Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

XavierGenisi posted:

And after playing through eleven Armored Core games in about three months? I'm even more excited for AC6 than I was before. AC6 looks so goddamned good, and August 25th can't come soon enough.

I just wanna say, awesome that you grinded through essentially the whole series. Also, big echo on nexus and for answer being goated, they have the 2 best storylines imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah that's really impressive to have done, I've been doing just the numbered AC games and am about halfway thru AC3, really enjoying it so far and like it the most; haven't really played these games since V came out and I hated it. Planning on moving on to AC 4/A after this game but I want to go back to the expansions for the first three games sometime too.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GreatGreen posted:

I feel like that is the most likely worst case scenario that could actually happen too. I doubt we'll run into the truly egregious "Windows mouse cursor never goes away and is always 100% visible on the screen" nightmare of port quality Dark Souls 1 had, but forced turn rates is something I could see being implemented in a mech piloting game, and it would indeed totally destroy any ability to play with a mouse in any real capacity.

Obviously I hope it's all 100% mouse hardware free look and our mech's aim is glued to the center focus of the monitor, Max Payne 3 style, but less ideally, I could also see some middle ground where mouselook and mech aim is decoupled, so like the player would be able to freely look around at any speed, but the mech would still have a max turn rate and would simply always follow the player's focus but would lag behind if the player looked around quicker than the mech could turn.

Hopefully it's Max Payne 3 style though.

There are plenty of mech and tank games that do turn rate limits fine. What you do is give the player two reticles, a main one with 0 restrictions that tracks their mouse exactly and and then another representing the actual heading of the gun which slowly turns towards the main reticle at whatever its maximum turn rate is. Like the second thing you described.

Off the top of my head this is how Gundam Battle Operation works and also also how Elite Dangerous handles mouse controls for its spaceship combat.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 2, 2023

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I'm on V on my series playthrough now and it's a lot better then I was expecting based on it's reputation online. I grabbed a preconfigured Xenia build from the AC discord and it runs excellent. Plays at 60fps too, much better then an actual 360 (or worse, PS3) which aimed for 30. You can boost the internal resolution but it turns the ACs pitch black.

Edit: Formula Front is is really underrated too in my opinion. Sure you can play the arena fights, which is always fun, but building a sports team of ACs and the in-depth AI customization is really cool. Plus it has really upbeat presentation similar to the PS1 games which I dig.

Also I think AC4 is pretty underrated just in terms of cool atmosphere!

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 3, 2023

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Am I missing something or is the end of 4A supposed to be insane? Attacking Big Box and Cranium, I saw myself getting 100 to 0'd by Vaoh and the other NEXTs sometimes instantaneously. If I kept my distance I had a few good fights, but getting stuck on the terrain in Big Box was infuriating in a high speed fight (at least the enemy NEXTs fall prey to this too) and in Cranium I really don't know if I did anything or not. I shot a ton of high ordinance but could hardly see anything which led to me feeling like Wynne solo'd. Then roll credits and back to doing other missions.

It's odd because the fight against No Count and then White Glint were really fun spectacles and then the lategame is tight, confined arenas where my opponents shred me. I've run into the same thing in the PS2 AC3 era games but never this bad. My first attempt at the final mission I got 0'd out in maybe seven seconds when one of the NEXTs closed on me. One had a laser blade I dodged but I legitimately don't know what cratered me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I should probably get back to trying to play the previous Armoreds Core

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Big Bizness posted:

I'm on V on my series playthrough now and it's a lot better then I was expecting based on it's reputation online. I grabbed a preconfigured Xenia build from the AC discord and it runs excellent. Plays at 60fps too, much better then an actual 360 (or worse, PS3) which aimed for 30.

Really? I only tried (and failed miserably at using) rpcs3, and didn’t know that there was a Xenia build that could run that stuff better, so if there’s actually a way to check those out, imma go for it. Which AC Discord did you get this from?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Zodack posted:

Am I missing something or is the end of 4A supposed to be insane? Attacking Big Box and Cranium, I saw myself getting 100 to 0'd by Vaoh and the other NEXTs sometimes instantaneously. If I kept my distance I had a few good fights, but getting stuck on the terrain in Big Box was infuriating in a high speed fight (at least the enemy NEXTs fall prey to this too) and in Cranium I really don't know if I did anything or not. I shot a ton of high ordinance but could hardly see anything which led to me feeling like Wynne solo'd. Then roll credits and back to doing other missions.

