Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I wear contacts and non-prescription clear or sun glasses because I’m too cheap to buy prescription sports glasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I ended up getting contacts just for DH park days so I can wear good glasses or goggles.

Normal trail days closer to home for an hour or three I wear my normal glasses with some ear holders so they don't fall off.

Bike glasses: got a pair of tifosi with 4 lenses for about $70 and they've been decent though I look like the standard "bald dude complaining about something on tiktok" with them on.

edit: I want to try to get lasik this year

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 3, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I tried biking with safety glasses that were non prescription which wasn't great, and also used my regular glasses which was ok. Next step, I got LASIK and some tifosi glasses with a pair of lenses that work in 95% of conditions. That's been the best, and most expensive. :shepspends:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

I tried biking with safety glasses that were non prescription which wasn't great, and also used my regular glasses which was ok. Next step, I got LASIK and some tifosi glasses with a pair of lenses that work in 95% of conditions. That's been the best, and most expensive. :shepspends:

Is it Lasik or PRK where you have to be careful about action sports? I thought one of them you can relatively easily detach part of your eye if you have a head impact. Not trying to fearmong just curious.

mystes
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Is it Lasik or PRK where you have to be careful about action sports? I thought one of them you can relatively easily detach part of your eye if you have a head impact. Not trying to fearmong just curious.
Isn't that just temporarily after the procedure or no?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mystes posted:

Isn't that just temporarily after the procedure or no?

Sorry I'm not sure. I thought it was one of the things that people take into consideration for the long-term when deciding which procedure to get. I don't wear corrective lenses or have any problems in my life in any way

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

No issues sending it to my face after lasik.

Also get lasik.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My eyes are sadly/thankfully not bad enough to warrant LASIK but just bad enough that I don't like biking without my prescription. Last time I tried to do contacts they felt like hell even after a few days but I need to give it another whirl because managing glasses in general is a pain in the rear end and MTB is one more situation where it's annoying

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
I had a weakish prescription and got LASIK anyway. Best £s I've ever spent

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I got LASIK back in 2012 and I do not regret it one bit. It's just the best thing ever!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Lasik. The eye flap can be dislodged, most especially within the first year, but there have been reports of the eye flap being dislodged years (even over 10 years) later. Very rare for that to happen though, and I'm sure with the new technologies and procedures it's a non-issue.

I had PRK done to avoid that complication (much longer recovery time though). You need a minimum corneal thickness for PRK though, which not everybody has, because they just burn the cornea into a different shape with lasers. Best drat light show I've ever experienced.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

ANYway I was planning a trip to the south chilcotins, which has been completely blown apart because BC is on fire. Was really hoping to get into proper backcountry alpine, but I guess that isn't happening... Looks like the closest thing to it will be Into The Mystic / Lord of the Squirrels in Whistler. 45km / 1800m climb. :Hoot:

Unless somebody can recommend some alpine trails in the interior of BC? A change of scenery is always good.

Exit: is Hoot not a smily? Which one is the goofy cheering guy waving his arms.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Thinking about a dropper post for my ~2007 bike. I've not had one before but at the right price point it seems like it might be a worthwhile improvement, other than the obvious of riding more, over putting money towards a new bike.

The seatpost is 27.2mm and needs external cable routing, it has at least 450mm clearance inside the frame. I'm tall so I would like the actual drop to be as long as possible.

Does anyone have experience of aftermarket droppers, advice, recommendations? I've been doing a bit of research and there aren't exactly a huge range of options; I think Brand-X, PWN, and maybe some others fit the bill, but being a dropped newbie I have no experience on who makes good products. Are there different types of dropped or different mechanisms? So many questions.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aren't the brand-x and pnw ones literally the same product just rebranded?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mystes posted:

Aren't the brand-x and pnw ones literally the same product just rebranded?

I've owned both, and no. The brand x didn't have a valve on the air chamber while my pnw does. The brand x was still a decent dropper for the super low price. I had 2 of them on different bikes without issue. The pnw one I had to completely disassemble and clean (with pretty low miles) to get it working smoothly again. It seems like a magnet for dirt getting under seals even though I only ride in the dry. The bontrager on my trek was not great. No valve and not very serviceable. It would start returning slow and there's not much you could do or clean to get it to go back up.

I'd go bikeyolk if I wanted the best, or brand x/tranz if you wanted cheap.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Aphex- posted:

Yeah I got LASIK back in 2012 and I do not regret it one bit. It's just the best thing ever!

I'm coming up on 20 years since my LASIK. I told everyone I knew to get it. 2 people did have some issues (one had really bad eyesight to start) and the other still complains of dry eyes.

