Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

It seems a little odd to me that we spend $2500 on candles, to give them to a quest giver, who gives us $5000 as a reward. It would make a little more sense if we had to go buy the candles and then place them ourselves on the path, fighting monsters along the way. It really feels like what, exactly, did we bring to this quest? The dude had money, the clerics were freely selling the candles to anyone with money, the dude is not bed ridden, or already has someone else lined up to place the candles. It's an odd take on RPG NPCs are ineffective.

Alternatively:
Someone who is good with adventuring help. My pilgrim's path is overrun with random encounters.

Spend money on candles

No.

It's a starter town quest that lets you use one of a few Path Actions to clear it - Partitio's is very straightforward about it and the only one that's pure cash, other Actions are a little more dynamic.

I guess the implication is that most people wouldn't ask random people on the street if they have a candle they can buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The old man isn't an expert Merchant like Partitio, merchanting is hard for novices.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah but he's a random guy with 5000 in cash, looking for 3 things that cost like 900 each? Even if he gets fleeced he can't do much worse than paying someone else to be a middleman.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
And remember, one of the candles was bought from a priest up the path at the cathedral proper, so he's essentially paying to ensure someone else beats up the monsters by going up there. He isn't a fighter, so he'll pay good money for someone who *can* be one.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Complete_Cynic posted:

It's a starter town quest that lets you use one of a few Path Actions to clear it - Partitio's is very straightforward about it and the only one that's pure cash, other Actions are a little more dynamic.

I guess the implication is that most people wouldn't ask random people on the street if they have a candle they can buy?

Indeed. The starting character I had on my run was... a little more forceful in acquiring the candles, and not so keen on paying for them.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Indeed. The starting character I had on my run was... a little more forceful in acquiring the candles, and not so keen on paying for them.

It's their fault for running into a giant bear of a man in the middle of the night.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Draga posted:

It's their fault for running into a giant bear of a man in the middle of the night.

IN PURSUIT OF CANDLES

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mega64 posted:

I scour for a good person to hire to help me get discounts, and this is the best I could find in Flamechurch or Oresrush. 10% ain't much, but it's something.

Though honestly, the 10% discount is heavily outweighed by the hire cost, and the fact the cleric's main skill is redundant when our main character is also a cleric.
Wasn't someone in the last town 25% off for the same hiring cost?

Edit - nope, 25% more from sales.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Draga posted:

Sometimes you have to beat the crap out of the faithful to save the faithful. It's all very theological and profound really.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
You had to PAY for your candles?

It should be fairly obvious who I chose as my main character. :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's time for a new character! First, we need to go to the city of New Delsta.

A Sensational City

New Delsta is huge, enough so that I'll have to cover it in its own update. For now, we have other business to attend to.

Namely, these two jerk ruffians being mean to a poor dog.

Hehe. Stay right where you are, li'l doggie. We won't kill ya. We just wanna see how sharp our new blades are.

Why don't you mind your own business? Things were just gettin' good!

Seems these idiots need to be taught a lesson.

Unsurprisingly, a couple of twits who want to take pleasure in hurting a dog are pathetic.

Dammit! You'll regret this!

Uh huh.

Seems this woman helped clean up the trash.

Woof! Woof, woof!

...You must be hungry. Here, have this.

Thank you for protecting her.

Are you a traveler? Would you happen to need a hand on your journey?

She seems more than capable, and the more the merrier.

Anyway, now we can begin Throné's Chapter 1.

-----

Video: On the Run

Urgency

RAT

...Don't waste your breath. Keep running!

We should be able to get up top through here!

What's the matter, Scaracci?

The rats finally caught up to us...
drat it all!

Sorry, Throné...

Throné is a thief and specializes with the dagger, though she's also handy with a sword.

Each character has their own unique skills. Pirro has a P.Atk self-buff and a strong dagger attack.

Scaracci is a bit more selfish, with a skill to debuff everyone's P.Def besides himself and a skill that forces another character to take damage for him.

Throné meanwhile starts out with a dark-elemental magic attack and the ability to steal items from foes. Like Collect, the accuracy scales based on how much damage the foe has taken and can be boosted with BP.

No time for that right now, though.

SILENCE

I just don't get it... Why is this door locked...?

Donnie...
No, no, no...! Don't tell me he's dead!

Dammit! What the hell is goin' on...!?

Our plan was perfect. We slipped into the Diamante estate and got what we came for. There was no way they could've known to have all those guards waiting outside.

