Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Firebert posted:

This is why you build your swamp base high up in the unbreakable trees! It's a bit finicky getting stone down so you can light a fire but it's fun to do.
This is 100% going to be my next swamp base. Sick tree house is my loving jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Jabarto posted:

There were repeated, multi-page arguments in this thread about the update schedule for like 8 months after the game's launch, I don't know how you missed it.

Yeah, the game hasn't launched yet, and they did away with the schedule for the same reason other designers have done so: players suck and cannot accept that stuff is done when it is done.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
You can't disassemble the gigantic Tower in the plains can you?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What gigantic tower do you mean?

But I'm pretty sure you can, Valheim has relatively few objects you can't smash up, and it's usually just various flavors of dungeon entrances.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Do you mean the super-tall stone fingers? Those explode into 200+ stones each iirc.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I assume they mean the new one on the PTR and I have no idea, I still haven't even found the new NPC yet lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I found one and you can't.

It's actually totally indestructible so it could be a good spot for a base if you can figure out a way to build on it.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I haven't gone back to hunting for that NPC and totally forgot about her after the reply said she's along the (does quick math) outer 48sqkm of a 5km radius circle.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Andrigaar posted:

I haven't gone back to hunting for that NPC and totally forgot about her after the reply said she's along the (does quick math) outer 48sqkm of a 5km radius circle.

For what it's worth, if it works anything like the merchant, she'll have multiple potential spawn points and she'll appear at whichever one of those potential points you encounter first.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It is supposed to be, but after merchant hunting for hours on end the past few worlds I played with friends, I'm just going to wait until we group again. There's free build with passive AI to be played also!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you upgraded an old world and already explored the area a bunch she genuinely might not be able to spawn, unfortunately. Same with her points of interest.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I haven't played since December, is there somewhere that compiles all updated and patches since then in one list?

What I'm primarily interested in is if fishing has been updated to be better. I love the mechanics of actually fishing (the update that came with Mistlands) but I hated the progression gating with the different types of bait, all leading up to getting a fish in the Mistlands that wasn't really worth it.

Have they added more fishing recipes?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I haven't played since December, is there somewhere that compiles all updated and patches since then in one list?

What I'm primarily interested in is if fishing has been updated to be better. I love the mechanics of actually fishing (the update that came with Mistlands) but I hated the progression gating with the different types of bait, all leading up to getting a fish in the Mistlands that wasn't really worth it.

Have they added more fishing recipes?

I recall some changes to fishing. Hildir's quest chain can be tested but hasnt gone live. Likely no updates till late August.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

IHave they added more fishing recipes?

No.

They changed the bait recipe so that they are all regular bait you buy from the trader + trophy as opposed to biome specific bait + trophy thereby eliminating the progression. But that's it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

drewhead posted:

No.

They changed the bait recipe so that they are all regular bait you buy from the trader + trophy as opposed to biome specific bait + trophy thereby eliminating the progression. But that's it.

That's literally good enough for me. :toot:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They need to figure out some way to make the different fish mean something. I don't know if it's mechanically possible but it would rule to have like a generic fish recipe where you get a different bonus depending on which fish you use. Planes fish gives you fire resistance misland fish gives you a small magica boost etc.

As of now only one biome fish is useful as it's own unique recipe and that seems like a massive oversight.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Different fish give different bonus resources when caught like stone, chitin, onion seeds, iron ore etc., but the bonus is not guaranteed and the amount is fairly negligible unless you are fishing A LOT.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Dwesa posted:

Different fish give different bonus resources when caught like stone, chitin, onion seeds, iron ore etc., but the bonus is not guaranteed and the amount is fairly negligible unless you are fishing A LOT.

That sounds like ARK. And i completely disagree with a random loot generator style of gameplay.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Burns posted:

That sounds like ARK. And i completely disagree with a random loot generator style of gameplay.
That's not my suggestion, that's how it is now. I am just saying there are already some overlooked minor differences between fish.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
hillary talking to herself itt

Burns
May 10, 2008

Khanstant posted:

hillary talking to herself itt

That made me giggle.

But yeah we will likely see more fish recipes with ashlands update hopefully.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

This mechanic is dumb. Most of the time in Valheim is spent accomplishing something specific and then in that case picking up a bunch of extra skeleton bones or turnip seeds isn't necessarily helpful. The game in general is desperately needing a menu option where you can select which items you pick up automatically and which ones you need to click on. One of the groups I used to play with used to sneak skeleton bones into people's inventory because they were so annoying.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Hey, skeleton bones are useful for, uh, like one thing that you’re well out of the swamps before you can make

I mean it’s good that they’re really easy to farm, I guess

Burns
May 10, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Hey, skeleton bones are useful for, uh, like one thing that you’re well out of the swamps before you can make

I mean it’s good that they’re really easy to farm, I guess

There are bone bolts for the Arbalest which is a good and cheap ammo type.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Burns posted:

There are bone bolts for the Arbalest which is a good and cheap ammo type.

But by the time one unlocks the Arbalest one is floating in black metal.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Exactly. You can make it and its ammo very easily in the Swamps… if you have access to a Black Forge, which you can’t make until you’ve basically mastered the Mistlands.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There are a lot of things in Valheim that make me wonder if there’s a missing world mechanic where you can find a few indestructible crafting tables in weird, inhospitable places well before you can build them yourself.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
So when’s the next continent or whatever getting added

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They've psoted a few WIP screenshots of the next area already, it's a lava/volcano place

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm pretty sure they just returned to office this week and still have content on test servers that haven't had official release yet so I wouldn't expect Ashlands for a bit yet

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

They've psoted a few WIP screenshots of the next area already, it's a lava/volcano place

you can go there now, it's the south pole. it only has surtlings and flame metal, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A friend and I are having a lot of trouble with sync and object loading when we play together with mods. Sometimes things will be okay for a while but other times when we're close to each other either he or I (depending on who's not the host) will be unable see enemies, animals, their drops, or do damage . Obviously some kind of lag/sync issue and specific to mods since it clears up when we turn them off but we would like to keep the mods on. We are hosting locally, not on a server, which probably doesn't help but we never had these problems until recently. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix it?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

What mods and how’s the latency on the host machine? We had a dedicated server that sometimes had significant mod load, and there weren’t too many sync issues but things could get a little goofy if the mod load priority didn’t align with the net code.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Build Anything, Plant Anything, Plant Easily, and Unrestricted Portals.

We’ve made pretty extensive use of Build Anything in the Plains for our base but not a lot of terrain modification there or elsewhere.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

My friends are lame, and don't want to switch over to the public beta. Is it possible somehow to have two installs; one with Hildir's and one lame?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Characters can't go back once they enter a Hildir world. Mine'e busy waiting because I'm too lazy to roll back on steam cloud.

You can make a new toon or maybe dupe one I figure. Then just flag the ptr/beta back and forth since it'll just patch itself.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Ey, that worked! Thanks :D

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3678929839492928184 Looks like Hildir will exist on dedicated servers now, excellent.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I'm a sad console nerd that can't install mods, does Hildr's Quest also include the difficulty sliders they've talked about? I haven't bothered with the Mistlands because fog and instant death just seems really lovely and tedious and I'd rather calmly set the game down than ragequit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yes it does.