Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do you want an anime card battler or an anime card battler with perfect information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
They’re both very good; I think EXCEED is probably the better game, but Carmine might actually be cancer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I much prefer BattleCON myself because I dislike not having options that I myself didn't get rid of, but both are really good and probably top-of-the-genre games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Exceed would be great but BCON is near perfect so no need to play it beyond the IP preferences.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Tekopo posted:

Looks like we are going to get Guilty Gear EXCEED

https://twitter.com/ArcSystemWorksU/status/1686497377685766144?t=5VUCw_P1iWhWbLfYJV9IGQ&s=19

I didn't buy into the BlazBlue and Under-Night seasons but I might splash out for this one. Love me some Guilty Gear.

Can’t wait to roman cancel by throwing my hand at my opponent

wait or would that be burst

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 2, 2023

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Tekopo posted:

Looks like we are going to get Guilty Gear EXCEED

Well that's pretty exciting. Big fan of EXCEED and Level99 generally though I do think EXCEED suffers from the LVL99 curse where they under-develop the game skeleton before releasing mountains of content for it. In particular, I think the normals in EXCEED could use some big tweaking to make the character-specific and fun specials feels less anaemic.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Level99 knew they could not change gameplay, so instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed Exceed.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
BattleCon- Perfect information with the same mechanics across sets. Each character will probably have extra bits and bobs of cardboard they use with their cards.

Exceed- Imperfect information that can be mathed out with special mechanics across sets. Everything is a normal sized card.

Both are real fun, but my brain turns less into mush playing Exceed after work. So that's the one I usually get to the table.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Got Sidereal Confluence as it fortuitously came up for sale while this thread was yarning about it.

Gonna try it next Wednesday's game night. Any suggestions for a new group to it? We're pretty adept board gamers so far, and have a few negotiation games under our belt (Moonrakers, Pax Pamir, John Co, Bohnanza), but keen to avoid any pitfalls with the thing.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Spiteski posted:

Got Sidereal Confluence as it fortuitously came up for sale while this thread was yarning about it.

Gonna try it next Wednesday's game night. Any suggestions for a new group to it? We're pretty adept board gamers so far, and have a few negotiation games under our belt (Moonrakers, Pax Pamir, John Co, Bohnanza), but keen to avoid any pitfalls with the thing.

Mostly a good tip for beginners to help the game run smoothly is to impress upon people to not over fixate on the strict value of individual trades because sometimes people fixate on "my neighbor wants a large cube and I want a small cube, this trade would be a .5 value loss" and don't want to do it even though the trade would let them run a converter that would gain them far more than just the .5 loss on the trade. That and tell people not to be too aggressive inventing technologies in the early game. The biggest recipe for a slog of a game where nothing happens is when people crash their economy by spending all their resources on an early tech and then being unable to run any converters and not only that, but not being able to trade with anyone because they have nothing of value so they don't get to play the game anymore. The game is more fun if everyone's willing to make deals to make sure stuff happens. If they've got converters that aren't being run, find a way to run them. If they have resources they can't spend, find someone who wants them.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

silvergoose posted:

It was monumentally better than the last one of these, though, which was Flamecraft. God, gently caress that game.

What's wrong with Flamecraft?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's very little depth to it. It's effectively Baby's First Worker Placement.
None of the building empowering stuff is of huge consequence, very little strategy, and you are basically there to have A Nice Time With Friends and someone wins.

Bit unfortunate because the production value on the deluxe version is insane.
It's one of those games that is sitting in my collection atm cause I'm too proud to flip it, and it's very nice to look at :3:

If you had young kids I could see it getting pulled out semi-regularly, but there's nothing much there for older audiences.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

If you had young kids I could see it getting pulled out semi-regularly, but there's nothing much there for older audiences.

Someone brought out Flamecraft at my Tuesday group and it was well received. It's not meaty enough for you, and probably not for most of the rest of us either, but light/casual gamers seem to enjoy it.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I played Oceans for the first time tonight. It was pretty cool! It starts off simple enough, playing creature characteristics, making little combos, getting a couple points, not bad.

As soon as the Deep cards hit the tableaus the whole thing goes into overdrive! I got one fish that could have as many characteristics as I played to it, but had to score that many points every turn or else it died, and I instantly started putting all my eggs into that basket. I got the lowest score, so letting my other species die was probably not the right idea. The final scores actually were an inverse of the point handicaps handed out for player order, which is interesting.

I'm jonesing to play it again! It's cool that you're always interested in other players' turns, and constantly changing your species in reaction to what they're doing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PubicMice posted:

What's wrong with Flamecraft?

I found zero interesting decisions in it. Multiple non-graduated market rows, which is one of my personal least-liked mechanisms. Giant spread out set of actions, very few of which were different from any others. Zero interaction other than, maybe, going after a recipe someone else was also going after. It took a long time, which is a big sin for me when the decision space is so light.