But they don't mountain bike, so don't worry about them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

stratdax posted:

ANYway I was planning a trip to the south chilcotins, which has been completely blown apart because BC is on fire. Was really hoping to get into proper backcountry alpine, but I guess that isn't happening... Looks like the closest thing to it will be Into The Mystic / Lord of the Squirrels in Whistler. 45km / 1800m climb. :Hoot:

Unless somebody can recommend some alpine trails in the interior of BC? A change of scenery is always good.

Paging Pinarello, but I think there are some good trails in and around Kamloops. There's some great trails in Vernon, it's one of the BC Enduro locations. Truly destroyed me so if you're looking for some climbing a la what you mentioned there on Blackcomb, you'll find it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Seven summits trail in Rossland might fit the bill if you’ve not done it as well. It’s not exactly in the interior but the whole area has some amazing riding.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

stratdax posted:

You won't find anything like the Chilcotins anywhere else in BC, in terms of being able to do a multiday alpine ride. If you choose to do it another year I can highly recommend Tyax Adventures for a supported ride. Great to be able to do a multiday trip and not have to carry food/tent, etc.

For rides into the alpine you could also try Frisby Ridge by Revelstoke, though I haven't done it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/tuning/15T05292326

Does anyone know if this setup guide is giving air pressure aiming at 20% sag?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Okay thanks for the suggestions guys, we're meeting up tonight to brainstorm alternatives and I'll float these and see if the rest of the group is interested.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Redvenom posted:

Thinking about a dropper post for my ~2007 bike. I've not had one before but at the right price point it seems like it might be a worthwhile improvement, other than the obvious of riding more, over putting money towards a new bike.

The seatpost is 27.2mm and needs external cable routing, it has at least 450mm clearance inside the frame. I'm tall so I would like the actual drop to be as long as possible.

Does anyone have experience of aftermarket droppers, advice, recommendations? I've been doing a bit of research and there aren't exactly a huge range of options; I think Brand-X, PWN, and maybe some others fit the bill, but being a dropped newbie I have no experience on who makes good products. Are there different types of dropped or different mechanisms? So many questions.

With the dropper fully extended, will you be able to set the seat post, with seat, to your preferred seat post height?

I just got a 150mm dropper for my bike, which is what is specced for my frame, and it’s maybe 5 mm too long. I didn’t think about that and it’s quite annoying to me. Have to fiddle with it more than I want to get it close on the return.

Also get a nice lever. The one that came with mine was terrible so I got a Wolf Tooth light action which improved the experience a lot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

I've owned both, and no. The brand x didn't have a valve on the air chamber while my pnw does. The brand x was still a decent dropper for the super low price. I had 2 of them on different bikes without issue. The pnw one I had to completely disassemble and clean (with pretty low miles) to get it working smoothly again. It seems like a magnet for dirt getting under seals even though I only ride in the dry. The bontrager on my trek was not great. No valve and not very serviceable. It would start returning slow and there's not much you could do or clean to get it to go back up.

I'd go bikeyolk if I wanted the best, or brand x/tranz if you wanted cheap.
Huh I guess the internet lied to me. Luckily after considering a pnw one that was on sale from rei I ended up ordering a brand x one from wiggle because the brand x one included a lever.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

mystes posted:

Huh I guess the internet lied to me. Luckily after considering a pnw one that was on sale from rei I ended up ordering a brand x one from wiggle because the brand x one included a lever.

It's possible it has changed. My PNW is newer than the brand X ones I had previously but definitely different. The brand X lever isn't anything special but gets the job done. Easy to upgrade later if you like.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean it was just some random comment on another website and googling it some other people claim the same thing, but it's very likely that the people saying they were identical were just wrong

There might be different models though. The one I ordered was the brand-x "ascend II dropper" and it wasn't clear how it was different from the "ascend dropper" which was also available (I just ordered the ascend II one because it was available with the right amount of travel with the right diameter with the lever for a 1x setup)

I have to figure out how to actually install it now having zero experience with internal routing ever or pay someone to do it

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 5, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ascend is for bikes with provisions for internal dropper cable routing.

Ascend II has the cable come out the top of the seat tube so that it can be routed externally.

That is it. That is the difference.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
All those posts are made by Trans-X (big OEM supplier) and rebranded with slight variations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Ascend is for bikes with provisions for internal dropper cable routing.

Ascend II has the cable come out the top of the seat tube so that it can be routed externally.

That is it. That is the difference.
oh gently caress I guess I didn't read very carefully

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

MarxCarl posted:

With the dropper fully extended, will you be able to set the seat post, with seat, to your preferred seat post height?

I just got a 150mm dropper for my bike, which is what is specced for my frame, and it’s maybe 5 mm too long. I didn’t think about that and it’s quite annoying to me. Have to fiddle with it more than I want to get it close on the return.

