressive as it is selfish

usually those cuts are because someone unrelated is distinctly visible or because the route is fairly boring for a bit. rush hour into midtown is pretty fun but probably boring to watch. also if you watch his alleycat vids he puts his hand over the camera instead for when there are distinctly visible humans. not that i dont think there are negative interactions that dont get shown, but thats far from the reason for most cuts.