Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good news! We've reduced shipping sulphur pollution by like 80 percent!

Bad news, it makes global warming worse :(

quote:

Regulations imposed in 2020 by the United Nations's International Maritime Organization (IMO) have cut ships' sulfur pollution by more than 80% and improved air quality worldwide. The reduction has also lessened the effect of sulfate particles in seeding and brightening the distinctive low-lying, reflective clouds that follow in the wake of ships and help cool the planet. The 2020 IMO rule "is a big natural experiment," says Duncan Watson-Parris, an atmospheric physicist at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. "We're changing the clouds."

By dramatically reducing the number of ship tracks, the planet has warmed up faster, several new studies have found. That trend is magnified in the Atlantic, where maritime traffic is particularly dense. In the shipping corridors, the increased light represents a 50% boost to the warming effect of human carbon emissions. It's as if the world suddenly lost the cooling effect from a fairly large volcanic eruption each year, says Michael Diamond, an atmospheric scientist at Florida State University.

The natural experiment created by the IMO rules is providing a rare opportunity for climate scientists to study a geoengineering scheme in action -- although it is one that is working in the wrong direction. Indeed, one such strategy to slow global warming, called marine cloud brightening, would see ships inject salt particles back into the air, to make clouds more reflective. In Diamond's view, the dramatic decline in ship tracks is clear evidence that humanity could cool off the planet significantly by brightening the clouds. "It suggests pretty strongly that if you wanted to do it on purpose, you could," he says.
https://www.science.org/content/article/changing-clouds-unforeseen-test-geoengineering-fueling-record-ocean-warmth

There's a pre-print here: https://egusphere.copernicus.org/preprints/2023/egusphere-2023-813/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
So lets start burning it again then, easy innit?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/08/02/southamerica-record-winter-heat-argentina-chile/

quote:

It’s midwinter, but it’s over 100 degrees in South America

quote:

It’s the middle of winter in South America, but that hasn’t kept the heat away in Chile, Argentina and surrounding locations. Multiple spells of oddly hot weather have roasted the region in recent weeks. The latest spell early this week has become the most intense, pushing the mercury above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, while setting an August record for Chile.

In Buenos Aires, where the average high on Aug. 1 is 58 degrees (14 Celsius), it surpassed 86 (30 Celsius) on Tuesday.

“South America is living one of the extreme events the world has ever seen,” weather historian Maximiliano Herrera tweeted, adding, “This event is rewriting all climatic books.”

The most extreme conditions have occurred in the southern half of the continent, and particularly in the Andes Mountains region.

Temperatures Tuesday rose past 95 degrees (35 Celsius) in numerous locations, including at elevations of about 3,500 to 4,500 feet in the Andes foothills. In some cases, the temperature crested above 100 degrees (38 Celsius) after leaping from morning lows in the 30s and 40s (single-digits Celsius).

Some places have even reached all-time maximums — surpassing summer temperatures, even though it is winter. This has occurred in locations with 20 to 30 years of climate data available, showing how exceptional this heat is compared with recent decades.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

If we're going the geoengineering route, that no poo poo seems to be a good way to get started quickly. We already have the delivery mechanism (ships and maybe other stuff that runs on oil).

Downside is it gives people cancer, a lot.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Acid rain too. Sulfur is bad. All the ships have changed over and the supply chain is now set up for low sulfur. It was a big deal that took a long time and we should absolutely not go back to high sulfur fuels.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

We shouldn't be going the BAU + geoengineering route at all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Adding salt to clouds seems like a uh... not well thought out idea.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug
Let's start controlled burning large scale to increase cloud coverage for global dimming and keeping more carbon in the soil
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/12/211223113102.htm

quote:

More carbon is stored in the world's soil than in the global vegetation and the atmosphere combined.

I'll start

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

going from a sci friday episode for several weeks or months ago, I think some solution might be for ships just to get a powerful as gently caress hose and just spray water and make a water mist(which might become "seeds" for clouds?

not sure if what SciFri was talking about is the same thing as this Salt Cloud injection thingy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

By far the most realistic geoengineering solution is just to inject sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere by aircraft. It's got a lot of problems and a lot of unknown unknowns - still firmly in the "wtf don't do it" camp. However, it is easily realizable, and would cause significantly less human health effects than removing the sulfur regulations in shipping. SO2 has a relatively long residence time in the stratosphere, making it more effective and reducing concentrations at ground level. Of course, the cooling effect ceases within a couple years of stopping the injections, and it does nothing for ocean acidification.

