Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

A.o.D. posted:

We should treat that as a truthful statement of intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

Do we know which goon built this?

Child-Killing Zipline goon, for sure.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/gigaj0ule/status/1686814611658715136?t=dqrVfVvXDy3W3IEL0u2UQw&s=19

Room-temperature superconductors and a cure for cancer in the same year? Probably just twitter BS, but keep tabs on that.

Pfft, plenty of things kill 100% of tumors yes I'm intentionally ignoring the "no side effects" qualifier shut up

Weren't we also supposed to be getting a cure for the common cold thanks to MRNA vaccines? Come on, it's been a couple of years now, chop chop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There’s no money in people not getting sick.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pfft, plenty of things kill 100% of tumors yes I'm intentionally ignoring the "no side effects" qualifier shut up

Weren't we also supposed to be getting a cure for the common cold thanks to MRNA vaccines? Come on, it's been a couple of years now, chop chop.

It's a tiny bit outside my field but I know a decent bit on these. The cancer drug stuff is exciting, but lots of things fail during or after phase 1 trials, so it's got a ways to go. Nice to know that something promising is out there again though. For mRNA vaccines they are loving awesome and super useful for a lot of reasons but the way that cold viruses mutate makes it a much more diverse / rapidly moving target to develop a suitable vaccine from based on all that I know at present. So, basically a cold vaccine would probably not be very effective for too long. A proper virologist can probably tell me if I am wrong but I am modestly confident that rhinovirus (cold virus) is not a great use case for the mRNA vaccines.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/gigaj0ule/status/1686814611658715136?t=dqrVfVvXDy3W3IEL0u2UQw&s=19

Room-temperature superconductors and a cure for cancer in the same year? Probably just twitter BS, but keep tabs on that.

I can't speak for the validity of the research but Cell Press seems like a legit journal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Press

quote:

Cell Press is an all-science publisher of over 50 scientific journals across the life, physical, earth, and health sciences, both independently and in partnership with scientific societies. Many of Cell Press's journals are among the most reputable in their fields.

Either way hope it leads to a break through, I read a little bit, ok just the summary, and it sounds cool.

Crab Dad posted:

Reminds me of one of the seasons of Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex where that company buys a cure to some cyber brain disease but they were selling their own therapy that they knew didn't work. Of course everyone at the top of the organization got the real cure while they continued to sell the useless therapy. Go figure.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Hannibal Rex posted:

When I saw that posted elsewhere I read that it killed all tumors without effecting normal cells, but it was only for certain kinds of tumors, not all cancer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

People are still going to get sick. This treatment, assuming it works, doesn't prevent people from getting sick.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

People are still going to get sick. This treatment, assuming it works, doesn't prevent people from getting sick.

Yeah but cancer is good for lots of drawn out hospital stays.

This is bad for business.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Hannibal Rex posted:

I said it elsewhere the other day: a corollary to the Anthroponuclear Multiple Worlds Theory is that as the world gets weirder we'll discover more and more unlikely science. Cancer super drugs, room temp super conductors, FTL. All this stuff that was just in front of our faces the whole time being found out in incredibly unlikely coincidence

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oh fun: Two U.S. Navy Sailors Charged With Helping Chinese

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

I said it elsewhere the other day: a corollary to the Anthroponuclear Multiple Worlds Theory is that as the world gets weirder we'll discover more and more unlikely science. Cancer super drugs, room temp super conductors, FTL. All this stuff that was just in front of our faces the whole time being found out in incredibly unlikely coincidence

I'm expecting someone to eventually accidentally figure out how to build a stargate in their garage.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

I'm a federal employee so this might be a violation of the Hatch Act to say this, but personally I'm against Ron DeSantis slitting my throat.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pretty sure TCC goons have already done that.

E: The stargate thing. Probably not the throat slitting. Probably.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I'll believe room temperature super conductors long before I'll believe a cure-all-cancer pill.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I feel like desandypants gave trump some good ammo with the throat slitting bit

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

What valuable information could an MM on an amphib possibly have?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I feel like desandypants gave trump some good ammo with the throat slitting bit
'De Sanctimonious just wants to slit the throats of federal employees like the weak liberal he is, but we are gonna build the biggest, most beautiful federal employee grinder the world has ever seen and we will make them build it themselves'

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Still wild FDR was in his 50s when WWII started.

Presiding over a depression and world war, with polio, definitely ages a person.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Eh, not so much that, but cancer is a fickle disease to treat largely because it's usually our own body going out of whack.

There's no such thing as cures, only successful treatments.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

There was a discussion last night on Bluesky about how the world right now feels completely unmoored. You tell me any news headline and I don't immediately disbelieve it. Aliens? Ok. Antigravity? Gimme a board. Cure for cancer? Why not. Cure for aging? Lfg.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wombot posted:

There was a discussion last night on Bluesky about how the world right now feels completely unmoored. You tell me any news headline and I don't immediately disbelieve it. Aliens? Ok. Antigravity? Gimme a board. Cure for cancer? Why not. Cure for aging? Lfg.

I hope it soothes you to learn people been having those late night discussions for 10,000 years

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

No.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

'De Sanctimonious just wants to slit the throats of federal employees like the weak liberal he is, but we are gonna build the biggest, most beautiful federal employee grinder the world has ever seen and we will make them turn the handle themselves'

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1687197335112335360?t=LxEhORgPGKki7YDPl-9FrA&s=19

:thurman:

e- https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1687269309934915584

:circlefap:

Also, dehumanize yourself and face to the Fourth Mattering:

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1687247169751801856?t=3iOYRQxtu9wRdf-YJHvUYw&s=19

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 4, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Mr. is a perfectly appropriate way to address the president by all current style guides.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

cool, start with your own. in fact don't wait for the election.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Pretty sure TCC goons have already done that.