Also get a nice lever. The one that came with mine was terrible so I got a Wolf Tooth light action which improved the experience a lot.

this is one of the greatest features about some of the new droppers, like the one up and pnw loam, the tool free travel adjust with a shim. My bike's dropper insertion is kinda terrible, and im about as short as i could be a ride a medium, so ive got a 150 dropper adjusted down to 135 i think. Not ideal, but still slightly better than 125. Great feature, without it, the dropper would be unusable in my opinion. I really feel like the top out of the dropper has to be my full pedaling height, otherwise it changes the dropper from up and down all the time the way we all use them, to like only being used when it needs to be down all the way for an extended period, like we did putting the seat down before droppers, because its too much of a pita to get the height right at the top.

Also, any of you guys caught the new film "Nothings for free"? not to give anything away, but i think everyone whos even a little interested in mountain bikes should watch it. Some really heavy stuff, emotions, impacts, sends. I dont huck myself off things, and i wasnt super into freeride as a kid so theres less nostalgia for me, but i felt this film really hard.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Went OTB at the weekend over a drop I should've managed. Tweaked myself a bit, quite annoyed.

Ordered a Brand-X Ascend II dropper post this morning. Unfortunately the range of options available in my seatpost diameter are limited and best I can get is a 105mm drop which is less than half my seatpost height. Oh well, better than nothing. If I like the dropper experience then I can always start saving towards a newer bike instead.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I've had a Brand-X Ascend-II dropper for a few years now, it's been absolutely great for the money. Kinda heavy but always worked well.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Rode Into The Mystic / Lord of the Squirrels yesterday. So epic. We extended the ride into With a Twist and the start of Pot of Gold. I wanted to keep going further into Pot of Gold but my buddies were at their breaking point. We also did the first section of Rush Hour and Happy Hour. I think I pissed off everybody I was riding with by wanting to make it a full epic and do all the extensions, but whatever, I made it clear at the planning stages that it wasn't a pleasure cruise and there will be Suffering. But some people invited other people to come, who showed up not really knowing what they were getting into, so it is what it is. However, turned out it was for the best, because at the end of the ride we did do my bottom bracket was creaking like crazy, my headset was clicking and cracking, and my dropper seized up. Time for a major maintenance. Once all that's taken care of I think I'll go back solo (or maybe with like, one other rider who enjoys Type 3 fun).

Swimming in one of the ponds at the top was incredibly revitalizing. The alpine riding was spectacular. The ride down LOTS was a bit gnarlier than expected. I was thinking it would be very smoothed out (as the climb up Into the Mystic was) but there were some sections that could give intermediate riders an issue. The most fun part of the entire ride was Chipmunk Rebellion at the very end. I slept 11 hours and had a nap today.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/56255664/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brBoKtjTOg4

Edit: Oh yeah, these are fantastic for climbing. Dorky? Yes. Worth it? Also yes. I was on them basically the entire climb.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 14, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Conventional wisdom is that for climbing you want to be upright and back more, not forward/aero. Open up your diaphragm for more air and all. Bar ends rule though, nothing dorky about em'.

EDIT: I may be assuming wrong about where you are positioning/how you're using them.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

They were mounted inside of the handlebar grips, between them and the brake levers (and facing up). So my hands were closer to shoulder width apart (rather than the wide 800mm grip of my bars). This did have the effect of putting me more upright, and prevented the usual strain on my shoulders and neck. Much more comfortable and natural position for my hands. I also felt like I was able to pull on them and put more power down through the pedals. For techy climbs they would be useless but for the big smooth climb of Into The Mystic they were great, even on the tight switchbacks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They didn't call those things Barinds?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I rode a transmission drivetrain. Pretty amazing. You can shift at any moment and it’s always smooth. Even standing on the pedals. Not a fan of the new shifter pod. I like the alternate trigger style shifter from the previous generation.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

n8r posted:

I rode a transmission drivetrain. Pretty amazing. You can shift at any moment and it’s always smooth. Even standing on the pedals. Not a fan of the new shifter pod. I like the alternate trigger style shifter from the previous generation.

Can you tell us which one? I've been looking into those recently and if it they didn't cost $texas I'd probably have one on at least my street bike.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Derailleur was GX. I didn’t inspect anything else.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Looking for recommendations for rides in the Seattle area. I just got out here and did the Tolt pipeline trail, including hollywood hill on my upgraded krampus:

I just rode Tiger Mountain last week, just the Iverson trail (blue square difficulty) up to the fire road, and then up to a summit on that which kicked rear end. I was eyeballing Crystal Mountain next, but I know I must be missing a ton of excellent rides.

I'm looking for safe, scenic, well marked rides. I'm a pretty technical but not amazing rider. I can do berms, rollers, big climbs, fast descents, skinny sections and tire rides but not mandatory jumps and really jarring steep suspension bike type stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Duthie hill (and the XC trail across from it), Black diamond, Swan Creek. There are more but I've forgotten the names. Open Trailforks and zoom out to find local spots.

Did you make it up hollywood/heart attack hill without putting a foot down?