Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'm really only playing what's left this year because I already spent the money. TFS might be the one I skip, but idk at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Destiny has fantastic alien shooting game, there's just nothing like it around. But right now Bungie is doing everything it can to keep you from doing that. There's never a bad time to stop playing. If you're invested in the story (which you should not be; they WILL gently caress it up) you can just get the story beats from the Internet if you really need to.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Panderfringe posted:

Destiny has fantastic alien shooting game, there's just nothing like it around. But right now Bungie is doing everything it can to keep you from doing that. There's never a bad time to stop playing. If you're invested in the story (which you should not be; they WILL gently caress it up) you can just get the story beats from the Internet if you really need to.

If anything, Bungie just spent 6,000 words telling me they're gonna stop wasting time on all the pointless crap that gets in the way of my fantastic alien shooting game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The mode in which you shot aliens until someone jumped up and interrupted you has been deprecated, this is good for alien shooting

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Panderfringe posted:

How about you start right now

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

haveblue posted:

The mode in which you shot aliens until someone jumped up and interrupted you has been deprecated, this is good for alien shooting

For me, Gambit can do a better job of maintaining a high-intensity alien-shooting experience than strikes can, with the constant pressure to get things done faster than the other team and the lack of downtime from changing areas, without having the constant hiding and one-shots of high-end nightfalls.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Man I remember that Gambit Lab that had the enemy portal open when your team banked motes and it went a long way to feeling like a healthier experience for all involved.

It's a mode I unironically love and simultaneously wish was so much better. C'est la vie, I suppose; I'll keep gilding my Dredgen until it's no longer in the game because my brain's broken.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A link to the state of the game gets released and almost immediately the posts are mainly the people that love talking about how game is bad, talking about how game is bad. Shocking.

The Gambit move is not surprising and has been on the wall for ages. I like Gambit, it's a fun mode. But given the only real way to revamp it to bring in players would be to make it an entirely new mode it isn't surprising in the least they don't want to devote resources to it.

The article was actually good and said a lot of things I am looking forward to. If you're hung up on Gambit and Crucible then okay, altho there's new game modes, map and general Dev time happening in Crucible anyway.

The QOL updates are all great, I'm keen to see how the next season is structured. New weapon frames, Stasis grind hosed off (called it), new Strand aspect. Good stuff.

Also they know cheating is an issue, they have known, they're doing stuff.

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
Just make a seasonal activity where you have 3-4 maps and Shaxx makes us clear enemies from them and set a community goal to clear them like 700 million times or something before they unlock in crucible. There I've just monetized crucible maps and driven your highest engagement seasonal activity ever.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

joe sackburn

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

syntaxfunction posted:

A link to the state of the game gets released and almost immediately the posts are mainly the people that love talking about how game is bad, talking about how game is bad. Shocking.

I think it's just a mirror. A post like this is just going to reinforce however you already feel about the game, if you're negative on the game right this now, Bungie saying "guys we can't allocate the resources to actually make stuff we're just little guys okay? uwu" is gonna just make you be like, where do these fuckers get off? If you can't make the loving game, why am I paying you a hundred bucks a year? But if you're generally fine with the state of the game, stuff like PvP maps and yearly seasonal armor is obviously not of any concern to you and seeing stuff like "you'll be able to earn more rep in strikes with medals", "the raid will actually matter to the conclusion of the LaDS" and "You don't have to play Gambit anymore." is gonna be relatively nice for you.

Aqua Dracula posted:

Just make a seasonal activity where you have 3-4 maps and Shaxx makes us clear enemies from them and set a community goal to clear them like 700 million times or something before they unlock in crucible. There I've just monetized crucible maps and driven your highest engagement seasonal activity ever.

I feel like this would lead to either shittiest, most cramped seasonal activity ever or some gigantic Disjunction/Cathedral of Dusk-style cavernous maps and everybody tends to hate those.

Maybe you could nail the balance somehow. Slapping Battlegrounds into Vanguard Ops has been really good for that playlist, imo, so maybe it can work for Crucible too. :shrug:

Maybe make one giant arena for the seasonal activity then split it into three maps for PvP?

MJeff fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 4, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In retrospect I'm surprised they didn't do a battle royale mode commentated by Shaxx

Aqua Dracula
Nov 2, 2012
poo poo they're right making pvp maps is too hard

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

100 perfect titans fisting at once

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RBA Starblade posted:

In retrospect I'm surprised they didn't do a battle royale mode commentated by Shaxx

They have to have discussed it at some point, right? Wonder what made them decide not to.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MJeff posted:

They have to have discussed it at some point, right? Wonder what made them decide not to.

I have to assume it’s not easy to get Lennie James in the studio.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

MJeff posted:

They have enough trouble making maps that take 10 seconds to cross

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Imagine if at the end of the Gambit and Crucible section they did a nudge and a wink to their new game coming out that people might enjoy. I think it would be hilarious, but also the most tone deaf thing ever, and the rage induced would be amazing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The EAZ seems like it was designed for a battle royale type experience. I wonder if they ran into technical hurdles (the game evidently falls apart if you add a 13th person?) and scrapped it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The EAZ seems like it was designed for a battle royale type experience. I wonder if they ran into technical hurdles (the game evidently falls apart if you add a 13th person?) and scrapped it.

Considering the social space sizes that makes a ton of sense actually

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

and the rage induced would be amazing.

:imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny: :imunfunny:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh hey they finally changed the name of that emote.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The EAZ used to have enemy spawns all over the map including inside the buildings, and a chest-hunting phase that forced you to explore. But everyone hated those because the map was so complicated you would spend all your time trying to get from A to B

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

The EAZ used to have enemy spawns all over the map including inside the buildings, and a chest-hunting phase that forced you to explore. But everyone hated those because the map was so complicated you would spend all your time trying to get from A to B

I was looking forward to trying out that version of Solstice with my grappling hunter, so I was slightly disappointed. The new version is much less of a pain in the rear end to play repeatedly though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

haveblue posted:

Bungie made a level that was unlike a lot of other spaces they'd made in that it was heavily based on verticality rather than forward momentum, but the Guardian movement kit just wasn't built for that at the time. Slapping grav lifts and a couple launchers greatly improved it, plus now we have Grapple and Speed Booster to make the place way less of a loving headache to navigate.

It's a little bit of a shame you can't Spider-man your way through one of those chest collecting phases. Might actually be fun.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey does anybody have any loadouts with no exotic armor they're using for Bonfire Bash, remembering to switch off before completion is kind of a pain in the butt.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

IIRC a lot of the networking in D2 is peer-to-peer with the other players in the activity, and that just inherently scales very poorly past a small handful of players, as the number of stable, reliable network connections that need to be kept up increases exponentially with players.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Xur has the S16 solar wave frame if anyone missed out on crafting that. Decent Shinobus and Feedback Fences too.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

syntaxfunction posted:

Also they know cheating is an issue, they have known, they're doing stuff.

Clearly, evidentially, not enough. There’s a VAC banned or burner account blatant one in over 10% of matches easily, and that’s just counting the visible ones with minimal observation, not the ones trying to fly under the radar.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
if you've invested any significant amount of lifeforce into destiny (which unfortunately we all made the mistake of doing) I don't see how you don't come back for final shape

i've invested so much mental energy into this bullshit over the last 10 years, there's no way I don't come back to see the end. It could be worse than curse of osiris and I'll still be there, would be crazy not to.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

dodgeblan posted:

if you've invested any significant amount of lifeforce into destiny (which unfortunately we all made the mistake of doing) I don't see how you don't come back for final shape

i've invested so much mental energy into this bullshit over the last 10 years, there's no way I don't come back to see the end. It could be worse than curse of osiris and I'll still be there, would be crazy not to.

5300 hours just on steam and after this State of the Game I think that's it for me. Retiring at 209x flawless

PVP meta is stale, there's tons of cheaters and Xim/Cronus players and recovs. Playing anything other than solo is asking for a miserable time and solo just isn't that fun

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 5, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
After Final Shape is a natural time to quit, yeah. It's the end of the original story, the end of the original Ten Year Plan, and the end of the game's time as Bungie's core focus (signs that this is already the case notwithstanding)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Clearly, evidentially, not enough. There’s a VAC banned or burner account blatant one in over 10% of matches easily, and that’s just counting the visible ones with minimal observation, not the ones trying to fly under the radar.

I meant more that it was good to have it acknowledged and that they aren't totally oblivious.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They're listening!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They're listening!

For everyone who was flipping their poo poo because bungie didn't release a statement on it and so they assumed bungie was totally fine with everything, yeah, it is good.

The game is good, but Destiny has one of the whiniest goddamn fanbases I've ever seen goddamn. That's not specifically related to the previous statement either.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eh. Depending on what parts of the game you like, it may be better than ever or worst it's ever been

I try not to judge but perhaps I am simply built different

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Shockeh posted:

Thats way underestimating how bad it is on PC. Its easily 90% of PC players. Its not just a PVP problem. Like I just ran into a burner account idiot in Bonfire Bash of all things.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

After Final Shape is a natural time to quit, yeah. It's the end of the original story, the end of the original Ten Year Plan, and the end of the game's time as Bungie's core focus (signs that this is already the case notwithstanding)

It's weird to me that they're trying to rebrand it as "the end of the light/dark saga" instead of "the end of the story" because 1. no one buys that 2. they don't have anything else set up to begin with and 3. everyone knows that they didn't have a long term plan to start with and everything's been retconned a dozen times already. It's fine it's doing that, but, come on Bungie, we know.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

For everyone who was flipping their poo poo because bungie didn't release a statement on it and so they assumed bungie was totally fine with everything, yeah, it is good.

The game is good, but Destiny has one of the whiniest goddamn fanbases I've ever seen goddamn. That's not specifically related to the previous statement either.

Stuff like exotic missions or some seasonal missions are great and fun. It's the cruft in between that's the problem. When they don't add to the base game and only add disposable content it creates a problem. Factor in everything that's happened the past months. That horrible GDC conference that should've never been done, Marathon, lightfall. The lies about the PVP focus and making a dedicated pvp team, seasonal content drying out by week 3 every season, the added grind to everything, the economy changes,. It's a lot. I don't play as much as I used to but I've neverunderstood only playing one game anyway, there's too many other games out right now to put up with this just because the aim assist makes monkey brain feel good.

Blizzard and Bungie are doing the spider man meme at each other right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

RBA Starblade posted:

It's weird to me that they're trying to rebrand it as "the end of the light/dark saga" instead of "the end of the story" because 1. no one buys that 2. they don't have anything else set up to begin with and 3. everyone knows that they didn't have a long term plan to start with and everything's been retconned a dozen times already. It's fine it's doing that, but, come on Bungie, we know.

The especially weird thing is that the light and dark Saga began with Shadowkeep! I wonder what made them draw the line there

Plus, if I was trying to Hype up the last big expansion of Destiny 2, I would try very hard to avoid mentioning shadowkeep