I dunno! I just couldn't stand it, at all. I thoroughly agree that gamers who seem to enjoy very light games enjoy this, I just didn't.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Spiteski posted:

:getin:

You should be ok - as the advice above said, I’d just not bother inventing anything until turn 3 for your first games. Just try and run your converters as efficiently as possible and don’t get too caught up on trade values.

Except don’t make the mistake I always do and get baited into thinking that two small are worth 1 large.

If you’re playing with more than 5, it’s probably fine to include the Zeth, as Unity/Eni Et/Yengii are a bit rough to work out on your first game.

Also whatever race you pick (you should pick Zeth), you should commit as hard as you can to their gimmick, including speaking in an Italian accent and making people offers they cannot refuse.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Spiteski posted:

I hope you have a giant table.

VVV yeah that's a good idea although in all our games most of the trades are sorted out pretty quickly so it doesn't devolve into Civ-tier constant haggling. I think beyond the table space issue the number one thing I can recommend is to just Have Fun and really lean into the hustle and bustle and wheeling and dealing. If you let people wallow in mathing trades out or start overthinking things the game will, and I promise you this, it will grind to a halt. It looks like a more serious game but it should be like Panic on Wall St... In... Spaaaaaaaaaace

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 3, 2023

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SidCon is secretly an area control game, have a big table.

Beginner tips are just make trades,dont think too much about how much your opponent gets out of it, if it works for you it works.

Also set a 10 min trade window for people, it just puts a little pressure on people and stops people umming and ahhing for too long about trades.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I haven't played Sidereal Confluence but in similar games I try to make sure that people understand that although you might need to keep an eye on not giving someone who's already in the lead a big push forward, you're also playing for your own game and trades aren't zero sum at all because trading lets you take actions which you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. This goes both for people getting sweaty about uneven trades and also people wanting to always tip the scales in their favour.

On a related note, are there any other tableau / engine builder games which have some kind of player trading mechanic without being totally dominated by it? When I've played these sorts of games they always turn into social manipulation exercises more than anything else, and while I appreciate that it seems like a hard line to walk, it's generally lead to me avoiding trade-based games in spite of liking the concept a lot.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Any recommendations on a 2P game for someone who loves Ludo? Something pass and play mobile would be perfect, but anything is fine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Maybe a card game, I might suggest Lost Cities. Very simple, good decisions, luck from cards instead of dice. I know there's at least an iphone app but dunno if it's pass n play.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

El Fideo posted:

I played Oceans for the first time tonight. It was pretty cool! It starts off simple enough, playing creature characteristics, making little combos, getting a couple points, not bad.

As soon as the Deep cards hit the tableaus the whole thing goes into overdrive! I got one fish that could have as many characteristics as I played to it, but had to score that many points every turn or else it died, and I instantly started putting all my eggs into that basket. I got the lowest score, so letting my other species die was probably not the right idea. The final scores actually were an inverse of the point handicaps handed out for player order, which is interesting.

I'm jonesing to play it again! It's cool that you're always interested in other players' turns, and constantly changing your species in reaction to what they're doing.

I did like this one, but take Coprophagia out of the deep deck, it ruins the game.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Played Stegmaier's new "Scythe sequel" Expeditions. Somewhat mixed feels, but would be happy to give it a second go.

It's very Scythe obviously in the theme, but also in some mechanical beats. Your starting setup is a random mech with a special ability, plus a random leader and their animal companion, that form your initial two card hand. Move you expedition's mech exploring a map formed out of hexes, build up your mech and board with workers and cards to reach some thresholds (like this many workers, mech fully upgraded with four pieces of equipment, etc.) where you can plop a start on the star tracker worth money in the end for victory. Fourth star from any player triggers the endgame.

It's even less confrontational than Scythe is, player interaction is mainly limited to your mech blocking the space from others (you can move through other players mechs though) and picking up any of the five face up cards on the board before them. Unlike Scythe the board building and actions are very much based on a deck of 90 or so cards you take to your hand from the board or deck. Not really a deckbuilder in a sense that there is no shuffling, cards are either in your hand or in active row where you have played them earlier, if expending a right coloured worker with some extra effect, until you refresh by spending a turn an return your workers and active row to your hand.

My main peeve with this initial game was that it felt like even at four (it seats up to 5), your first couple of turns can be wildly different power depending on whether you go first or last, and that definitely feels like it can snowball from there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Lunsku posted:

My main peeve with this initial game was that it felt like even at four (it seats up to 5), your first couple of turns can be wildly different power depending on whether you go first or last, and that definitely feels like it can snowball from there.

We really need a "that's Stonemier" for just this sort of thing.