It's odd because the fight against No Count and then White Glint were really fun spectacles and then the lategame is tight, confined arenas where my opponents shred me. I've run into the same thing in the PS2 AC3 era games but never this bad. My first attempt at the final mission I got 0'd out in maybe seven seconds when one of the NEXTs closed on me. One had a laser blade I dodged but I legitimately don't know what cratered me.

The Big Box mission is mostly straightforward, as you've got a pretty decent ally with Wynne D and one of your opponents, Mazel isn't *too* bad. Vaoh is the X-Factor that makes it more difficult, as he's a loving tank with dual gatling cannons and dual bazookas made to gently caress you up if you're too close to him. He will absolutely shred you, and shred Wynne if he's given the chance, but both pairs of weapons have a limited range, so if you can play keep away and hit him at range, he goes down much easier.

The final mission is pretty much the same sort of setup: Wynne D and you vs an AC (Thermidor) that she can go toe to toe with no problem, and then there's a second AC that exists to cause problems. Shinkai is a very speedy jackass who exists to sneak up on you and smack you with his Moonlight, tearing into your NEXT as if it was made of tissue paper. There's probobly other solutions you can do, but my answer was to just take a pile bunker, lure the melee guy into following you into the starting hallway, and then blast him with it once he goes in to try and smack you. He dies pretty much immediately, leaving you to team up with Wynne and deal with the other guy as you see fit.

Other final missions do get pretty difficult too, but these ones are legit the easier ones, I'd say.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Im also curious if there's a similar build for VD... Though it's still quite ugly and I miss flight

I'm playing thru nexus atm

Pros:
Really like the newspapers reports after the missions, you get all your info after the fact so there's a lot of "Oh, I did that?" or "so that's who those guys were" which I like, good fog of war stuff.
I also like that the news is often wrong about what actually happened which is just corpo PR. The cultivation plant is cultivating bio weapons and I'm pretty sure I got paid by Mirage to false flag some Mirage guys but I might have read it wrong.
I just got the big fuckoff shoulder laser cannon and swapped to a tank build and clowned all over my arena rival.

Cons:
I don't understand the heat system at all and it's very punishing. My movement is very seriously curtailed by it since my boosters make me too hot even with a decent cooler. I do like how hot they are in general though, the mech is still happy at like 250c
I'm really not sure how to dodge but I think you're maybe meant to tank a lot more shots than in 4

I like the story stuff so I'm gonna keep playing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still lol that the temps go up to like 4000 celsius

Boosting so hard you're turning the earth into a miniature sun

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

XavierGenisi posted:

Really? I only tried (and failed miserably at using) rpcs3, and didn’t know that there was a Xenia build that could run that stuff better, so if there’s actually a way to check those out, imma go for it. Which AC Discord did you get this from?

AC Discord:
https://discord.gg/fKfm7ex5S6

Look for a pinned post in the 5th gen channel, "ACVpack" or something like that. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll PM you when I get home later.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Big Bizness posted:

AC Discord:
https://discord.gg/fKfm7ex5S6

Look for a pinned post in the 5th gen channel, "ACVpack" or something like that. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll PM you when I get home later.

Already found it. Thanks! Gonna try it out later tonight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Armored Core 1 is a bitch to control

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

If this is your first PS2 era AC game there's a bunny-hopping boost trick you can do that is basically mandatory to conserve energy and momentum.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Armored Core 1 is a bitch to control

ac1 is one of those games where it feels pretty weird to handle for your first session, and then your brain rewires itself into Mecha Mode while you sleep and then it feels like you've been doing it for ten years

stick with it and you'll have three pretty sweet games to enjoy. you can also try mapping look to the face buttons and mapping your controller's right stick to the face buttons, but it feels kinda weird tbh. didn't like it personally

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
last raven is still the best AC

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

for 3 more weeks

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'll go ahead and say that while I like what the concept of debt can mean on a thematic level, I'm a bigger fan of there being no pressure against experimenting with and generally just trying out as many builds as you can think of without worrying about being punished too hard for it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean you're already basically in debt slavery so yeah

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Debt is counterbalanced by being able to sell parts at the price you paid for them, experimenting with a different build is free as long as you don't fail a mission because of it. And there is usually a practice arena to test a build out in for free.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

I can't believe you played through that many armored core games in such a short time.

I do agree that Armored Core 4 Answer is the best and it's good to see that AC6 looks like more of that.

