Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

mags posted:

sometimes facing the bloodshed shocks you back to step one. suck it up goon, dehumanizing yourself isn’t a goalpost it’s a process that ceases only in death, the greatest dehumanizer of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQMJBNS42g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it’s okay to feel sad. sadness is just another of the emotions that makes consciousness and living an exciting adventure. I’m happy that I am able to feel sad, because one day i will die and I will lose that too. nothing is forever. be happy you are sad.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Zodium posted:

america isn't capable of doing anything with the minimum of violence and carnage possible, which is why it's good that it's crumbling

It's called ripping the bandaid off

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

StratGoatCom posted:

Or be alarmed living next to a dying wounded beast.

Yes that too.

Or be alarmed that you're inside the belly of a dying wounded beast that's cannibalizing itself.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Just a Moron posted:

I think it's pretty normal to feel sad about the country you live in crumbling, especially when the negative effects of the decay are concentrated onto the least powerful people.

not wanting america to crumble is a fringe position. most of humanity wants america to crumble. maybe one billion people don't, two tops.

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

StratGoatCom posted:

Or be alarmed living next to a dying wounded beast.

yeah one response to a china expanding its sphere of authority in southeast asia will be increased us pressure on extraction from central and south america

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Stereotype posted:

it’s okay to feel sad. sadness is just another of the emotions that makes consciousness and living an exciting adventure. I’m happy that I am able to feel sad, because one day i will die and I will lose that too. nothing is forever. be happy you are sad.

Also, one must contest one's own dehumanization as much possible; it doesn't do to let oneself be dragged down to the level of the monsters leading us. it is both a defeat and liable to be maladaptive.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Zodium posted:

not wanting america to crumble is a fringe position. most of humanity wants america to crumble. maybe one billion people don't, two tops.

I didn't say that.

It's normal for your emotional state to not line up with your intellectual state. In my head I know it's a necessary process for anything in the world to get better, but it still doesn't feel good watching the downstream effects of that process on my neighbors.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

And there's likely to be better ways for it to happen then this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hey now, maybe America won’t crumble for a long while, just the Republic will!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Stereotype posted:

I spend a lot of time outside, in my tiny garden. I have propagated a ton of Seemannia sylvatica and I’m looking forward to October when they will start to flower. ive encouraged a few Vinca that have given me two seasons with brilliant magenta flowers. I have a planter of zinnias and a few pots of wildflowers. we cut out a border and encouraged some native plant growth along the back of the lot, which is constantly full of movement from all the visiting birds and butterflies. the sadness helps motivate me to enjoy the peaceful green spaces I have access to now.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Same, I wear my mask so I can take a nice flower up to the intake and enjoy the smell, or not have my nose running from the pollen spawned by the heat and generally enjoy the things I like in life.

Also, the lemurs and orangutans and gorillas didn't deserve this as well as the majority of our kind.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's okay to be sad but don't become comfortable in it. Maybe everything will turn out okay after all. Crazy world out there. Things aren't that bad yet. Anyway, good luck

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

RIP Syndrome posted:

But where are they now?

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...st-eight-months

I actually didn't know about this, I was just guessing and did the search just now. Anyway, good luck out there
~26,000 times as long as she interrupted traffic for; one can only assume she really did waste that many man hours, hence this being a fair and balanced sentence.

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.

Tungsten posted:

literally addict reasoning
:yeah:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I’ve gotten so used to the feel and sound of AC that it feels eerie when its off

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

biosphere thread when the periphery is being destroyed by climate change: lol. lmao. dehumanize yourself and face to gigadeath. that's entropy bitch :twisted:

biosphere thread when the core has one hot summer: it's too hard to face the suffering, and i have to keep the ac on. :(

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
lotta sadbrains over the periphery too, its okay, everyone will eventually come around to realizing the joy of completing our great work

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

I'd prefer it died cleanly and with the minimum of violence and carnage possible, or at least a minimum of such escaping it's borders, rather then a temper tantrum that leaves us up to our hips in gore.

I would like a unicorn.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
thank god there are brave posters who can resist the Thread Consensus

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
thread is great cause theres no strong consensus. you got the liberals here to do denial and bargaining, the sadbrains here to mope, the wannabe ecowarriors here to rage, it's all a+ content. it'll be nice when we're all united in witnessing the dying of all lights, but i'll miss this a bit too

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

luckily I don't think the internet will go down so we can post our way thru this

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Zodium posted:

biosphere thread when the periphery is being destroyed by climate change: lol. lmao. dehumanize yourself and face to gigadeath. that's entropy bitch :twisted:

biosphere thread when the core has one hot summer: it's too hard to face the suffering, and i have to keep the ac on. :(

well yeah because its happening to me

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Zodium posted:

Yup, you are correctly interpreting what's going on here, good job.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

you can't even record a viral video of a heatwave, it's bullshit

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Last summer was too hot also

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

smoobles posted:

luckily I don't think the internet will go down so we can post our way thru this

that's right :buddy:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i'm going to make the last post

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

but who will read it?

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Aliens

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It's a moral victory

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hey weather app stop giving me excessive heat warnings, it's 66 degrees F inside my house

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I have a good life, and as much as I rage at the injustice (and yes, feel force/violence is more natural than the world we've built), I take pride in working hard and being capable (for now!) while accepting that nothing lasts forever and change is inevitable.

What I will not do is wear a mask while I work all day in the hot sun or cold rain for rich people.

I also am a stereotype of talking about climate doom ceaselessly, and every time I start to calm down about it somebody says something like "I just think somebody will solve this with technology, it's not like it's the end of the world" at which point I have to start back up again. Yet people still seem to want to talk to me :shrug:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I do? because the only thing worse then working all day in the hot sun or cold rain for rich people is doing so as your nose fountains endless goo from the pollen the climate threw out and sucking up burnt up forest and whatever horrid thing just jumped to humans as its normal host went looking for some new place to live as its home got wrecked by heat, dry or fire.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BRJurgis posted:

I have a good life, and as much as I rage at the injustice (and yes, feel force/violence is more natural than the world we've built), I take pride in working hard and being capable (for now!) while accepting that nothing lasts forever and change is inevitable.

What I will not do is wear a mask while I work all day in the hot sun or cold rain for rich people.

I also am a stereotype of talking about climate doom ceaselessly, and every time I start to calm down about it somebody says something like "I just think somebody will solve this with technology, it's not like it's the end of the world" at which point I have to start back up again. Yet people still seem to want to talk to me :shrug:

it's not the end of the world but it's the end of OUR anthropocentric world

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Like, the pollen these days gives me hellish sinus headaches, wearing a mask not to deal with that poo poo is worth it alone.

nakieon
Aug 28, 2020

i'm going to read the last post

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm going to empty quote the last post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Wakko posted:

thread is great cause theres no strong consensus. you got the liberals here to do denial and bargaining, the sadbrains here to mope, the wannabe ecowarriors here to rage, it's all a+ content. it'll be nice when we're all united in witnessing the dying of all lights, but i'll miss this a bit too

Was going to emptyquote this, but gonna ruin it by adding that the thread also has a rich history starting out with sincere graph posting and observations along the lines of "wait, this isn't going well, what the gently caress?" by people who got probed for making them in the D&D thread. Followed by the middle part of a real rollercoaster