And only a few of us knew the plan.

You can't be serious... Who'd sell us out like that!?
We can figure that out later.
...She's right. We have to get out of here first.

Let's go.

Stillness Underground

If you go back the way you were chased, there's a nice ring that gives +20 to both defenses.

Otherwise, this is your standard sewer. Just go west a bit and beat up random pursuers along the way.

What's another one of those rats doin' here!?
...They must've known we'd come this way. What do we do now?
...Wait here. I'll handle this.

Throné's night path action is Ambush. It can knock out NPCs, but only if Throné is at a high enough level. Otherwise it's the easiest way to get rid of problematic NPCs.

Show us what the best in the nest can do.

We basically climb the ladder to take the upper path and loop around to behind this guard.

...And it's that simple! Position doesn't matter in normal gameplay, but it's kinda important in these story instances.

Your skills are second to none. No wonder you're the best in the nest.
He's fast asleep. Didn't even see it comin'.

What's your backup plan, then? Cheese?

...Fine.

As you may infer, Throné is skilled in what she does, but she's not fond of the whole "killing" part of her job, at least as far as innocents go.

Time to say goodbye to these rat-infested sewers!
...Hold on. We aren't in the clear yet.

Th-Throné! If you've got that cheese, now's the time!

...Right. Let's go!

...They really want to stretch this "rats" metaphor as far as it can possibly go, huh.

Normal Battle I

Then it's up to us to exterminate them.

This is a bit tougher since there's a leader that's a bit more difficult to take down. We have to rely on Scaracci's axe to even break him.

Pirro does unlock a new skill for this fight, though.

That said, this is still essentially a tutortial battle, so it's of little threat to us.

Take that, ya lousy vermin!
Wh-what's that look about!?

...I didn't say that.

If y'know what I mean, Throné. Hehehe...

So yeah, Scaracci is a lovely fellow. Great ally.

-----

A Sensational City (Night)

Behold, New Delsta at night.

Ahh, how I missed these filthy little streets. I would've hated to kick the bucket down there in those sewers...

Who did this to us...?
...I wish I knew.

...Those two aren't going to be happy about this.

SILENCE

I'd rather die than face their "punishment"...!

So long as those two hold our chains, we have to obey them.
That's crazy talk! I ain't no dog!
Quiet, Scaracci. There might still be rats around.

I'll deliver the mark to Father.
All right. Be careful out there.

Throné and the others are stuck in this life of crime, just doing what they can to survive.

Time to go home...

Well, let's do a bit of exploration. It can't be all bad, right...?

...Nevermind.

Throné is great for these NPCs that love to block doorways and hide precious loot from us.

Of course, we're interrupting an intimate matter, but they can wait a minute.

A decent upgrade over our base dagger.

Here's the Game Parlor, which happens to be one of the main hubs for the Blacksnakes.

Flexible, deft...and capable of taking a life with the flick of a wrist. Just like you, Throné.

Miscreant's Melody

What is that staff? I hope it was worth Donnie's life.

Our client said this would be our last deal, seeing as word of our plan got out.

There may very well be.
Perhaps our nest is in need of cleaning if such filth is lurking about.

You are the only one who has inherited my skills.

Hah. You want me to loosen it, then?

Now speak of it no more. It is a badge of honor, one worthy of a true snake.

Very good, child.

We can explore the hideout, but there's not much to see, so let's move on to meet Mother.

-----

Video: Mother

SILENCE

Let us begin our delightful gathering...

Would you come here, please?

The Blacksnakes have long controlled this town. But Father and I aren't as young as we used to be.

Father has high hopes for you, Throné. But in my eyes, you are still...lacking.

You want Mother's whip, don't you, Throné...?

Oh? Not a peep? A few lashes is enough to bring others to tears, but I suppose you'll need more encouragement... Hahaha!
You lost us a wealthy client...!

Not even a whimper!? Let's see how long you can keep that up!

...Not the best family dynamics on display here.

...Can't you see I'm busy, Pirro?

If anyone deserves punishment...it's me.

Ngh...!

In honor of your selfless act, I will call an early end to tonight's meeting...
You can't be serious, Mother!
Things were just getting good!

Now listen well. I will be leaving our little nest for a spell.

I expect all of you to take good care of our home until I return.

After Mother leaves and the crowd thins out...

------

(I steal what our clients want... And eliminate those who stand in their way. That is how I've always lived... It makes me wonder... Is pain the only thing I've forgotten?)