I've seen a lot of people trying the same run, more or less. Heck, I got through the whole series other than the cell phone games in about six months, so three months is impressive to me, but not shocking. (Getting V and Verdict Day to work at all was a nightmare, and the framerate I got was only playable through sheer spite.)

I liked Nexus much less, myself. The mission areas were tiny and bland, the weapon rebalance made most guns useless for serious fights, and movement felt much worse than 1-3, despite the more modern controls. Add in the lack of plot and the absence of the arena, and it was less fun for me than Ninebreaker, because at least I went in expecting Ninebreaker to suck. Glad other people had a much better time.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

What emulator is good for AC4 and is there some kind of practical mouse control option?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
rpcs3 runs it pretty well with some specific tweaks, but no, I don't believe there's been any mouse hooks for it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

chiasaur11 posted:

I've seen a lot of people trying the same run, more or less. Heck, I got through the whole series other than the cell phone games in about six months, so three months is impressive to me, but not shocking. (Getting V and Verdict Day to work at all was a nightmare, and the framerate I got was only playable through sheer spite.)

I liked Nexus much less, myself. The mission areas were tiny and bland, the weapon rebalance made most guns useless for serious fights, and movement felt much worse than 1-3, despite the more modern controls. Add in the lack of plot and the absence of the arena, and it was less fun for me than Ninebreaker, because at least I went in expecting Ninebreaker to suck. Glad other people had a much better time.

Yeah I am doing it to but I am having to skip games to make it through before the game releases. I finished 2 on Tuesday with a couple of really tight boss fights at the end.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Crazy Achmed posted:

What emulator is good for AC4 and is there some kind of practical mouse control option?

I recommend Xenia. The 360 version of the game has nicer effects and overall color grading. It's too dark on default settings though, bump it up to like 70%. Xenia is stuck rendering at 720p, but is a smooth 60 fps.

RPCS3 if you want higher render resolutions, also at smooth 60 fps. The PS3 version is inherently a bit washed out compared to the 360 version and some effects are missing even on OG hardware.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

WaltherFeng posted:

Did For Answer have some weird PS3 issues where sometimes it ran at 2 fps during huge fights and you had to change the patch version ingame to fix it or something

Never messed with changing around the in-game patch function for 4A, both 4A and Demon's Souls had similar issues where even the simplest particle effects could absolutely tank frame rates into the single digits. The effect for the anti-magic field spell in DeS and weapons that produced a sort of electricity particle effects in 4A could turn the games into a slide show on PS3 when on screen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zodack posted:

If this is your first PS2 era AC game there's a bunny-hopping boost trick you can do that is basically mandatory to conserve energy and momentum.

i couldnt figure this out so instead i just turned into a tank so i cant boost at all and i just get pasted by shots but have loads of health and giant guns

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

i couldnt figure this out so instead i just turned into a tank so i cant boost at all and i just get pasted by shots but have loads of health and giant guns

Hell yeah

The bunny hopping is basically not holding down the boost button the full duration of your boost. You want to boost, let off, then boost again when you hit the ground. There are YouTube videos that can probably make it much less confusing.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Man, I was not really prepared for how different ACV is, especially coming off of For Answer. It doesn’t help that the default control scheme is kind of awkward, with the game’s equivalent of the Quick Boost relegated to the face buttons. I’ve now got it changed so that it controls more like how it was with 4A’s Type-B control scheme, which helps, but I still gotta get used to how much more of a walking tank you are in this game, and the idea of having to use wall kicks to get any real verticality.

Also the story seems like a bit of a hot mess from just playing the tutorial and the very first story mission.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im playing For Answer and it keeps throwing me off that the menu confirmation noises sound like Maggie from the Simpsons

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

XavierGenisi posted:

Man, I was not really prepared for how different ACV is, especially coming off of For Answer. It doesn’t help that the default control scheme is kind of awkward, with the game’s equivalent of the Quick Boost relegated to the face buttons. I’ve now got it changed so that it controls more like how it was with 4A’s Type-B control scheme, which helps, but I still gotta get used to how much more of a walking tank you are in this game, and the idea of having to use wall kicks to get any real verticality.

Also the story seems like a bit of a hot mess from just playing the tutorial and the very first story mission.

