Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Doe any other streaming services have "Drooling Idiot protagonist with negative charisma" shows lined up? Between fired on Mars and Captain Fall, I'm starting to worry this might be a trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Praise Petey has avoided that so far, but it's not particularly amazing either.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

Pararoid posted:

Disenchantment will end after the next 10 episode block, dropping on Sept 1st.

I'm sad it didn't work out better; Eric Andre in a Simpsons/Futurama setting sounds like a lot more fun than it was.

Same, it's a show that on paper should be great but they really just never figured out what they wanted to do with this. Half of the time it was an episodic sitcom, half of the time they were trying to do some grand serialized story, and neither of them really worked. The fact that all three of the main characters' personalities became essentially interchangeable over time really didn't help things either.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It also didn't help like anytime Bean got progress, poo poo went back south and it just pisses me off the anatognists keep getting the upper hand everytime.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Doe any other streaming services have "Drooling Idiot protagonist with negative charisma" shows lined up? Between fired on Mars and Captain Fall, I'm starting to worry this might be a trend.

Oh, Fired on Mars is bad? That's a shame. Didn't look that amazing in previews but the premise seemed pretty original and I was hoping it'd be better (or at least get better with time) than initially.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A.o.D. posted:

Final Space followed that formula, too. God, I loving hated that show.

Add in "pathetic loser fixates on beautiful, intelligent capable woman and Stockholm Syndromes her into loving him" and you have Groening's entire animated career.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In my opinion the biggest problem with Disenchantment is how it could never stick to one status quo before just changing things up again.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, that was a major problem.

Is it high fantasy, with magical races? Is it eldritch horror with ancient secret conspiracies? Is it steampunk with wacky technology?

I'm sure there's a way you could have woven all that together, but the show went out of it's way not to.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Oh, Fired on Mars is bad? That's a shame. Didn't look that amazing in previews but the premise seemed pretty original and I was hoping it'd be better (or at least get better with time) than initially.

It's not bad, it's a pretty effective satire.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary
New Justice League: Warworld animated movie is out. It has a hiding-a-watch-in-your-rear end joke.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

TwoPair posted:

I liked it. It’s loving brutal. Bleak.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

TwoPair posted:

Fired on Mars is surprisingly good.
I think it pretty much got better with every episode.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Add in "pathetic loser fixates on beautiful, intelligent capable woman and Stockholm Syndromes her into loving him" and you have Groening's entire animated career.

In fairness to Groening, Homer and Marge really didn't have that dynamic until he was long gone from the show.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Final Space followed that formula, too. God, I loving hated that show.

Final Space had the issue of being a really silly absurdist comedy that occasionally switched to a super serious and dramatic tone.

Which is the same issue disenchantment suffered from. Along with having a Not Leela, a way more possessive and creepy Fry, and a boring literal and figurative 2-dimensional version of Bender.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Final Space thought randomness was funny for far too much of it.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Disenchantment has a lot of problems, but the interchangeability of its three leads might be the most egregious. Comedy should be rooted in its characters. That’s what makes classic Simpsons and early Futurama so good. Everyone is very well defined. In Disenchantment, every lead is a sarcastic, boozy jerk with a soft side. This could potentially work if the rest of the setting played off this (like Always Sunny), but that’s just how everyone acts all the time. The characters only exist to say jokes and stumble through the plot. If you actually asked me to define the leads, I could not.

Abbi Jacobson, Eric Andre, and Nat Faxon are all comedic powerhouses, but they aren’t bringing much to the table. Simpsons and Futurama stacked their casts with the most talented voice actors in the business when they were in their prime. Now they’re all very old which is a huge reason neither of those shows works anymore. Fry’s personality doesn’t really work when he’s voiced by a septuagenarian. And Disenchanted just feels like an even lazier late-Futurama.

There’s just nothing to hold onto. It tries to tell grandiose stories but there’s no point when I don’t care about the characters. There are always good jokes here and there, but not enough to make it worth watching. I had high hopes when it was announced, but it just never really clicked. There’s just a soul that’s missing at the center.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I might’ve been able to look past the character squishiness if I understood what fantasy poo poo they’re trying to parody. Feels like the writers didn’t even like the setting

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Final Space was a show written for people who cry at Marvel movies

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I never finished the show but Final Space seemed indecisive on whether it wanted to be a comedy or a drama, and instead of deftly combining the two, it whipped between one and the other in this really off-putting way.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No, it definitely knew it wanted to do both. I didn't enjoy the comedy, but its drama was...

Does anyone remember those grotesque Clone Wars fan comics where Ahsoka meets up with Anakin and her face is just 40% anguished tear drops?

The drama was that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

MokBa posted:

Disenchantment has a lot of problems, but the interchangeability of its three leads might be the most egregious. Comedy should be rooted in its characters. That’s what makes classic Simpsons and early Futurama so good. Everyone is very well defined. In Disenchantment, every lead is a sarcastic, boozy jerk with a soft side. This could potentially work if the rest of the setting played off this (like Always Sunny), but that’s just how everyone acts all the time. The characters only exist to say jokes and stumble through the plot. If you actually asked me to define the leads, I could not.

Very much so.

When the literal demon from hell, the innocent elf child and the spoiled tomboy princess are all interchangeable within any plot beat you know there's a problem.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TwoDayLife posted:

Fired on Mars is surprisingly good.
I think it pretty much got better with every episode.

I watched Fired on Mars and by the end I decided that the scenes that featured the protagonist the least were the best.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Well, this discussion timed itself well.

And by "well" I mean, "well I suppose the final season trailer for Disenchantment just came out"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XrFzLYi-Y

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Very much so.