PhazonLink posted:

going from a sci friday episode for several weeks or months ago, I think some solution might be for ships just to get a powerful as gently caress hose and just spray water and make a water mist(which might become "seeds" for clouds?

not sure if what SciFri was talking about is the same thing as this Salt Cloud injection thingy.
It's not the worst idea, but it would only seed clouds around shipping lanes. Most cloud or cloud brightening proposals use a whole bunch of rigs in the ocean to continuously spray water up.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

cat botherer posted:

It's not the worst idea, but it would only seed clouds around shipping lanes.

That’s most everywhere except the poles.

https://www.insider.com/map-of-global-shipping-interactive-2017-12

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Use aircraft to disperse high sulfur jet fuel. Bit like a chem trail. Double points for putting infertility drugs into it.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Acid rain too. Sulfur is bad. All the ships have changed over and the supply chain is now set up for low sulfur. It was a big deal that took a long time and we should absolutely not go back to high sulfur fuels.

For special agriculture goods like christmas trees acid rain is actually good, it prevents needle fungus and reduces the need of sulfur fertilizer.

Yeah, for almost all other reasons it is bad.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Guys I have a better idea

We should cease burning fossil fuels

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Slow News Day posted:

Guys I have a better idea

We should cease burning fossil fuels

I'm doing my part by exclusively using Uber Eats and Amazon Prime so that my car is unused.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

smoobles posted:

I'm doing my part by exclusively using Uber Eats and Amazon Prime so that my car is unused.

tyfys :patriot:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
am i missing the thatsthejoke?

havent ride share and gig worker apps increased cars on roads and miles driven? and amazon's delivery trucks are inefficent because they decided to be techbros and try to reinvent various logistic stuff

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mega Comrade posted:

Well the first guy said by 2025, the news ones posted are saying by 2050. Which is it?

We can never know until we have destructively tested n>=400 earths. Until then, our conclusions will not be statistically significant, checkmate doomailures :chord:

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

havent ride share and gig worker apps increased cars on roads and miles driven? and amazon's delivery trucks are inefficent because they decided to be techbros and try to reinvent various logistic stuff

It's the thought that counts

(it better be or we're hosed)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PhazonLink posted:

You might have a point there:

(close to where I live)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bummed out that I'm not going to experience the life where I wake up at 7am, enjoy a small breakfast of inexpensive and healthy high-fiber toast that hasn't had everything remotely nutritious and filling beaten out of it, head out my door to catch a streetcar at 7:30, show up early enough to my union job to sit at a park across the way for a few minutes, work in a manner that is intellectually engaging and socially rewarding without constantly fearing nonsense reprisals or my employer going under suddenly because some failson capitalist did something stupid without union reps keeping tabs on things, walk home after my day with a good balance of breaks and lunch time, catch someone on the way back and have a drink, and go do whatever I want for the rest of the afternoon and evening in my utopian walkable city.

Nope, I need to live in ExtractionLand, where you either inherited a place to live in a walkable city or you're paying still-ridiculous-but-hypothetically-affordable rent in a car city or suburbs to be forcefully isolated as a default and take a car 15 minutes for every tiny errand. Spontaneity is replaced by planning literally everything a few days in advance if I want to have any hope of not wasting every breathing second in a car. Woohoo I love what our grandparents and parents did to America, I sure am not chomping at the bit to radically change our infrastructure and society when they finally loving die and we get a chance to maybe unfuck even a FEW of the massive disasters they've created.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, "rare." Like the "once every century" storms that happen once a month now.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2023/08/maryland-reports-malaria-case-in-dc-region-not-tied-to-travel-first-in-over-40-years/

Until it becomes commonplace and we start seeing ads for designer anti-malarials during every commercial break.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The nasty one is going to be flesh eating bacteria. Baltimore has got that already. It’s been killing waterfront folks on the Chesapeake for several years to a decade now. Warm brackish water is a Petri dish.