The intro is definitely a very sloppy in media res kind of thing, but it gets better. I'm about halfway through it now and thinking it's still pretty sweet, but the big issue that's starting to rear its head, in the story missions anyway, are some bosses and enemies with some overtuned damage type resistances. AC5 at some points in its campaign has felt like you either need to be a jack of all trades and master of none in terms of weapon allocation, or trial and error pigeonholed type builds where you are really strong against a third of the enemies you come across but totally weak against the other two.

One of the fundamental appeals of Armored Core for me has been doing intrinsically different builds and still having them succeed on their own strengths while compensating for their weaknesses. This rock paper scissors element kind of detracts from that.

Big Bizness fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 4, 2023

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

Big Bizness posted:

The intro is definitely a very sloppy in media res kind of thing, but it gets better. I'm about halfway through it now and thinking it's still pretty sweet, but the big issue that's starting to rear its head, in the story missions anyway, are some bosses and enemies with some overtuned damage type resistances. AC5 at some points in its campaign has felt like you either need to be a jack of all trades and master of none in terms of weapon allocation, or trial and error pigeonholed type builds where you are really strong against a third of the enemies you come across but totally weak against the other two.

Yeah I definitely feel that it’ll be a problem. It definitely was the case for the train boss in Story Mission 02, where you got this giant train with a gazillion target points and too much health that’s constantly running away from you, and it felt like poo poo to beat. It was a mix of just, the rock paper scissors defense types being annoying, and also just, this vibe i got from it where it really felt like the intended way to fight the stupid train was only in co-op.

Mind you, I fully expect that i might have just completely missed something obvious with my build that could have made it easier or at least less frustrating, but it just felt like an annoying chore to deal with.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

XavierGenisi posted:

Yeah I definitely feel that it’ll be a problem. It definitely was the case for the train boss in Story Mission 02, where you got this giant train with a gazillion target points and too much health that’s constantly running away from you, and it felt like poo poo to beat. It was a mix of just, the rock paper scissors defense types being annoying, and also just, this vibe i got from it where it really felt like the intended way to fight the stupid train was only in co-op.

Mind you, I fully expect that i might have just completely missed something obvious with my build that could have made it easier or at least less frustrating, but it just felt like an annoying chore to deal with.

That train battle blows but what I eventually found was that there is a garage station nearby where you can respec with your currently owned parts. These are usually available somewhere in any given story mission. I went back and swapped to whatever the trains weakness was on all 5 weapon slots then went back and landed on top of it and just let loose. I don't remember if the game ever tells you this but if you press right trigger after fully scanning an enemy in scan mode you can see their 3 primary defense stats and act accordingly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

im playing For Answer and it keeps throwing me off that the menu confirmation noises sound like Maggie from the Simpsons

The sound design of the PS3 Armored Cores, especially their UIs really blew rear end, it's true.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

As much as I dislike V, there actually is a weapon outside the triangle. Kicks do a ton of damage no matter the armor type, and they do work on the train.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

You can clear a singificant portion of both V and VD by just kicking things to death.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I was initially attracted to the franchise probably for the same reasons everybody else was, for the mechs and all the customizability in the weapons, mech parts, play styles, stuff like that.

What I wasn’t expecting is just how hardcore the world of this series would be. It's basically the logical conclusion of infinite corporate greed and the resultant total destruction of the entire planet. It's so complete that you even start to ask yourself while playing the game “why am I doing this? what is left to fight for?” as your mech blows up hundreds of other robots in a lifeless, dust choked barren wasteland. You actively think about the pointlessness of what you’re doing even while you’re doing it. It’s kind of great that these games can put you in that mental space.

I guess I should expect this from the same company that made King’s Field and the Souls series though. Nobody does all encompassing bleakness quite like From.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 4, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The first couple of missions in AC1 are clearing homeless people out of a warehouse and killing striking workers who have occupied a bridge, I think in one of the later games there is an alternate ending in which you literally extinguish all human life on the planet. It pretty firmly answers any potential "Are we the baddies?" moments.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Cactrot posted:

The first couple of missions in AC1 are clearing homeless people out of a warehouse and killing striking workers who have occupied a bridge, I think in one of the later games there is an alternate ending in which you literally extinguish all human life on the planet. It pretty firmly answers any potential "Are we the baddies?" moments.

that’s ac4a where you kill millions of people in floating colonies. Now that’s good gaming!!

https://youtu.be/Z9SBGbCQuLc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

punished milkman posted:

that’s ac4a where you kill millions of people in floating colonies. Now that’s good gaming!!

https://youtu.be/Z9SBGbCQuLc

If they can afford a flying condo they deserve it