When the literal demon from hell, the innocent elf child and the spoiled tomboy princess are all interchangeable within any plot beat you know there's a problem.

I remember watching the first trailers and thinking that the show would be about a princess who goes on adventures with two friends, one of which is the little devil who encourages her to do bad and/or risky things, and the little elf who tries to be the voice of reason and help her rein things in. And then I remember being so baffled when I actually started watching the show and saw no, that's not the case at all, they're all barely the same. The choices that the creators have made with this have just constantly confused me the entire way through, considering all that it had potentially going for it.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And by "well" I mean, "well I suppose the final season trailer for Disenchantment just came out"

The entire time I was watching this I was just thinking, "Yeah. Sure. Why not."

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"What would you say if I told you the worst is yet to come?"

Well, that's the general trend of this show so far, yes

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have been out of the loop since the end of season one, but did they just show off a modern day city and a robot suit?

IBroughttheFunk posted:

The entire time I was watching this I was just thinking, "Yeah. Sure. Why not."

:same:

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Due to a cruel twist of fate, this show happened to be when I was simultaneously introduced to Abbi Jacobson, Eric Andre and Matt Berry. And for each and every one I had to go through a process in which I rediscovered each one separately, and was genuinely surprised to find them all to be fantastically hilarious in their own ways. And each and every one of those times, I found myself thinking in some way "God drat it, Disenchantment. "

I think that I still think a little too much about the show because I feel like it honestly could have been something. But instead it has consistently been a confusing mess that was never really sure about what it wanted to be, and did a good job of wasting a lot of what it had.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Aug 3, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have been out of the loop since the end of season one, but did they just show off a modern day city and a robot suit?

:same:

One of the other kingdoms is a steampunk one with more modern tech.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

claw game handjob posted:

"What would you say if I told you the worst is yet to come?"

Well, that's the general trend of this show so far, yes

lol

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The show would be such a big improvement if Elfo was never in it or that he actually stay deadThat being said seeing as I hate myself i’ll watch the last season.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I remember when a friend introduced me to Final Space and I loving hated Gary for most of the first season. Somehow, it got better, and the second season was a vast improvement over the first. I will say this, it went big for the sad moments, maybe they didn't always land or there was a bit too much whiplash BUT I will take that over the majority of disarming quips and jokes we get in most mainstream media these days

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Aces High posted:

I loving hated Gary for most of the first season.

Same although I never made it to Season 2. He was just such an unlikeable rear end in a top hat and I remember thinking if they let him swear I might have liked him a little better. I couldn't stand the almost swearing they did.

I also couldn't stand him doing the weird dating thing where the love interest hates him with every fiber of her being yet slowly gets ground down because he won't take no for an answer.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Shindragon posted:

The show would be such a big improvement if Elfo was never in it or that he actually stay deadThat being said seeing as I hate myself i’ll watch the last season.

Honestly, it should have been focused on the king instead of Bean. He is the best character by far. Every time I was enjoying the show, the king was involved in the scene in some way.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Honestly, it should have been focused on the king instead of Bean. He is the best character by far. Every time I was enjoying the show, the king was involved in the scene in some way.

It's nice that he actually gets a character arc throughout the series.

Classy Devil
Nov 1, 2015

muscles like this! posted:

One of the other kingdoms is a steampunk one with more modern tech.

And, far more importantly, is run by an eccentric inventor voiced by Richard Ayoade. It's unreal how this show managed to waste such a stacked cast.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Aces High posted:

I remember when a friend introduced me to Final Space and I loving hated Gary for most of the first season. Somehow, it got better, and the second season was a vast improvement over the first.

Yeah, iirc the second season is where Adult Swim kinda forced the creator to inject a little more humor and while I'm normally against networks interfering with creators' work... season 2 is the best part of the whole series.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I didn't end up finishing the last season of Final Space, and now it's guess it's a nightmare to try, but it was weird that it worked best when it was just doing a Sci-Fi adventure. Gary's monkeycheese humor was tough to get past and only sort of worked after Season 2 retconned the context a little. Which was also sad because the show could nail jokes when it wasn't just having people scream and be random. But all the Cookies! stuff made it a hard recommendation.

I also just found out that I didn't even bother to watch the 4th season of Disenchantment and I don't remember season 3 other than the steampunk twist. Yeah, what a waste of talent. Not good at just doing actual comedy, but bad at doing the dramatic beats and adventure stuff that it wants to do.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Disenchantment needed to A: not have Elfo be as weird and gross as he is and B: not be as serialized and essentially be a fantasy version of Futurama.

Fry being lovelorn towards Leela is fairly endearing, mostly because he isn't so absolutely thirsty about it and downright charming in a lot of ways. Elfo otoh, is just a pervert and a creep towards Fern

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
By the time Fry starts making moves on Leela I got the impression that they're already both into each other and know it, Leela just didn't want to commit. It's still dragged out and feels like it goes on forever especially if you are binging the show today, but it was never really totally not mutual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

mycot posted:

By the time Fry starts making moves on Leela I got the impression that they're already both into each other and know it, Leela just didn't want to commit. It's still dragged out and feels like it goes on forever especially if you are binging the show today, but it was never really totally not mutual.

One of the consistent things even really early on (Worm Episode springs to mind) is that Fry absolutely can charm Leela if he was a more mature/capable/consistent version of himself, importantly it's still himself. The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings is another good episode showing this off, Fry isn't a different person, he's just more capable of things he already wants to do and be (Holophone).

The problem was never Fry as a person, it was Fry's level of maturity when Leela wants a stable dependable partner.