Like :xcom:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Someone brought out Flamecraft at my Tuesday group and it was well received. It's not meaty enough for you, and probably not for most of the rest of us either, but light/casual gamers seem to enjoy it.

I'd probably swap it out with Champions of Midgard for my personal collection.

But yeah.. it's fine, nothing inherently wrong with it, and it is very very very pretty.
It's just super light, and I was expecting something a bit heavier.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He forgot to include a "cards can only be used once per turn rule" he swears he wrote, but introducing that caused more problematic interactions. Oops

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Aramoro posted:

SidCon is secretly an area control game, have a big table.

Beginner tips are just make trades,dont think too much about how much your opponent gets out of it, if it works for you it works.

Also set a 10 min trade window for people, it just puts a little pressure on people and stops people umming and ahhing for too long about trades.

We got the big table sorted. At full extension (pictured) it can fit 10 playing two games of 5 side by side.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Boo attach a higher quality photo so we can sneak a better look at your collection

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

I'd probably swap it out with Champions of Midgard for my personal collection.

But yeah.. it's fine, nothing inherently wrong with it, and it is very very very pretty.
It's just super light, and I was expecting something a bit heavier.

same, that shits survived multiple downsizings and still holds up

Infinitum posted:

Boo attach a higher quality photo so we can sneak a better look at your collection

just lol if you can't identify 3/4th of those games by grainy box art

some tru gamer you are

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean.. yeah, but I still like seeing collections :v:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Well who am I to deny internet strangers the chance to justify my ridiculous spending habits

Technically the third pic is all stuff I wont have for long. It's clearout time

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 4, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How is Autobahn? I was looking at it at one point as a potential alternative to Brass Birmingham.

Was going to say if you're getting rid of Letters from Whitechapel to grab the much more focused Whitehall Mystery, but yall already got it.

:hellyeah: Iron Clays.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Infinitum posted:

How is Autobahn? I was looking at it at one point as a potential alternative to Brass Birmingham.

It's a different beast to brass for sure. I'd liken it more to something like Concordia or Lacrimosa. Much less interaction in the market compared to the brass games.

quote:

Was going to say if you're getting rid of Letters from Whitechapel to grab the much more focused Whitehall Mystery, but yall already got it.

Yea I love me some hidden movement, but I now have Sniper Elite, Whitehall, Whitechapel, Mind MGMT, and beast so I just need to bloody stop.

quote:

:hellyeah: Iron Clays.

The best 150 NZD I ever spent on board games related stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah honestly I should just add Birmingham at some point and stop loving around with alternatives.

Spiteski posted:

Yea I love me some hidden movement, but I now have Sniper Elite, Whitehall, Whitechapel, Mind MGMT, and beast so I just need to bloody stop.

As a hidden movement ~connoisseur~, I'd strongly recommend Fury of Dracula

Whitehall + Fury are basically the 2 Best In Class hidden movement games I own

Spiteski posted:

The best 150 NZD I ever spent on board games related stuff.

Yeah they're great. High quality accessories are the best
I got a bunch of Wyrmwood Hex Tiles for my table, and while they were very expensive they're amazing to bust out.

Past that I use a bunch of small Blanda Matt bowls from Ikea
As well as Ostbit wooden trays also from Ikea. Which are perfect for when you have tons of fiddly poo poo like Twilight Imperium.

Can also highly recommend the BoardGameTables/AllPlay table mats.
Big rear end mats, and high quality to boot.

If they did custom sizes I'd probably get one. I know Viking Mats do them, but I need something 95 inches long to cover my whole table and they only do up to 80 (Plus I want all the bells and whistles with 5mm thickness and stitched sides)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
pipelinehavers :hmmyes:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So for some reason Potomac Distribution doesn't sell standard Ultra Pro sleeves anymore, does anyone know of a good/reputable seller of bulk sleeves?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

So for some reason Potomac Distribution doesn't sell standard Ultra Pro sleeves anymore, does anyone know of a good/reputable seller of bulk sleeves?

How bulk is bulk? Giochix regularly run Kickstarters selling sleeves by the kilo in sizes of your choice. The lighter ones come to about €1/50. You can probably order penny sleeves from Mayday if you just want MTG size.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

PRADA SLUT posted:

pipelinehavers :hmmyes:

Pipeline is great. Brutally tight, but great

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Spiteski posted:

Well who am I to deny internet strangers the chance to justify my ridiculous spending habits

Technically the third pic is all stuff I wont have for long. It's clearout time

Scanning... scanning... No 18xx detected. Adding user to ignore list.

Also I see you fell for the Pret-a-Porter reprint as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I'm trying! 1846 is in the mail and I've been attempting to learn Chesapeake on the online site.
I suck at it tho, so not sure I'll ever be a real gamerTM