Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

indigi posted:

the Switch voucher I got with TOTK was burning a hole in my pocket and I impulse bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I hope it's not dogshit

better than the previous game for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that's a very worrying review

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

indigi posted:

the Switch voucher I got with TOTK was burning a hole in my pocket and I impulse bought Xenoblade Chronicles 3. I hope it's not dogshit

should’ve got a good game like the super Mario rpg remake

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

indigi posted:

Depends what kind of games you like.

Do you like animes doing melodrama, with some cool cutscenes? Kinda grindy gameplay that centers almost entirely on how you build your party (since you only ever control one character out of six at a time and enemy attacks often can't be avoided)?Then you'll probably like it.

One thing I like about the cutscenes is that they actually answer the usually-unaswered question of "what do characters in JRPGs look like when they're 'actually' fighting things, without the gameplay abstraction?" The game actually shows you how the characters fight when transformed into their big fancy Ouroboros forms.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

I hope it's not dogshit

It's worse than dogshit. It's anime.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

RandolphCarter posted:

should’ve got a good game like the super Mario rpg remake

isn't that a Christmas release. plus I already beat it

Ytlaya posted:

Depends what kind of games you like.

Do you like animes doing melodrama, with some cool cutscenes? Kinda grindy gameplay that centers almost entirely on how you build your party (since you only ever control one character out of six at a time and enemy attacks often can't be avoided)?Then you'll probably like it.

One thing I like about the cutscenes is that they actually answer the usually-unaswered question of "what do characters in JRPGs look like when they're 'actually' fighting things, without the gameplay abstraction?" The game actually shows you how the characters fight when transformed into their big fancy Ouroboros forms.

ok this sounds fine then. thanks

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

you can use the vouchers on preorders

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah but the reason I used it now was because I wanted a game now. if I could wait I would of used it then

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

RandolphCarter posted:

you can use the vouchers on preorders

Buying a voucher for a future preorder seems like heading down a very dark path.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

pikmin4 any good? ive heard no buzz at all. the last kirby got way more attention it feels like

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Xenoblade 3 is good, the only reason I stopped playing is that I was trying to emulate it on Steam Deck and it is apparently unemulatable

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

iirc the main writer/director of xenoblade 3 wanted to give all of the main party members roughly the same amount of dialogue across the whole game. they kinda hosed that up but it's still about a billion times better than other games and i think pretty much any party based RPG should try to copy that specific part if nothing else

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^ Yeah, it's very obvious that they were deliberately trying to do that. It's one thing I like about the game. They make sure that everyone interacts with everyone else, even if some characters are more interesting than others.

Has anyone tried a controller with BG3 yet? I hear it has controller support, and I've gotten to where I very much prefer playing games on the TV while laying in bed (vs sitting at my PC). It seems like there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to select skills and what have you with a controller, especially since it's turn-based.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Ytlaya posted:

Has anyone tried a controller with BG3 yet? I hear it has controller support, and I've gotten to where I very much prefer playing games on the TV while laying in bed (vs sitting at my PC). It seems like there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to select skills and what have you with a controller, especially since it's turn-based.

its coming out on ps5 in september i think so controller support in at least one version is good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/controller-support

devs confirmed its in there day one

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

im 16% downloaded :woop:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, I know it exists, just curious about how good it is. I guess I'll find out later tonight!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I know it exists, just curious about how good it is. I guess I'll find out later tonight!

from what i heard of controller using friends dos2 controller support was quite good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah it wasnt ghastly bad like darkest dungeon 1 for ps4

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

^^ Yeah, it's very obvious that they were deliberately trying to do that. It's one thing I like about the game. They make sure that everyone interacts with everyone else, even if some characters are more interesting than others.

If it's anything like the Divinity: Original Sin 2 controller support it'll outright change the UI around when you're using a controller to better accommodate it. It's great.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Substandard posted:

Buying a voucher for a future preorder seems like heading down a very dark path.

Nintendo sells a voucher for $100 you can use to buy two switch games, so you save money.

Ytlaya posted:

it’s good enough. haven’t played much on my deck but it’s workable. lot of radial menus

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

RandolphCarter posted:

Nintendo sells a voucher for $100 you can use to buy two switch games, so you save money.

lmfao

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the item highlight button is bound to r3 and it’s not a toggle so that’s pretty terrible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

the item highlight button is bound to r3 and it’s not a toggle so that’s pretty terrible.

That's silly, why in the world wouldn't you make that a toggle?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

im gonna gently caress that vampire guy

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

we're gonna gently caress

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i must of missed the vampire guy went straight from the druid grove to the goblin camp never saw em

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

indigi posted:

It's really fun but it takes a certain type of player.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Real hurthling! posted:

pikmin4 any good? ive heard no buzz at all. the last kirby got way more attention it feels like

ya its pikmin 2 with qol changes

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ya its pikmin 2 with qol changes

drat that sounds really good

id say that id wait for a sale, but lol this is nintendo. too many games rn tho, prob will put it off till 2024

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

my only complaint is the coop is really bad

one person gets to play duck hunt, and the other actually plays the game. in 2 they had fully functioning coop

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Very good, strong recommend. Takes the best bits from the first three games and creates a fantastic synthesis.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
rolling a githyanki bard seems like a really funny concept to me, so that's what im going with

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah it’s really good

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
nintendos voucher system is some weird poo poo. i bought the two vouchers, used one for zelda and then preordered pikmin with the other. my nintendo online sub eventually lapsed so they canceled my preorder and i never got pikmin??

i’m fine with it because they announced mario wonder in the meantime and that looks cooler.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Goodbye lizzo emote
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1687144034672812047?t=EQwlV-z9yJUob2bbL5g5CA&s=19

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

That's silly, why in the world wouldn't you make that a toggle?

dumb as hell but I just bound it to a back button on my deck

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

its basically a remake of pikmin 2, and then 1, and also some of 3. and they put the challenge modes into the main game seemlessly.

it's the least compelling story (lol) and there's too much talking but you can press the + button go skip it and get back to gameplay.

flying pikmin suck and don't have their own poo poo anymore pikmin types really feel like they don't matter and the dog is like a giant bulbmin (basically as good as 10 pikmin of any type combined except can't break walls well). no time limit and pikmin are smart and don't die and the aim assist makes it so you never miss or throw too many pikmin. if it had a hard mode that freed the reticule and let me throw more than required it'd be better imo

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:34 on Aug 4, 2023

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Baldur's Gate 3 good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiCfUesJ8qg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i didnt like how 3 was super short and then challenge stuff was post game. its cool they incorporated it all.