Here, eat this. It's a dried strawberry.

Free to roam wherever you please...

Bygone Days

Thank you.

Want one? Least I can do for the best in the nest.
...No thanks. I don't smoke.
Maybe you should. People like us need to take joy wherever we can find it.

Then you're in the wrong line of work, Throné.

Hah. You can say that again.
We do what we can to survive in this dump.

I want to rise in the ranks and get my hands on some real money...

Buy good liquor, good smokes, fall asleep in a big bed...

...Sounds nice.

As Throné watches the dog walk away, roaming freely to wherever her next destination may be...

...the cycle starts anew.

Next time, Throné accepts her next job, and we see what inspires her to leave this city and start her own journey.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Starting straight out with immediately trying to kill a puppy really doesn't leave the writers a lot of scope to increase the drama. If this is the minor tutorial bit villain what are the bosses going to be like?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Black Robe posted:

Starting straight out with immediately trying to kill a puppy really doesn't leave the writers a lot of scope to increase the drama. If this is the minor tutorial bit villain what are the bosses going to be like?

New Delsta, and Throne with it, are straight out of a victorian penny dreadful; an era where subtext had been invented, but using it was punishable with jail time

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Black Robe posted:

Without spoiling much, assholes. Utter assholes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

New Delsta, and Throne with it, are straight out of a victorian penny dreadful; an era where subtext had been invented, but using it was punishable with jail time

As someone once said; "'I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mega64 posted:

Hehe. Stay right where you are, li'l doggie. We won't kill ya. We just wanna see how sharp our new blades are.

Well that sure escalated right out of nowhere.

WizardOfWhispers
Jul 21, 2022
Threats of animal cruelty? Sexual harassment? And a crime family that plays up the "family" aspect for maximum familial abuse? This one's not pulling any punches.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Black Robe posted:

I have a hunch we haven't seen the last of Throné's abusive parents.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Throné's story is my least favorite for the aforementioned... being kind of ridiculous (and a few instances of not feeling like they jive with the world around her), but I like Throné herself a lot. She just wants to be a dog.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kinu Nishimura posted:

She just wants to be a dog.

:thunk:

(I mean I know what you're getting at, but the phrasing. :cheeky: )

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i mean if you want me to start outright joking about her being a furry already, sure

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Throne's VA is Erica Mendez.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Kinu Nishimura posted:

i mean if you want me to start outright joking about her being a furry already, sure

*Glances at my own Throné, [REDACTED FOR FOR FUTURE GAMEPLAY ELEMENT NOT YET COVERED, EVEN IF IT'S FAIRLY OBVIOUS], before coughing into my fist.*

Gilgamesh255 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 6, 2023

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Throne really is the Primrose to Partitio's Tressa, and it's almost silly how edgy and dark it is. At least Throne is a little more "I don't want to kill people needlessly" when Prim was just "Time to stab everyone!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I would be willing to believe Mother and Helgenesh are related, at least.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Yup. New Delsta is basically Victorian London, with all the literary tropes one would associate with that kind of location.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's a new day, and time for a new job.

I have a job for you...concerning our little traitor.
Who is it?

But Scaracci always seemed so trustworthy and loyal...

Apprehension

He was seen meeting with Diamante. They plan to destroy me and take the Blacksnakes for themselves.
...What are my orders?
Scaracci is on his way to the Diamante estate as we speak.

Scaracci, too...?

SILENCE

However, Diamante is wary after our last break-in. Security will be tighter.

...Tell me.

You could disguise yourself as a brothel girl to get close to him. You're no stranger to using your feminine wiles, right?
I doubt I could convince anyone in these clothes.

I will find myself a suitable outfit to sneak into the Diamante estate.
Very good, child.

When you have finished your job, come and join me in Winterbloom.

Well, we have our mission. Steal some clothes to infiltrate the estate, then kill the owner and the traitor. Simple enough.

So now we go into Throné's day path action, Steal.

While Partitio pays money for NPC items, Throné has a percentage chance to steal them, which raises with Throné's level. There's some items that can only be obtained with certain path actions, so sometimes items cannot be stolen and must be purchased, or vice versa.

Now to enter the estate...

Fortunately it's a short walk to the estate in question.

And a pretty one, at that.
How about entertaining us instead?
I'm sure you'll find us more satisfying that the lord himself...

So we get inside pretty easily.