E: The stargate thing. Probably not the throat slitting. Probably.

There’s probably a 19-page thread in TCC from 2010 with an average 4.14 rating where some poster talks about their experiences with a compound called 5-NMP3s-Dioxide-Ferro-Bismuth-69-DPT-dimethylbenzanote-81, which sets in motion a chain of events where goons discover that heating it to a certain temperature and inhaling it via a balloon gives the user wild hallucinations of the future or times long past. Gradually, this becomes known as “doing the Kessel Run” with posters lambasting others for not doing a high enough dose as “dumping their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.” The thread eventually dwindles off as the most prolific posters abruptly stop posting, leading many to speculate that they’ve OD’d. In actuality, they’ve discovered the first steps toward traveling through time and space, a fact that won’t be realized until archaeologists unearth a new part of the Parisian catacombs and find a slightly newer skeleton wearing a Casio wristwatch next to a much older skeleton with “MY NIGGA HAVE YOU TRIED LSD?!” scrawled on a nearby wall with the ashes of a dead torch.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There’s probably a 19-page thread in TCC from 2010 with an average 4.14 rating where some poster talks about their experiences with a compound called 5-NMP3s-Dioxide-Ferro-Bismuth-69-DPT-dimethylbenzanote-81, which sets in motion a chain of events where goons discover that heating it to a certain temperature and inhaling it via a balloon gives the user wild hallucinations of the future or times long past. Gradually, this becomes known as “doing the Kessel Run” with posters lambasting others for not doing a high enough dose as “dumping their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.” The thread eventually dwindles off as the most prolific posters abruptly stop posting, leading many to speculate that they’ve OD’d. In actuality, they’ve discovered the first steps toward traveling through time and space, a fact that won’t be realized until archaeologists unearth a new part of the Parisian catacombs and find a slightly newer skeleton wearing a Casio wristwatch next to a much older skeleton with “MY NIGGA HAVE YOU TRIED LSD?!” scrawled on a nearby wall with the ashes of a dead torch.
:drat:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
“May you live in interesting times.”

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

The paper describes basically a holy grail cancer drug, they found a molecule that is able to selectively interrupt reproduction of cancer cells across a broad list of cancers, and can cause lethal damage to those cancers via interrupting that process. Normal cells don't interact with the cancer drug, only tumors, so no observed toxicity or side effects in normal cells, since they literally give no fucks about the molecule.

It's neat but until it gets to wider human trials it's mostly theory. Animal models can't simulate all possible interactions of human biology with a drug.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 4, 2023

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I suddenly have hope for society.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

The paper describes basically a holy grail cancer drug, they found a molecule that is able to selectively interrupt reproduction of cancer cells across a broad list of cancers, and can cause lethal damage to those cancers via interrupting that process. Normal cells don't interact with the cancer drug, only tumors, so no observed toxicity or side effects in normal cells, since they literally give no fucks about the molecule.

It's neat but until it gets to wider human trials it's mostly theory. Animal models can't simulate all possible interactions of human biology with a drug.

Yeah, cant recall off the top of my head but I think I recall something else like this popping up before and went into phase 1 and never heard about it again. Could be getting confused.

I am optimistic, but there's a long road from here to functional therapeutic.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
whoops

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1687288034289459201?t=upXwsFVbwfExKgTGkxkDag&s=19

just another one of those instances where Donnie is giving the DOJ to easily clear a very high bar (proving corrupt intent while avoiding first amendment poo poo)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

stealie72 posted:

All the dipshit had to do was shut up, let a couple books get ghost written, and take corporate speaking gigs where he'd spend 30 minutes talking about 9/11, and he would have been set for a life most of us could only dream of obtaining. Instead, he let his loving idiot sexpest id out and here we are.

rudy was a huge piece of poo poo even back before 9/11. people talk about 'oh rudy changed' or his apparent head injury in later years after which he changed, but it's all masking the fact that rudy has always been a human dumpster fire. his political circumstances were better very briefly, but his personal life was always inevitably going to drag him down because rudy is just a bad guy with no values, not even self preservation. dude just thinks with his dick with zero regard for anything else and it's been that way since the judith nathan stuff 20+ years ago

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

:hmmyes:

Wombot posted:

You tell me any news headline and I don't immediately disbelieve it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My first intro to TCC was clicking it on accident, meaning to select GiP, and the top red text(? Something to get your attention besides the all caps RIP GOON) that was the infamous dude who cooked himself/wife asking for help to do some fraud.

That was a real weird thread to fall into thinking it was GiP. I got a few pages in before I realized.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://today.lorientlejour.com/article/1345345/the-ghosts-of-hangar-12.html

Remember when Beirut harbor blew up? That cargo of ammonium nitrate probably was intended for Syria, and a bunch of it might have been gone by the time it exploded. The investigation has since been stymied by assassinations presumably tied to Hezbollah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Herstory Begins Now posted:

rudy was a huge piece of poo poo even back before 9/11. people talk about 'oh rudy changed' or his apparent head injury in later years after which he changed, but it's all masking the fact that rudy has always been a human dumpster fire. his political circumstances were better very briefly, but his personal life was always inevitably going to drag him down because rudy is just a bad guy with no values, not even self preservation. dude just thinks with his dick with zero regard for anything else and it's been that way since the judith nathan stuff 20+ years ago