It’s quick as gently caress too.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I feel like once white people start getting malaria the government will spend 1 trillion dollars and a cure/vaccine will be developed in 8 months

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There is an effective malaria vaccine you just can’t get it.

https://mrdc.health.mil/index.cfm/media/articles/2021/first-ever_malaria_vaccine_has_roots_in_army_medical_research

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

smoobles posted:

I feel like once white people start getting malaria the government will spend 1 trillion dollars and a cure/vaccine will be developed in 8 months

Why cure something that can simply be leveraged as an unofficial corporate tax on everyone? :capitalism:

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why cure something that can simply be leveraged as an unofficial corporate tax on everyone? :capitalism:

We really have reached end-stage capitalism at this point. Nobody can afford anything except the super rich, and once they realise they're only selling to each other, the whole thing will come crashing down.

I only hope it's not too late to avert or slow the warming process.

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
i don't think climate change is man made. the earth goes through phases.

for example the ice age.

imperiusdamian
Dec 8, 2021

TheMuffinMan posted:

for example the ice age.

The ice age lasted 450,000 years, the current warming has taken less than two centuries. The problem is not that it's happening, it's the speed at which it's happening: it's being accelerated by human activity and gives no time for the ecosystem to adapt.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Adapting or not. Our current climate is much, much more desirable than Pliocene unless you want the planet to be giant tropical oasis.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

TheMuffinMan posted:

for example the ice age.

Climate change denial should be prosecuted, and over here immediately perma'd

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vitamin Me posted:

Climate change denial should be prosecuted, and over here immediately perma'd

:agreed:

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Let me stomp this before it goes off the rails.

Muffin Man's position is one that is often encountered in the wild, and is incorrect. Seeing the "argument" and refuting it serves the purpose of D&D.

Everyone is free to dunk on it with factual information or to ignore it. If it starts going round and round and derailing the thread, then mod action will be taken, but we are not there yet.

Any more posts talking about whether climate change denial posts should get probated/banned will themselves be probated. Any more posts denying climate change without additional, reputable sources to back up the claim (good luck) will also be probated.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The existence of seasons does not refute that my house gets warmer when i turn the furnace on. It's not a valid argument.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
The only people I've met who make any kind of argument about climate change not being real or not being caused by humans are comfortable middle class Republicans with nearly non existent (or carefully curated partisan) sources of information. They don't really care or want to know, or they got the real truth from fox News and drudge report (would it be brietbart now? Don't keep up with RWM).

Less economically comfortable detractors tend to be more in the HAARP weather control! - or- it's third world countries, we need to look out for "ourselves" (racist nationalism basically) -or- yeah we're probably hosed but trump is funny and will take care of me!

First camp will pretend to be the sensible adult in the room, while the second is comfortable retreating to the safety of memelord lulz why so serious poo poo. The former seems to take themselves more seriously than the latter. Maybe when you've got a house and pool and boat it's easier to just assume you're clever and correct in a FYGM way.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

p. sure that was a low-effort troll. The "climate's changed before" thing is something only the dumbest say at this point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Inferior Third Season posted:

Let me stomp this before it goes off the rails.

Muffin Man's position is one that is often encountered in the wild, and is incorrect. Seeing the "argument" and refuting it serves the purpose of D&D.

Everyone is free to dunk on it with factual information or to ignore it. If it starts going round and round and derailing the thread, then mod action will be taken, but we are not there yet.

Any more posts talking about whether climate change denial posts should get probated/banned will themselves be probated. Any more posts denying climate change without additional, reputable sources to back up the claim (good luck) will also be probated.

In the interest of preventing the garbage argument merry-go-round, would it help to index common misconceptions/refutations of said points in the OP (as the thread progresses, not all at once) so we can point people that way instead of derail discussions? Maybe quote the original post and refuting posts there? This post has a lot of information (which is great) but little speaking to exact queries.

I only mention this as a spitball solution because it seems like this is happening quite often in D&D threads of late, and the solution clearly can't be to punish people exhausted by pretending that extremely wrong stuff is worth discussing ad nauseam.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The solution is to punish people exhausted by pretending that extremely wrong stuff is worth discussing ad nauseam.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMuffinMan
Sep 10, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
never said climate change wasn’t happening just dont think its man made the earth goes through phases.

More CO2 means a lot more algae?