Now then, before I overstay my welcome...

I must make quick work of him. I have to find Diamante and Scaracci as soon as possible.

Den of Darkness

That was simple enough.

I wish all these mansions weren't so garish.

Throné's talent buffs speed, P.Atk, and E.Atk for three turns at the start of battle during the night. Pretty handy for random encounters!

Otherwise these other guards aren't anything of note.

As we progress, it seems someone else has taken care of these soldiers.

We may not be the only one going after Scaracci.

Another good weapon upgrade.

There's also guard dogs around.

(By the time he realized what was happening, it was too late.)

Before I finish things here, I grind up to get a new skill. Speaking of which, let's do a quick summary of Throné's skills.

Steal - Steal an item from a single foe. Chance to obtain an item depends on how much HP the foe has lost as well as how much BP has been spent. You can only steal one item per opponent, and some foes don't have items to steal. I'm not sure how useful the items you can get with this can be since it's pretty much all consumables, but it's a good way to grind up certain hard-to-get items.

Darkest Night - Deal dark-elemental damage to a target. Kind of weak behind a Thief's stats, but dark is also an element that's kinda rare skill-wise so it's handy for that.

HP Thief - Attack a foe with a dagger twice and gain HP equal to half the damage dealt. Very useful for both the double attack and to keep your Thief alive. Also one of the Thief's better boost attacks if you want to deal damage.

Surprise Attack - Use a sword attack on a foe. Does more damage the sooner your turn is. Not sure of the damage formula for this, but considering Thieves generally have high speed to begin with, this will generally be strong enough to do some damage.

Swift Step - Raise your own speed for three turns (+2 per BP spent). Speed isn't that vital a stat to buff since turn order is somewhat randomized anyway (albeit favoring those with high speed). It's really bad as a self-targeted buff, and really only works when used with other skills that like speed, like the Thief's Divine Skill.

Armor Corrosive - Reduce a foe's P.Def for two turns (+2 per BP spent). Pairs beautifully with the many powerful physical attacks your party will have, and even the Thief will enjoy this one.

Shackle Foe - Reduce a foe's P.Atk for two turns (+2 per BP spent). Helps a lot with surviving certain bosses' powerful physical attacks and can take some pressure off your healers.

Divine Skill: Aeber's Reckoning - Attack all foes with a dagger. Does more damage the higher your speed is. I've not used it much, but I've heard others swear by this skill as one of the best attacks around. This skill alone is arguably worth going with a Theif.

Support Skills:

Incidental Attack - The equipped character has a 50% chance to attack after using a non-damaging skill. Nice way to chip away a shield after using a debuff, but may also kick in at the worst times when you're trying to time a foe's break just right. Too unpredictable to rely on.

Fleetfoot - Boosts speed by 50. I'm not a huge fan of speed, but it's also probably one of the better stats to be high in long fights, and having a turn right before an opponent can completely change the tides of battle. Still, it's filler before better skills pop up.

Ensnare - The equipped character has a 50% chance to debuff a random stat on a foe when taking physical damage. It seems like a skill that works as good filler, nothing exciting but has a chance to help a lot in the right situations, but is kinda useless overall. I don't hate it, at least.

Life in the Shadows - Gain 50% more EXP and JP from battles at night. No benefits from equipping multiples of this skill. Naturally great for grinding, and with Temenos and Throné's talents it makes sense to grind at night anyway. A solid skill to have handy.

I opt for HP Thief, as the recovery from it should help a ton in keeping Throné alive and save turns on healing. Throné's biggest strength in general is her turn economy, and this is just one example of that.

Time to see what exactly is going on here...

Video: Selecting a Successor

SILENCE

Scaracci...

Seems someone beat us to taking them out.

I'd expect nothing less from the best in the nest.
Pirro...

Did Father ask you to do this, too?

What...?

He said to come to the Diamante estate and kill them both, right?
But, you see...

And he told Scaracci... That I was the traitor.

Because that's the kind of "parents" they are. They planned this whole thing. We're supposed to kill each other off until only the best of us survives...

That job was all part of the plan, too.
Donnie was just eliminated from contention earlier in the process.

Pretty convenient, and probably smart, for both Mother and Father to leave right after giving this mission and have their "children" fight amongst themselves. Probably not the best parenting methods, however.

When Mother and Father's power wanes, people will jump at the chance to take them down. That's why they need to find a worthy successor, no matter what it takes.

In Pursuit of Freedom

And I'll do whatever I must to get there.

Pirro...!

Video: Boss - Pirro

Critical Clash II

Throné must fight one of her closest friends just to survive.

Pirro's first turn shows he doesn't want to do this, but feels he has to just to escape the life he's stuck in.

Pirro uses a lot of weak dagger attacks, naturally.

Daggers do nothing, but swords and Dark magic are the way to go.

HP Thief is fantastic for this fight. It gives Throné a big attack for max boost, and is basically a full heal for her on top of that.

Oh, but there is, Throné. You are Father's favorite.

I have to... I must kill you...

I understand, Pirro...

Pirro changes his stance and becomes more aggressive.

However...

...these multiple attacks work against Pirro, as now they charge up Throné's latent.

Fortunately this never did stun me, but still, kind of a scary name.

Throné's latent gives her two action in a row, which is naturally very nice. Of course, she can't gain BP between these actions, but this can still be invaluable.

For instance, she can use the first turn to break a foe...

...then immediately rip them apart.

As Pirro is worn down, he gets more and more desperate.

He starts throwing everything he can at Throné.

Fortunately I guarded this attack at the right time. In fact, at this point I was more keeping him alive to make these final moments more climatic.

But enough toying around.

With one last parting gift...

...Throné stands the victor.

Video: Freedom

SILENCE

Nngh... You got me good... I should have known...I was no match for the best in the nest...

(It feels as though my very lungs are rotting.)

What, then?

Heart's Lament

To go wherever I want to go.

But how can you be free with that collar on?

Hah... If anyone can do it, you can...

Pirro...

-----

Throné, the Thief

(But first, I need to rid myself of this collar... And to do that, I need two keys.)

(But she left in search of new members. I must find her if I want that key...)

(He has gone to Winterbloom... And wishes me to be at his side during his next job. Finding him will be easy. Killing him will be much harder. But I must eliminate them both if I am to get those keys...)

And, well, that is the start of Throné's story.

Next time, we'll explore the vast glitzy city of New Delsta.

But until then, it's that time. Vote on our next party member!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wasn't expecting Pirro to be the first boss. I thought it'd be Scaracci.

The wiki also says Pirro's Pierce Through is an instant kill if you're at low HP.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Another neat use for both Collect and Steal is that because it scales off enemy HP, you can use it as a sort of quick and dirty enemy HP check, and you can don't even actually need to use it, just highlight the target.

Thronč is having a bad week, isn't she?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Throné ended up having my favorite story because of the sharp left turn at the end. I'm a sucker for a story that pulls the rug out from underneath the character

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pirro had Pierce Through as a party member; it dealt damage as a percentage of max HP, scaling to something ludicrous like 70% if you boosted it. Dunno if the boss version works the same, but it's a scary attack.

also there is only one correct option for which character to pick up after Throné, and that's Ochette.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well if we continue our continent hopping-streak then ideally the next one should be Agnea, Castti or Hikari.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is there some overarching plot that eventually ties everyone's stories together, and starts at some point after we recruit everyone? Not that I mind this world tour, but so far everyone just seems to be on a separate path and the only common thread is that influential people in their lives are assholes. But they seem to be assholes independent of some larger seeping evil. Like Mother and Father and the investor from the merchant's story don't appear to be under the influence of some malevolent spirit.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
If it's anything like the previous Octopath Traveler, how everything is connected won't start becoming apparent until we start clearing people's Chapter 4s.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

If it's anything like the previous Octopath Traveler, how everything is connected won't start becoming apparent until we start clearing people's Chapter 4s.

one of the things they fixed, that. every character unlocks a co-op chapter with another character after both their chapter 2s are done, starting the process of tying their stories together.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad to see that with how thick and heavy they did things with Primrose I was afraid that Throne was going to end up the same way with the "gotta pretend you're getting in their pants" bit. It was over and done quick.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Gotta say, I'm a little saddened to see the lack of willingness to get Castti, the apothecary who will heal you, kick your rear end for being an idiot, and heal you again.

(Team) moms are tough

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I've been voting for her. I like Alchemists/Apothecaries/Salve-makers/Patissiers/etc.; they're always a fun class.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I've been voting for her in every single poll, though sometimes together with others, and I also don't get why her vote totals are always so low. But perhaps people who've played the game know something I don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think Castii works better as a later recruit because there's a lot to her story and being used to the standards of OT by the time we get there will probably let Mega explore it a little more deeply.